DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Lance Reddick was on Xplay earlier today playing Destiny and talking about his role as Albert Wesker in Netflix's Resident Evil live action show. Apparently Destiny is his favorite video game and plays it a lot?? And on the same show, Bruce Campbell was interviewed while the Xplay crew played the new Evil Dead game.

Edited by Casey

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Lance Reddick was on Xplay earlier today playing Destiny and talking about his role as Albert Wesker in Netflix's Resident Evil live action show. Apparently Destiny is his favorite video game and plays it a lot?? And on the same show, Bruce Campbell was interviewed while the Xplay crew played the new Evil Dead game.

Oh yeah - it is well known in the Destiny community how much Reddick plays (the irony is he plays a different class than the one he voices).

A lot of folks are worried that his character is going to be killed off (mainly for fears that he is becoming too busy to keep voicing the character) and Reddick himself said they haven't told him shit.

I guess they have Bruce out doing the hard push on Evil Dead since the current Game Informer features Evil Dead and an interview with Campbell

I guess I will put this here

Bloomberg is reporting that Twitch is considering reducing the revenue cut for the top tier streamers from 70/30 to 50/50

So I am already seeing some streamers threatening to leave the platform

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodhunt released yesterday I guess. I tried it late last night/early this morning. It's weird the only option is for solo and trios matches. I don't mind the combat and the traversal is fun, but it feels really.... shallow and bare bones. I mean, it IS the first day of release, so I'm not terribly shocked, but it doesn't make me want to go back and play it until the game is a few months old at the very least.

I feel like any games trying to be a battle royale with the shrinking map just aren't going to get it right, at least not for awhile - especially when held up against stuff like Apex or Fortnite. Granted, those two have been out for years, but still. No Build Fortnite is honestly super fun and I have NO idea why, because it's just a 3rd person shooter with all sorts of skins and that's it. But I'm hooked on getting as much XP as possible, doing the battle pass, etc.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

I feel like any games trying to be a battle royale with the shrinking map just aren't going to get it right, at least not for awhile - especially when held up against stuff like Apex or Fortnite. Granted, those two have been out for years, but still. No Build Fortnite is honestly super fun and I have NO idea why, because it's just a 3rd person shooter with all sorts of skins and that's it. But I'm hooked on getting as much XP as possible, doing the battle pass, etc.

Weekly reminder that I hope Rumbleverse is awesome. I signed up for the beta so I'm ready to jump into that as soon as I get the green light.

Finally broke the seal and picked up Dead Cells. Got to the Concierge on my first run, then stunk it up for a little bit, then wiped him out with a purple build. Annihilated Conjunctivitis on my first try. Got spanked in the Clock Tower, was not ready for The Forgotten Sepulcher's gimmick, but they seem doable. I have four neat runes that let me do neat things. Felt like a productive first day-and-a-half of playing it.

I feel dirty winding up with really purple-heavy builds, though. I worry that going green and doing lots of parries is the "purest" way of playing - it's a great way of beating Concierge and taking out ranged enemies but I got a good green start once and was totally wrecked by the spikey dudes in the Ossuary. Purple seems cheap but wolf trap + turret can be nasty.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

The Embracer Group - who already owns Gearbox and THQ Nordic - has bought the following from Square Enix for $300 million

• Crystal Dynamics
  • Eidos Montreal
  • Square Enix Montreal

Gives them the rights to such things as (but not limited to)

• Deus Ex
  • Tomb Raider
  • Thief
  • Legacy of Kain

In the their press release - Square Enix flat out said they sold stuff because they wanted the money waste it... errr.... fund blockchains

I am assuming Embracer would not be disappointed by the sales of Tomb Raider or Guardians of the Galaxy

• Sad 1

No company in their right mind would be disappointed by the sales of GoTG.  Embracer could earn its way to my heart by reviving Legacy of Kain, but at this point only old fucks like me remember what the hell was going on. 

They'd probably have to reboot the entire franchise and start everyone fresh on the narrative and this time please don't take twenty fucking year to tell the tale.  I am in my mid-fifties for fuck's sake.  My prime gaming window is closing rapidly.

I would kill for a 3PS open world version of Deus Ex.  I would even settle for an FPS open world experience like Cyberpunk 2077 as long as it wasn't bugged all to fuck.  No more chapters and mini-maps.  Ever.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Embracer, which has a reputation for acquisitions and a war chest of 10 billion Swedish krona ($1.02 billion), said the deal will give it a pipeline of more than 230 games including 30 big-budget AAA titles.

I would LOVE to see a list of those titles.

This is officially Square Enix getting out of the West

Senior analyst at Niko Partners, Daniel Ahmad, tweeted to say Square Enix's western studios have "underperformed over numerous titles", with the company's biggest growth coming from Japan-made mobile phone games and MMOs. According to Ahmad, Square Enix had looked to sell the western studios for "a while".

• Sad 4

To clarify - the 230 games/30 AAA titles line

That came directly from Embracer's release and appears to count stuff that Embracer already owned (so anything coming from Gearbox and THQ Nordic)

Plus a lot of the titles appear to be mobile games.

None of the companies are specifying yet what the 50 IP titles are that Embracer is getting

Deal isn't supposed to close until sometime between July - Sept 2022

• Like 2

Sad, but not terribly surprising.  Squeenix can get back to doing things they're good at and maybe some North American or European devs can make something out of those languishing Western IPs. 

The new Tomb Raider story showed a lot of promise and I liked the character trajectory of the revised Lara Croft.  The games deserved better than the Squeenix we'll get to it when we get to it release schedule.

Edited by J.T.

As a trophy hunter, I'm concerned about being able to get the online trophies for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and being able to 100% Rise of the Tomb Raider & Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Also, I'm hoping that this doesn't mean that Avengers will be shutting down sooner than later and I'm hoping they'll fix the numerous bugs/issues/unobtainable trophies with the new owners.

Also, I really hope we'll see more realistic expectations for Crystal Dynamics/Eidos Montreal/S-E Montreal games from Embracer. Expecting Final Fantasy like sales for their games wasn't fair on them.

It also makes me wonder about the financial shape Square Enix is in to be selling their North American developers/division basically. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony swoops in to buy the remaining Japanese portion of Square Enix.

• Like 1

Squeenix has been wanting Sony to buy it since their spat with Nintendo over the decision to move FF to PS because Squeenix hated cartridges. Sony gets a regular and popular content developer and Squeenix only has to develop for one platform or maybe two if they decide that future FF games should become PS exclusives with PC ports thrown in when they can get to them..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

My guess is that Square never sells to anyone. I know everyone has a price, but they seem as weirdly run as, say, Nintendo, and I just don't see them being bought out.

• Like 1

I think they would sell if the price were right.  I also don't think they will sell to anyone that isn't Japanese.  The only Japanese company with deep enough pockets to afford Squeenix is Sony.

I was starting to think that Saints' Row was an IP owned by Embracer, but I forgot that THQ sold Volition to another company that merged everything under Deep Silver.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

They also deserved better than being constantly told their sales were shit when they weren't

Yeah, not every title is going to sell 10 million copies.  It's OK to have a critically-acclaimed, well-loved title that sells 5 million units when you're not spending $300m making the game.   

Edited by Tabe