DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I played a ton of Hades over my time off the last few weeks and then cut it off cold turkey (after my second time out, first time with heat) as it just wasn't sustainable when I'm not off work and with kids having less time now that they're back in school. I liked it but once runs started to be 30-40 mins long it became less sustainable. Plus I hit a point where the mirror was mostly maxed where I felt like my progression was going to hit walls. 

There is a reason I eventually turned on God Mode - it eventually knocked the runs down basically 20 minutes every time and allowed me to keep progressing the story each time (as much as RNG would allow)

That being said - I stopped cold turkey too as I haven't played since before Christmas (of course, being away from my XBOX for a week contributed to that too)

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 9:23 PM, Casey said:

AC Valhalla is fucking gorgeous, even on a “weaker” console like the Series S. Wow and damn. Between this, Mafia 3 and Disco Elysium, there’s all four of my days off sunk into various games.

Sidenote: Mafia 3 looks… weird(?) on my Series S. Blurs when a character moves and whatnot.

Oh and I also bought a fun little retro throwback hack ‘n slash side scroller game called Infinite: Beyond the Mind. I really like it, it’s simple but also challenging for the “boss fights”. It wouldn’t be out of place on the SNES or Genesis. And it’s only like $2 after taxes right now (normally $10).

I'm really enjoying AC Valhalla. I've found it easy to get lost in the world and play for hours without realizing it. Tons of stuff to do and I don't feel like you get penalized if you don't want to do every little thing. I've put in about 30 hours and I don't even think I'm halfway done with the story yet.

The one draw back is that you can turn yourself into an unkillable tank pretty early and fairly easily (Dive of the Valkyries FTW). If you stick to the areas that don't exceed the recommended power levels by too much, you don't have much of a chance of dying unless you're not good at the combat mechanics. I stomped a 160 power level Zealot when my power was at like 110. I don't even bother trying to stealth large bases or anything anymore unless I want a challenge. You can pretty much just charge in and overwhelm large groups after a certain point and there's not really any penalty for getting detected. I don't mind being over powered but I know that's a turnoff for some people in games.

In terms of game play, this is my first AC game so I can't speak to AC Odyssey but Valhalla plays a lot like the Shadow of Mordor/War games IMO.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1

Another thing I like about AC Valhalla is that you can go through the entire game with the armor/weapons you get early in the game. You need to upgrade them but if you get attached to certain pieces of gear, you can keep using them for the entire game. For instance, I like the Raven Clan armor and even though I get other armor sets, I don't see a reason to change the RC armor.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got my 242nd Platinum trophy with Infamous: Second Son on PS4. Rather easy Platinum although the final boss on Expert difficulty was some bullshit.

I just couldn't get into that one. I platinumed the first two and loved them but not Second Son. Didn't like the changes they made. 

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

I just couldn't get into that one. I platinumed the first two and loved them but not Second Son. Didn't like the changes they made. 

Yeah, after doing the Platinums for Infamous 1 & 2, I was shocked at how easy it was to get the collectibles and get the blast shards. It sorta felt like it was an incomplete game or half a game.

• Like 1

Mad Max is kinda fun.  It has the mechanic from Saints Row where defeating enemy enclaves "liberates" territory while also stuffing the game with as Gears of War style collectables as possible.  Some of the items are cosmetic, while others contribute to upgrade ally strongholds and (most importantly) your car.

I like how unconventional heath recovery is.  You carry a canteen of water that you can use as a "healing" potion of sorts or you can also consume food... dog food, that is... and maggots... If you prefer your meat fresh, there are also opportunities to kill small lizards or rodents.

Yeah, the living will envy the dead.

It's also cool how even though you have a shotgun, your firearm should be used sparingly.  Most combat is melee based although there are also impromptu weapons and Max also has a rage gage (FURY) where your melee damage scales up as you chain melee attacks together.  Your chains can be broken if you don't counter at the right time (don't worry, you'll know when the time is right to block).

I'll probably stick with this game for a bit and maybe transition to Witcher 3 once things get too repetitious.  Right now, the completionist in me is winning. 

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I downloaded Jedi Fallen Order this afternoon since I played as much as Avengers as I am going to.

Guess this will be my last pre-Witch Queen game

I really enjoyed it, probably my favorite Star Wars game I’ve ever played. It felt like baby’s first Dark Souls, in a good way. Jedi Master difficulty I found to be the perfect challenge. The world design was really cool, but the maps are a little hard to comprehend, and no warping made me get lost a bit. I don’t know if I liked or didn’t like having to backtrack through an entire level after beating the main boss, and I wish exploration was more rewarding than just acquiring new skins, but it’s definitely a worthwhile play. 

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Mad Max is kinda fun.  It has the mechanic from Saints Row where defeating enemy enclaves "liberates" territory while also stuffing the game with as Gears of War style collectables as possible.  Some of the items are cosmetic, while others contribute to upgrade ally strongholds and (most importantly) your car.

I like how unconventional heath recovery is.  You carry a canteen of water that you can use as a "healing" potion of sorts or you can also consume food... dog food, that is... and maggots... If you prefer your meat fresh, there are also opportunities to kill small lizards or rodents.

Yeah, the living will envy the dead.

It's also cool how even though you have a shotgun, your firearm should be used.  Most combat is melee based although there are also impromptu weapons and Max also has a rage gage (FURY) where your melee damage scales up as you chain melee attacks together.  Your chains can be broken if you don't counter at the right time (don't worry, you'll know when the time is right to block).

