DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

On 6/26/2022 at 8:19 AM, Raziel said:

Listen to make sure your fan is running and there's decent airflow around the box where the vents are.  That sounds like an overheating issue.

i took a few weeks off from the xbox360 because it is just too frustrating to deal with. powered it on today to play Sonic 4: Episode 2 and couldn't even get the game started before the system crashed. three times.

the system is pulled out away from the cabinet and should have zero airflow issues. if it previously has overheated (not sure if it has, but i have no other explanation...) is there a way to fix the issue?

otherwise, i see that sonic 4 was also released on steam. i'm not really a pc gamer and don't know anything about that. can somebody school me?

Edit

Sort of figured out the problem.  Router is automatically connecting game consoles to 2.4 ghz band, not 5.  So far, can’t figure out how to change this.  Going to mess with it tomorrow and try disconnecting cell phones from wi-fi.  Really no reason to connect phones to work-fi except habit.  Our cells get virtually no use inside the house since we hsve several iPads and other mobile devices.  

Probably will end up calling customer support.  If the issue is just download speed, I can live with it.  I mostly download games early in the morning while I get ready for work do I’m not too hung up on speed.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

If you can get inside the router's administration page, you can turn either turn off 2.4 GHz, or split the SSID's so that your 5 and 2.4's are on separate SSID's

For my PS5 (and PS4) I've noticed that downloads go way faster if you're not playing anything, I assume it has something to do with splitting processing power? I would assume that rest mode plays into this as well. Also wired connection vs. WiFi does make a difference but depending on your setup, it might not be doable. 

11 hours ago, Raziel said:

If you can get inside the router's administration page, you can turn either turn off 2.4 GHz, or split the SSID's so that your 5 and 2.4's are on separate SSID's

Haven’t checked out Switch or Xbox yet, but the PS5 had a network setting that lets you select what band to look for.  I changed the setting from automatic to 5 ghz and the console automatically signed me out of my wi-fi network and signed me back in on the 5 ghz band.  Downloaded a few games this morning and got close to 2 gb/minute.  Not sure i’d quite get that if other mobile devices on the house were In heavy use at the same time, but I mostly only download large games in the early am while we’re eating breakfast and getting ready for work.

To everyone who responses or pm’ed, thanks for the help.

Sony is introducing a loyalty program called Playstation Stars

Today, I’m pleased to reveal PlayStation Stars, a brand new loyalty program that celebrates you, the player, for being on this ever growing gaming journey with us. PlayStation Stars will be free to join when it launches later this year. Once you become a member, you’ll earn rewards by completing a variety of campaigns and activities. Our “Monthly Check-In” campaign simply requires you to play any game to receive a reward, while other campaigns require you to win tournaments, earn specific trophies, or even be the first player to platinum a blockbuster title in your local time zone.

All PlayStation Stars members will have opportunities to earn loyalty points. Points can be redeemed in a catalog that may include PSN wallet funds and select PlayStation Store products. As an additional benefit, PlayStation Plus members enrolled in PlayStation Stars automatically earn points for purchases on PlayStation Store. 

Also, as part of PlayStation Stars, we are unveiling a new type of reward called “digital collectibles.” Collectibles are as diverse as our portfolio of products and franchises. They are digital representations of things that PlayStation fans enjoy, including figurines of beloved and iconic characters from games and other forms of entertainment, as well as cherished devices that tap into Sony’s history of innovation. There will always be a new collectible to earn, an ultra rare collectible to strive for, or something surprising to collect just for fun. 

I don't care about the xbox's rewards/points whatever program and I doubt I will care about Sony's either. I am sure there are some that enjoy such things but its just noise to me, not something that I've ever been concerned about.

On 7/14/2022 at 7:17 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

I don't care about the xbox's rewards/points whatever program and I doubt I will care about Sony's either. I am sure there are some that enjoy such things but its just noise to me, not something that I've ever been concerned about.

Since getting an Xbox last year I’ve probably cashed in at least $100 worth of points for either Xbox or Amazon gift cards. That’s very worth it to me, for what amounts to just getting points for achievements or doing quizzes on Bing (or just clicking a tab, or “watching” a YouTube video, or viewing a product in the Microsoft store)

If the Sony program is anything like that, I’m in.

I went through most of the rest of TUNIC and saw both endings.

I don't know how I feel about this game.  On one hand, it's clearly made with a lot of love for a certain type of game that I ought to find myself enjoying, and I mostly enjoy this except for the combat feeling occasionally janky (well, that and the incredibly annoying item menu).  The fact that I played it through a couple of times already even when I found it initially frustrating is a testament to the many things about it that work. 

But I also don't know if I would have ever put together the big puzzle within the game; I can't think of a NES/SNES title ever that went to these kinds of lengths to embed a mystery (except for the garbage NES X-Men game that actually got the code wrong on the box and even that was barely a mystery), and while I feel like I ought to applaud it, it also feels a bit too obtuse.  Especially for *this* payoff.

