DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah as long as it is an old key it's fine. It got delisted from the steam store over some DRM rights bullshit but as long as the key was purchasd before store removal it's 100% good. I guess I'll check out g2a since that's the best of the limited options.

This should probably go in the Sports thread, but it's a big enough gaming story that I'm posting it here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/sports/soccer/fifa-ea-sports.html

Sounds like FIFA 23 will happen, but new branding after that.  For FIFA, the game was probably the only positive thing associated with the brand, so a bigger loss for them. 

Xbox Series X|S owners will no longer be forced to listen to their friends noisily chew down their microphones, as Microsoft rolls out a new update that'll shush environmental sounds in voice chats.

Xbox Insiders in the Alpha Skip Ahead ring can now take advantage of a new party chat noise suppression feature for the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. It's being introduced in the latest Xbox Update Preview and should cut out irritating background noises when chatting online.

“We’ve enabled a new feature which will process your microphone input through a noise suppression step to help produce cleaner audio in your Party Chat session,” Microsoft says about the new feature. “The setting is enabled by default but can be toggled from the dropdown options menu.”

If Microsoft has tuned the noise suppression correctly, it should make for a big improvement. You’ll no longer have to subject yourself to your friends’ heavy breathing or irritating chewing every time you jump into a party chat, and distracting background noises, such as nearby dog barks or loud bangs, should be isolated to keep the audio as clean as possible.

Guilty as charged.  If you don't want to hear me eating my Sweet Spicy Chili Doritos, mute my fucking mic.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

Guardians of the Galaxy was a nice little game, and it's a shame that it probably won't get a sequel (though I suppose Embracer Group could always try to snag a license for GotG).

I'm glad to see an AAA game try to incorporate the Telltale style of gameplay into the parts where the player would normally be just watching a cut-scene conversation play out or where the conversation is the gameplay (as in a specific convo with the Worldmind, for example). Games where conversation is the gameplay that aren't VN/classic adventure games are too few. 

Anyway, the writing was actually pretty good and the story and character arcs were mostly handled with grace. The action parts of the gameplay are just fine, perfectly cromulent, and this game probably should have done way better than it did on its own merits. 

7 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Guardians of the Galaxy was a nice little game, and it's a shame that it probably won't get a sequel (though I suppose Embracer Group could always try to snag a license for GotG).

I'm glad to see an AAA game try to incorporate the Telltale style of gameplay into the parts where the player would normally be just watching a cut-scene conversation play out or where the conversation is the gameplay (as in a specific convo with the Worldmind, for example). Games where conversation is the gameplay that aren't VN/classic adventure games are too few. 

Anyway, the writing was actually pretty good and the story and character arcs were mostly handled with grace. The action parts of the gameplay are just fine, perfectly cromulent, and this game probably should have done way better than it did on its own merits. 

I get the feeling @OldSchoolJohn, would have appreciated you using the word "cromulent". 

• Like 3

I think Jeff Grubb in the last week or two predicted that the NFT Pivot will basically be more push to sell community created stuff like in Minecraft, Roblox, etc. I think Fortnite has started looking into that too, so basically have your community generate content and revenue for you is an interesting idea.

I think you will see some of your larger crypto coins rebound overtime, but I never thought NFTs were a good idea. 

Crypto's rebound is solely based on if Coinbase (or whoever it is that's trying it) gets away with the "If we go belly up, we own your coins" routine they floated last week.

I think Crypto is shady, but, like, not really any more shady than traditional money markets. "Crypto's just a ponzi scheme" what exactly do people think governments are sitting on 38 bajillion tons of gold for my dude?

NFT's on the other hand... Jesus Christ, just fuck off. You have an imaginary POG collection, just buy actual POGs they are 1000 times cooler. Name a single person that has funged a POG. You can't do it.

My Etherium and Dogecoin mining servers continue to grind out a tidy profit that goes straight to my daughter's Virginia 529 plan and my car note.  She will graduate debt free thanks to Crypto proceeds and matching funds from the state.  I am perfectly cool with other people believing that Crypto is shady.  Less people competing against me for a piece of the blockchain.

