DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I noticed their reaction was to call him "Gerstmann" and not "Jeff." Hopefully, that's not reading too much into it.

They quickly followed it up acknowledging it was phrased that way because there's 3 Jeffs there right now (now 2), but who knows? 

I mean, the joke at the time Ryan died, and it was joked because man we needed anything to cheer us up when Ryan died, was that Giant Bomb wasn't Giant Bomb anymore. 

Then when Vinny, Brad, and Alex all left at the same time we really said the site basically wasn't Giant Bomb anymore. The only thing keeping that name attached was Jeff being there.

Now with Jeff gone, I don't even know how you call it Giant Bomb. I think for a lot of fans and their friends in the industry, Giant Bomb wasn't the website, it was the gang of misfits that created the site. Like, Nextlander has basically been more Giant Bomb than Giant Bomb. I mean, it would be awesome to see Jeff rejoin his buddies, but who knows if that happens. I still feel like something more lead to Vinny, Brad, and Alex leaving. Neither site would even refer to the other. It was a little weird.

Also, part of me wonders if Jeff saw the writing on the wall with the new ownership and realized what they were promised wasn't going to be actualized. If you're a fan, then you probably remember Jeff saying that Giant Bomb would be doing all kinds of new shit with other folks out there and that barely materialized beyond Grubb Snax.

Ok, just listened to the reaction from the guys and that is the most cautiously optimistic reaction I've ever heard. Come on guys, get the band back together.

Oh lord, and Dan must officially be done with WWE because now he's creative director at Giant Bomb. Just announced. The fuck is happening?

EDIT: Dan, in response to WWE. "fuck that place." What a weird 24 hours.

Edited by Craig H

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, part of me wonders if Jeff saw the writing on the wall with the new ownership and realized what they were promised wasn't going to be actualized. If you're a fan, then you probably remember Jeff saying that Giant Bomb would be doing all kinds of new shit with other folks out there and that barely materialized beyond Grubb Snax.

Oh, well, I guess I was right then. Someone dug up this quote from Jeff's GotY thing: "Well I won't bore you with the details of all the similarly herky-jerky plans that we went through all year here around staffing, physical locations, trade shows, and all that stuff. Let's just say I spent a lot of 2021 in meetings that ended up going nowhere."

I do hope they all made enough money from the various acquisitions over the years. I know the Nextlander crew is raking in money hand over fist from Patreon.

31 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh lord, and Dan must officially be done with WWE because now he's creative director at Giant Bomb. Just announced. The fuck is happening?

EDIT: Dan, in response to WWE. "fuck that place." What a weird 24 hours.

I don't care about Giant Bomb but I am interested in hearing Dan's wrestling opinions again.

• Like 1

Well the New Day podcast hasn’t had a new episode since when Big E won the title so between that and the long UUDD hiatus - it isn’t surprising Dan is gone

Around the time WWE reshuffled their digital division he pretty much stopped tweeting about WWE stuff and just about his side projects so I would guess he got sidelined or somehow shafted in that transition.

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well the New Day podcast hasn’t had a new episode since when Big E won the title so between that and the long UUDD hiatus - it isn’t surprising Dan is gone

I think the more surprising thing is that he's back at Giant Bomb as their creative director.

So Jeff is starting his own podcast and Patreon. I guess episode 1 of the podcast is what he's doing on Twitch right now. Patreon is also live and it brings basically the same perks that other gaming podcast Patreons have where you get access to their Discord and other stuff. Sounds like Jeff is just going solo for now, but said he'd love to have others on with him like Ben Pack. Also said he'd like to do guest spots on other podcasts. Kinda Funny was one in particular that was called out primarily because Jeff was responding to Greg Miller.

EDIT: In addition, his departure from Giant Bomb was fairly sudden, but probably known of and kept quiet for a couple weeks. However, with how slapped together this Twitch video has been, including learning about needing to create his YouTube channel while live on Twitch, seems like the most Giant Bomb shit ever. Kinda sad he doesn't have anyone to play off of mainly because if Ryan were alive then Ryan would be there with him. But yeah, this thing being conceived of in about 24 hours time and still being developed on the fly is very much in the spirit of old Giant Bomb.

