DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

47 minutes ago, Casey said:

I actually think the opposite, I think. Garcia’s promos remind me a lot of Eddie Kingston, in that they’re not pro wrestling promos but a guy who could legit fuck someone up just talking. I like that. But his character work? If this was EWR, he’d have No Gimmick Needed or something, because… well, he doesn’t really have one. The same way he cuts his promos is exactly how his character is presented. No frills, nothing extra presented or added. Just a guy who can do everything he talks about.

So maybe not the opposite of what you said, but I think for his experience, he’s doing quite well. Putting him with Danielson would go a long ways, actually.

His character isn't easy to describe but it's that of a young, brash man that wants his now. He knows how good he is, that he's way ahead of where he's supposed to be, but doesn't want to work his way up the ladder, hence attacking guys way above his paygrade like Punk and Kingston. He's able to remain calm when things go his way but snaps when they don't, hence the red mist part of red death. Was it the Kingston or Punk match where he tried to meditate for a few seconds after he could feel the match start slipping away from him? That kind of dedication and understanding of character work and storytelling of character within a match is really special and hard to come by among stars, much less a 23 year old neophyte. Hot headed, brash young man to tl;dr it. I love it and I think he would mesh with Dickhead Danielson perfectly

As for the promos, I think it's his delivery I mostly have issue with. He's so confident in his understanding of who he is but he seems to me a little put off when cutting promos. Like he's rehearsed it in the mirror and doesn't have confidence in what he's saying. Doesn't seem natural and that's okay. He's 23 and only been working since 2017. 

• Like 2

I have questions about Sammy Guevara’s G.T.H. Finisher:

1) what does the “H” stand for? G.T.S. Stands for “Go To Sleep” so what’s the H for? I’m gonna assume it’s “Go To Houston.” Or hell. Same thing.

2) is there a proper way to do it? I’ve seen him hit the knee to the face, the chest, the top of the head (Miro), the back of the head (Garcia). Looks brutal just about every time, but it’s hard to get a read on how it’s supposed to look.

3) I guess that’s just something about Sammy. He always looks like he’s just this amount of out of control, but because he’s not Emo goth that aspect doesn’t get played up much. His 630 is not tight like Ricochet’s and looks like he doesn’t have much control over how or where he lands, for example the one he used to beat Miro. He hit a dive on Garcia last week where it looked like he decided to add a twist at the last second that resulted in double knees to Garcia’s head. His dive on Dustin at Battle of the Belts looked like he added a flip at the last second and almost completely missed him. He’s out of control and seems a little dangerous, but I guess that’s part of the act, even if they don’t play it up in the commentary?

4) And I think Sammy’s great! H-Town!

• Like 1

I believe Excalibur said it stands for "Go To Hell".  As for a proper way I've seen it done those ways also but assume it's supposed to hit the forehead like Punk's GTS is supposed to.   And yeah he can be a bit chaotic in how he does his moves which can be concerning if it does some damage to himself or his opponents.  But he's also said at times that he has little disregard for his body so who knows if that's part of the gimmick or not.

17 hours ago, Hamhock said:

I feel that he moves too slowly; it's as if he's practicing/training while running the ropes rather than hitting them at full speed, except that's really his full speed? Does that make any sense?

Yep.  It's Luchasaurus' speed as well.  Dude just sort of floats gingerly out there.  

Pillman Jr. is a case where he's been given his shot.  The guys has had many opportunities to step up, and in all of those cases, he's not shown he's got "it", IMO.  

He's passable in the ring, but any time he's had to do any "acting", it's been awful.  He totally missed the mark with MJF insulting his family, and I don't know what the hell he was trying to with "uncertainty" on Wednesday.

• Like 6

Pillman’s a lame baby face (kinda so was his legendary father) but the little I saw of his MLW work, as a heel (the role that made his father legendary) showed a lot of promise. I agree he’s had an inability to rise to the level of his opportunities thus far, but he’s young and still green. Luckily this isn’t a promotion that cuts the water off on a potential star for not being quite ready. I’m still interested to see where he is in a year or six months.  But yeah, he needs to retool some things.  So too Griff.  

I’m seeing both sides of this.  I complimented his Makakai Black promo a couple of weeks ago. Because as cringy as that promo started out to be.  He pushed it through so hard to get it sold.  I had to respect the effort.  I don’t think anyone can discount Pillman’s investment.  But he is going to need a bit more spring in his heavy step if expects to succeed at his tribute act to his father.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

I’m seeing both sides of this.  I complimented his Makakai Black promo a couple of weeks ago. Because as cringy as that promo started out to be.  He pushed it through so hard to get it sold.  I had to respect the effort.  I don’t think anyone can discount Pillman’s investment.  But he is going to need a bit more spring in his heavy step if expects to succeed at his tribute act to his father.  

