DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

A new year brings new booking opportunities and new fixtures to AEW TV. If I were to bet on any kind of stock, it would be Bowens. I think you could strap a rocket to his back with a proper angle where Caster turns on him. Caster may have the better mic skills, but Bowens I think will go future with lesser mic skills and more in ring ability.

Or they could both turn face, and have Jurassic Express along with Christian turn into a heel trio.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They can be world title contenders, with promo time. This is how people in this company get over. When you aren’t giving them time they end up disappearing fast. 

I give you Hobbs. He would be great challenger for Wangman. Keith Lee should get the rocket strapped to him when he gets there.

8 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Hm, but the world title scene ist too full already. I only see the TNT title as a realistic way to get them championships.

Or finally a trios title. 

I just feel if you are going to dedicate so much TV time to Jungle Boy and Sammy Guevara then Hobbs and Starks shouldn't be far behind. 

Not that the other two don't have potential too but Hobbs and Starks have undeniable potential as well, it's so weird that they don't have a more prominent role considering some of the talent that do.

And sorry but.. nobody really cares about Cole's buddies.  Let Fish and O'Reilly go be a team or something fine, we don't need TENSION between off shoots of The Elite eating up several minutes weekly..

Don't really need all the Nightmare Family stuff either. QT Marshall, he's best used as a producer. Stay behind the camera.

9 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

I give you Hobbs. He would be great challenger for Wangman

Yeah, why isn’t Hobbs showing, and injuring Page’s back with a rack, then stealing the belt like he owns it? Better yet Hobbs should go solo, and start dressing like Michael Clark Duncan’s Kingpin, and announcing himself as the capo of AEW with his own group. 

• Like 2

I’m not sure if “Structure” specifically means writers. She could feel that it is a disorganized workplace. Behind the scenes clarity. I’ve worked in small businesses that were not organized well and we’d frustratingly run into the same issues. She also mentioned Kenny Omega and others being stretched thin. Maybe having specific managers (or producers, whatever the term may be in wrestling) that help represent specific divisions and talents that are not already wrestlers or involved in many other avenues f the business. They may have that already, but just speculating on the concept of what she meant by structure, beyond writers. 

10 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I’m not sure if “Structure” specifically means writers. She could feel that it is a disorganized workplace. Behind the scenes clarity. I’ve worked in small businesses that were not organized well and we’d frustratingly run into the same issues. She also mentioned Kenny Omega and others being stretched thin. Maybe having specific managers (or producers, whatever the term may be in wrestling) that help represent specific divisions and talents that are not already wrestlers or involved in many other avenues f the business. They may have that already, but just speculating on the concept of what she meant by structure, beyond writers. 

She basically says that if they had more creative, shy talent wouldn’t have to try to come up with their own ideas to get noticed. And the only ones that have issues like that, are the ones people in charge want to do something with in the first place.

Like probably the shy ones who aren’t the creative types, but do have booking behind them are Jungle Boy, and Dante. Those guys got over on performance more than anything. Though more Dante, than Jungle Boy. JB had the famous dad thing. Dante didn’t have that. He just dazzled for his push. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

That was the weirdest thing Swole said, to me. Wrestling is first and foremost a business of self-promotion. A wrestler who cannot come up with creative ideas to promote themselves should not expect to be very successful. That’s not an AEW problem, that’s a you problem.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

She basically says that if they had more creative, shy talent wouldn’t have to try to come up with their own ideas to get noticed. And the only ones that have issues like that, are the ones people in charge want to do something with in the first place.

Like probably the shy ones who aren’t the creative types, but do have booking behind them are Jungle Boy, and Dante. Those guys got over on performance more than anything.

Changed days when wrestlers are saying they need more creative!

Maybe I’ve listened to the old guard complaining about too much creative for too long!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

She basically says that if they had more creative, shy talent wouldn’t have to try to come up with their own ideas to get noticed. 

Yep, very fair and I might be overthinking. Tired brain. I should preface what I said as “in addition to” instead of phrasing it as entirely, if I came off that way. Specially Kenny and others being spread so thin. But yes, it is writer based of what she means, primarily. 

Edited by Octopus

The thing about AEW is, the World Titles aren't defended that often. There isn't a 30 day rule. Like Kenny had the belt for 11 months and defended it, what, five times? Hangman has had it two months and defended it once. Nyla had the Women's belt for 3 months and lost it in her second defence. Shida had it for over a year and lost in her 6th defence.

The "Black Wrestlers aren't getting title shots" talking pint is because almost nobody gets title shots. They're rare. You can be the number one contender for weeks at a time, and not get a title match.

• Like 4

I get it, TK likes to space things out, but he still should look to put their diverse talent into those roles to have a chance to get those spaced out spots.

Dante got it this past month. But he should’ve gotten a follow-up with Team Taz sooner.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

5 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

That being said, it's not the first time Khan acts like a juvenile when confronted with criticism. He is not reacting like a guy in his position should. I have a few things on my mind as to why that is so, but it is all speculation since I don't know the guy... 