I'll probably stick with this game for a bit and maybe transition to Witcher 3 once things get too repetitious.  Right now, the completionist in me is winning. 

Unfortunately, Warner Bros shut down the servers (!) for Mad Max on 10/31/2020. I know for trophy hunters this affected them and affected "Up To The Task" trophy due to the Scrap Crews needing access to the servers for it to be completed. Not sure if the same held true for the achievement (likely it did).

I'm really pissed they did that too. I Platinum'ed Mad Max and I rushed through it for two weeks, so I really didn't feel like I enjoyed it due to the shutdown hanging over my head. Although I really loved the world design and the combat, but it does get repetitive (especially going around to all the scavenging locations).

Honestly, it's probably Avalanche Studios' best game. They're known for Just Cause but those games on PS4/Xbox One generation are just broken.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 12:56 AM, Andrew POE! said:

Unfortunately, Warner Bros shut down the servers (!) for Mad Max on 10/31/2020. I know for trophy hunters this affected them and affected "Up To The Task" trophy due to the Scrap Crews needing access to the servers for it to be completed. Not sure if the same held true for the achievement (likely it did).

I'm really pissed they did that too. I Platinum'ed Mad Max and I rushed through it for two weeks, so I really didn't feel like I enjoyed it due to the shutdown hanging over my head. Although I really loved the world design and the combat, but it does get repetitive (especially going around to all the scavenging locations).

Honestly, it's probably Avalanche Studios' best game. They're known for Just Cause but those games on PS4/Xbox One generation are just broken.

It's hard to tell who is friend or foe in this game.  I have harpooned and roadburned so many wandering wastelanders thinking they were enemies.  I think I even friendliy fired one of the scouts who was supposed to give me intel on an enemy camp.

I've nearly finished lowering the threat level in Jeet's territory to zero.  I am kinda tired of my hunchbacked mechanic raving on and on about the game objective.  We'll move on to the next area when I am damn good and ready.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

Take-Two is buying Zynga for $12.7 Billion

It would dwarf Microsoft buying Bethesda as largest video game deal

Now it isn't final yet as Zynga has 45 days to accept a better offer (though I am not sure where that better offer would come from)

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

It's hard to tell who is friend or foe in this game.  I have harpooned and roadburned so many wandering wastelanders thinking they were enemies.  I think I even friendliy fired one of the scouts who was supposed to give me intel on an enemy camp.

I've nearly finished lowering the threat level in Jeet's territory to zero.  I am kinda tired of my hunchbacked mechanic raving on and on about the game objective.  We'll move on to the next area when I am damn good and ready.

I liked the game, but both Max and his car get way overpowered about halfway through the game, which makes the story missions too easy.

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Take-Two is buying Zynga for $12.7 Billion

It would dwarf Microsoft buying Bethesda as largest video game deal

Now it isn't final yet as Zynga has 45 days to accept a better offer (though I am not sure where that better offer would come from)

Oh my gods. So now we get Take Two's version of Farmville?

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

I managed to keep the intel people alive (probably because I was religiously checking the map everywhere I went).

YES to getting tired of the mechanic. I was ready to kill him at the start of the game and basically ignored him too while I was OCD collecting in an area, making sure a scavenging location was cleared before I save, saving, uploading the save to PS+ due to the notorious glitches that would occur that I was warned about.

It's a wonder I completed the game.

• Like 1

I did indeed start Jedi Fallen Order

After so many games with teeny tiny subtitles - I am totally not used to a game with big honking subtitles that my old man eyes can easily read

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Got my 243rd Platinum trophy with Sniper Ghost Warrior on PS3. I did the online trophies years ago, but the entire campaign was tough due to the fact that if you have red/green colorblindness, you literally can't see ANY enemies in the game. How I got the Platinum I don't know. The last trophy took several attempts.

Oh and at least four of the trophies are glitched. I managed to avoid glitches for three of them but not one of them (shoot 10 eagles).

• Like 2

Finished my second run through FF XIV's Endwalker expansion. I will probably write up a Tumblr post at some point, but the tl;dr version is that it's very good but not as great as the previous expansion, tries too hard a couple times,  and leaves you with good feelings and lots of great hooks for future content.

• Like 3

I really, really, really wish FF14 were free to play. For the brief time I played it, I really enjoyed it, but I can't justify having ANOTHER subscription to something and I probably need to cut back on at least 3 or 4 other subscription services I already have.

And I think this is what disappoints me so much about New World. For starters, the prospect of having an MMO with real time battle and not the usual give a command, watch it happen, hotkey a spell, give a command, watch it happen, etc. was really exciting. As cool was only having to pay for the full game once and then paying for whatever expansions they released afterward. Sadly, that game turned out to be maybe one of the biggest dumpster fire MMOs ever. Watch this if you want a good laugh:

It's just incredible at how busted this game is. I've never seen anything quite like the issues this game has, in particular, putting so much stuff on the client side instead of server side and not having a public test server until months after launch.

It makes me wonder if there is a way for FF14 to pull off going free to play or maybe doing some kind of tiered subscription system or doing something similar to what Elder Scrolls does. I have a bunch of friends too that would want to play it, but they're all squeamish about getting back into an MMO with a subscription service.