Man, I dunno. When MJF was berating his family and he came out and smiled for the fans on the ramp for what felt like 5 minutes instead of just beating the dude’s ass, that was a degree of “not getting pro wrestling” that just seems like one of those things you either have or don’t. Maybe (hopefully) it’s just “not getting being a babyface”.

• Like 3

Brian senior was a bland babyface (who wasn't very good at promos), right up until he turned heel when he was 30. Brian Pillman jr is 28.

An important thing to remember about Pillman is that he was signed by MLW and put on their TV less than a year into his pro career. This business has been trying to rush him into being something he’s not ready for since Day 1.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Brian senior was a bland babyface (who wasn't very good at promos), right up until he turned heel when he was 30. Brian Pillman jr is 28.

No way was Pillman Sr. a bland babyface. Dude was a fantastic underdog babyface from 89-92.

• Like 9

On 1/15/2022 at 7:45 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

That statement wasn't made with fans in mind, only advertisers. If there's one advertiser that doesn't want to associate their brand with women bleeding all over the place, and if WWE's statement makes them realize it, they did their job. Smear the competition and make their brand less valuable.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:09 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

The problem with this though is real violence hasn't been a stumbling block for advertisers in 15 years. UFC managed to blue chip sponsors as far back as 10-12 years ago. They've had several gory fights with women in primetime for the longest. If there is any stumbling block, it's going to be that it's either pro wrestling, MMA, or boxing period. That perception has been largely wiped away for a minute now. Once a company gets to certain level, that's pretty much it unless they go in reverse in terms of popularity. Otherwise, advertisers don't give a fuck. From 1998 to up until they banned blood, WWE regularly featured a bunch of bloodletting (granted much of it was on PPV and didn't involve women). Like an absurd amount for a company getting large TV ratings. Plus, you add in some of the violence against women and obscenity. Advertisers might have backed off a little, but it was never a large enough issue where advertisers were pulling out left and right. 

How many times have we seen in the NFL someone get placed on backboard after they just came back from an ad break that included brands like Microsoft, Coca-Cola, Pizza Hut, and Samsung? People have largely moved past some of the grisly and barbaric nature of sports, real or fake. 

If you're going to put the poison pill out there, you got levy stronger stuff than that.

Mild spitepost here (I'm much more upset about the gritty, unwashed kale in my breakfast sandwich. First world problems.) - I guess Meltzer did some big piece about how Warner Media was pissed about the WWE's anti-Bunny-bloodbath statement, and looked at the WWE's history of using these sorts of tactics against their competition.

"Sources noted that WarnerMedia was upset about the WWE quote, taking it as an attempt at a personal attack against the company in an attempt to hurt their ad sales."

Until AEW renews their TV deal, the WWE will blatantly attempt to damage the AEW brand's image when possible - like I was trying to tell you all.

• Like 1

Yeah, friends and I just watched 91 Wargames and Pillman (and Windham) were MVPs. Horsemen had jumped Brian the night before on tv and he came in beat to shit, shoulder heavily taped. While Sting and company were discussing who was going to start the match, Pillman rushed past them into the cage and had the match of his life. He showed so much fire, was incredibly aggressive, yet still managed to do flashy shit like head scissors while holding himself up by the roof of the cage. It looked great and didn't feel out of place. And holy hell, that has to be a top 3 WCW match of all time along with Vader and Sting from 92 and Eddie/Rey. His work with Flair in 90 and 91 ruled too. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Mild spitepost here (I'm much more upset about the gritty, unwashed kale in my breakfast sandwich. First world problems.) - I guess Meltzer did some big piece about how Warner Media was pissed about the WWE's anti-Bunny-bloodbath statement, and looked at the WWE's history of using these sorts of tactics against their competition.

"Sources noted that WarnerMedia was upset about the WWE quote, taking it as an attempt at a personal attack against the company in an attempt to hurt their ad sales."

Until AEW renews their TV deal, the WWE will blatantly attempt to damage the AEW brand's image when possible - like I was trying to tell you all.

No, I totally understand what you're saying and see your point. What I don't understand is from WWE's perspective. What would do AEW in is a direct correlation between over the top, graphic violence and ratings patterns. For example, not all that long ago, the female viewership hit a nosedive when a few weeks back-to-back-to-back they did some very bloody and kinda gruesome stuff in some matches which I believe included the Britt Baker vs. Thunder Rosa Lights Out match. It's starting to sorta recover, but clearly, whatever it was turned off the female viewers in a big way and they're only starting to come back now.

It has to be a direct cause and effect and not just random mudslinging for WWE to get real damage. Otherwise, if AEW continues to get solid to good ratings every week, they're going to get more money like everyone else in sports in getting more money. 

5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I have questions about Sammy Guevara’s G.T.H. Finisher:

1) what does the “H” stand for? G.T.S. Stands for “Go To Sleep” so what’s the H for? I’m gonna assume it’s “Go To Houston.” Or hell. Same thing.

GTH stands for "Go To Hospital."