DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I'm far too lazy to find the sports games thread, but holy shit, MLB The Show 2022 was day 1 on Game Pass. More and more my PS5 is just becoming a machine to just play Horizon and Elden Ring. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm far too lazy to find the sports games thread, but holy shit, MLB The Show 2022 was day 1 on Game Pass. More and more my PS5 is just becoming a machine to just play Horizon and Elden Ring. 

Yeah - I kept telling myself I would finally play the Show last year since 21 was on Game Pass (just left to make room for 22)

Maybe this will be the year (especially if it means Prime Gaming will stop pestering me to accept The Show gifts)

I've been saying it for years, but The Show really is the best sports game ever. They've gotten to a point where there's only so many gameplay improvements they can make and it's pretty much down to improving on the presentation, which is great already. The only other thing they could improve on is some of the logic that goes into Road to the Show mode and the franchise mode. The franchise mode incorporates most aspects of the previous CBA and I think some kind of tutorial would be nice to navigate all of the crap around trades and compensatory picks and things like that. Although if you're already knowledgeable about that stuff, then it's not going to affect you much anyway. 

On 4/1/2022 at 5:21 PM, RIPPA said:

Yeah - seems like for the first time they are ample stock, mostly, everywhere

https://kotaku.com/xbox-series-x-console-restock-today-amazon-walmart-micr-1848737211

I bit the bullet and got the Series X which is coming apparently Saturday.  Game Pass has been an incredible value and we're finding more and more a need to play this on the couch instead of on a computer.  Plus there's some disc-based games we're itching to play on there as well so this was a long time coming.  Now I just need to figure out where the hell to hook this up as I heard it's a huge console.

It is shorter than a PS5 but it is wider

The biggest thing is you really need to make sure it has good airflow and in the Series X case - that means not blocking the top of it.

So don't put it in like the middle of a book shelf.

I bought metal shelf racks (like the ones you would see used in storage of a retail place) for my living room and son's room specifically because of the technology we have and they might be the best things I ever bought because they offer so much flexibility for both wires and air flow

• Thanks 1

Shorter but wider.  Sounds like a friend of mine before she lost tons of weight on the Keto diet.

But seriously I'm looking at the space around the TV and am thinking "Good God, what have I done!"  There's room and air flow won't be an issue.  But at the same time it's going to be interesting setting this up.  I'll have to see about the shelf as that's a helluva idea.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I just got an email from Nightdive Studios saying I have a chance to change my order for System Shock if I want to "upgrade to different add-ons".  What add-ons have there been for 4 years of nothing, guys?  What in the cream cheese fuck??

• Haha 1

Ubisoft announced that they are ceasing development on any new content for Ghost Recon Breakpoint

They claim they will keep maintaining the servers for both Breakpoint and Wildlands 

I am shocked - SHOCKED - the NFT scam they tried blew up in their face

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I bit the bullet and got the Series X which is coming apparently Saturday.  Game Pass has been an incredible value and we're finding more and more a need to play this on the couch instead of on a computer.  Plus there's some disc-based games we're itching to play on there as well so this was a long time coming.  Now I just need to figure out where the hell to hook this up as I heard it's a huge console.

I've got a milestone birthday coming up.  Might have to bite the bullet myself.  If I do, it'll replace my Nvidia Shield for media playing along with games.  And will sit behind my TV on top of a cabinet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It is shorter than a PS5 but it is wider

The biggest thing is you really need to make sure it has good airflow and in the Series X case - that means not blocking the top of it.

So don't put it in like the middle of a book shelf.

