DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

On 6/22/2022 at 6:35 PM, RIPPA said:

Update on the KOTOR II fiasco

Apparently an upcoming patch will fix the issue

FYI: The patch is out.

Playing Cuphead again now that the dlc is finally out.  I'd like to believe this will be the time that I finally finish the game, but my playthroughs the past few nights strongly indicate I am deluding myself.

I finally decided to do a playthrough of Link to the Past, since I hadn't legitimately tried playing the game in...well, probably close to 30 years. 

Jesus this game is frustrating.

I could forgive the first LoZ its controls, because it's even smaller, but I don't know, when you have a Switch Pro controller in your hands, you kind of expect better responsiveness.  I may have spoiled the experience by replaying Breath of the Wild just before, which of course handles like a dream.  But I'd really forgotten the frustration of not being pixel-perfect sometimes and bouncing off enemies and spike walls and back and forth to the point of wanting to chuck the controller through my TV.  It's not like it's *that* hard - I beat the first game as a kid, ffs - but I just have no patience left for the kind of shenanigans it does.  And that feels even weirder after having done a deep dive on Super Metroid about a year ago and finding that all the hidden stuff and speedrunner moves gave you a sense of feeling like you progressed and learned and actually got better.  I'm getting none of this with LttP.  Granted, Super Metroid is probably a far easier game, if we're being honest, and the curve on it is remarkably gradual, instead of "thrash the entire overworld/get plotzed by 2 or 3 rooms in a late dungeon" like LttP does.

I used to think it was a better game than Ocarina of Time, too, but I'm beginning to think I was crazy for believing that. 

Or maybe I just hate fun and life and most definitely video games now.  I'm at Ganon's fortress, 100% of the items and heart pieces, and I'm just thinking, "Meh, why get annoyed?"

I was hoping this summer's Steam sale would reveal something that would shake me out of this, but I'll be damned if I know what that would be.

Edited by Contentious C

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 7/2/2022 at 9:40 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

FYI: The patch is out.

Playing Cuphead again now that the dlc is finally out.  I'd like to believe this will be the time that I finally finish the game, but my playthroughs the past few nights strongly indicate I am deluding myself.

The new Crackshot weapon might be of use for you. Does really good damage and functions as a homing weapon for the most part. It is fairly overpowered for the main story levels.

I have just started playing GHOST OF TSUSHIMA. Enjoying the fight mechanics, for the most part. Was relieved to read that being dishonourable doesnt really affect the game at all.

• Like 1

Being fucking around in Fall Guys because it's free and now on XBOX (plus it is great for the "Eh, I have 10 minutes to game" moments)

Got my first crown in a team game doing the current Halo themed stuff. Technically my teammate got it for me but at least I was in the Final Four and I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I can tell I will probably grow bored with it before this Holiday weekend is over

On 7/2/2022 at 10:08 PM, Contentious C said:

I finally decided to do a playthrough of Link to the Past, since I hadn't legitimately tried playing the game in...well, probably close to 30 years. 

Jesus this game is frustrating.

really? i'm most definitely biased, sonce tLoZ is easily my favorite game series ever, but i never found LttP very difficult at all. i hope you can power your way through it.

in other news, the Zelda series rarely returns to this play style, so i hope you find enjoyment in whatever you play next.

I don't think it's the "play style" per se - the games have kind of always done the "get the item, use the item to beat the current dungeon (or make it significantly easier), unlock more of the outer world stuff" that the Metroidvanias get more credit for, even as far back as the first one, but it's just that I'd forgotten how bad I was at most 2D games in terms of movement and handling.  I couldn't imagine trying to play The Binding of Isaac, for example, with how sloppy I feel like I am with this (not that I'd play it anyway because the art style is not at all my thing).  I'm also currently hate-watching a Metroid Dread speedrun after I completely fucking gave up on that impossible nightmare of a game (at least I got $40 back on Ebay), so, yeah, it's been a frustrating year for trying new games, or revisiting old ones.

Speaking of similar games, just how hard is TUNIC, for those who have played it?  It has a "Souls-like" and "Difficult" tag on Steam, which is not reassuring.

Edited by Contentious C

10 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I don't think it's the "play style" per se - the games have kind of always done the "get the item, use the item to beat the current dungeon (or make it significantly easier), unlock more of the outer world stuff" that the Metroidvanias get more credit for, even as far back as the first one, but it's just that I'd forgotten how bad I was at most 2D games in terms of movement and handling.  I couldn't imagine trying to play The Binding of Isaac, for example, with how sloppy I feel like I am with this (not that I'd play it anyway because the art style is not at all my thing). 

