DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

22 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Don’t be embarrassed if you booked yourself in all the top angles. 

Who the fuck told you? Just booking myself like I'm Vince in 2001. Instead of Trish, it's HOOK.

Edited by Jiji
HOOK
  • Haha 7

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Hook has really taught me a lot about the Kinsey scale

Come on, it's 2022, pretty much everyone's a 1-5 these days.

The women's roster is still pretty light. They clearly know who Willow Nightingale and Janai Kai are, seeing as they both wrestled on Elevation tonight. But no contracts? Why? 

Like, are there really any wrestling fans around, who know who both Willow Nightingale and Brandi Rhodes are, and would rather watch a Brandi Rhodes match over a Willow one?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

The women's roster is still pretty light. They clearly know who Willow Nightingale and Janai Kai are, seeing as they both wrestled on Elevation tonight. But no contracts? Why? 

Like, are there really any wrestling fans around, who know who both Willow Nightingale and Brandi Rhodes are, and would rather watch a Brandi Rhodes match over a Willow one?

I like Willow a lot, I'm always happy when she's on Dark. I think the next three ladies signed should be her, Toni Storm, and Ember.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Deeb recently said they've just signed some top women's talent, but she's probably not allowed to say who yet.

26 minutes ago, Jiji said:

That photo makes Kevin Nash cry.

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That's.......that's what a push is. 

He was cooled off and now they're warming him up.  This "24 months" thing is like claiming 1997 Steve Austin wasn't getting a push because he wasn't doing shit as the Ringmaster a year and a half earlier.  Maybe I'm missing your point because I don't get the logic of "he's not getting a push because before his push he wasn't getting a push."

The point is that he's in a good spot through the past 6-8 weeks as I explicitly said - but has been on the very fringe for extended periods previously where they had him doing nothing / being a glorified butler for next to 24 months prior to that (the record posted on previous pages is precisely what I said outside the past 6-8 weeks: a list of low-card jobber wins + being ancillary to MJF in the Pinnacle angle w/ Hager). 6 bouts through 8 months in 2020 - 1 of which was a loss to Cody, 2 of which were jobber bouts w/ Lee Johnson & Musa. Then he receives 7 bouts of which are 4 single bouts through the first 11 months of 2021 - where he went 2 and 2. Sorry @Stefanie the Human - are you really suggesting that 10 singles bouts in 18 months (where he loses against the only high profile talent he faced - Jericho, Hangman, Rhodes .. the same playbook Hobbs has faced) constitutes a push or even being in any serious way 'protected'? Are you actually kidding me? He paid his dues. His biggest singles win is either  23 yr old Jungle Boy way back in October 2020 or Jake Hager and he's not remotely been in a title picture .. so let's please not pretend he's had this great or sustained push until we actually see him go over MJF and it holds.

Comparatively while Wardlow was low Hobbs had his good period in the summer, when he won 7 on the bounce before falling to Punk (again, a high profile talent .. the sort of which Wardlow has also lost every singles bout against thus far .. in fact exactly that given Wardlow has also lost to Punk/Jericho/Hangman/Cody). Prior to that he main evented with Moxley before his turn. This all-or-nothing concept whereby for example that the shine has always been on Wardlow (just to use an example) while Hobbs (for example) has always been ostracised just does not bear any scrutiny.

The Wardlow/Hobbs booking has for almost 2 years by and large been very similar .. excepting the angle now where you could simply not have had Hobbs in that role. So realistically on the card the only elevated position he could have is in a TNT Title picture, but Rhodes has made that his domain, so what you going to do? There's a problem with Rhodes dominating that role & blocking talent, but it probably isn't a diversity-issue per se.

Edited by A_K

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I've been advocating Willow being signed for months. I've only seen Janal Kai the last two days, but I liked the cut of her jib.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

I didn't just book this in TEW last night... ?

Wardlow's obvious comp is Baaauuuwtista. Speaking of, had no idea the finish to the '05 Rumble was a botch because Batista was gassed 'n' sweaty so his hand slipped, ending in a perfect double elimination. I always thought that they were so synched up on the fall that it had to be planned, along with Vince coming out (lol). But nope, the refs adlibbed and Vince came out after sitting in Gorilla for 3+ hours because Teddy and Bisch were too far in the back and they were coming up on the PPV curfew (what's up GCW?). The more you learn.

8 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Fashion sense is clearly Batista level. 

Does this mean we get a return of Fashion Watch *tm*?

Where's @piranesiat?

