DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I bought Horizon: Zero Dawn complete on Steam during the sale, so once I finish this run of Final Fantasy II (pixel remaster version) I'll get into that.

I'm so pissed the pixel remasters aren't on sale. I'm hoping they go on a sale, even a little bit, during their Winter sale. And also Final Fantasy X/X-2.

I still need to dig in deeper to Chrono Trigger, too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

should I buy a new copy or just get Xbox Game Pass? 

I always recommend Game Pass

And knowing how much you tend to like smaller indie games - I think you will find a bunch of other stuff on it to your liking

(Also - since you tend to be down on a lot of AAA titles - it is a good way to play some without having to outright buy them)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I'm so pissed the pixel remasters aren't on sale. I'm hoping they go on a sale, even a little bit, during their Winter sale. And also Final Fantasy X/X-2.

I still need to dig in deeper to Chrono Trigger, too.

I'm probably finally getting what I don't have on the Switch the next eshop sale and just make playing FF my lunch routine at work (probably gonna try and grab Octopath for cheap that way too).

I wish the pixel remasters would come to console, although, I may finally pair a controller with my phone and play that way. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I always recommend Game Pass

And knowing how much you tend to like smaller indie games - I think you will find a bunch of other stuff on it to your liking

(Also - since you tend to be down on a lot of AAA titles - it is a good way to play some without having to outright buy them)

I know I’ll be playing Sports Story on the Switch soon, but I won’t be able to play it at work while on dayshift. 

25 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I know I’ll be playing Sports Story on the Switch soon, but I won’t be able to play it at work while on dayshift. 

You will spend HOURS playing PowerWash Simulator if you get GamePass.

Speaking of Game Pass, I figured something out yesterday. I went through all the games I played this year through Game Pass and what I scored them at. I've been subscribed all year and have played 32 games (and possibly 34 by the end of the year). I've liked 15 of them. I have the Game Pass Ultimate so I'm paying $15 a month, or $180 a year. To play all the games I played/intend to play this year without game pass, it would have cost me $855. And again, I only liked about half of them, so something like $400-440 would have been on stuff I regretted paying for or actively disliked.

EDIT: Another way to look at it is, three games in my top 5 for 2022 came from Game Pass (and that's true whether Pentiment ends up in my top 5 or not) Proof:

1. Elden Ring
2. SIGNALIS (game pass)
3. Splatoon 3
4. As Dusk Falls (game pass)
5. Weird West (game pass)

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988
  • Like 2

I bought an ecletcic selections of things in the Steam autumn sale (it's been winter here for weeks I'm Canadian), because I am a dummy who hates money

Dying Light

Parkasaurus

Not For Broadcast

Castlevania Advance Collection

Monster Train

Will I actually isntall and play any of these at any point in the forseeable future? No man can say.

• Like 1

I got Monster Train in the Steam sale.  Only played two runs but it seems like a totally acceptable Slay The Spire knockoff.

Other than that mostly just playing Rogue Legacy 2.  Only one more class to unlock and then like a thousand different traits and relics.

Few of the Ultra Kaiju Monster Rancher fusions

Red King Gomora                                       Gomora Red King 

c7391a97188a1c8c16ce6eed7b2887e0.webp8a6336bfa6e2bd63b7a6573e0d18f1c2.webp

One of the 3 Belial's Fusion

Skull Gomora

c1baf0580956874499e3cfdf474e3e6c.webp

Anyway 220 monsters. Some of the monsters get festival looks and some get fusion homages based on monsters from old Monster Rancher games.  

7 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I bought Sonic Frontiers for PS5. 

Could be my personal GotY or Sonic '06 or anywhere in between. Let's find out!

Its... interesting.  

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Its... interesting.  

What I've heard and read is basically this, and that the range of feelings about this goes from "interesting, but bad" to "flawed GotY because of what it's trying to achieve."

I don't think there's ever been a good fully-3D Sonic game, so I'm excited to find out if Sonic Team finally figured it out after 25 years. 

I have started playing Pokemon Violet (My son is playing Scarlet - he has already blown me off to play with his friends)

It is my first full Pokemon game (not counting Pokemon Go)

Fortunately, so far I haven't run into any of the performance issues that dominated the stories around its release.

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

My son's exact quote

"It is your first time through the game - just use your starter Pokemon to win 95% of the battles"

After all of these years and the thousands of jokes at my expense, we're now at the point in our lives when your kid is the one that treats you like you are a dumbass and I am the one smirking.

My daughter will be 20 in December.  She no longer thinks I am stupid.  She thinks I am senile.  She constantly tells me not to forget to make sure I have Excedrin on hand to counteract my monthly migraine.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

After all of these years and the thousands of jokes at my expense, we're now at the point in our lives when your kid is the one that treats you like you are a dumbass and I am the one smirking.

My daughter will be 20 in December.  She no longer thinks I am stupid.  She thinks I am senile.  She constantly tells me not to forget to make sure I have Excedrin on hand to counteract my monthly migraine.

• Haha 1

I came so close to buying Dying Light 2 and ultimately passed on it because I'm deep into Elden Ring and I have other games to play in my backlog as well, like Guardians of the Galaxy and Disco Elysium.

As for Sonic Frontiers, the consistent messaging across the podcasts I listen to is that it's almost like someone's first attempt at an open world game back when people first started making open world games. Others compared it to the more boring parts of Mario Odyssey, others said it's like a janky Breath of the Wild, and I really don't know what to think. I'm going to wait until it's half off, but I do want to play it just to see what this thing is.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Which one did you pick? The duck with the pompadour? 

The cat because I was told to pick them

Left to my own devices, I probably would have picked the dumbass fire Hippo