DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

There is apparently an upside to breaking your sleep pattern in prep for working graveyard shift starting tomorrow night.  I've been playing the demo for The DioField Chronicle since 3AM EDT and it is pretty fucking good.  It is Fire Emblem-esque RTS goodness and I officially accept Squeenix's apology for not porting the next Ogre Battle / Tactics game to S/X.  I may have to purchase the entire game for Christmas so it can consume all of my vacation time.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I love this fuckin' SteamDeck. I wish the storage went further, but that's a problem with every console (64GB model isn't a true 64GB capacity). I already had to buy a SD card, but I had some Amazon giftcards laying around so it wasn't a big deal.

Figuring out stuff like custom boot screens and adding the GOG, Epic and Xbox Cloud launchers are game changers. Well, boot screens might not change anything performance/having access to games on other clients, but it's cool as fuck to turn it on and have it act like a Pip Boy 3000 for a few seconds. But the GOG/Epic launchers are, especially if you claim most of the free stuff like I do (even though I've never had a good PC). This is mainly exciting for me since now I don't have to re-buy the entire Tomb Raider franchise, I have everything ever released between those two launchers.

Also - community controller layouts are a god send. I bought the Prince of Persia trilogy, and started up Sands of Time. By default it's set to mouse and keyboard, and the controller config that Valve pushes at you doesn't work. But the community have already made a custom layout for the SteamDeck, and it works flawlessly.

I'll jump into game mods (for New Vegas) and emulation eventually. I probably need to buy a mini-keyboard and mouse since I don't have any bluetooth ones laying around. Lotta input commands for the latter and that's all I'll say about that.

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

I'm not sure I understand this lawsuit. Jane Doe reported the behavior and the guy was fired a month later. That seems like a pretty timely and appropriate response but she's alleging they didn't do enough. I'm not sure what else they should have done. 

• Thanks 1

EA is shutting down the online servers for several older games

October 20, 2022

Army of Two: The 40th Day
Army of Two: The Devil’s Cartel
Dragon Age: Origins (Multiplayer Screenshots Server)

November 9, 2022

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
Command & Conquer 3: Kane’s Wrath
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

November 30, 2022

Onrush

January 19, 2023

Mirror’s Edge
NBA Jam: On Fire Edition
Gatling Gears
Shank 2

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

EA is shutting down the online servers for several older games

Here's some info to keep in mind:

- Army of Two The 40th Day is obtainable except for DIY PMC trophy. Certainly there's a website method someone created but it's very tricky to get it to connect multiplayer. At least one person got it to work.

-Army of Two Devil's Cartel has no online trophies and can be done solo.

- Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 on PS3 will freeze your PS3 if you attempt to connect to multiplayer. Sure, you can mess with your network and set it to NAT1 and it might work, but there's a slew of other bugs that will cause problems.

- Mercenaries 2: World in Flames on PS3 has the same issue as C&C Red Alert 3 but it's more manageable. I was able to connect to someone who helped me with the co-op trophies in April.

- Onrush is a lot of fun and I did it all in a week. Some people want to boost it and for whatever reason don't actually want to play it; I knew one person who did an AFK method to get Gear/XP trophies.

- Mirror's Edge (PS3) other than being ridiculously hard will still be obtainable after the server shutdown.

-NBA Jam: On Fire Edition should not be attempted; the leaderboard/stats aren't saving so if you care about online trophies, it won't be obtainable.

-Gatling Gears has one co-op trophy, I'll be doing this online with someone.

-Shank 2's campaign can be done offline. Survival Mode is easier done online. I'll be doing that one too online with someone.

Edited by Andrew POE!

The RPG community has lost a great friend.

Bethesda Softworks senior designer, Ferret Baudoin, has died. The cause of death has not been released, but a tribute page on Facebook said he "passed suddenly" on October 15, "surrounded by his family and friends."

News of Baudoin's death was shared on Twitter by former Fallout 76 project lead Jeff Gardiner, who described Baudoin as "an eternal optimist and dear friend," and a deeply dedicated RPG fan.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

HYPER DEMON [4]
mm now that's a tasty video game. It's a first person arcade game. It's the most visually overwhelming game I've played since Polybius.
EXTREME EPILEPSY WARNING: It Looks Like This when you're good at it. I'm not good at it. I might never be. I'm so glad it exists.

RESTARTED YAKUZA LIKE A DRAGON [4]
yakuza good i like

SLICE & DICE 2.0 [3]
I didn't know this game was working on updates at any point. Turns out it just completely remade every part of the game, to like a sequel's amount of depth and changes, and didn't charge me for it again! Woohoo! But my save wouldn't transport over for some mysterious reason which means I have lost everything I had unlocked before. Boo. Also all the fun builds I exploited for easy wins are completely removed. The three score is entirely because of that. (quick scale reminder: 1 = hate, 2 = regret, 3 = don't regret, 4 = love). Gameplay wise, it's a 4.

Now for a more surface level explanation: Slice & Dice is a run based roguelike where the player has five characters with different classes (agility, strength, defense, healing, magic) and each character class has dice. So like a defender's dice will have Shield 2, Shield 1, etc. The trick is, there's 100 different character classes, separated among levels (5 of each type for level 1, then 8 of each for levels 2 & 3), and only limited choices on which ones you get. So, it's really hard to have runs go the same way. On top of that, there's 354 different kinds of items to get that all provide different modifications to the characters. There's also 16 different play modes, that all play extremely differently, and leaderboards. This game's like $4 I think? It's on phones, it's got a demo, try it out, it's sick.

