DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

If you're eager for more Allin, if you google "Darby Allin vs WALTER" and watch the first video, it's one of the better matches of the last 10 years imo. Not in AEW, obv, but incredible stuff from both guys. Damn shame we won't be getting that again anytime soon.

I assume you've seen Darby vs. MJF from the last PPV? Thought that was Allin's best match in AEW to date and stole the show. 

I've yet to see any AEW PPV's aside from the original All In, so most of AEW's best stuff is still unseen to me. This is a journey of discovery as I'm only two-three weeks into my FITE subscription.

I remember reading about WALTER vs Allin back when it was new-ish.

...and @John from Cincinnati at least that one angle with Cody and Jericho looked amazing!

Edited by Shartnado
Cody v Jericho
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

...and @John from Cincinnati at least that one angle with Cody and Jericho looked amazing!

Hell yeah. Cody from the beginning through the build to the first Revolution was a regular highlight. In case it's among the things you've not seen, I'll throw out the big high point from the Jericho build that we're still living in the fallout of:

It's what still gives people faith in Cody as a potentially great babyface. It's potentially why he still gets so much rope to work with today. It's possibly a misshapen object and a hat on a hat on a hat like many things Cody does. But watching it back now, it definitely holds up. 

A shame we can't get Page vs Cody for the world belt. Could have been something special. 

Edit: Watching this back, it remains weird how abruptly Cody got replaced when it was time for the Stadium Stampede that would have been Blood & Guts. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 5

Cody in the Jericho and MJF build ups was an all-time babyface. Don't think either match lived up to the build, particularly the MJF one and that felt like the start of his doldrums. Jericho match was good but needed to be special to match just how great that shit was hyped to be. The build to the Dustin match was really good but the match is the stuff of legends, so the opposite of the Jericho feud. 

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I hope we get Cody attacking Arn and Dustin coming out for the save leading to a rematch. Young Rhodes doesn't always hit the spot for me but he has some great high points. I could do without the smarky stuff in promos, but would like Cody to get involved with Page, maybe injuring the champ in a non-title match leading up to Page/Danielson III. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 hours ago, A_K said:

snipped

A couple of points:

1) I believe I made my points fairly clear when I described where I felt Wardlow was protected. When a babyface needs to hit a heel with a baseball bat to beat him, that heel is protected. When a babyface needs to change the rules of a match to beat a heel because he couldn't beat him before, that heel is protected. When a babyface needs to jump off the top of a twenty foot cage to beat a heel, that heel is protected.

2) Bringing up Hobbs' Dark and Dark Elevation record to compare it to Wardlow's Dynamite/PPV record is an apples to oranges comparison.

I have nothing else to add to the conversation, as I've said everything I think I can say, so you're welcome to whatever final word you'd like. I'm just not sure why you're so adamant about how this. Protection doesn't mean not losing, just as much as being pushed doesn't mean having to chase titles. He's a bodyguard to a top heel and he's being slow burned to turn on him. Where is he supposed to be chasing titles? What benefit is it to beat him cleanly? Of course he's going to be protected when he loses. What kind of bodyguard would he be if he's ineffectual?

11 hours ago, Dog said:

Deeb recently said they've just signed some top women's talent, but she's probably not allowed to say who yet.

Didn't Marina Shafir just get an AEW tshirt? She would fit the bill as a good ally for Deeb.

It's on BiliBili which some have an aversion to (I think they're Chinese? Kind of the same problem people have with Rutube) but here is Darby vs. Gunther WALTER. If any admins have an issue with me posting this link then scrub it, or I will. 

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1vt411b7FX/

(Note: I think Rutube tried to hack me one time. It probably did but I suffered no ill effects. A little pee in my blood, but that is usual.)

EDIT II: My fuckup there is way funnier than the actual joke

Edited by Curt McGirt

4 hours ago, Octopus said:

Get ready to (hopefully) soon add Omega to your fantasy booking, @Jiji

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

I just hope he comes back healthy and not early. There's no rush, as much as I miss him.

I miss Kenny Omega but I'd rather him not rush back. Take the time to properly rest.

• Like 1

Late to the party but I recently got AEW Plus on FITE so I’m going a catch up on some of the big matches from the last few months. 
Any recommendations? 

So far I’ve watched;

Dragon V Omega- just a great, hard hitting match which told a great story can’t wait to see them go at it again.

Dragon V Suzuki- I actually didn’t care for this, thought it was a typical Suzuki formula match. Maybe i just wasn’t in the form.

Dragon V Hangman- fantastic, a classic from top to bottom

• Like 1

Been on quite the binge of AEW's best (well, TV stuff) yesterday and this morning. Including, but not limited to: Cody vs Malakai Black (twice), Miro vs Allin, Blood and Guts, Omega vs Danielson, PAC vs OC, Mox vs Nagata, MJF vs Pillman, Danielson vs Dustin, Kingston vs Archer and so on. Probably already worth the 75 euros I plunked down for it. Still tons and tons of stuff to see and new stuff coming each week. Good times!

Sidenote: There's an awful disconnect going on with a couple of theme songs here! How in the fuck could anyone ever boo someone with "Battle Cry" as theme and OTOH cheer some one with "Wild Thing"? Stop abusing Mox with that lame-ass shit!

Edited by Shartnado
Themes
  • Like 2

The Moxley vs Nagata match, where he uses the Troggs' version of Wild Thing is a good laugh. Flute solo!

Jericho vs Gage was fun. Watch it, then watch it again to see the people in the crowd who had no idea that this was a style of wrestling people could legally do.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The Moxley vs Nagata match, where he uses the Troggs' version of Wild Thing is a good laugh. Flute solo!

I'm not complaining about the rockier X version, but hearing the Troggs' Wild Thing and that entrance was one of the highlights of the year for me.  The flute solo portion brings a moment of clarity and focus to the difficult task at hand.  The Troggs are criminally overlooked by those who've been restricted to just (the endless joy of) this one AM/FM hit.   

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
5 hours ago, peterien said:

Late to the party but I recently got AEW Plus on FITE so I’m going a catch up on some of the big matches from the last few months. 
Any recommendations? 

Kingston v Punk

Rogers & Greene v FTR (not exactly "big", from Dark but well worth a look)

Allin v MJF

4 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Rogers & Greene v FTR (not exactly "big", from Dark but well worth a look)

That's an excellent choice.  AEW has provided a lot of fine wrestling and wrestling content, but few things are consistently better than FTR's run of Dark matches.