DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

KotOR II is so good. I bought KotOR and beat it on Switch even though I have OG Xbox copies of both games because a) I wanted it handheld, and b) I wanted to see how it ports. 

KotOR II is exceptional for its questioning of a key thematic element that Star Wars builds itself upon. It's not a surprise that the same company then made a game that forced you to consider your beliefs on the most ethical/virtuous form of governing a society and that was, you know, awesome at doing it. 

KotOR is still good even though the major plot point it relies on is so well-known that you'd know it going in even if you'd never played the game. It's a credit to Bioware's writers back then that having the foreknowledge of that plot point makes the encounters and conversations that you have in the world fresh and interesting from that new perspective. 

• Like 3

So I requested an invitation from Amazon to purchase a Playstation 5.

Today I get an email from Amazon with Playstation 5 Console in the title. 

I excitedly opened it thinking it was my invitation to purchase (they're good for 72 hours). 

When the email opens it is the standard Amazon "We Think You Might Be Interested In" emails. 

Talk about a fucking tease. 

• Sad 3

On 6/9/2022 at 2:07 PM, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

KotOR II is so good. I bought KotOR and beat it on Switch even though I have OG Xbox copies of both games because a) I wanted it handheld, and b) I wanted to see how it ports. 

KotOR II is exceptional for its questioning of a key thematic element that Star Wars builds itself upon. It's not a surprise that the same company then made a game that forced you to consider your beliefs on the most ethical/virtuous form of governing a society and that was, you know, awesome at doing it. 

KotOR is still good even though the major plot point it relies on is so well-known that you'd know it going in even if you'd never played the game. It's a credit to Bioware's writers back then that having the foreknowledge of that plot point makes the encounters and conversations that you have in the world fresh and interesting from that new perspective. 

I've mentioned this before but replaying KoToR 2 on Steam where you could install the Community Patch that restored some content and fixed about a thousand bugs, with a single click of a button in the Workshop, was one of the most satisfying "ah yes, this is what it should have been" games I've ever played. And hell I loved it warts and all in the first place.

I've got a question for the Switch owners here: my sister is planning to buy a Switch for my nephew's birthday and is not sure if she should buy a second Joy Con or not. As far as I understand it, for multiplayer games you can use the two Joy Con halves as two controllers, correct?

3 hours ago, Robert s said:

I've got a question for the Switch owners here: my sister is planning to buy a Switch for my nephew's birthday and is not sure if she should buy a second Joy Con or not. As far as I understand it, for multiplayer games you can use the two Joy Con halves as two controllers, correct?

Yep exactly right, as long as she doesn't accidentally get the Switch Lite like my cousin did, the joycons come off and can be used as two tiny little controllers. If I recall, right on the home screen there is a "controllers" submenu option where you can go and sync up both joycons as their own controller once they are detached from the Switch.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 5:41 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Yep exactly right, as long as she doesn't accidentally get the Switch Lite like my cousin did, the joycons come off and can be used as two tiny little controllers. If I recall, right on the home screen there is a "controllers" submenu option where you can go and sync up both joycons as their own controller once they are detached from the Switch.

And I guess for the typical single-screen multiplayer games (e.g. Switch Sports, Mario Kart, Mario Party) are playable with the joycons halves as two controllers (i.e. don't need the full button set)?

1 minute ago, Robert s said:

And I guess for the typical single-screen multiplayer games (e.g. Switch Sports, Mario Kart, Mario Party) are playable with the joycons halves as two controllers (i.e. don't need the full button set)?

Its a safe bet that any multiplayer single-screen game can be played on one joycon, especially ones released by Nintendo. This list is four years old (couldn't quickly find a newer one) but gives an idea of how many games can be played on one joycon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do PS5 versions of the PS4 games have separate trophy lists? I downloaded the Director's Cut of Ghost of Tsushima, imported my save data from two (!) years ago, and the PS5 version already has like 16 trophies unlocked (whereas I 100%'d the base game on PS4 before Legends/the DLC were ever a thing). My platinum still exists in the trophy list, but this has a separate list. I don't THINK I'm doing a NG+ right now with this current save, but I could be wrong, since it says I'm on Act 2 and I definitely have all the armor that exists in the game besides anything that might be unlockable in the DLC.

That's weird I don't like it. I'd imagine it's because it's the "Director's Cut" is why it's a different trophy list, right? So I'm basically doing a NG+ on a game I've already beat, but the game doesn't recognize that on this new system, but still gives me all of the unlockable stuff from doing a 100% run. Really weird.