SCORN [2]
This is so close to being so cool, but I can't recommend it and I don't think I'm going to finish it. And yet for all the complaints I have about it, the game is called Scorn, so I suppose I don't know what I expected. It's the first game that's ever made me seriously consider trying Pathologic 2. If you like Survival Horror, with a game that checkpoints about as often as you found save points in Silent Hill 1 or Resident Evil, you may like Scorn. If you like Pathologic, well, I didn't know anyone on this board liked that game and you should know the comparison point is specifically in the combat and not all the RPG parts.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988

Not exactly big video game news, but Jeff Gerstmann revealed he was actually fired from Giant Bomb by Red Ventures. It sounded like he went to them to put in his two weeks or whatever to say he was planning on leaving and they told him, nah, we'll just let you go today, bye.

That would explain the very weird promo video Giant Bomb did the day Jeff left and why Jeff had to throw together his Patreon and podcast on the fly the week he was fired like he did.

I still listen to Giant Bomb and I like the people on there, mainly Jan, Jeff Grubb, and Jess, but it still isn't the same. Nextlander is the closest thing that comes to filling that void because it's Vinny, Alex, and Brad. Jeff on his own is ok, I guess, but his podcast is way better when he was a guest with him. The Bombcast just feels like it's less and less about video games and more about personalities.

46 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

GoG Galaxy is now available via Epic, and quite frankly, for ease of finding all my games across EA/Xbox GamePass PC, Steam, Epic, and GoG), it's become my #1 client for PC gaming

Other than a new issue with the Ubisoft launcher constantly logging me out, I'm with you. All your games all in one place - I love Galaxy. I've got GoG, Steam, Epic, Amazon, Ubi and regular PC all in the one client. 

As a reward for surviving the week since my hospital visit, I grabbed a Steam deal on the Final Fantasy I - VI pixel remasters (minus the one I already had). I am going to beat FF IV (II in the old numbering) if it kills me, I've never gotten past about 3/4ths of the game.

• Like 4

Fans think Pokemon Black and White are expected to be remade next. Problem is those games are the least performing games sales wise, questionable designs, the problem of what to do about Black and White 2.

Even if do they remake those games,  like the lastest remakes the total Pokemon in game for the Gen 5 remakes wouldn't go past Gen 5.

Edited by Red King

I got tired of my PS4 sounding like a jet engine when I tried to play anything more intense than Binding of Isaac, so I hopped on one of the PS5 Costco bundles.  Pretty good so far, definitely feels like a fairly minor evolution from the last generation, although the smooth frame rates and faster loading times are nice.  The only things I've jumped into are a bit of AssCreed Valhalla and Stray, which is absolutely delightful so far.

I also jumped on the PS Extra since upgrading was cheaper than just buying Stray.  That is a lot of games to mess with.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JLSigman said:

As a reward for surviving the week since my hospital visit, I grabbed a Steam deal on the Final Fantasy I - VI pixel remasters (minus the one I already had). I am going to beat FF IV (II in the old numbering) if it kills me, I've never gotten past about 3/4ths of the game.

Fun game, played it for the first time a couple years ago (though it was the 3D remake, the gameplay is pretty much the same). Also the Red Wings Theme is an all-timer.

• Like 1

I can’t begin to tell you how awesome it is to play stuff on SteamDeck that’s been lost to time due to rights expiring, never being available digitally, etc.

I was playing some X-Men Origins: Wolverine and WWE All-Stars earlier today. Sound is a little off on Wolverine, but both of them play pretty very well (but locked to 30fps). No Mercy running at a very consistent 60fps and looks upscaled, it’s great.

Now if only I could figure out how to get the original American McGee’s Alice. I’ve heard buying EA games on Steam is a chore right now due to their new launcher or whatever the fuck. Maybe I’ll just settle for having it on Game Pass.

I did buy a few games from the Steam Halloween sale, though. Finally grabbed the other two games that the creators of Cosmic Star Heroine made, The Evil Within, Blood Knights, System Shock 2, Black Mesa and… lol, Skyrim.

• Haha 2

My JRPG backlog has become a Sisyphean gigglefest. I am more than halfway done with Ys Seven, SMT IV, Mega Man Battle Network 2, Pokemon White, Atelier Sophie, Etrian Odyssey Untold and Trails In The Sky 3 and I'm not in the home stretch of any of them.

I'm having my "reggae moment" with modern WRPGs. When I was 14 I thought I didn't like reggae but it turns out I was just ambivalent about Bob Marley. My attempts to enjoy anything Elder Scrolls as a younger man simillarly clouded my mind. I'm not saying Dragon Age: Origins is my Toots Hibbert but the first ten hours held my attention.

56 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

My JRPG backlog has become a Sisyphean gigglefest. I am more than halfway done with Ys Seven, SMT IV, Mega Man Battle Network 2, Pokemon White, Atelier Sophie, Etrian Odyssey Untold and Trails In The Sky 3 and I'm not in the home stretch of any of them.

I'm having my "reggae moment" with modern WRPGs. When I was 14 I thought I didn't like reggae but it turns out I was just ambivalent about Bob Marley. My attempts to enjoy anything Elder Scrolls as a younger man simillarly clouded my mind. I'm not saying Dragon Age: Origins is my Toots Hibbert but the first ten hours held my attention.

I've never heard WRPGs being compared to reggae. I wonder what will be your Desmond Dekker, King Tubby or Lee "Scratch" Perry.

• Like 1