DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

On 11/18/2022 at 6:24 AM, Death From Above said:

Nintendo stopping people from enjoying Nintendo nostalgia even though they have zero desire to do anything with said nostalgia is the most Nintendo shit imaginable. I honestly don't know how that company survives itself.

Nintendo: We hate our customers. 

Also Nintendo: Look at Kirby eat this car and now he's a car VROOOOOM.

That's how.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Sir, where can I buy his car-eating game?

Have you not played 2022 GotY contender (in my heart) Kirby and the Forgotten Land yet?

Do yourself a favor and get it (especially if you can catch it on sale this shopping season). It rules so much.

22 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Have you not played 2022 GotY contender (in my heart) Kirby and the Forgotten Land yet?

Nope. Never even heard of it. I've never played a Kirby game. Also don't own a Switch. I was thinking of getting on for Return to Monkey Island, but it has a Linux version now, so I can play it with a proper mouse.

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

Nope. Never even heard of it. I've never played a Kirby game. Also don't own a Switch. I was thinking of getting on for Return to Monkey Island, but it has a Linux version now, so I can play it with a proper mouse.

Ah, I see. Kirby games are really interesting and run the gamut from "easy, but pretty to look at" to "deceptively challenging to 100%," but Forgotten Land is spectacular. 

If you ever do get a Switch, I'd go so far as to call it essential playing. 

28 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Ah, I see. Kirby games are really interesting and run the gamut from "easy, but pretty to look at" to "deceptively challenging to 100%," but Forgotten Land is spectacular. 

If you ever do get a Switch, I'd go so far as to call it essential playing. 

And you say this Kirby fellow can eat a car? And then become a car? Like a cannibalistic Transformer? 

Well, I want to play Pentiment, so I guess it's off to eBay to buy a used Steam Link.

I knew I should have bought one when Valve was selling them off for pennies. 

I randomly decided to install Anthem since it’s on Gamepass through EA Play.

so… why all of the hate for the game? It’s a fun looter shooter with an addictive flight mechanic and cool suit powers. I guess I understand if you paid for it when it was full price, but it just seems like knockoff Destiny game in an Iron Man suit.

And its matchmaking is still active (during the day), surprisingly. Unless these are bots made to have usernames like they’re a real person, like Epic does with Fortnite.

Edited by Casey

I'm just through the first act of Pentiment, and it's pretty awesome so far. I mean, the first thirty seconds are frustrating, but that's a quibble. Lots of opportunities to define your character through choices, which implies lots of replay value.

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 1

A hard drive with all my art and videos and music and record masters and everything died this week, so in my next step of my Infinite Plan To Avoid Thinking About That, here's some game reviews.

SURVIVOR.IO [2]
VAMPIRE SUVIVORS [2]

So when a new genre-thing emerges from the muck I feel a misplaced responsibility to give it a shot, and I don't feel like that's paid off less than it has with these two. It doesn't help that both developers are pretty open about how they're designed to be addictive and exploitative, though at least the Vampire Survivors guy only wants to eat your time. It's unsettling to me, on top of it being basically a simulated action game. Whatever. I'm not the audience, and I worry that they don't respect their audience, but I feel divested from trying to talk about that.

SIGNALIS [4]
In a year where Elden Ring doesn't come out, this is the game of the year. It's an instant classic survival horror game that's moved me to awe, wonder, and a little bit of the old existential dread. Fabulous, clever, confident. I do not want to talk about what happens in it. I want people to play it. Highest recommendation.

I have four additional games I intend to play this year: Pentiment (just got past class creation, it's super charming), Warhammer Darktide (cuz friends), Hardship Spacebreaker (might not get to this one) and the graphical release of Dwarf Fortress (cuz if I can't get in once they have a tutorial and graphics then I'm not gonna get into it).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

VAMPIRE SUVIVORS [2]

So when a new genre-thing emerges from the muck I feel a misplaced responsibility to give it a shot, and I don't feel like that's paid off less than it has with these two. It doesn't help that both developers are pretty open about how they're designed to be addictive and exploitative, though at least the Vampire Survivors guy only wants to eat your time. It's unsettling to me, on top of it being basically a simulated action game. Whatever. I'm not the audience, and I worry that they don't respect their audience, but I feel divested from trying to talk about that.

My favorite videogames podcast - Get Played - had one of the three hosts mentioning this game for quite a while before they all finally reviewed/played it, and it was SO relieving to hear that one of them really didn't enjoy this kind of non-game. I get why it would appeal to some people, but it sounds like an absolute waste of time to me...

My condolences on your loss 😔

On 11/22/2022 at 4:33 AM, Casey said:

I randomly decided to install Anthem since it’s on Gamepass through EA Play.

so… why all of the hate for the game? It’s a fun looter shooter with an addictive flight mechanic and cool suit powers. I guess I understand if you paid for it when it was full price, but it just seems like knockoff Destiny game in an Iron Man suit.

And its matchmaking is still active (during the day), surprisingly. Unless these are bots made to have usernames like they’re a real person, like Epic does with Fortnite.

Because when it first came out it was horribly broken, the grind was hideous and repetitive

It was basically Marvel Avengers before Marvel Avengers

They are barely supporting the game now (The cancelled Anthem 2.0 like 18 months ago) and the fact that EA hasn't shut down the servers is probably the most shocking thing about the game.

Ironically, there is also a lot of lingering resentment (and I am in this camp) that Mass Effect Andromeda was abandoned (including cancelling the planned DLC) to move all available resources to work on Anthem and then Anthem was a dead game in basically the span of 2 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, christopher.annino said:

My favorite videogames podcast - Get Played - had one of the three hosts mentioning this game for quite a while before they all finally reviewed/played it, and it was SO relieving to hear that one of them really didn't enjoy this kind of non-game. I get why it would appeal to some people, but it sounds like an absolute waste of time to me...

My condolences on your loss 😔

Yeah. Nextlander and Gerstman have been talking up Vampire Survivors for what feels like months now and I decided to give it a shot. Honestly, I think the game sucks and I don't even think it's a matter of me not being the target audience for it. It's just not fun or addicting to play, not in the way they make it sound like it is, and I know it's going to be really high up on their GOTY lists. So I too am also happy to learn that I'm not alone in thinking this game is the shits and a waste of time and money.

On another note, I had not finished Stray yet and now I won't. My daughter's friend came over to stay the night and she totally spoiled the ending for me. I gave the appropriate equivalent of a "dude, what the fuck, why would you spoil that" to a 13 year old. But honestly, dude, what the fuck, why would you spoil that? Kids...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

On another note, I had not finished Stray yet and now I won't. My daughter's friend came over to stay the night and she totally spoiled the ending for me. I gave the appropriate equivalent of a "dude, what the fuck, why would you spoil that" to a 13 year old. But honestly, dude, what the fuck, why would you spoil that? Kids...

Oh that suuuuucks, I'm sorry. I'd honestly say it's worth finishing still because it's a really visually satisfying end and still should hold some emotional impact - plus it's pretty short. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yes. Once again, kids...

At least on the flip side, you don't have to play through all the terrible stealth gameplay to know the ending now!

• Haha 1