DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

If you were like me and play Hades via GamePass - it is leaving the service at the end of the month

And I guess I can't put off playing What Remains of Edith Finch for much longer since that is also leaving at the end of the month

• Sad 2

Aw, I'll miss playing Hades via Gamepass though may consider buying it.  I beat Hades himself many times over but just when you think the stories are done like a good roguelike game they sprinkle little things in to see how it plays out.  I feel I'm done with it but when the mood strikes there's something satisfying about doing a playthrough while dealing with random crap at work.

Well, it took only less than a week for everyone to be way too fucking good at Rumbleverse. Those first two days were fun. A few days later and I'm getting KO'd really fast.

I do think the one thing the game needs is music during the actual match. It's too quiet, which makes it a little boring and empty feeling. It's a huge city with usually less than 40 players at the start. I spent one match wandering around forever until I actually found somebody.

Yeah, I crushed it day 1 on Rumbleverse and now I usually get a couple of KOs and get dumped myself.

Demon Throttle is quickly becoming a personal favourite of mine. Highest recommendation. Top down arcade shooter (1942 style), lots of secrets, challenging gameplay, funny, super fun. Physical copies only tho, but I recommend it.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

Have fun and best wishes to your wallet.  Epic launcher is good for free shit but if you haven't gotten Gamepass yet I would definitely get on that.  Most of the games I play since getting a new rig have been from there and has helped keep me from going too insane spending on Steam.  It's actually what led me to getting a Series X which I play most days as well.

Thanks for the heads up on that - apparently this laptop comes with 3 free months of Ultimate Game Pass so I have that now.

It was fun loading my Xbox friends list for the first time in years to see them ... still playing GTA 5.

I don't even know where to start with so many games to choose from.  I'm probably going to be a fool and fire up Fallout 76 or Skyrim on like my 6th different platform. 

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

yeah I’m terrible at Fortnite but even I manage to kill a handful of players/bots in any No Build mode.

The same cannot be said for Rumbleverse. The first day, sure. But then I went to work for the weekend, and played on Monday night, and holy shit. Everyone is a pro player now apparently.

• Like 1

It's kinda crazy. I've played a fair number of battle royale games and this is the first one where the level of difficulty took such a dramatic jump in such a short span of time. I guess that's good though because it means a lot of people are playing and they're playing it a lot.

Their battle pass season 1 thing starts tomorrow or whatever and that'll probably bring in a lot of money and other users, I have no clue how matching systems in games like that work, they'll probably do something like that I would imagine. THAT OR GIT GUD~! Play it 19 hours a day on Twitch.

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

Their battle pass season 1 thing starts tomorrow or whatever and that'll probably bring in a lot of money and other users, I have no clue how matching systems in games like that work, they'll probably do something like that I would imagine. THAT OR GIT GUD~! Play it 19 hours a day on Twitch.

I've only ever had battle passes in Fortnite and Nakara: Bladepoint, but it seems like they're going for the Fortnite system where you their in-game currency and make that amount back as you progress, plus a little extra by the end (and unlocking cosmetic items along the way). Rumbleverse is already pretty popular, it's in the top 3 of free games on Xbox at least (haven't checked Steam numbers or Playstation's rankings), so I'm sure they'll get a lot of money from this. I don't know that it'll draw in new users though - Fortnite has went with the model of including a licensed IP character in their battle pass to draw people into buying it. Since I've started playing, Dr. Strange, The Prowler, Darth Vader and Indiana Jones have been in their battle pass.

Now, if they get to a point where they have a battle pass with WWE/AEW/whatever cosmetics, then maybe. But I'm still not even sure of the crossover between wrestling fans and people who play this game. 

--

In other news...

Apparently the head of Avalanche Studios (Just Cause, Mad Max, Rage 2) said in an interview that they were doing an open world Iron Man game but Disney & Marvel cancelled it around 2012. I've never played any of those games besides Mad Max, which was actually pretty decent, but I have no interest in the Mad Max movies or anything, so...

My artist friend recommends using Playground mode and practicing, but that's just obvious. I don't know the mechanics of how that all works since I haven't played it. You can turn off fighting and just wail on things I assume.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:39 AM, JLSigman said:

Working my way through the Steam version of Final Fantasy X remaster, and the fact that 20 years later I still remember how to do all of the Cloister of Trial things is either Very Good or Very Bad. ?

I'm probably going to push through the last couple hours of this today. FF XIV drops 6.2 Monday night so I'll be back on my bullshit there for a while.

• Like 1

Recently upgraded to PS+ Extra to get Stray and grabbed a few other games that had passed me by. The Messenger is a really enjoyable Ninja Gaiden homage, just "controller throwing" difficult enough but with a lot of modern QoL additions. Made it past the halfway point and really digging the change up. Worth playing for free or with purchase!

• Like 1

Stray would have been better without any stealth or combat. I mean, that stuff is as awful as jumping around a dark city and napping on an android's chest is great.

Arcade Paradise is great, even though it's a bug-ridden mess. I mean, they called their Breakout game in which the paddle is a dachshund Barkanoid. BARKANOID.

Come on, that's GotY material there!

• Like 1

Got my 257th Platinum trophy with Mercenaries 2: World in Flames on PS3. The servers are shutting down on November 9, 2022 which will render the game un-Platinumable. 6 trophies (4 co-op trophies and 2 that require to be connected to EA servers) will be unobtainable.

Nice to get it done early. The drawback is you need a specific EA game (such as Battlefield Bad Company or The Orange Box) to be able to connect the servers; otherwise, it won't connect and it will freeze.

• Like 2

I'll be taking off next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday to reacclimate my body clock after being on graveyard shift for two weeks.  I'll probably pick up my copy of the new Saints's Row after I wake up from my recovery coma on Saturday afternoon.  I also plan to FINALLY get a headset.  If anyone feels up for co-op, shoot me a PM if you see me online.

Edited by J.T.

I have been stuck playing Two Point Campus over the last week. It's a throwback to the 90ies (which should not be a surprise considering that two of the founders of Two Point Studios (and the directors of this game) are former Bullfrog developers who worked on Theme Park and Theme Hospital) and in a good way. The biggest complaints I have so far is that there are some mechanics that seem to be somewhat hidden and that the difficulty between the different scenarios feels a bit uneven. It might also not have the longterm playability that a Transport Tycoon (Deluxe) or Rollercoaster Tycoon had, but that's not really what I look for anyway.