DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I mean its a bad idea unless you enjoy Microsoft having to sue PS/Bungie for a lot of money

They could do it - just scramble the logo and censor the voice acting that mentions Master Chief/Covenant/Halo/etc.

It would be terrible, nevermind. Although trophy hunters would be excited to say they Platinum'ed the Halo series.

7 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

EDIT: What's even wilder is Destiny was originally published by Activision. So if Bungie re-releases Destiny 1 for PS5 that's going to be interesting.

Considering the Destiny 1 serves are still alive and kicking AND they are putting D1 content in D2 (weapons and at least one strike so far) - they aren't remaking D1 just to be a PS exclusive

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I can always count on Kotaku and Endgaget to provide me with the salty tears I require for survival.

So, you have to think that the new IP that Bungie announced will probably end up being a PS exclusive and that Sony will also get on the multi-platform marketing tip and drag out a Destiny movie franchise by the mid to late 2020's.  Sony doesn't give a shit about consoles alone.  They've got eyes on a bigger prize.

A tv/streaming series seems like the smarter move with the amount of lore Destiny has. And yeah that has to be part of the plan and why Bungie went with Sony.

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Destiny 3 will have a PS exclusive strike

Just like old times

Its sad, but I seriously never knew some of the strikes, weapons, and armor I had was exclusive until you and JT mentioned finally having access a few years back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its sad, but I seriously never knew some of the strikes, weapons, and armor I had was exclusive until you and JT mentioned finally having access a few years back.

With crossplay now a thing, it would be impossible to give PS players exclusive Destiny content without drawing the immediate ire of XBox and PC players.  Especially since we're talking about Bungo, the king of unbalanced gear.  

Imagine if only PS crossplay customers got the Lorentz Driver this season in Destiny and everyone else got something not quite as good.  Yeah. Mass hysteria in an already infamously toxic community.  Then if you turned crossplay off to avoid the bullshit, your player pool would be 9999999% smaller than the people who have crossplay turned on.

You'd almost have to think that if there were a D3, it would have to go back to platform separation so that Sony could give good shit to its PS customers first.

Edited by J.T.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

My favorite are all the people who think Sony - in the span of two weeks - just decided to buy Bungie as revenge for the Activision purchase

I find it hysterical that two companies would buy two companies with two of most horribly managed franchises in history championed by two of the most toxic communities in history just to get back at each other.  CoD vs. Destiny is a Southpark cripple fight.

The fact that Sony announced the purchase of Bungie on the same day that Paramount+ put out the big Halo television series trailer is kinda petty and awesome.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

In other purchase news:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/31/22911274/wordle-new-york-times-free-word-game-acquisition

The smash online word game Wordle has been bought by The New York Times, which will integrate the daily word puzzle into The New York Times Games suite of word games, creator Josh Wardle announced today.

Wordle will “initially remain free to new and existing players” once it moves over to the Times’ site, and Wardle says that he’s working with The New York Times to preserve players’ existing wins and streak data once the game heads to its new home. That said, The New York Times’ announcement leaves plenty of room for the company to decide to put Wordle behind its paywall in the future.

In his announcement of the sale — for a price that The New York Times’ announcement reports is “an undisclosed price in the low seven figures” — Wardle explains that running the hugely popular game has “been a little overwhelming,” especially considering that he’s the only person who actually handles running the entire game.

Edited by dogwelder

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

People have to be able to buy PS5s to play these upcoming games, right,? 

Nah. Being able to buy new consoles is overrated.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If anyone else has gotten caught up in spending a few minutes on Wordle each morning the last few weeks, the NY Times just bought it for a low 7 figures. 

To expand on that, NYT has hinted that Wordle won't always be free.

My neck is sore from staying up until 4AM playing Atelier Ayesha DX on the Switch. Of all things.

I've avoided the series since the PS2. People (usually women) have been telling me for years "It's actually really good! They're chill! You don't save the world! They're the anti-Final Fantasy!" and yup it's exactly that. Combat isn't too complicated but my sweet lord, hallelujah, the crafting mechanics are deep. I chose to play this one completely blind because I didn't want to get too lost in the sauce, but I got just as lost in figuring it all out and smushin' rocks 'n cow turds 'n magical doodads together to make better equipment. It took me way too long to realize that I am, in fact, happy to be cute anime girl who picks flowers and flirts with travelling merchants and throws pineapples filled with dynamite at robot rabbits. And I'm gonna knock the whole thing out in under two weeks.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

On that Bungie/Sony news: friendly reminder that Microsoft & Sony, while they're swallowing up studios left and right seemingly, they still don't have as many studios as, say, Ubisoft, or EA, or Embracer Group, or Take-Two, or even Tencent.

• Like 1

Hot takes on some games my daughter and I have been playing...

Psychonauts 2? Yeah, fuck that game. I'm right there with Jeff Gerstmann in thinking the controls for this game is fucking GARBAGE. It's bland, repetitive, and the most rote PS1 level action. I think the visual style sucks too. It looks like a Nicktoons thing that would air after Rugrats! Who cares? It doesn't even look like something that would air on tv. It looks like something put together with presentation software like Articulate (for anyone that might be familiar with that). We played it for about an hour and then uninstalled it.