Yeah - they are separate 

Some of the channels I watch frequently reference double platinums because of that (and some folks will actually keep two different platinum numbers if you ask)

I feel like there are some games were the list is entirely the same and just firing it up on PS5 will complete the platinum 

32 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Decided to try out MLB the Show and I fucking forgot how long it takes to download a fucking EA game

Even worse when it's not an EA game. Those games are pretty big though. As are the 2k Basketball games.

Show is 69GBs on the S so not sure if the X is bigger. 

24 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Even worse when it's not an EA game. Those games are pretty big though. As are the 2k Basketball games.

Show is 69GBs on the S so not sure if the X is bigger. 

Yeah - I am so used to it being EA's fault that I forgot there was a reason I never played a Show game before

It was roughly 69 GBs on the X too.

First game went well but I also had it set to "make this is a dumb a possible" - though I will gladly take the cheap achievements for improving my difficulty via adaptive difficulty. And is anyone surprised that if a control setting said "classic" that is what I chose.

Some of you are just begging to destroy you thumb sticks as quickly as possible.

30 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Can always adjust presentation settings to include no commentary.

Yeah - I am still fiddling. That being said - the in game isn't as bad as the fucking podcast thing... ESPECIALLY when fucking Chris Russo shows up

I am already irritated that the settings I put in the first game didn't translate over to The Road so I definitely have screwed my created characters base running/speed score a few times

Got the TMNT Shredder's Revenge game and I'm digging it, stays true to the original games while mixing in enough new mechanics. Plays differently enough from Streets of Rage 4 so you know it's not an asset swap or anything. There's enough collectables that it has some replay value too.

I've also started dabbling back in Fire Pro World but the thought of updating it is too dauting since it's better to be outside during the 3-4 months of good weather we get up here in Wisconsin so that might have to wait until the fall. For now I just play around with my WCW roster since that's old enough to not need any updates.

• Like 1

Made a bunch of posts at my gaming blog, called "Wot I'm Playing". I have 10 games I am currently playing, several games I'm surprised I'm NOT playing, and games I'm looking forward to playing in the future.

Here's the Games I'm Currently playing:

BattleTech: Has it really been nearly SEVEN years since the BattleTech Kickstarter? Actually, yes, September 2015. Now, of course it took quite a while to come out (thanks to a lawsuit by HG (Harmony Gold, aka Hideously Greedy). But the game is still very good as a base. The Flashpoint, Urban Warfare and Heavy Metal DLC’s improving the game, and then the Mod Scene is out there for more… ambitious BattleTech Gamers (adding new timeframes, weapons and Mechs to the game’s sandbox mode). I’d LOVE a sequel, but BattleTech creators Harebrained Schemes has announced they’re not currently working on a sequel. Since the game’s release, they’ve been acquired by Paradox Interactive, and since Paradox own some OTHER classic RPG properties, could a World of Darkness game in the vein of their Shadowrun Returns series be a possibility? They did hint at one point they were working on a horror game.

Monster Train: Sometimes, you want to spend hours lost in a game, or spend a ton of time working through a role-playing game. The equivalent of a gaming five-course meal. Other times, you want a self-contained game that takes an hour to play, and that’s if you make it to the end? You know, a quick but nutritious and satisfying meal? That’s Monster Train. If I have a free hour, I’ll load Monster Train, load my favorite factions, and try to win a run through (since I’ve developed a couple good strategies with my chosen factions, so it’s more likely than not). It’s a fun mixture of card-based games like Slay the Spire, and tower defense games (there are three levels that enemies will move through protecting your base.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister: The funny thing is that if past me was guessing about what game based on fifth edition Dungeons and Dragons game I’d be playing in 2022, it wouldn’t be this one. But I’m still waiting on Baldur’s Gate 3 (The game is so huge, that I’m subconsciously waiting for the game’s full release, and I may be waiting a while longer for that) , and Solasta is surprisingly good. It has a 2nd Campaign DLC released, added some classes that were missing on release, and have released a Dungeon Editor. Haven’t quite finished the main campaign however.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous: You know a game is good when you are willing to overlook a bug that makes you downgrade your headphones to play. I’m the type of gamer that is right in Pathfinder’s wheelhouse, and the game is very good for those who don’t mind a full conversion of pen and paper rules to a computer game, which can lead to some… interesting interactions. The bug in my case is that for whatever reason, every few minutes while playing Wrath of the Righteous, my wireless headphones will just… shut off. No other game does that, and it happens whether I’m using them in wireless mode, or connected to the PC, so I would guess that it’s a bug in that game. Owlcat Games, who have recently moved their employees out of Russia due to the invasion of the Ukraine, have recently announced that they will be releasing a Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader game (using the game of the same name’s pen and paper rules as a base). Can’t wait.

