DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

On 4/12/2022 at 3:22 PM, Tabe said:

Listen, pal, in my day everything fricking flickered in mid-flight. Suck it up! 

I have a goddamned X/S and an 55" Ulra HD Vizio as well as a 1.5 TB laptop with a high end NVidia card.  Mother fuckers need to either spec up their games or get the fuck out of the business.  My grown-up toys are high end.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
46 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I have a goddamned X/S and an 55" Ulra HD Vizio as well as a 1.5 TB laptop with a high end NVidia card.  Mother fuckers need to either spec up their games or get the fuck out of the business.  My grown-up toys are high end.

I have, uh... a Super Nintendo. ?

I have a weak laptop that can't actually play Ori 2, which surprised me as I usually can handle metroidvanias.

I can play Crosscode though and have been enjoying it. I really like the overworld exploration as there are a lot of chests that are very tricky to get to. The dungeon puzzles take thought but aren't as fun. Combat is ok. Story is fairly clever so far. But it's mainly about overworld exploration to me.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I was gifted a copy of Patrick's Parabox, and that has been very fun. I love unique puzzle games, and this one is a "move boxes around into specific spaces to clear the level" kind of game, except you can actually enter certain boxes to enter an entirely different playfield within a level to clear that level. It's like the Adventures of Lolo meets Inception, only without any enemies.

I love it so much.

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

I have a weak laptop that can't actually play Ori 2, which surprised me as I usually can handle metroidvanias.

I can play Crosscode though and have been enjoying it. I really like the overworld exploration as there are a lot of chests that are very tricky to get to. The dungeon puzzles take thought but aren't as fun. Combat is ok. Story is fairly clever so far. But it's mainly about overworld exploration to me.

CrossCode was so good I actually double dipped and bought a physical collector’s edition even though I only have a digital PS5.

• Like 1

Got my 248th Platinum trophy with Fall Guys last night. Basically, it's been a race the last couple of weeks to Platinum this due to MediaTonic releasing a new launcher (and new trophy list) on April 5 and discontinuing the current launcher on May 9. This is, in effect, a server shutdown.

MediaTonic support just basically doesn't understand how trophies work and claim the old list will be deleted on May 9 when there's a brand new list that's out. Sony will never do that for anyone.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:32 AM, Zimbra said:

I am like 90% sure that my wife is getting me one of those bootleg Chinese gameboys for my birthday this month and I am almost as giddy about having a new gadget to fuck with as about playing VPW2 at work.

I got it and oh my god it is so good.  The build quality is surprising, much more solid than you would expect from something like this.  I think this thing has a better d-pad than any console controller I've used in years.  The screen is nice and bright, although my old eyes wish it was a little larger.  The default software isn't great but it runs off a microSD card so it looks pretty easy to load custom firmware.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Are they keeping the "Win 5 Crowns in a Row" Trophy that kept a lot of people I know from completing the Plat/100%?

Yup. I did Infallible (which is that trophy) when they had custom game glitch that unlocked the trophy for a day or so in 2021.

On 4/14/2022 at 7:45 AM, J.T. said:

Dude, I posted about this before, but I purchased Battle Axe because I like hack and slash games and it had slow down then a bunch of enemies were appearing on the screen and flickering and you can't build a retro style game from scratch and have that stuff. I'm running a PS5 with a 55" 4K TV and that shouldn't happen.

• Like 1

I think I've found the number one thing about Fallout 3 & New Vegas that I don't like: how hard it is to consistently do an 'evil' playthrough.  Granted, I don't and probably won't do them on 3, since it's just similar enough to DC that I can't *quite* bring myself to constantly murder the descendants of the real city where I live.  But in New Vegas, I thought, hey sure, it's Vegas, why not.

So I go around stealing stuff, picking owned locks, and EATING CORPSES for a good 5 hours, and it doesn't budge off "Neutral".  And then I shoot one - *ONE* escaped convict in the face and check my karma: GOOD!  What the shit, man!  I'm not!  I'm a terrible, terrible human!  I eat ghouls, too, for God's sake!  And how do you even know that convict was a bad guy, per se?  What if he was just minding his own business, shooting some Jet, and the NCR had to be fashy about it?  Maybe he wasn't a violent guy til he got locked up!

