DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

You will be interesting in this @Craig H

https://www.ign.com/articles/v-rising-stunlock-early-success-future-plans-roadmap

Even the V-Rising developers were surprised by its success

Since launching through Steam Early Access on May 17, in a notably complete state, V Rising has grown in popularity day after day. It hit close to 50,000 players within a few hours of being released, and as of May 23, has a 24-hour peak of more than 150,000. For context, more people have played V Rising today than the Steam versions of Grand Theft Auto V or Elden Ring.

“I absolutely did not expect this many people”, said Stunlock’s community manager Jeremy Fielding just as V Rising hit 80,000 players and sold 500,000 copies overall. “I don’t think anybody expected it to be quite this big.”

• Like 1

I thought I saw they sold 1 million copies and it's basically the most popular thing to hit since Lost Ark. I have a friend who is a hardcore Lost Ark player and he was talking about how a lot of people are jumping over from that to V Rising.

I think if @J.T.ever plays it, we may lose him forever.

Make another Twisted Metal video game, ya pricks. 

I mean, sure, a TV show is fine (cast JK Simmons as Sweet Tooth, please), but c'mon!

• Like 1

Yeah, I mentioned this in the TV thread. Netflix is doing Horizon Zero Dawn, Amazon is doing God of War, Twisted Metal is Peacock, The Last of Us is obviously on HBO. I'm not sure any of the others have streaming services or channels attached to them that I know. I'm very, very cautiously optimistic about the Horizon show, given that I'm absolutely obsessed with the games and that world. But Netflix doing it doesn't inspire a lot of faith like it used to a few years ago. I also really want Rose Leslie to play Aloy.

Twisted Metal is probably the furthest along, publicly anyway, besides the Last of Us. Anthony Mackie is the star and playing a new character who is a milkman named John Doe, Neve Campbell in an unspecified role, Thomas Haden Church playing Agent Stone and Stephanie Beatriz as a new character called Quiet.

8 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Gran Turismo movie and/or series, eh?

One of these things is not like the others. . .

Gran Turismo will probably be either a) Top Gear but with Kazunori Yamauchi and others at Polyphony driving cars, visiting test tracks, looking at new cars or b) some reality TV bullshit with people who play nothing but Gran Turismo becoming actual race car drivers.

Neither sounds appealing.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 hours ago, Chaos said:

What controller is the recommended one to use for the Switch? Is it the Pro controller? An 8 Bit one? Something else

I use a Pro controller for actual Switch games and an 8BitDo controller styled after the SNES controller for the SNES games they have. Both are great. Apparently 8BitDo makes a six button controller for Genesis games as well but I haven't tried that.

in December, i started playing through the old school Mega Man games. breezed through the first 6 by mid-January. i had played most of these as a kid so was already pretty familiar.

Had a hell of a time with #7. yes, it was tough, but i just didn't enjoy it much.

started on 8. really enjoyed all the individual levels (there's a shoot 'em up section and a skiing section (akin to the Donkey Kong Country mine cart levels)) that added some fun variety. those final boss stages damn near broke me though. finally conquered it back in March.

began Mega Man & Bass (on the Game Boy Advance. unofficially #8.5). fucking difficult. rage quit at the end of March. picked up a knockoff SNES cart of it and have been slowly picking away at it. finally buckled down to finish it this morning. it was a rough time, but i ultimately defeated Dr. Wily with my last sliver of health of my last life. if he had killed me, i don't know that i would've put myself through that again.

mission accomplished. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

in December, i started playing through the old school Mega Man games. breezed through the first 6 by mid-January. i had played most of these as a kid so was already pretty familiar.

Had a hell of a time with #7. yes, it was tough, but i just didn't enjoy it much.

started on 8. really enjoyed all the individual levels (there's a shoot 'em up section and a skiing section (akin to the Donkey Kong Country mine cart levels)) that added some fun variety. those final boss stages damn near broke me though. finally conquered it back in March.

began Mega Man & Bass (on the Game Boy Advance. unofficially #8.5). fucking difficult. rage quit at the end of March. picked up a knockoff SNES cart of it and have been slowly picking away at it. finally buckled down to finish it this morning. it was a rough time, but i ultimately defeated Dr. Wily with my last sliver of health of my last life. if he had killed me, i don't know that i would've put myself through that again.

mission accomplished. 