I bought metal shelf racks (like the ones you would see used in storage of a retail place) for my living room and son's room specifically because of the technology we have and they might be the best things I ever bought because they offer so much flexibility for both wires and air flow

Last week I accidentally put my Xbox S in the entertainment center upside down (I bring it back and forth to work so it moves a lot). Let me tell you, it does not like that. Shut itself off after about an hour for being overheated, then I realized what I had done and flipped it back over.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ubisoft announced that they are ceasing development on any new content for Ghost Recon Breakpoint

They claim they will keep maintaining the servers for both Breakpoint and Wildlands 

I am shocked - SHOCKED - the NFT scam they tried blew up in their face

Guess this means I need to get the Platinum/100% on Wildlands and the Platinum on Breakpoint sooner rather than later. It's a matter of time before Ubisoft announces a server shutdown for both. The servers are still up now, but once they go down, the Platinums will be unobtainable.

https://www.pcgamer.com/court-documents-may-explain-the-disappearance-of-paranoia-happiness-is-mandatory/

This is a bizarre story.

Game gets announced. Game gets delayed. Game Gets Released. Game Disappears From Stores. Game Disappears from everything.

Turns out, Game is so buggy that rights-holders said "No, we don't want you to release it until it's ready", and Publisher said "Too bad, we just hit publish. What are you going to do about it?", rights-holders "Well, we're going to dress up like the Village and sing about how it's fun to file under the D-M-C-A...."

Publisher (Shocked PIkachu face)

16 months later, they're still fighting about it.

edit: Crazily enough, the publisher has a similar case where they took another game from a developer, cracked it, and released it without the developer's permission.

"Nacon has also been involved in a contractual dispute with developer Frogwares over The Sinking City, with Frogwares using a DMCA takedown to get their own game removed from Steam after claiming that Nacon had uploaded a "cracked and pirated" version of it without permission."

Edited by SirFozzie

TUNIC [4]
If I described what I had seen or what I was preparing to do tomorrow in the path of reaching the True Ending, I would be giving away too much of Tunic's magic. It is an exceedingly clever game, which covers the distance its mechanical action lacks. Strong recommend, don't read about it at all before you start it, good luck.

KIRBY & THE FORGOTTEN LAND [4]
Good god I've been playing a lot of really deeply good games this last month. Kirby is the most relaxing of the three I've beaten/come close to beating in the last month. It's also 3 for 3 on games that at some point dip into completely existentially galling territory. So that's cool! I think little kids might find the home stretch of this game super scary!

So my list of games I intend to see the end of this calendar year now stands like this:

• Tunic (which could happen tomorrow or monday)
  • Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin (which might not happen this year, depends on if they fix the online)
  • Demons of Asteborg (which I might not finish because it kinda blows tbh)
  • Hitman 3 (when I left off I was in Mumbai, intimidated as hell from how huge the map is)
  • L.A. Noire (coinciding with when the action button review starts)
  • ULTRAKILL
  • Yakuza Like A Dragon (I'm at like chapter 3 or 4?)
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 2:31 PM, Liam said:

Anyone checking out the remastered Chrono Cross?

I want to play, but I have heard horror stories about the miserable framerate issues.

FF14 is on 24 hour maintenance, and I've burned myself out a little bit on it lately (I really shouldn't have zerg rushed Endwalker 3 times in 4 weeks), so fired up Steam this weekend and played Titan Quest for the hell of it. Still good, altho a bit buggier than I remember, and the first act is definitely still too long, but that feeling when you get an amazing rare drop and start wrecking shit cannot be beat.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 12:52 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

Sure, why not quote myself on this one?  *yanoshrug*

Setting up the system was pretty easy and not as huge as I expected.  It fits comfortably on the entertainment stand so while I found the shelf that Rippa mentioned it might not be needed after all.

As for the experience so far it's pretty goddamn awesome.  I hope to dive more into MLB The Show 22 as I finally got control settings that work for me (a nice way of saying they're incredibly dumbed down)  And if the Orioles can't bother to win IRL then I may as well get them to the World Series in this.  Also, I got NHL '94 Rewind thinking it was the original game but it appears to have modern teams/players on it.  I didn't know this existed but I fully endorse more games like this.

And since Tunic was mentioned I noticed an immediate benefit to playing downstairs instead of in front of the computer.  I normally don't play these type of games but it's been great playing this with my wife navigating in a sense.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 10:41 PM, J.T. said:

It is when the fucking objects flickers in mid-fight.

Listen, pal, in my day everything fricking flickered in mid-flight. Suck it up! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3