Chicory? Fuck. Yes. I love this game. We're huge fans of Celeste and the music in Chicory is made by the same person who made it for Celeste. There are also moments in Chicory that feel like Celeste. Again, maybe an hour in, but we love this game. It's creative as hell, super charming, and I hope by the end of it you can have an option to export each map to your email as a PDF so you have this coloring book you can keep.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:49 PM, Liam said:

This might be a stupid question, but is there any reason to play either Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ first or to just go straight into grabbing the Repentance DLC?

No reason to play it first at this point. that said, you’ll still have to unlock stuff either way. I guess the argument could be made that Afterbirth+ is “easier,” and will speed up that process, but you might as well be doing Repentance unlocks at the same time. 

6 minutes ago, Shane said:

No reason to play it first at this point. that said, you’ll still have to unlock stuff either way. I guess the argument could be made that Afterbirth+ is “easier,” and will speed up that process, but you might as well be doing Repentance unlocks at the same time. 

Cheers for the response. What makes it easier? I don't really know too much about the DLC and have only just got Afterbirth on the Switch having played the original version on the PS4.

4 hours ago, Liam said:

Cheers for the response. What makes it easier? I don't really know too much about the DLC and have only just got Afterbirth on the Switch having played the original version on the PS4.

Might just be a “me” thing, but the new alternate paths and bosses added to Repentance are much harder than the game I’d spent a few hundred hours with beforehand. More bullet spongey enemies. More bullet hell enemies.

EDIT: I'd also say that part of the reason the game at least feels harder is that runs have gotten longer. Sometimes much longer. So it forces you to laser focus for an extended period, because if you slip up, one room can undo everything. That's always been the case, but I run into it a lot more since Repentance.

There’s also been such a huge expansion in the item pool since earlier add ons that it’s become harder to “break the game” with some item synergies, just because you don’t see them as often. 

Still having a blast with Repentance and think it’s an amazing addition. It’s just made me feel less good at actually playing it! Hasn’t stopped from putting another 100+ hours into it (so far). It’s a game I’ve literally played daily for almost 2 years now. 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:48 AM, supremebve said:

[Guardians of the Galaxy is] really good.  It has been on sale multiple times already, so you should be able to get it at a lower price.  For me it was a nice break from all the too big, too long, too much boring side quest, AAA games that have come out in the last few years.  It is a mostly linear shooter that is fun throughout, progresses right until the end, and is full of good character moments.  There is no tedium, it's just go from place to place, fight some enemies, talk to your team, and move on to the next area.  It is challenging, but not frustrating, and the game ends right when you feel like you have mastered the battle system.  

To offer a dissenting opinion, I found GotG's combat extremely frustrating and no fun. Changing to easy mode helped for a while, but I still wound up throwing in the towel at what I suspect was the halfway point. Which is a shame, because the dialogue and story were really good, and I'd have liked to finish the thing.

Oh, and there was one quicktime event on the way to Lady Hellbender's where the onscreen prompt gave me no fucking clue what I was supposed to do with the controls. And every time I died, I had to rewatch an uninteresting cut scene from before the event. That was bullshit. I almost threw it in there, but got past it after about a half dozen attempts.

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Oh, and there was one quicktime event on the way to Lady Hellbender's where the onscreen prompt gave me no fucking clue what I was supposed to do with the controls. And every time I died, I had to rewatch an uninteresting cut scene from before the event. That was bullshit. I almost threw it in there, but got past it after about a half dozen attempts.

I got the fake bad ending in the early latter third of the game and it glitched on me so I couldn't move away from the object you're looking at before it begins.

I tried to load back in, and then experienced the bad ending, and then I think the game prompted me to retry. 

It's an interesting thing to experience. I wonder how many people did experience it because I thought it was a cutscene and not something that required a button prompt. 

So I'm reading the latest Star Citizen drama on Reddit, and then I also read that this thing has been in development for, like, a decade, and it's raised almost half of a TRILLION dollars. And it's still not officially released.

Fucking insane.

Continuing the old-person gaming discussion, I finally took the plunge and bought Mario Maker 2 for the Switch. Mario 1  - Super Mario World was like 95% of my video game playing as a child so I don't know why I held off as long as I did. 

This is my first foray into player generated content and man,  it's insane. Who knew you could shell jump in Mario?

Not sure I'm playing it the best way but I tend to play it like I would a rogue-like. I mainly play Endless Expert challenge, which usually takes around 20 - 30 minutes before I run out of lives so is great for short plays. Of course, like all great rogue-likes, I usually end up doing multiple playthroughs and spend 2 - 3 hours playing then kick myself after the fact for getting sucked in. 

I don't even think Star Citizen, out of context of the ridiculous fundraising history, is bad. But goddamn it's just impossible to justify some of their fucked up business practices over the years. It's also still nowhere near a truly finished game, there is zero chance it is ever complete at this point.