MLB The Show 22: I don’t know why, but I’ve just fallen out of “Must pre-order every year’s version of every sport” out there. Madden and NBA 2K22 both fell out of the yearly rotation because both games have spent the last five years or so hollowing out the single player game in order to boost their multiplayer lootbox experience. NHL has been gone for a couple years now, so out of the Big Five sports AAA-level releases, only MLB and FM are on the purchase list. While the single player (online and offline) mode is robust, there are some warning signs that they may be giving more attention to the lootbox side of the game. Again, with the short (3 inning) nature of some of the Diamond Dynasty online single player games it’s good for a short endorphin hit or repeated games if I have a lot more time to play, this can adjust to the time I have available.

Football Manager 2022 – Here’s a humbling thought. In preparation for writing these articles, I went over my steam list of games, sorted by hours played, and did some quick math: Going back to Football Manager 2009 (the first game I bought on Steam), I have more than FOURTY THOUSAND HOURS (that’s 1,666.67 days, or pretty close to FIVE YEARS logged in these games. Of course, a lot of this was time spent sleeping or doing other things with the game running in the background (since it took so long to load the game and then the save, I saw no problem in leaving the game running while I did other things, like, you know, sleeping and/or working.

But even then, that’s a SIGNIFICANT chunk of time spent playing one game series. And so far, it hasn’t disappointed. For one, they’ve avoided the trap of most other AAA-Level games, pushing lootboxes and online gaming pressure. Football Manager, at its core, is still a single-player game and long may it stay that way.

Cyberpunk 2077 – Let’s be honest. Is this the game we all dreamt it would be? No. I don’t think any game is really able to live up to the hype for this game. Was it buggy on release? Oh heck yes it was. It’s been a rough year. Is it a good game NOW? Undoubtedly. It took them a long time to get here, with the next-gen upgrade, but Cyberpunk is (somewhat) living up to its potential. Interested to see where it goes in 2022. The downside is that most endings are still bummer endings, but then again, I guess that fits in the Cyberpunk mythos.

Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters – We have Space Marines. Turn Based Strategy. X-Com style Game Play without RNG-Shenanigans. Lovely ugly morbid enemies in the forces of Nurgle, Warhammer’s God of Disease and Decay. Yeah, this ticks off all the boxes. Game play can be kinda samey after a while, when it’s introduced all its units. Here’s hoping for expansions and new types of enemies and maybe a different type of Space Marines?

Poker Quest – Another pick up and play for an hour, doing one run. Since the gameplay is based on poker, you’re open to a LOT more RNG-shenanigans then say, Monster Train or Slay the Spire. But I’ve put about a hundred hours in it.

MMOs (World of Warcraft/Star Wars: The Old Republic) – Decided to lump these two in together because of their nature. Both are mostly played by me single player style to relax. I’m considering The Old Republic to be the placeholder for Knights of the Old Republic, and playing out all the individual stories. World Of Warcraft is coming off a less then stellar expansion, and we’re waiting for the next update to see where it’s going in the future.

Wot I'm NOT Playing

Total War: Warhammer 3: This one would shock past me. The third installment of the gaming tour-de-force offers the forces of Chaos, Ogres, Cathay, Kislev, and even a Daemon Prince you can customize for your own style of gaming. Yet it’s barely hanging on to the sizeable amount of my SDD that is currently holds. Why?

Because a lot of the factions play very much the same. Or the Campaign that comes with TWW3 is a bit of distraction from the game’s core gameplay. Or the fact that all the factions in TWW3 are new, and old favorites won’t be available until the Immortal Empires beta comes out (currently planned for August of this year). The bugs. God the bugs.

I’m pretty sure that once Immortal Empires is released, this game will rocket off this list and onto the Wot I’m Playing list, but you only get one chance to make a first impression, and for a game as hyped as TWW3 was, it’s a pretty blah start.

Baldur’s Gate 3: Ok. Mea culpa. I really should have taken the warning that this was a sliver of the game in early access, and it would be quite a while before release. I didn’t think it would be THIS long, however. I played a bit when Early Access started, but I decided with the low number of levels and classes available, that this game would best be enjoyed fresh upon full campaign release. Of course, that is almost definitely 2023 or (gulp) later. Solasta: Crown of the Magister (which was in Part 1 of the Wot I’m Playing list) has filled the fifth edition D&D niche for now

Blood Bowl 3: I was hyped to get into the Closed Beta, but I bounced off this game a bit. Why? Because it focused on a style of Multiplayer that I don’t like. Random games that don’t mean anything in a league basis. I’ll be playing BB3 when it comes out, but likely 95% of it will be in singleplayer, so this beta told me nothing on how the Singleplayer AI will provide a challenge. Wait and see.

