DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Robert s said:

I recently finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey and after 75 hours or so I am thinking about taking on a shorter game for now... Wait, Persona 5 Royal is now on GamePass?

Lol, I put well over 200 hours into Persona 5 Royal.

11 hours ago, Robert s said:

I recently finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey and after 75 hours or so I am thinking about taking on a shorter game for now... Wait, Persona 5 Royal is now on GamePass?

If you go through and beat the original Persona 5 on PS4, then Persona 5 Royal on PS4 then Persona 5 Royal on PS5, it'll still be shorter than trying to 100% Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:01 AM, Andrew POE! said:

If you go through and beat the original Persona 5 on PS4, then Persona 5 Royal on PS4 then Persona 5 Royal on PS5, it'll still be shorter than trying to 100% Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

I got as much out of Odyssey as I wanted. I finished the main quest, a seizable amount of secondary quests (incl. getting rid of all cultists) and resolved all question marks on the islands and I would say about 2/3 on the mainland. At this point (well, you could say that you reach that point already 10 hours or so in), the game became too repetitve to investe any more time.

Rogue Legacy 2 got a surprise Switch release yesterday.  I put about two hours into it last night.  It's mostly good, definitely feels like more Rogue Legacy and I dig the new art style.  It feels like maybe they stacked a couple too many systems on top of it, but that could also just be a bunch of new stuff getting introduced right away.  It also feels a little easier at the beginning than the first one did.  Overall I'm looking forward to sinking an obscene number of hours into it.

27 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Rogue Legacy 2 got a surprise Switch release yesterday.  I put about two hours into it last night.  It's mostly good, definitely feels like more Rogue Legacy and I dig the new art style.  It feels like maybe they stacked a couple too many systems on top of it, but that could also just be a bunch of new stuff getting introduced right away.  It also feels a little easier at the beginning than the first one did.  Overall I'm looking forward to sinking an obscene number of hours into it.

I'm really happy to see that it dropped much earlier than I was expecting. Another game to add to the increasing number of new purchases, but I feel like this will definitely be getting a fair bit of my game playing time.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 12:17 PM, Liam said:

I'm really happy to see that it dropped much earlier than I was expecting. Another game to add to the increasing number of new purchases, but I feel like this will definitely be getting a fair bit of my game playing time.

I put a few more hours into it and I'm really hooked.  There are so many more classes and more options to play with.  It's almost leaning more towards Dead Cells than the first RL.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I put a few more hours into it and I'm really hooked.  There are so many more classes and more options to play with.  It's almost leaning more towards Dead Cells than the first RL.

It's almost a bit overwhelming. Still only a couple of hours in, but as there are so many different mechanics, just trying to get my head around it. However, the room by room combat and puzzling is still as fun as ever.

I've been playing XCOM 2: War of the Chosen with the infamous Long War mod, because once again, I only play games starting from the "Dark Souls 1 is actually easy" point on the scale.

Also I'm playing on Ironman mode because sure, let's do that.

I stress age an entire family sized bag of jalapeno cheetos during a mission today, it's going really well. Love it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Figures that once I burn out yet again on Witcher 3 and get hip-deep in a Fallout 4 playthrough that CDPR announces the next-gen update will be out 12/14.  I'm stuck in 2015 this year.

Fallout 4 is getting a next gen update in a few months too 😝

I’m stuck in 2011, since apparently I bought a SteamDeck just to play Skyrim constantly.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Figures that once I burn out yet again on Witcher 3 and get hip-deep in a Fallout 4 playthrough that CDPR announces the next-gen update will be out 12/14.  I'm stuck in 2015 this year.

What's insane is it's likely to be the FOURTH trophy stack for the game. On PSNProfiles guide for the game, it takes 145 hours to complete the entire game including doing DLC and getting the Platinum. Doing it four times means....580 hours. So if you did nothing but play The Witcher 3 and didn't sleep or eat or take a break, it would take you almost a month to do that. Unless you have it on PC, then you don't have to worry about that. 

Now THAT'S burnout.

I just saw the next gen upgrade for Witcher 3 when I hopped on my PS5 last night. Fuck yeah. As long as it doesn't bork my save then I'm stoked. Maybe I'll have Elden Ring finally finished by then.

I’m curious what the upgrades will be for the Series S, since that’s where I’ll get it most likely. I have the second one on Xbox already, and I’m really anal about keeping game franchises on one system and not spreading them out. It’s why I haven’t bought any Resident Evil games on Xbox, since I have like 5 of them on PlayStation.

On 11/15/2022 at 11:22 PM, Gonzo said:

If, for whatever reason, you've ever felt compelled to read all 285 issues of Nintendo Power, then today is your lucky day.

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-power-archive-org-magazine-issues-online-read-1849785150

Archive.org: We Deliver. What a treasure trove that entire site is.

On 11/15/2022 at 10:22 PM, Gonzo said:

If, for whatever reason, you've ever felt compelled to read all 285 issues of Nintendo Power, then today is your lucky day.

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-power-archive-org-magazine-issues-online-read-1849785150

These have been available for quite a while now over at Retromags (https://www.retromags.com/files/category/97-nintendo-power/). 

Retromags is made up of the people who are actually scanning and archiving these (and so many other) old game mags. I suspect that the archive files are actually just ripped from Retromags, although i haven't checked. That was the case the last time a huge archive.org NP dump came out (and received a C&D from Nintendo).