Speaking of similar games, just how hard is TUNIC, for those who have played it?  It has a "Souls-like" and "Difficult" tag on Steam, which is not reassuring.

Tunic is not that hard. Honestly, I have seen people not even realize how early you can get a sword and they're going around for over and hour or two with just the stick and that includes beating the first "boss." The difficulty with Tunic comes more from its isometric POV and sometimes you can get a lot of projectile enemies firing at you at the same time. And I only say the isometric POV is difficult because it intentionally obscures exactly where you can go. Everyone that has played Tunic eventually has that moment of, "holy shit, I could have actually gone to this place so much sooner, but I had no idea I could access it because my view was blocked.

The "Soulsborn" part of Tunic comes from its bonfires. They work exactly like how they do in Soulsborn games. You go to a bonfire, use it, you get all of your health and mana back, but it also makes EVERYTHING respawn. Thankfully, enemies respawn right where they were before so beating them again is even easier. It's more of an annoyance if anything. 

I really need to get back to playing it, but I've been putting my new video card, CPU, and monitors through the ringer seeing what 1440p games on ultra look like. Tunic is awesome and it's probably my GOTY at this point unless Horizon FW winds up blowing me away. Honestly, Tunic reminds me so much of Fez and that's probably why I like it so much. There's so much under the surface for games like Tunic and Fez and the deeper you get the cooler it gets.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:08 PM, Contentious C said:

Granted, Super Metroid is probably a far easier game,

No lie, you might be the first person I've ever seen say SM is a far easier game than LttP.

I feel like you had to have a strategy guide to beat Super Metroid. You could get lucky and find a bunch of the upgrades on your own, but even then there’s almost an order to get them in and some areas of the map seem like they’re inaccessible except for some stupidly small thing that would get you in.

9 hours ago, Raziel said:

No lie, you might be the first person I've ever seen say SM is a far easier game than LttP.

Livin' up to mah name!

But yeah, it's just my cruddy hands and reaction times, and the way one game teaches you to play it better and better while the other, um, sorta doesn't. Plus, you can get pretty overpowered in SM if that's what you want. The Ridley fight might be the only one where things feel tooth and nail. LttP, you get to Trinekk or Ganon and without knowing their weaknesses, you're toast. At least in SM it's varying amounts of missiles to the gob and dodging, which is theoretically boring but a relief in practical terms. I'm not sure I'd say either game is hard.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:08 AM, JLSigman said:

For those of us who like to play Grim Dawn every year or so, they've put out a fairly comprehensive patch (live on Steam, should be up in a day or two for XBox and GOG) which retools some of the hidden ranged weapon mods, as well as a slew of later/end game gear tweaks.

The quality of life updates for ranged characters are SWEET. I'm working my way through end game content I've never bothered with before, and I've never felt like opening GrimTools to tweak my character.

• Like 1

I almost bought Jedi Fallen Order last night, but I decided I didn't want to give money to EA.  Or I guess more money, because I'd already bought Titanfall 2 the other day (but <$5 was too good to pass up).

I started playing The Wolf Among Us last night (the only other thing I've bought from this sale).  I've long held that quicktime events and mindless point-and-click - like how Heavy Rain felt - is like videogame saltpeter.  I'm not sure this is noticeably better than that from a gameplay perspective, but at least the story is interesting, unlike "press Triangle to 'Jason!'".  I'm already finding myself itching to just find a spoiler-free walkthrough to make the "right" choices and piss off the fewest people while getting the complete story out of it.

Edited by Contentious C

On 7/4/2022 at 9:20 AM, Craig H said:

I feel like you had to have a strategy guide to beat Super Metroid. You could get lucky and find a bunch of the upgrades on your own, but even then there’s almost an order to get them in and some areas of the map seem like they’re inaccessible except for some stupidly small thing that would get you in.

Yeah, I for sure needed a strategy guide back in the day to beat Super Metroid. The action stuff wasn't super-hard but finding the things you needed and the paths to get there definitely were. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yeah. My problem with Metroid was never combat. It was all of the traversal, item finding, back tracking, etc.

Yep. I remember there being a few things where I thought "yeah, there's no way I'd have found that on my own". 

Got my 254th Platinum trophy with Assassin's Creed III on PS3. If you have this game on PS3, understand that one of the trophies require servers to obtain. After September 1 2022, the game will be unPlatinumable (this is only for the PS3 version that this will happen).

A lot of the missions for full sync were annoying (Public Execution and Battle of Bunker Hill especially). After having done Metal Gear Solid V's Platinum, I had an easier time getting full sync once I went back to them.

Edited by Andrew POE!

