DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

On 1/25/2022 at 5:59 AM, RIPPA said:

That is my understanding too.

The reason I saw is because of music licensing and that the music was originally only licensed for the platform it was designed for and I guess Rock Band 4 was the only game designed with future consoles in mind. (not to mention the whole instrument thing)

Well, from what I saw on eBay, I could sell RB 3, the drums, guitar, and mic for around $300. I suppose I could then just use the money from that and buy RB 4, the drums, and guitar for about $100 more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Well, from what I saw on eBay, I could sell RB 3, the drums, guitar, and mic for around $300. I suppose I could then just use the money from that and buy RB 4, the drums, and guitar for about $100 more.

Sort of (not really) related. I was looking up what I would need to run that NCAA Football 14 College Football Revamped mod, and I really just need to build myself a PC at some point but i'm a mess and have a few other buckets to check first.

I still have my copy of NCAA College Football 14. I'm really hoping that series does come back because I always thought it was leaps and bounds better than Madden. 

I'm willing to bet that 8 year old game is probably better than the most recent Madden.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I still have my copy of NCAA College Football 14. I'm really hoping that series does come back because I always thought it was leaps and bounds better than Madden. 

I'm willing to bet that 8 year old game is probably better than the most recent Madden.

You can find people streaming or posting content from the Mod. It looks pretty good for a going on 9 year old game.

Also, I keep my 360 in a spare room and play it. I have NCAA Football 14 digitally because I sold my physical copy when the digital one was on sale for like under $10 and that adds another wrinkle to the Xbox mod stuff. It seems easier with a PC and some PS3 Chicanery. 

Edited by Chaos

Gonna blow my own horn a little: I finished Sekiro today. I've been experimenting with streaming despite having real janky internet, so if you want to watch my kill on Sword Saint you can skip to 1 hour 10 minutes into this: 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1276899815

Just an incredible video game, legitimately one of the best things I've ever played. A deep, satisfying, rewarding, challenging, well crafted experience. And absolutely one of my favourite first playthgoughs of all-time. 10/10 Hesitation is Defeat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Gonna blow my own horn a little: I finished Sekiro today. I've been experimenting with streaming despite having real janky internet, so if you want to watch my kill on Sword Saint you can skip to 1 hour 10 minutes into this: 

Just an incredible video game, legitimately one of the best things I've ever played. A deep, satisfying, rewarding, challenging, well crafted experience. And absolutely one of my favourite first playthgoughs of all-time. 10/10 Hesitation is Defeat

I don't usually use twitch, but my account is still active so I followed you and will check out the video later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Playing Sekiro was a huge blow to my ego. I thought maybe I was “good” after beating all the SoulsBorne games without any instances of rage quitting or feelings of futility, but then I got to that god damned game. Part of my problems came from playing it like a Souls game and trying to dodge everything with some circle strafing mixed in, and while eventually I learned to face things head on with parries, any time I won an important battle it felt like I got lucky, as opposed to making skilled adjustments. Souls habits die hard I suppose. But having to balance dodge, parry, jump, or mikiri counter based on a short tell was just too much for my aging reaction times. I still want to give it another try, if a skilled player could really walk through with me what I’m doing wrong I might be able to understand things better, but overall it was a humbling experience that left me feeling hopeless, even if I was able to beat the first boss on my first try. I salute you.

• Like 1

I somehow was able to figure out if I had purchased or bought Uncharted 4 (I must have deleted the purchase from my gmail account (whether plus or otherwise), but if you go into the web store and choose game library, you have to do an exhausting search through your history of all library games and it seems like all + purchases have a + icon by it. My copy of 4 did not. So, that's an easy $10 snag tomorrow. 

13 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I'm 40 and I simply refuse to go quietly into that long good night (unless it's a competitive FPS game in which case, fuck off, it's over).

When I played Destiny 2, Rippa & I made a career out of being old men kicking the shit out of kids in PvP.  

We will surrender our guns when we're dead, dammit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Decided that it really was never going to  be any cheaper (watch it be cheaper in a month or two) and grabbed Star Wars: Fallen Order for when I need to play a Star Wars game but can't update the mmo anymore because I don't sub.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Apex Legends made me so angry I had to stop playing for my own wellbeing.

The culture surrounding most battle arena games is amazingly toxic, but I cannot criticize because I also enjoyed tilting players and getting them to rage.  Angry players make lots and lots mistakes. 

If I hadn't gotten at least one "drink bleach and die" IM over XBox Live after a night of Crucible matches, I felt I hadn't done my job well enough.

