DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

So with some games sitting that I haven't touched because I fall into the rut of playing NBA2K22 I decide to start Final Fantasy 15. It's ok right now (I'm about 2 hours in) but man does the camera get wonky. Also with the Royal Edition you get some very OP weapons to start.

I got the Arcade1up MK2 Midway Legacy deluxe edition on clearance from Best Buy.  The quality is definitely a step up from the wave 1 cabinets I have.  But why did they put Paperboy on there?  It plays like crap with a joystick.  Something like Robotron would have been a much better fit.

On 3/29/2022 at 2:07 PM, RIPPA said:

Speaking of things for Platinums/Trophies

Fast & Furious Crossroads is being removed from digital storefronts at the end of April

Bandai Namco claims the servers will remain active but if that was a game you were eyeballing you might want to do it sooner rather than later

The trophy list is utterly garbage and reminiscent of terrible tacked-on multiplayer games in PS3 days. The voice acting is utterly bad and makes you want to destroy your ears. Do not play this game.

So I did it.

Amazon had a Xbox Series X in stock for same day delivery and I bought it.

I guess I should tear up my PlayStation Platinum Trophy Hunter's Card (although I have a feeling I'm still going to spend more time on my PS3/PS4/PS5 hunting Platinums than on Series X).

Besides Forza Horizon 5 and Starfield and maybe Master Chief Collection, what else could I play on Series X?

I am presupposing you have purchased Game Pass, because the general answer of "what should I do with an xbox" is "game pass." With that in mind, here is A Condensed List of Games On Game Pass I Think Are Excellent in order of Excellentitude.

• Kentucky Route Zero
  • Hollow Knight
  • Gears of War Judgment
  • Titanfall 2
  • The Hitman Trilogy
  • Dragon Quest XI S
  • Yakuza Like A Dragon
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Outer Wilds
  • Children of Morta if you have someone to play local co-op with
  • Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts

if you're looking for system exclusives, those are all in development at the moment lol check back in a year or so

also yes i think gears of war judgment is better than titanfall 2, based on this completely non existent scale called excellentitude i just made up

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - I was gonna say the same thing

The starting point with an XBOX is getting Game Pass

Yup, just subscribed for a $1 for first month. Already spent a couple of hours playing Dead Space (which I got a Platinum on), Mirror's Edge Catalyst (ditto), and Sunset Overdrive (basically it's Lollipop Chainsaw and Dead Rising meet in an open world game).

I already bought a few digital games (Ori & The Blind Forest Definitive Edition, Gears 4) this morning and got a physical copy of Forza Horizon 4 on the way.

The only drawback is none of my region free import 360 games are recognized on it for whatever reason.

3 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

I am presupposing you have purchased Game Pass, because the general answer of "what should I do with an xbox" is "game pass." With that in mind, here is A Condensed List of Games On Game Pass I Think Are Excellent in order of Excellentitude.

• Kentucky Route Zero
  • Hollow Knight
  • Gears of War Judgment
  • Titanfall 2
  • The Hitman Trilogy
  • Dragon Quest XI S
  • Yakuza Like A Dragon
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Outer Wilds
  • Children of Morta if you have someone to play local co-op with
  • Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts

if you're looking for system exclusives, those are all in development at the moment lol check back in a year or so

also yes i think gears of war judgment is better than titanfall 2, based on this completely non existent scale called excellentitude i just made up

Most of those on the list I actually own on PS4 (except for Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts of course).

Whoever designed Titanfall 2's ...Becomes The Master trophy can go die.

I got the Mega Man PS2 collection. I'm gonna play the games on easy mode with more lives. I wish Capcom re-released the Rockman Complete Works stuff from PS1/X, that collection has different content and bonuses.

To follow up on what Andrew said, Walmart and Amazon both have Xbox Series X in stock on their web sites right now for immediate delivery.  

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

To follow up on what Andrew said, Walmart and Amazon both have Xbox Series X in stock on their web sites right now for immediate delivery.  

Yeah - seems like for the first time they are ample stock, mostly, everywhere

https://kotaku.com/xbox-series-x-console-restock-today-amazon-walmart-micr-1848737211

22 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

I got the Mega Man PS2 collection. I'm gonna play the games on easy mode with more lives. I wish Capcom re-released the Rockman Complete Works stuff from PS1/X, that collection has different content and bonuses.

i played through all of these Mega Man games back in December/January. Was going to play the NES cartridges but chose the PS2 collection due to laziness. Hella fun. Except 7. that one can go fuck itself.

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

7 is the one game from the classics that you really want to pay a ROMhack version of, because there is one that fixes alot of the technical issues 7 had (there's similar ones for the later X series games that also had isues).  

One of these days I'll have to do a comparison of the more recent Legacy collection version against the PS2 collection since the Legacy collection has a bit of input lag.

Playstation will be shutting down the Everybody's Golf servers on Sept 30 (you will be still be able to play single player afterwards)

I am like 90% sure that my wife is getting me one of those bootleg Chinese gameboys for my birthday this month and I am almost as giddy about having a new gadget to fuck with as about playing VPW2 at work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Playstation will be shutting down the Everybody's Golf servers on Sept 30 (you will be still be able to play single player afterwards)

The Platinum will be unobtainable once it shuts down. There's a trophy that essentially requires playing through the game and beating all the rivals to be able to do all the entries in the fish encyclopedia and the rivals' appearances are tied to the servers.

ELDEN RING [4]
Beat it. King of 3D video games. Good luck to the future.

FOREST GOLF PLANNER [3]
RAILROAD INC CHALLENGE [3]

Some phone games! The first is the new game from the people what make the good sim games, Kairosoft. One of my favorite games of all time is Sid Meier's SimGolf. This is not as good, but, it's good!

The second is a take on a boardgame I like, only now that it doesn't have physical limitations they do all sorts of weird shit like power ups and daily challenges. Only problem with it is that it swallows battery alive and my phone is pretty old at this point so I can only play one game before my phone warms up too much to be comfortable.

STARTED NORCO
Hell of a first impression! It's a little pulpy and a little silly, but they're definitely trying to write a dark gritty point and click thing and all the style they pack in on the edges can make it work. I got into a staring contest with a stuffed monkey and reacquainted myself with my home town by talking to the robot named Million in my mom's backyard. I will see more of this game.

I have avoided playing MK 11 for a couple years because at this point I'm openly intimidated by fighting games, but my love of MK's general level of ridiculous bullshit won out. Finished the story mode over two streams (main game + DLC). Easily the most fun I've had with the story mode in a fighting game and the battles serve their purpose well of giving you an introduction to basically every character. Can't wait to dig into the real meat.

Game is absolutely incredible, even with WB Interactive and Neatherrealm Studios always shoving some stupid fucking unlockables system literally no one actually likes into their games.

Lego Star Wars is...odd.  I started on episode 1 and played about 90 minutes and I've only seen two actual levels so far, both of which were short and entirely vehicle-based. And the camera angle is really close compared to other games, which I'm pretty sure is an effort to keep too much stuff from being on screen at once because the frame rate is, generally, pretty ass.

Still, it's a lego game: stuff gets smashed, studs come out and it does that very well.  And it's giving me the chance to explain the absolutely nonsensical plot of the prequels to my wife.