I finished up Chapter 1 of The Wolf Among Us and spent a good chunk of that time really really wanting to see Bigby get some happy-good-funtimes out of all his hard work with Snow.  I don't know if I've actively rooted for a video game character to get some before.  And then...yeah...that ending. 

Then again, I suppose there's some hijinx afoot that will probably undo a chunk of stuff that's "mission-critical" for this game.  Still, felt bad for my fellow perpetually angry dude with great hair that he didn't get to have some alone time with his special lady.

I also bought Jedi: Fallen Order after all.  "Fallen Order" is about right, since mostly I miss the jumps on ziplines and fall to my death over and over.  I'm not sure I like it enough to really get engrossed with it, but at some point I'll actually delve further and try to get better at it.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Since it's a Fables prequel,  I don't recall the game doing anything to contradict the comic. 

Well, Episode 1 of the game ends with

Spoiler

Snow White's severed head on the apartment steps

and one of the few book-related spoilers I happened to see mentioned that

Spoiler

Bigby and Snow end up with a mess of kids at the end of the series,

so unless Bigby is into some Ed Kemper shit, I'd say "hijinx afoot" is right.  Plus, there's a namedrop in the Trailer for TWAU2 that would lead me to believe said hijinx.  EDIT: Yep, hijinx.  Should have played another 10 minutes.

(Also really hope this is the first, last, and only Ed Kemper reference in the video game section...)

Edited by Contentious C

I've been playing some video games.

STARDEW VALLEY W/ HILLTOP FARM [4]
I've honestly never tried to play one of the alternate plots because every time I'd start it I'd just get "EHH BUT MY HABITS" and stop. This time I forced myself to get at least to summer on the Hilltop Farm start and I got to winter in the same week. Honestly, I love this plot more than the default now, even if it's impossible for multiplayer as a whole. Stardew Valley is still really good.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: SHREDDER'S REVENGE [3]
So a reminder is needed here: A 3 in my scale means "I don't regret playing this." What I learned is that it is exactly as fun as the amount of people you're playing it with. I played it solo for an hour and hated it, but it's definitely well made and it's probably better with a crew that's invested. I don't have a crew that's invested.

LAST CALL BBS [4]
I have accepted in my 30s that my intellect is entirely interpersonal and creative. Another way to put that is that I am too much of a numbskull for logic puzzle games. While the majority of the stuff in here is logic puzzles, I love everything about the vibe of it. This is from Zachtronics, the developer behind a large number of puzzle games I am not smart enough for (Opus Magnum, Exapunks, Mobius Front '83) or programming games that I am REALLY not smart enough for. This... is still kind of one of those, but the difference is that it's a minigame collection framed around getting an obscure piece of PC hardware from a friendly fellow and making it work within it's limitations. There's a Picross/dungeon builder puzzle game. There's an emulator in it that runs a knockoff of Magical Drop. There's an extremely artsy puzzle game about growing organisms that lets you make animated gifs of your solutions that's explained as a project by a director who thought games were The Future and definitely feels like that. There's all sorts of other games in there, but I haven't tried them, because in order to unlock them you have to dial into a BBS (thus the name) and download them, and after you've downloaded them you have to wait for the BBS to let you download again because of how big whatever you just downloaded was.

Putting it another way: this game has so far shown me two separate fake warez hacker intros, complete with custom mouse cursors, esoteric shout outs, invitations to joint the revolution, and all else. If this appeals to you, you should check it out. It is also on PC Game Pass.

MAINLY FORTNITE [3]
Fortnite's Zero Build mode has ripped through my friend group and has not let go, at all. It's the main thing we do to hang out now. And honestly, it's working great, because it's so garish and absurd that it's impossible to get mad at it, and that actually allows me to play that game with my friends since after how Good last year was, I have completely lost any interest in either trying to get them to stop raging or trying to give aftercare to keep them from beating themselves up. My bandwidth is lower than ever for that.

DREAD DELUSION [4]
As we are in the middle of indie games figuring out "hey we can make playstation games," there's been a host of people trying to workout how one might redo old first person RPGs. This is, at the moment, the best of the ones I've tried. Thick with atmosphere, a completely original setting, and a blunt instrument of an RPG system- this is the kind of game I am looking for. I have tired of comparing multiple numbers. I do not view Amazon Product Comparison as a fun mechanic. Give me a weird knife and an unclear quest, I want to go on an adventure picking up weirder knives and meeting hopeless souls and killing total freaks. Dread Delusion is great. Be warned tho, it is in early access.

also when they had all those demos up I played the escape academy one and I'm gonna play that when it comes out this week