As far as NFT's go, eh.  The volatility of Crypto makes me wonder about how the value of NFTs will fluctuate from day to day.  For now, it's probably best to invest in a tangible asset.  If you want to put your money into art, go and buy a painting or something.

Edited by J.T.

Note to self - remember to talk to JT about the negative effects Crypto and NFTs have on the environment after his daughter graduates college

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Note to self - remember to talk to JT about the negative effects Crypto and NFTs have on the environment after his daughter graduates college

Yes, my Braiins OS+ software tells me that the chipsets on my servers are steadily burning a hole in the ozone layer but even overclocked, my machines still elicit a low power draw thanks to some settings tweaking / file editing and my standing rack has ample cooling.  Surprisingly, my electricity bills have not gone through the roof.

I will shut down all of my miners after my kid gets her diploma.  In the meantime, I will buy her lots and lots of sunblock and a Geiger counter.  I will also donate some of my Microsoft Rewards points to a climate activism charity.

Edited by J.T.

18 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I think Crypto is shady, but, like, not really any more shady than traditional money markets. "Crypto's just a ponzi scheme" what exactly do people think governments are sitting on 38 bajillion tons of gold for my dude?

NFT's on the other hand... Jesus Christ, just fuck off. You have an imaginary POG collection, just buy actual POGs they are 1000 times cooler. Name a single person that has funged a POG. You can't do it.

I think that gold having actual valuable use makes gold-backed paper a little bit different than "the value is in the blockchain, MANNNNNNN" shit like crypto.

I'm not saying that paper money is without shadiness, mind you! I do think that crypto is considerably shadier, though.

29 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I think that gold having actual valuable use makes gold-backed paper a little bit different than "the value is in the blockchain, MANNNNNNN" shit like crypto.

I'm not saying that paper money is without shadiness, mind you! I do think that crypto is considerably shadier, though.

I think @Death From Above's point is that modern currency is not backed by gold.  Modern currency is kind of only worth what everyone believes its worth, it's worth is not directly related to gold reserves.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I think @Death From Above's point is that modern currency is not backed by gold.  Modern currency is kind of only worth what everyone believes its worth, it's worth is not directly related to gold reserves.

Sure, sure, but I still think modern monetary policy for currencies that are not pegged to gold (there's only like one or two anymore, I think) is based on tangible things - GDP, for example, is actual production of goods and services, which is definitely a thing. When money is "created" out of thin air, it's very broadly based on assumptions about current and future economic production. 

I don't even think crypto has that going for it. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

40 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Well that may be true, but the currencies of most nations is also insured by the government.  If someone robs a bank, your money is safeguarded up to a certain amount.   If you lose your Bitcoin wallet key or if something else bad happens, you're pretty much ass out.

Ok. Yearly update on the streak. 2 years straight with a least one achievement on Xbox. 3358 total achievements over that time. Average about 4.6 a day. Make no mistake, I make sure to spend plenty of time with Joey, but no children and her work as a teacher gives me plenty  of free time.

• Like 2

Hooooo boy, I fell down the V Rising rabbit hole and it is freaking awesome. Out of everyone on this board, I think @J.T.might get the biggest kick out of it. Right now it's in early access on Steam for $20. It's a kinda/sorta MMO that is more on the survival side of things. You join a server and you can join a server with friends. Servers are currently capped at 40 players. Your character is a vampire that awakens with it's powers greatly diminished. Within an hour though, you're acquiring materials to craft weapons and armor to making chopping down trees and breaking up rocks go faster.

In the game world, which is fairly large, you wind up fighting all sorts of creatures and humans. The variety of enemies is pretty deep from what I could tell in my handful of hours with it. It does have a top down view so it's Diablo-esque, but it's also a skill shot game. WASD controls your movement while your mouse controls your attacks with the left click and right click moves the camera around. Then there are all the number keys and a few letter keys that let you select items or abilities.