Yeah, it unlocks an ending, but...that ending kind of, uh, doesn't make a lot of sense?  It's too cutesy and sappy for its own good, ending up being rather maudlin instead of really hitting you with the stakes it ought to.  And, once you see it, you realize it did precisely nothing to address the much, much, MUCH bigger mystery in the game's deepest level.  Given it took them 8 years to make this, I can't really see how it's going to ever get a sequel or any sort of explanation to what was going on; granted, the entire game is about addition-by-subtraction, implied storytelling, and winnowing your focus down to the bare essentials when required, so maybe expecting answers or a more arching narrative is expecting too much.

Edited by Contentious C

ESCAPE ACADEMY [3]
Thank goodness for Game Pass. This game's a hard sell since it's replay value is literal Zero. In a braver world, there's a way where you make this game without a hint system, and failing to complete the puzzles forces a narrative path. Instead, this game has one road that's lightly written and extremely blunt hints, while also making every puzzle timed. It creates a really uneven experience, like an arcade version of The Witness or something. If you would like to play ten escape rooms with about five lines of dialogue between each room, then you'll love Escape Academy.

PC RERELEASE OF MONUMENT VALLEY [4]
While the controls aren't well adapted from the touch screen, that's made up for by playing it on a big screen with quality speakers. Monument Valley is my 2014 game of the year, and it's still a complete delight that I wouldn't dare spoil why. I recommend it, but understand that it's more about atmosphere and tone than it is about challenge.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:28 AM, JLSigman said:

The quality of life updates for ranged characters are SWEET. I'm working my way through end game content I've never bothered with before, and I've never felt like opening GrimTools to tweak my character.

I gotten all the way to Ultimate for the first time ever, altho I didn't do well there against bosses, so I'm noodling around with side-quests and debating whether this is what I manage this time around. Both FF7R and Jedi: Fallen Order are starting to clamor for my attention.

On 7/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

ESCAPE ACADEMY [3]
Thank goodness for Game Pass. This game's a hard sell since it's replay value is literal Zero. In a braver world, there's a way where you make this game without a hint system, and failing to complete the puzzles forces a narrative path. Instead, this game has one road that's lightly written and extremely blunt hints, while also making every puzzle timed. It creates a really uneven experience, like an arcade version of The Witness or something. If you would like to play ten escape rooms with about five lines of dialogue between each room, then you'll love Escape Academy.

I was waiting for it to hit Game Pass because I was interested in it but no way I was paying full price for it.

It is fine so far. It is weird that there isn't some sort of system that at least changes the combos of locks or something if you fail a room.

And the feedback from the look/walking is infuriating (granted it was probably designed with mouse and keyboard in mind)

I don't think I ever played Final Fight 2 and 3 on the snes. I only played multiple versions of Final Fight and the Mighty Final Fight.

Unrelated the pal games of anything are easier to master, good for when you get old and your skillz go to the dump.

Stray is GOATed. I love that cat so dang much and same with B-12. It's more an experience than a challenge. The mechanics of controlling the cat and the verticality are excellent. The cat, robits, and world have so much character and charm yet they avoid creeping into overwrought sentimentality thankfully, something most media fails to do.

Maybe I'm meticulous, maybe I'm just slow, but it took me well over five hours. I don't know how you'd pull off the 2 hour speed run. Maybe one day but it's not a game I want to jump back into right away. Regardless, even if I never play it again (which I don't think will happen), I would've got my money's worth even if it were a full priced game. Love it to bits.

A couple of issues, one of which isn't as bad as I thought:

1) The fixation on cyberpunk = dystopian future + technology + Orientalism has gotta stop. Lots of articles written up on the subject and this game is guilty of it big time. 

2) For a game that has clear, in-the-open anti-capitalist sentiments, I did laugh when I saw it was published by a company headed by Megan Ellison, daughter of 10th richest person on the planet and who practically owns one of Hawaii's islands. I originally thought it was developed by Ellison's studio, but they only published it.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

My initial thoughts on Stray are as follows:

Spoiler

OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS IS SO GODDAMN CUUUUUUUUTEEE!!!!!!  LOOK AT THIS, OH MY GOD!

Now I just need to start over to show my wife all that and maybe I can finally get into the main story.

The Platinums are supposed to be rather easy and takes about 8 hours to get. I'm planning on doing Stray after Cat Quest 1 & 2, Catlateral Damage (original) and Remeowstered on PS4/PS5, Puss in Boots on PS3 and Lizard Lady vs. The Cats on PS5 lol.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

??  Stray”s been out for less than 24 hours and you already spent 5 hours with it?  

I am a teacher and have the summer off. I spent the afternoon and evening playing the game. 

• Like 3

I did a weird thing and played CELESTE of all games.

Obviously, considering my aversion to difficulty, I was not going to play this legit.  I appreciate the tip screen that says "your deaths are good!" though.

I just slapped on God mode and jetted around.  Honestly, if it weren't for falling deaths and dumb hazards, I probably would have enjoyed things like the Mega Man games a lot more when I was younger.  This was kind of the vibe I got here, plus the injection of something like an actual story.  I only made it to about the gondola bit or just past before getting a little bored; I think I'll check out the rest today and then probably delete it, because let's face it, I'm not playing it the way it was intended.  It kind of makes me want to replay GRIS at some stage and try to finish unlocking whatever was left there, because I know I didn't find everything in that game.

Edited by Contentious C