Back 4 Blood: A lot of this is on my gaming tastes changing a bit. “Left 4 Dead style gameplay, updated to modern graphics? SOLD!”. I forgot that Left-4-Dead style gameplay requires Left-4-Dead style AI, or worse yet, Left-4-Dead style PLAYERS. Yeah. After my second attempt ended with people yelling at each other, I uninstalled the game, and I don’t think I’m going back.

Out of the Park Baseball 23: Past me is again screeching at me through the time-space continuum… “What? You’re burned out on OOTP????? Where’s the “Oh, let’s sim a league for a hundred years” type fun you loved the game series for, providing a baseball universe?” The problem is that OOTP seems to have caught the lootbox bug, and spent hundreds of hours on multiplayer gameplay, loot boxes and auction houses. Maybe it’s because they’ve crammed every feature that they think worthwhile into the single-player experience. Maybe the money from lootboxes and Auction Houses is too much for anyone to resist. However, while I’ve bought it, I haven’t opened it in a few weeks, and I’ve made a conscious decision to avoid Perfect Team completely this year.

And What I'm Looking forward to playing in the future (Not an exhaustive list)

F1 Manager 22: The folks behind the well-received Motorsport Manager game doing a full F1 game? Um.. tasty. Out soon too (August 25th). The gameplay looks similar

Cyber League Football: Holy shit, an unofficial CYBERBALL sequel? I came across this during a random “What’s upcoming” Steam search, and immediately wish listed it

Marvel’s Midnight Suns : You had my interest at “Superheroes meet X-Com” you have my attention with MARVEL Superheroes meet X-Com. Of course, the ultimate would be a XCom style Superheroes game that can handle any kind of hero, but One can dream

Terra Invicta : Made by the folks who brought the uber-popular Long War mods for the XCom reboot series, this deals with a similar plot point (aliens are found on earth), but deals more with the politicking and strategizing of the factions on Earth that deal with said Aliens. Looking forward to it.

Match Point: Tennis Championships : How long has it been since a truly good, accurate tennis game? Top Spin? Maybe back to Super Tennis (SNES?). Well, I don’t know if Matchpoint will break that dearth, but hell, it’s going to be on Gamepass so I’ll give it a chance

World Championship Boxing Manager 2: Ok, this tickled my interest, a lot of it because it’s the direct sequel to a game from 1991. Thirty Plus years! We need more build-a-boxer type games, and while I have no idea if it will be any good, it’s worth a shot.

TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge (yet another old-school beat-em-up, this time with the Turtles, April O’Neil, Casey Jones and… MASTER SPLINTER? YES PLEASE. (Technically, I should be playing, it came out mid-june, at the time I’m writing this)

Rogue Trader (Owlcat Games transferring their style of game into the Warhammer 40K universe? YES PLEASE

Knights of the Old Republic Remake: Remaking one of the best RPG’s ever with modern graphics and adding features that were not possible in the OX (Original Xbox) days? YES PLEASE TIMES TWO.

5 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

MMOs (World of Warcraft/Star Wars: The Old Republic) – Decided to lump these two in together because of their nature. Both are mostly played by me single player style to relax. I’m considering The Old Republic to be the placeholder for Knights of the Old Republic, and playing out all the individual stories. World Of Warcraft is coming off a less then stellar expansion, and we’re waiting for the next update to see where it’s going in the future.

Knights of the Old Republic Remake: Remaking one of the best RPG’s ever with modern graphics and adding features that were not possible in the OX (Original Xbox) days? YES PLEASE TIMES TWO.

Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior for those real KotOR feels. Are you subbed, or just playing the free parts?

And I am also very much looking forward to the KotOR remake, since the only way I can play it on Steam is with all the videos cutscenes turned off, which kinda defeats the purpose. ?

17 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior for those real KotOR feels. Are you subbed, or just playing the free parts?

And I am also very much looking forward to the KotOR remake, since the only way I can play it on Steam is with all the videos cutscenes turned off, which kinda defeats the purpose. ?

Subbed for now. Playing the SMuggler route to start. Thought about picking up the Switch version of I and II, but decided to hold off.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1