Hopefully there's some Jade Empire-level stuff in front of me, decision-wise, that can really lock in some awfulness points, because so far, this is frustrating.  It's the only time I'm likely to do something like a Legion playthrough, because otherwise fuck those guys, so...better get it right!

Edited by Contentious C

21 hours ago, Contentious C said:

So I go around stealing stuff, picking owned locks, and EATING CORPSES for a good 5 hours, and it doesn't budge off "Neutral".  And then I shoot one - *ONE* escaped convict in the face and check my karma: GOOD!  What the shit, man!  I'm not!  I'm a terrible, terrible human!  I eat ghouls, too, for God's sake!

If it helps, the karma meter in New Vegas affects absolutely nothing during the game itself. So you can be content to wallow in crapulence and just ignore the fact that the game won't actually label you "evil".

It does mess up the end-game vignettes, though, which is annoying.

I suck so fucking bad at online MK11 but at least I'm very slightly improving. Considering I usually play stick-and-move kind of characters (Kung Lao, Rain), surprisingily the guy I'm having a lot of fun with is Kotal Kahn. Very simple and straight ahead Big Smash stuff but he's got some extremely sneaky range and one unblockable special that can really catch people.

The Wu-Tang Clan, one of the most influential hip-hop groups of all time, is coming to Fortnite with in-game Wu Wear items, including outfits, back blings, pickaxes, and other cosmetics. 

Hip-hop fans can purchase the Throwback BG outfit, which comes with the matching WUWEAR Worldwide back bling. The Neck Protector pickaxe is also available for purchase, which reacts to hits. The back bling reacts to music as well, adding a nice detail while running around the map. Players can also enjoy the Ruckus Red alternate style for the Throwback BG outfit and the back bling. 

Tempting, but I'd rather bash my face into a plate glass window than play Fortnite.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Tempting, but I'd rather bash my face into a plate glass window than play Fortnite.

I played one round for the first time in ages last weekend and had my best finish ever (finished 3rd). The lack of building makes that game a lot more fun to me. 

On 4/16/2022 at 11:55 AM, Contentious C said:

I think I've found the number one thing about Fallout 3 & New Vegas that I don't like: how hard it is to consistently do an 'evil' playthrough.  Granted, I don't and probably won't do them on 3, since it's just similar enough to DC that I can't *quite* bring myself to constantly murder the descendants of the real city where I live.  But in New Vegas, I thought, hey sure, it's Vegas, why not.

So I go around stealing stuff, picking owned locks, and EATING CORPSES for a good 5 hours, and it doesn't budge off "Neutral".  And then I shoot one - *ONE* escaped convict in the face and check my karma: GOOD!  What the shit, man!  I'm not!  I'm a terrible, terrible human!  I eat ghouls, too, for God's sake!  And how do you even know that convict was a bad guy, per se?  What if he was just minding his own business, shooting some Jet, and the NCR had to be fashy about it?  Maybe he wasn't a violent guy til he got locked up!

Hopefully there's some Jade Empire-level stuff in front of me, decision-wise, that can really lock in some awfulness points, because so far, this is frustrating.  It's the only time I'm likely to do something like a Legion playthrough, because otherwise fuck those guys, so...better get it right!

In FO3, if you nuke Megaton that knocks your karma to as far evil as you can get.

I went COMPLETELY old school with my most recent purchase. All the old AD&D Gold Box Games. Yes (Just about) all of them

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/24494/Gold_Box_Classics/

The Krynn Series, The eye of the beholder Series, Unlimited Adventures (the first "Build a game for others to play in"), the Forgotten Realms series, The Dark Sun Series, Ravenloft... yeah. Lots of old school gaming here. Now I'll have to get my hands on (somehow) the Spelljammer game, the Buck Rogers one, and War of the Lance (the board/war game Gold Box game)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I still have my copy of Pool of Radiance somewhere, on floppy discs. 

I've got Ruins of Myth Drannor right here, and still occasionally think about seeing if Windows 10 can run it without some serious wizardry. Good stuff.