Yeah, he also went off after Ella Jay asked him a simple question about a possible all-women's event. He really needs to restrain himself a little more.

• Like 2

To me the lack of structure she's talking about is apparent and it's as much a problem for Tony as it is for the talent. It's the reason there's so many back-to-back segments that look virtually identical and why people seem to disappear from TV only to suddenly reappear with little fanfare.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember just a few days before Swole's release there was a situation where an old tweet from one of Billy Gunns Kids resurfaced using the N word. She seemed very vocal about it at the time and Gunn seemed very apologetic about as he was probably a teen when he made the tweet. She seemed to not be so happy about how easily it was brushed to the side. I had no idea of her contract situation then and remember thinking that situation factored into her leaving 

28 minutes ago, Hector said:

To me the lack of structure she's talking about is apparent and it's as much a problem for Tony as it is for the talent. It's the reason there's so many back-to-back segments that look virtually identical and why people seem to disappear from TV only to suddenly reappear with little fanfare.

I’ve always been under the impression that people that disappear from TV is mostly due to them trying to keep acts fresh.

You want to know where the lack of Structure concept really shows. Something like the Best Friends joining Chaos, and not going somewhere with that sooner. Or the Pinnacle happening, and MJF being disassociated from them for the majority of the Jericho feud. Otherwise I do enjoy the randomness of the upper to undercard.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

8 minutes ago, just drew said:

Feel free to explain how.

First, you're diagnosing Tony as on the spectrum. You have no clue about that. Even if he is, that doesn't excuse his social media boo-hoo (which he does often BTW), because he knew he find like-minded fans who would validate him. Tony Khan is 39 years old with endless financial resources. He has a multitude of options to have approached this like a professional AND functioning adult. He chose otherwise. The pacifying of grown men to justify bad behavior is disgusting. I don't care that he used to post around here and some of you think he's cool. He's being a jerk in this situation.

Second, you're trying to rationalize this with your White male eyes. Which happens a lot on wrestling. And you did mention that, so points for self-awareness. But I wonder if one day, you and others will ever listen to a Black woman's perspective on such topics. To this point--and I've been here for years--the answer has been no. 

But I'll give part of my take here, all the same:

Swole gave her opinions and feelings on certain things in AEW. There are valid, regardless of whether you think she's a bad wrestler. At no point did she personally attack Tony. She came closer to insulting Brandi on the 'no Black voices in upper management' bit. But after seeing some of her promos, I can't imagine Swole and Brandi seeing eye-to-eye on much.

The idea that some are suggesting--that Swole shouldn't have aired her troubles publicly--is a laugh considering how many salivate at Talk is Jericho or Renee Paquette 'wrestler tells all' shows and shoot interviews in previous years. Just because you don't agree or think she stinks at her job doesn't make her feelings lesser than or means she should be quiet to play nice. But you seem to be leaning that way because you're not giving her POV value.

In essence, what Swole said is 1) AEW needs to improve in overall respresentation and giving women the same chances as men, 2) There needs to be more structure from a creative standpoint to help younger wrestlers or those new to TV who may need more help with the process, 3) The time AEW has for its shows needs to be better arranged to give wrestlers meaningful matches, and 4) AEW is a solid promotion and wishing them well. You would think she spit on someone's grave by some of the reactions. And as a Black woman who's watched and talked about wrestling for a while, I've seen those same statements from others. She's not alone in thinking this way. But I can't help but ask if her being a Black woman with the audacity to speak her peace out loud is the issue here.

Again, I point to you saying she's bad at her job. So what? What does that have to do with what she's speaking about? She didn't even frame the conversation around herself. She was talking about AEW's environment as a whole. But you--and many more--have used the moment to belittle what you think is her lack of wrestling abilities and ignore her concerns. You decided that what she said has no value because you don't like how she does a headlock or cuts a promo. You, along with Tony, make it personal instead of tackling the real issues she mentioned.

And why is that? Because you don't know how? Or you simply don't want to know? 

Until you and others can put down your bias and tendency to downplay others whose voice doesn't amplify yours, we'll keep having conversations like this where we point fingers and nothing worth holding is accomplished. And we'll accuse each other of things that aren't true and we'll get mad but then make up and play nice until the cycle begins again. Frankly, the bicycle is on flats and I'm tired of pedaling for those who say they listen and care and appreciate my take but show otherwise. That's not against you directly, just me saying my peace out loud.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The "Black Wrestlers aren't getting title shots" talking pint is because almost nobody gets title shots. They're rare. You can be the number one contender for weeks at a time, and not get a title match.

Facts, the World title picture has been the best thing about the company overall because it seems to be so carefully booked and it isn't defended so much. I think the main reason Danielson vs Hangman Draw got criticism was because Page didn't get atleast 1 clean victory beforehand but understanding the booking pattern of the title it makes sense.

I said it before, AEW is still educating its audience with their booking patterns and I think they need to stay on it.