Edited by Craig H

29 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Did Jeff really talk about why he's not at Giant Bomb anymore?

Nope. I would imagine that after he went scorched earth on Gamespot years ago he learned it’s probably best to keep some things to himself. Plus, he has two kids and probably doesn’t want Red Ventures going after him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

He really ruined the UUDD a podcast for me when he was on. I stopped listening to an episode whenever he was on it.

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Nope. I would imagine that after he went scorched earth on Gamespot years ago he learned it’s probably best to keep some things to himself. Plus, he has two kids and probably doesn’t want Red Ventures going after him.

Yeah, the only thing I caught was he said "we've been very open in the past about how many times this thing almost fell apart and we all quit." They went into a lot of detail on that for Brad/Vinny/Alex's last episode.

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

He really ruined the UUDD a podcast for me when he was on. I stopped listening to an episode whenever he was on it.

Dan is definitely a very acquired taste, and he's somehow grown his profile since leaving Giant Bomb. 

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Yeah, the only thing I caught was he said "we've been very open in the past about how many times this thing almost fell apart and we all quit." They went into a lot of detail on that for Brad/Vinny/Alex's last episode.

Dan is definitely a very acquired taste, and he's somehow grown his profile since leaving Giant Bomb. 

I went back and listened to it all because I had to stop early into it. He did wind up commenting on how his work life, essentially Giant Bomb, was affecting his home life and he described the working situation as poison. I think that's the most he'll probably have to say about it, but if that's the case, then Red Ventures probably did promise a false bill of goods, which is what I think all of us fans were worried about in the first place.

so Epic Games had a blog post up for quite a while about the new Spider-Man Zero outfit promoting the release of the new Fortnite crossover comic (released today). If you bought it, digitally or physically, it comes with a redemption code for the skin - and each issue after that is for a pickaxe, loading screen, etc.

It specifically mentioned the Marvel Comics app (not Unlimited, but that’s included too and you have to wait until September) and digital issues from other places like Amazon, and now after it’s officially released, they edit the blog and remove the part about digital purchases except for through Unlimited.

I mean it’s only $6 but still. That’s pretty shitty of them.

I have been struggling a bit since I beat Elden Ring to find a game to play all the way through. While I really enjoy video games and once I find one I love I'll sink 6 to 8 hours a day into it, my mood of what I feel like playing also changes rapidly with large ubisoft-ish open world games being the only consistent thing I love. I also have an issue where if I start a game and then go to play another game, I never go back to that first game. Its like it stopped existing in my brain, which is a problem. In the last three weeks I've gone through:

• Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising - This game is really not particularly fun but I played it for about six hours on a slow day. It looks pretty and is simple, but its mostly fetch quests. Once I put it down I had no reason to pick it back up.
  • Sniper Elite 5 - Played through the first two areas in two days, doing this one on PC since mouse/keyboard is nice for shooters. It seems fun but the second area I got swarmed too often, I still got through it but I wanted more uh sniping. A fun game, but its been a week so unsure if I will ever go back to it.
  • Triangle Strategy - I feel bad about this as I think it is probably a good game, but I played it late one night for about an hour over two weeks ago but haven't gone back to it. It was going to be my "while traveling for work" game but now KOTOR may take its place.
  • Wasteland 3 - I never played it when it came out but giving it a try on Game Pass. I am playing it on Easy (don't judge me, I am really bad at this style of game) and its pretty fun. I'm enjoying it but I am trying to get through it fast as I know if I stop, I won't finish it. I think I am pretty far along and I may actually finish this one.
  • KOTOR 1 and 2 - I purchased the Switch bundle, haven't started it yet as I want to finish whatever I listed above first as I know they are time consuming games.

My goal is always to find a game that grips my interest like Horizon and Elden Ring did, I am not sure what on the upcoming schedule is a lock to do that so for now I'll just keep bopping around. My pile of unfinished games is pretty embarrassing but I just can't go back to a game I am halfway through, which means I have to start the game over which I don't always feel like doing. I game stupidly.

• Like 1