31 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The culture surrounding most battle arena games is amazingly toxic, but I cannot criticize because I also enjoyed tilting players and getting them to rage.  Angry players make lots and lots mistakes. 

If I hadn't gotten at least one "drink bleach and die" IM over XBox Live after a night of Crucible matches, I felt I hadn't done my job well enough.

I mean, most of the toxicity is from your own team mates using mic's to be giant cunts, which... yeah. I didn't enjoy that. Sorry I'm not Shroud or whatever guys.

6 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I mean, most of the toxicity is from your own team mates using mic's to be giant cunts, which... yeah. I didn't enjoy that. Sorry I'm not Shroud or whatever guys.

Okay that is dumb.  When it comes to PvP, mics are for callouts only.  If you're not telling me where to shoot or which chokepoint to avoid, stay off of the fucking channel.

Edited by J.T.

I honestly think about 90% of players that use mic in game don't actually understand how to use it to do something productive, which is a shame. I don't wear gaming headsets because I only have one good ear so headphones tend to actually make my play worse, but even I understand that if all you're using a mic for is to shout "play better" you're not using it right.

• Like 2

Even though its disappointing that Game Freak/Nintendo continue to be so cheap when it comes to Pokemon games, even with the shitty graphics I still think I am going to get it next week. The gameplay sounds really fun, but I'll probably only play it at work while in handheld mode. I prefer to play AAA titles docked to get the full graphic experience but sounds like with the new Pokemon that uh won't be necessary.

• Like 1

Yeah, my wife is more into dealing with Pokemon than how the land around it is.  I think the game looks like shit but I won't be the one playing it so good for her I guess.  It is baffling though that the previous games looked pretty darn okay yet I bet their excuse is due to it being open worldish.

Finally decided to finish Tales from the Borderlands instead continuing to milk it for achievements to satisfy Weekly Challenges from Microsoft Rewards.

Nearly threw my controller at the television set when I thought that Sasha had died.  Rhys, you dumbass.  You shoulda kissed her.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Finally decided to finish Tales from the Borderlands instead continuing to milk it for achievements to satisfy Weekly Challenges from Microsoft Rewards.

Nearly threw my controller at the television set when I thought that Sasha had died.  Rhys you dumbass.  You shoulda kissed her.

All the episode openings still hold up, especially episode 4 and 5. I really wish there was a Season Two coming but I'm not sure where they could go.

Also,

Spoiler

Supposedly Rhys and Vaughn are in Borderlands 3

23 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

All the episode openings still hold up, especially episode 4 and 5. I really wish there was a Season Two coming but I'm not sure where they could go.

Also,

Reveal hidden contents

Supposedly Rhys and Vaughn are in Borderlands 3

Spoiler

Yep, they're in B3.  Rhys has a picture of Sasha on his desk in his office.

Edited by J.T.

I've been historically bad at completing games, so decided to implement a 'can only buy a game if completed a game' rule for 2022.

January sees me completing four games:

- Ori and the Blind Forest

- What the Golf?

- Unpacking

- Ys IX: Monstrum Nox

Naturally, I had begun some of these in 2021. Anyway, it at least means I've completed the most games in one year, let alone one month, for a while. Maybe an exaggeration, but also entirely possible...

• Like 2

Picked up the Anniversary Edition of Skyrim.  Looks gorgeous on the XBox S/X but the wonky physics you love are still there.  I love how you enter Hadvar's uncle's house after you escape from Helgar and the blacksmith's plate of food just starts breakdancing and flips off of the table.

Who the fuck thought that Survival Mode in Skyrim was a good idea?  If I wanted hunger checks in the game that forced me to carry food and drink, I'd go travel back in time to 2001 and play EverQuest.  And no Fast Travel?  Fuck that.  The wildlife in the game are more murderous than the humanoid enemies.  Fucking sabretooth tigers, I swear.

I tried to play Ryse, Son of Rome but it's less of a fighting game and more of a rhythmic button pushing game.  Did not like the combat but the violent flash time animations for executions were kinda cool..  Playing in the Ancient Roman setting just made me wish for a modern reboot of Lucasfilm's Gladius.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

The Sifu preview had me intrigued so I picked up Absolover since it's on sale. Dig the combat even if it's a bit simple but the lack of map is annoying. It's a short game so I'll probably finish it up in a few days.

Also picked up Battle Axe and there is no reason why a retro style game should have frame rate skips at this point. Especially if the skips happen when the game is dropping a large amount of enemies on the screen and it causes you to take damage.