Jade Cargill winning the TBS title should be a cool moment but it's a secondary title in a division that is very underwhelming. When AEW started up, I assumed that they would skate by WWE and Impacts women's division but now especially with Omega being such a Joshi fan

37 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

First, you're diagnosing Tony as on the spectrum. You have no clue about that. Even if he is, that doesn't excuse his social media boo-hoo (which he does often BTW), because he knew he find like-minded fans who would validate him. Tony Khan is 39 years old with endless financial resources. He has a multitude of options to have approached this like a professional AND functioning adult. He chose otherwise. The pacifying of grown men to justify bad behavior is disgusting. I don't care that he used to post around here and some of you think he's cool. He's being a jerk in this situation.

Second, you're trying to rationalize this with your White male eyes. Which happens a lot on wrestling. And you did mention that, so points for self-awareness. But I wonder if one day, you and others will ever listen to a Black woman's perspective on such topics. To this point--and I've been here for years--the answer has been no. 

But I'll give part of my take here, all the same:

Swole gave her opinions and feelings on certain things in AEW. There are valid, regardless of whether you think she's a bad wrestler. At no point did she personally attack Tony. She came closer to insulting Brandi on the 'no Black voices in upper management' bit. But after seeing some of her promos, I can't imagine Swole and Brandi seeing eye-to-eye on much.

The idea that some are suggesting--that Swole shouldn't have aired her troubles publicly--is a laugh considering how many salivate at Talk is Jericho or Renee Paquette 'wrestler tells all' shows and shoot interviews in previous years. Just because you don't agree or think she stinks at her job doesn't make her feelings lesser than or means she should be quiet to play nice. But you seem to be leaning that way because you're not giving her POV value.

In essence, what Swole said is 1) AEW needs to improve in overall respresentation and giving women the same chances as men, 2) There needs to be more structure from a creative standpoint to help younger wrestlers or those new to TV who may need more help with the process, 3) The time AEW has for its shows needs to be better arranged to give wrestlers meaningful matches, and 4) AEW is a solid promotion and wishing them well. You would think she spit on someone's grave by some of the reactions. And as a Black woman who's watched and talked about wrestling for a while, I've seen those same statements from others. She's not alone in thinking this way. But I can't help but ask if her being a Black woman with the audacity to speak her peace out loud is the issue here.

Again, I point to you saying she's bad at her job. So what? What does that have to do with what she's speaking about? She didn't even frame the conversation around herself. She was talking about AEW's environment as a whole. But you--and many more--have used the moment to belittle what you think is her lack of wrestling abilities and ignore her concerns. You decided that what she said has no value because you don't like how she does a headlock or cuts a promo. You, along with Tony, make it personal instead of tackling the real issues she mentioned.

And why is that? Because you don't know how? Or you simply don't want to know? 

Until you and others can put down your bias and tendency to downplay others whose voice doesn't amplify yours, we'll keep having conversations like this where we point fingers and nothing worth holding is accomplished. And we'll accuse each other of things that aren't true and we'll get mad but then make up and play nice until the cycle begins again. Frankly, the bicycle is on flats and I'm tired of pedaling for those who say they listen and care and appreciate my take but show otherwise. That's not against you directly, just me saying my peace out loud.

Thank you for this. I see your point of view...hopefully situations like this will help make AEW better moving forward and also make all of us here on the board better. Not all of us share the same points of perspective or life experiences, we all need to able to talk it out respectfully and intelligently...and hopefully grow together.

@Burgundy LaRue????

One of her complaints is about the lack of time for Dark matches. But I remember those Dark matches(for the whole roster). They’d get to do basically a poorly put together indie match for 8, or more minutes. Short enhancement Dark matches actually helped then pick up the basics of TV wrestling way better. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

2) There needs to be more structure from a creative standpoint to help younger wrestlers or those new to TV who may need more help with the process,

I'm quoting just this one talking point to clarify something that I think is getting passed over by all of us. From day one AEW has been positioned as traditional pro wrestling. They are purposely doing wrestling like it was done before WWE went overly scripted with a ton of writers. This looser structure is by design. They didn't make a mistake in doing it this way. They made a specific choice to do it this way. If those parameters are not what you are suited for, then you should at least be aware that you're not going to excel as much as people who are suited for that.

Like I'd never say you knew that ahead of time, don't sign with them. By all means, sign with them and get that money. Try your best to grow into someone that can thrive under that. But it's a bit much to expect the entire company structure to change, when that structure it's self is one of the biggest selling points for the audience. AEW has kind of been saying 'Hey do you enjoy the promos of Dusty, & Piper, & Flair more than you enjoy some dipshit scripting Roman to say suffering succotash? Then AEW is for you, we don't script a performer's promos and never will.'

The AEW structure is never going to change. And if she would thrive under tighter structure, she should work towards getting signed by WWE. Who knows she may be able to be a gigantic star under the right circumstances for her. But to call AEW out for needing a change of structure to more suit what she wants out of wrestling and to dismiss the fact that it is openly one of their drawing points is... really short sighted. Not critiquing anything else she's saying. But just to expect them to be something they have beat their chest about never being... is a weird thing to be critical of. It may not be the best structure for Swole personally, but that loose structure is absolutely a majoring drawing factor for the target audience.

• Like 9