DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Why has it taken me this long to find the short movie, The Intruder:

which is loosely based on the Vampire:  The Masquerade - Bloodline's mission, Model Citizen?

Edited by J.T.

23 hours ago, Craig H said:

This is exactly how I feel about RDR 2.

I finally got to the point where I mainlined it because it became such a slog even if there are some really fun moments in there like the riverboat stuff, or the montage stuff in the epilogue. 

15 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I finally got to the point where I mainlined it because it became such a slog even if there are some really fun moments in there like the riverboat stuff, or the montage stuff in the epilogue. 

I never finished it. I just hated the movement in the game so much. It's such a weird way of walking or moving in a game. I mean, if they wanted to explain that away by saying Arthur has a bum leg or vertigo and moving around for him takes some momentum to get going and then it takes some effort for him to stop, then that would be funny and would work as an excuse for why walking or running is such a chore. And then there's every time you have to return to camp and you can't run within camp. It makes me wonder if the PC version has a mod for it that makes movement less shitty and lets you run around within your campsite.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Technically you could argue there is a reason for why Arthur walks the way he does (which I won't directly say for spoiler reasons)

Yeah, but the moment where that reason becomes a factor isn't exactly the beginning of the game. It's one of the early hours though.

You could also blame it on if you're falling on your horse a lot in-game, he's probably done it a lot before the game begins. Dude's pretty banged up. 

Movement in Red Dead 2 just felt like GTAV with a cowboy skin, but I guess I was used to it by that point since it didn't really bother me at the time. But it is kind of really stiff looking and feeling. I doubt I could go back to it now, it's one of the reasons I can't get into GTA Online.

Got my 261st Platinum trophy with Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault for PS3. Did the online trophies years ago and it's a matter of time before Sony shuts down the servers for this game and All 4 One.

Basically, it's a tower defense game with Ratchet & Clank and it's very short and not very good.

• Like 2

I can't be the only one around here playing Disney Dream Valley, right?  It's a pretty damn good Animal Crossing clone with much more meaningful relationship stuff with your islanders.  It's free on Game Pass and the only thing that has stopped me from playing is NFL football.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I can't be the only one around here playing Disney Dream Valley, right?  It's a pretty damn good Animal Crossing clone with much more meaningful relationship stuff with your islanders.  It's free on Game Pass and the only thing that has stopped me from playing is NFL football.  

The reason I am not playing it is I don't have the time to devote the time to it that it clearly wants you to

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The reason I am not playing it is I don't have the time to devote the time to it that it clearly wants you to

Yeah,  if you're the type of person who doesn't want to neglect family, friends,  and responsibilities... you should probably not play this game. Every task is short enough that you'll take yourself into doing another one,  but they all take longer than you expect. 

24 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

To the surprise of no one, the servers for Babylon's Fall are shutting down on February 28, 2023. Game didn't even last a year:

https://hanging-garden.babylonsfall.com/news/pages/63034abc74473009630079?lang=en-gb

Geez... at least Anthem's servers are still running despite them abandoning all plans to update it

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:26 AM, supremebve said:

Yeah,  if you're the type of person who doesn't want to neglect family, friends,  and responsibilities... you should probably not play this game. Every task is short enough that you'll take yourself into doing another one,  but they all take longer than you expect. 

Yea this game is crack - I've officially hit the point where the first thing I do every morning is harvest/replant my massive okra farm cause there is so much stuff I want in this game and need all the money.  

The first patch just dropped and looks to fix a lot of the known issues.  The constant crashing and menu load times (on Switch) has been a little annoying, but not enough to get me from playing all damn day long most days.  

SPLATOON 3 [4]
2nd place for game of the year. It's my first time playing a splatoon so I can't speak at all to the iterative nature of it, or how derivative it may or may not be of the other games. What I can say is that it's the most fun I've had playing a competitive shooters in years, for two reasons. First, the gyro controls. Using the gyro controls are brilliant in this game because no gun is precise enough that it's a serious detriment. Everything fires in spreads and unpredictable patterns, so just putting the crosshairs near the target will do, and gyro controls let you aim faster than a stick. Second, I hadn't realized until putting 10 hours into how much I am done with Headshots as a mechanic. Splatoon has no headshots, so you have to think entirely about the encounter as an encounter, of exchanges between your weapons and tools with another set of weapons and tools. I prefer that. Great game.

MIDNIGHT FIGHT EXPRESS HAS THE SINGLE STRANGEST BUG I'VE EVER SEEN [n/a]
On the Xbox, after you make your initial save the game hangs on a "Loading Save Data" screen. It will do this until you change your profile picture. I have an old Xbox 360 profile picture I'm afraid I'll lose access to if I change my profile picture, so I guess I'll never play Midnight Fight Express. Oh well!

WEIRD WEST [4]
Currently my 3rd place for Game of the Year. I've been going out of my comfort zone a lot in the last month or so and this is part of that- this is a weird hodgepodge of a bunch of genres that feels as much like an immersive sim as something like Crusader No Remorse. It's on game pass, so for game pass havers this is currently the game I'd give a strongest recommendation to because it's a bit of a hard sell at $40, being a game that has no immediate comparisons. It's interesting and it seems long as hell tho, so it's most likely worth the money, but I wouldn't have tried it at all without game pass.

I've been playing the Tony Hawk 1&2 remasters and while I was never great at Tony Hawk I could always get by, but apparently those days are over.  Just embarrassing myself.  Game still whips, though.

I've also been playing Planet Crafter on Steam, which is about terraforming a barren planet.  It's still an EA game so the gameplay is a little repetitive and overly-simple but the way the game shows the planet changing gradually is really satisfying.  

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 4:01 PM, Casey said:

Movement in Red Dead 2 just felt like GTAV with a cowboy skin, but I guess I was used to it by that point since it didn't really bother me at the time. But it is kind of really stiff looking and feeling. I doubt I could go back to it now, it's one of the reasons I can't get into GTA Online.

I'm at a crossroads of sorts where I'm 44% in but spent so, so much time on this already.  I love playing it and have no issues with getting missions done but it just seems to be taking forever.  Then again the past couple years have shown to me that I honestly don't like long open world games like I thought I would.  Which reminds me I still have GTAV to finish and I have no idea how much further I have due to there being so much.  With me nowadays I guess I just want to get in, get out and feel I got my money's worth.  Maybe that's why if I play a game it's either a roguelike game like Hades or some weird-ass simulator game (so, so much powerwashing and truck riding.  Yeesh)  Though I did dip back into Fire Pro and the odd sports game works too.

As for the Disney game it's a neat idea but when I saw Gameloft made it I knew I was only going to play for 20 minutes before doing away with it.  Fun if you have the time but not for me.

This probably belongs in the upcoming or the Sports Game thread, but I figured I'd post it here just for maybe some cross-over interest. It appears AFC Richmond is getting added to FIFA 23. I may make that my road to glory team. (For some reason, YouTube embedding isn't working for me this morning so trailer is below:)

https://youtu.be/TUamiLX6gp4