Mega Man 7's flaws are all about the sprite size and the movement speed. It is so uniquely miserable. I'm surprised more hasn't been written about it.

I've got a big box of games I want to properly sell. Megaman & Bass is strongly being considered. I don't think there's anything that Mega Man 8 doesn't do better.

VII is great. It's unfairly shat on and isn't even challenging until the Wily's Castle run. Cloud Man and Shade Man also have elite themes.

My favorite Mega Man games are all on SNES - X, VII, X2 in that order.

40 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

VII is great. It's unfairly shat on and isn't even challenging until the Wily's Castle run. Cloud Man and Shade Man also have elite themes.

My favorite Mega Man games are all on SNES - X, VII, X2 in that order.

7 is my least favorite of the 10 i have played. i didn't know it had a bad reputation until after playing through it.

4 > 3 > 6 > 2 > X > 8 > 5 > 1 > Bass > 7

The servers for the PS3 version of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and the servers for PS3 & PS4 versions of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes have been shutdown. If you're looking to Platinum MGS V PS3 and you haven't started, you're out of luck. I'm thankfully three trophies away from Platinum'ing MGS V PS3.

Servers for PS4 version of Metal Gear Solid V are still up...for now.

My love affair with V Rising is already done. It's cool, but honestly, it also feels like a chore to make sure you're logging back in and farming energy so your blood altar doesn't run out of blood. If it does, a message is sent to everyone on the server that they can come and ransack your home/castle. 

Plus, as neat as the day/night system is, every time I get into a big fight it turns into day and I'm just fucked. 

And now I'm going to give Lost Ark a shot because clearly I love beating my head into the wall.

14 hours ago, twiztor said:

7 is my least favorite of the 10 i have played. i didn't know it had a bad reputation until after playing through it.

4 > 3 > 6 > 2 > X > 8 > 5 > 1 > Bass > 7

I'm definitely in a minority on VII, which I accept. You have X fifth? I think it's hands-down the best of those games. So many hidden secrets, dope levels, a great final boss fight...man, I love X. I need to bust out the SNES Classic, which I'm pretty sure includes X on it. 

I know people love 2, and I enjoy it as well, but man, they didn't hit their stride until SNES to me.

I've got the first two GB Mega Man games because I've been buying stuff before the 3DS eShop closes down next year. I need to dive into those. I remember the first game being hard as hell because of how you'd easily get caught by enemies during screen scrolling. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I'm definitely in a minority on VII, which I accept. You have X fifth? I think it's hands-down the best of those games. So many hidden secrets, dope levels, a great final boss fight...man, I love X. I need to bust out the SNES Classic, which I'm pretty sure includes X on it. 

I know people love 2, and I enjoy it as well, but man, they didn't hit their stride until SNES to me.

I've got the first two GB Mega Man games because I've been buying stuff before the 3DS eShop closes down next year. I need to dive into those. I remember the first game being hard as hell because of how you'd easily get caught by enemies during screen scrolling. 

X is an excellent update of what made the NES games so magical. when i beat it a couple months ago, i made sure to get all the hidden pieces and unlock the haduken. so cool. honestly between 6, 2, and X, i have them all pretty equal so they could switch around if you ask me a different day. 

i'll be the first to admit that i have a heavy NES bias. not just for Mega Man, but for pretty much everything. so obviously that's a factor too.

never played the Game Boy games. just not interested. if they would have had unique robot bosses i'd be more likely to check them out 

• Like 1

Diablo Immortal doesn't work on the A13 (absolutely a super common current phone) which would have been nice to know before incinerating a couple GB of mobile data, but I guess even the simplest checks and balances are too much to expect from Blizzard.

On 5/31/2022 at 5:36 PM, twiztor said:

X is an excellent update of what made the NES games so magical. when i beat it a couple months ago, i made sure to get all the hidden pieces and unlock the haduken. so cool. honestly between 6, 2, and X, i have them all pretty equal so they could switch around if you ask me a different day. 

i'll be the first to admit that i have a heavy NES bias. not just for Mega Man, but for pretty much everything. so obviously that's a factor too.

never played the Game Boy games. just not interested. if they would have had unique robot bosses i'd be more likely to check them out 

Mega Man V on Game Boy has a lot of unqiue stuff including bosses. II - V on GB are incredibly well done.

I too am a Mega Man IV guy. Ring Man's music in particular, never gets enough love.

• Like 1