Wardlow's highly anticipated turn on MJF is imminent

Since I have no clear place to put these, I'll just leave them lying around here, but yesterday I watched some more earlier AEW stuff. Rampage with Andrade-PAC I and Best of AEW 2019 special. PAC-Andrade was very similar to their second match other than the ending. Really wild, but very similar.

Kenny vs PAC was amazing and Kenny's theme "Battle Cry" is one of the most awesome things ever!

Mox vs Allin was just insane and the first Allin match I have seen, that actually let him live up to the hype, so far.

Cody vs Sammy was good and it's nice to see that one in order to compare it to their later matches together.

Cody&friends vs Inner Circle in the VIP box angle was awesome!

Today, I figured I'd watch Blood and Guts as well as Cody vs Brodie Lee matches and the Malakai Black saga.

• Like 5

I thought Cody vs. Darby with the TNT switch is one of the underrated matches in company history. The first match pre-Dynamite era that goes 15 or 20 is really good too. Darby/Jericho from early Dynamite era was another good 'un.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I thought Cody vs. Darby with the TNT switch is one of the underrated matches in company history. The first match pre-Dynamite era that goes 15 or 20 is really good too. Darby/Jericho from early Dynamite era was another good 'un.

I'll try and find those too, then!

7 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I'll try and find those too, then!

If you're eager for more Allin, if you google "Darby Allin vs WALTER" and watch the first video, it's one of the better matches of the last 10 years imo. Not in AEW, obv, but incredible stuff from both guys. Damn shame we won't be getting that again anytime soon.

I assume you've seen Darby vs. MJF from the last PPV? Thought that was Allin's best match in AEW to date and stole the show. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

If you're eager for more Allin, if you google "Darby Allin vs WALTER" and watch the first video, it's one of the better matches of the last 10 years imo. Not in AEW, obv, but incredible stuff from both guys. Damn shame we won't be getting that again anytime soon.

I assume you've seen Darby vs. MJF from the last PPV? Thought that was Allin's best match in AEW to date and stole the show. 

I've yet to see any AEW PPV's aside from the original All In, so most of AEW's best stuff is still unseen to me. This is a journey of discovery as I'm only two-three weeks into my FITE subscription.

I remember reading about WALTER vs Allin back when it was new-ish.

...and @John from Cincinnati at least that one angle with Cody and Jericho looked amazing!

Edited by Shartnado
Cody v Jericho
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

...and @John from Cincinnati at least that one angle with Cody and Jericho looked amazing!

Hell yeah. Cody from the beginning through the build to the first Revolution was a regular highlight. In case it's among the things you've not seen, I'll throw out the big high point from the Jericho build that we're still living in the fallout of:

It's what still gives people faith in Cody as a potentially great babyface. It's potentially why he still gets so much rope to work with today. It's possibly a misshapen object and a hat on a hat on a hat like many things Cody does. But watching it back now, it definitely holds up. 

A shame we can't get Page vs Cody for the world belt. Could have been something special. 

Edit: Watching this back, it remains weird how abruptly Cody got replaced when it was time for the Stadium Stampede that would have been Blood & Guts. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 5

Cody in the Jericho and MJF build ups was an all-time babyface. Don't think either match lived up to the build, particularly the MJF one and that felt like the start of his doldrums. Jericho match was good but needed to be special to match just how great that shit was hyped to be. The build to the Dustin match was really good but the match is the stuff of legends, so the opposite of the Jericho feud. 

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I hope we get Cody attacking Arn and Dustin coming out for the save leading to a rematch. Young Rhodes doesn't always hit the spot for me but he has some great high points. I could do without the smarky stuff in promos, but would like Cody to get involved with Page, maybe injuring the champ in a non-title match leading up to Page/Danielson III. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 hours ago, A_K said:

snipped

A couple of points:

1) I believe I made my points fairly clear when I described where I felt Wardlow was protected. When a babyface needs to hit a heel with a baseball bat to beat him, that heel is protected. When a babyface needs to change the rules of a match to beat a heel because he couldn't beat him before, that heel is protected. When a babyface needs to jump off the top of a twenty foot cage to beat a heel, that heel is protected.

2) Bringing up Hobbs' Dark and Dark Elevation record to compare it to Wardlow's Dynamite/PPV record is an apples to oranges comparison.

I have nothing else to add to the conversation, as I've said everything I think I can say, so you're welcome to whatever final word you'd like. I'm just not sure why you're so adamant about how this. Protection doesn't mean not losing, just as much as being pushed doesn't mean having to chase titles. He's a bodyguard to a top heel and he's being slow burned to turn on him. Where is he supposed to be chasing titles? What benefit is it to beat him cleanly? Of course he's going to be protected when he loses. What kind of bodyguard would he be if he's ineffectual?