The one cool twist to this is that since you are a vampire, you need to feed and the sun is fucking deadly. As far as feeding goes, once you get any enemy down low enough, you can feed on them to fill up your blood pool. That also gives you passive buffs based on what you're feeding off of. There was a moose a fed off of that gave me a movement speed buff while a bear I fed off of gave me resistance to sunlight. The game also has a day and night cycle where like I said, the sun will start to kill you if you're not hiding in shadow. Plus, as the day progresses, the angle of the sunlight moves. It's really damn cool.

Then there's one of the coolest parts to the game. With all of the resources you acquire, you build a castle for yourself and that part is very intuitive and easy to use. You start out simple with wooden walls, but the higher level you get, the more complex you can make your castle. There is an energy requirement for the castle though, which is based on enemies you kill. Basically, anything you kill gives you these blood orbs that you feed into your castle that makes it impervious from outsiders for a set amount of time. It's an engine to keep you coming back to play the game so this creation of yours doesn't get fucked with or overrun with vampire hunters, beasts, etc. It doesn't take much to keep it protected. After maybe 10 minutes of killing mobs I had enough blood orbs to protect my home for at least a day and a half and the higher level you get, the more blood orbs you can pump into your home so it's protected for weeks or even a month, which lessens the amount of grind there is so it doesn't feel like such a chore.

Plus, if you're on a server with friends, you can enter each others homes, use each others sawmills or workbenches or blood presses or whatever and since it's MMO-esque, you can see the homes everyone else has built on your server. The servers being capped at 40 players lessens the amount of space these places will take up and that blood orb mechanic to keep your home protected is also a way to get rid of homes from folks that have simply stepped away from the game. 

It's all very brilliant and I haven't played anything quite like this. For $20, it feels like a steal. I can't recommend it enough and I'm hoping it eventually makes its way to consoles too.

• Like 1

Since Swansong is terrible and Bloodlines 2 could end up being vaporware, I might have to check this V Rising thing out and see if it scratches the vampire itch.  Vampyr for XBox certainly did not.  I think I need the newly sold Crystal Dynamics to make me another Legacy of Kain game.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Raven Software's QA team overwhelmingly won their union election today, the first at a major game publisher.

I'm proud it happened in my city and hope it's the first of many.

• Like 3

V Rising continues to...ahem...consume my life. I only meant to spend 30 minutes in game just gathering materials like wood, stone, and copper to keep working on my castle and keep adding structures to it. Next thing I knew two hours went by. I never played Valheim or any other survival-ish games, but this one is really addictive. I think it honestly may be the vampire aspect and all of the mechanics that go along with that that keep me coming back. I have my nice little plot of land for where I'm building my castle and nearby there's a couple players who have made these cathedral looking palaces. It's also just fun to group up with 2 or 3 friends and head out, explore, fuck around with enemies, and quickly and easily trade materials with your friends.

There are some downsides to the game that primarily have to do with it being in early access. For instance, we're on a PVE server, so no one should be able to fuck with us if we're logged off. My one friend is positive that before logging off the other night, he put himself in his coffin, which basically protects you from any and all attacks and sunlight damage when you're away from the game. He logged on last night and was dead, someone presumably dragged his dead corpse away from his startup castle, looted it, and looted his storage boxes in his base, so he was back to square one. It's possible he forget to put himself in his coffin before logging out, but even then, it's a PVE server so you shouldn't be able to loot another players body or their base. That stuff is strictly for PVP servers.

And that has honestly been the biggest issue any of us have had with the game. It runs super smoothly for early access and I'm shocked at the amount of content in the game.

In other news, up until installing V Rising the other day, it had been almost a year since I did anything with my Steam account. I noticed that Gloomhaven hit full release all the way back in October, which means you can now play the whole entire campaign, all nearly 250 campaign scenarios, with up to four friends. That is fucking awesome and I went ahead and bought copies of it for a few of my friends. They also just released the Jaws of the Lion DLC, which is basically just the full Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion board game. 

Then that lead me to check out the progress on Baldur's Gate 3 since I bought that in early access too and man, that game still needs a lot of work. The camera in it is still all weird. Divinity Original Sin 2 is still a better D&D experience, but if they can just iron out some of the glaring issues with Baldur's Gate 3, then it will be just as good.