Anyway, a buddy has been bugging me for years that I never played Dead Space so I started that tonight, taking what time there is before Elden Ring and using it wisely. What a great fucking game. It's basically what I wanted Alien Isolation to be where there's a lot more action and crazy man vs man-eating aliens combat, and a lot less hiding because you have 3 bullets and the bullets do nothing anyway. Definitely going to finish the first game, though I hear things got worse as the series goes along. The controls took some coming to grips with, but I settled in before my first session was out. Did the first 3 chapters tonight and will see it through.

GAMING UPDATE!!

DRAGON QUEST XI S - GOD THE BOSSFIGHTS IN THESE GAMES SOMETIMES
I am currently at Octagonia in the second act of the game, and have failed to beat the bosses of this area three times, the third after spending multiple hours grinding. It wouldn't be so bad if they gave me a chance to heal at all between the boss fights. It's just an incredibly difficult pair of encounters and it's slowly draining my will to see this through before Elden Ring hits.

STARTED UP DEMONS OF ASTEBORG AGAIN
I'm at a point where, now that pixel art has stopped attempting subversion and is just nostalgia, anything going for "JUST LIKE THE OLD DAY" rings like absolute bullshit to me. The reason this gets a pass with me is because it was designed to actually run on Genesis hardware, and that kind of commitment to invocation is more respectable than "we look like earthbound cuz you'll pay us." The game itself is fine.

REPLAYING DISCO ELYSIUM ANYWAYS
Started watching a friend play it and was like "This counts for my playthrough!" then two days passed where they didn't and hey look I'm on day 2. This is still the best Actual RPG.

I TRIED THREE INDIE GAMES AND DROPPED TWO AND THEN FINISHED ONE
Game Pass is great. The first game I tried was Death's Door, which I refunded last year because I knew it was going to be a Game Pass game, deep in my bones. I fought two bosses and then decided I didn't like it much for free either. The second game I tried was Unsighted, which has been discussed as "Like Hyper Light Drifter. It's a bit like telling someone to watch Palm Springs because it's "Like The Lighthouse." Fell off this at the first lore dump text log. Well maybe the game I finished was good? Let's see!

UNPACKING [1]
I don't know how to explain why I hate this without either oversharing my mental illness or breaking the politics rule, so I will leave it at "I don't care about rich people."

BEAT GEARS OF WAR 4 [3]
Current Gears of War rankings

1. Judgment. Best encounters, best shooting, tightest controls, best pace of storytelling, least amount of weird attempts at poignancy. Genuinely might be the best 360 game.
  2. Gears of War 2. Horde Mode would win if it was a separate entry. The campaign is fine, weighed down by the late 2000s obsession with "Can a game make you cry?!". Deeply improved gunplay puts it over...
  3. Gears of War 1. While 2 gets the edge for the massive wall of quality of life improvements (You can't run and reload in this! That is wild!), the encounter design is still absolutely razor sharp, and the attempt at poignancy is not some heart strings shit but a cold, icy threat. Your cool commander gets extremely fucking executed and then the killer looks at you before you run for your lives, and that's how you meet the final boss. Great, heavy, propulsive.
  4. Gears of War 4. What's good about this mainly exists to talk about what's bad about Gears of War 3. So let me do some positives and then I will dump. What this game does mechanically in the gap between 3 and 4 is put a lot of attention to moving in cover. This is a great starting point for a studio looking to get their hands on a franchise and make it Their Own. After pretty awful first & second acts, the pace of the game hits its sweet spot in the middle as you start dealing with The Actual Enemy instead of boring fascist robots asking you to please obey while they shoot you. Why are we still doing that. Anyways, once the game advances into dealing with freaks instead of robots, that emphasis on movement shines and turns this game into an excellent horror action game in the same vein as like the recent Resident Evil games. It's not going to actively disturb anyone, and it has nothing to say outside of Parent Power Fantasy stuff, but it's an extremely fun, gross Uncharted with bodysnatchers and hell weather. Pleasant surprise. This being second from the bottom is because it has to be here, as there's a WIDE quality gulf between this and...
  5. Gears of War 3, which is actively bad. Where Gears 4 is made by people who love Uncharted 2, Gears 3 is a game made by active competitors who were scared shitless by it. It leaks confidence everywhere, from UI design to "humanization," and this culminates in the encounters and the truly mentally tapped attempts to make those encounters more varied. Gears 4 is excellent as a game where you shoot fucked up monsters who don't have to take cover. Gears 3 croaks every time it moves away from Locust encounters and towards floating monsters and shit with weird tentacles that makes cover not count, or the attempts to make big monster fights happen. It is a drag, and I would have done exactly what Epic did with the franchise if we got put under pressure and stayed coal. Oh, hey, fun fact, coal actually has nothing to do with the creation of diamonds. Went to look up how that actually works, and it doesn't.

On to Gears 5, the 6th Gears of War game!