DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

Stacked show tonight, rumblings of Gargano showing up in a week, and Keith Lee & Athena could show up early Feb. Shit feels EXCITING.

Also, who wouldn't lose it if Biff Busick showed up?! Seems that absolutely zero folks are speculating/hoping for that. "Not me," - Big E (from the legendary Big Meaty Men rant).

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 1

I really, really enjoyed Busick back in his PWG and indies run prior to WWE. However, I think he missed his chance with AEW. He feels like the sort of guy that would've been semi-regularly featured in years one and two. Now? I don't think he'd fare much better than Nese, though he's far more charismatic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Not only was this match great, it is one of the better garbage brawls I've seen in a long ass time.  We get a lot of these type of matches, but this one actually felt like it was a worthy blow off for a heated rivalry.  The blood absolutely added to the match as it made it feel like all 4 women were willing to put it all on the line to beat their opponents.  We just got a street fight between Eddie Kingston/Santana/Ortiz and Daniel Garcia/2.0, and it fell flat to me.  It really felt like just another in a series of matches.  The 4 women in the TayJay vs. Bunny/Ford really went out there and bumped all over the place, bled, and made me care about their match.  If putting on matches that make people care is bad for the business, the business is doomed.

WWE and AEW are just in different businesses these days - WWE sees itself in the context of generating content like a Hollywood studio or a Netflix. AEW wants to be in the pro wrestling business, creating pro wrestling content for TV and social media.  The sharp contrast continues to grow every week; the reboot of NXT, which was a pro wrestling company at one time, only shows it more.

I loved the TajJay vs. Bunny/Ford feud, and the 4 way street fight.  Every woman came out of that feud stronger - which is a truly well booked angle. Whomever is booking the females in AEW (Dustin?) is really doing some great work. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 4:42 PM, JLowe said:

Just saw a FB post (one of my friends replied to it, thanks algorithm) that AEW will be in Austin (technically Cedar Park) on March 23rd for live Dynamite and Rampage taping. Guess I'll be getting a ticket, hopefully the Covid situation will have settled down enough that I'll feel safe attending. I imagine we'll see Austin's own Dustin Rhodes.

On 1/18/2022 at 5:28 PM, DreamBroken said:

March 16 in San Antonio, March 23 in Cedar Park.... wondering if that could lead back to Dallas the next week, days before Mania is in town.

No Houston though, unfortunately.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

This is unlikely to be an original thought, but why is the first TBS Title defence happening on TNT, while the TNT Title unification is happening on TBS?

Why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

Why are goods transported by land called a shipment while goods transported by sea are called cargo?

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, Casey said:

Nyla Rose has COVID ?

That really, really sucks.  I was hoping to see her back in her hometown but hope it won't be too long before they hit that area again.  Heck, there was even a sign in the front showing her love.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I would rather see Biff Busick working NJPW Strong. He seems like a perfect fit there.

Would rather see him and Thatcher tame all the wild demons of NJPW myself...but yeah, NJ Strong seems like a natural fit for them. Them "ordinary" would be best to stick together at this point. Same for Gulak if he ever comes out of E-land. I think Danielson should wait on these guys if he ever does start a stable. I can see adding young Garcia to the mix but Garcia's got Judas written all over him (NOT A FOZZY REFERENCE).

On a different topic, I have been wanting to do a deep dive on Brian Pillman, jr. ... I keep hearing people say he's best he's ever been but then others saying he just doesn't fit. Can anyone single out what his best matches have been? I think I've only seen him in tags with DBS, jr.

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

"Henny Youngman is an old man, but Gary Oldman is a young man!" - Norm MacDonald 

Daredevil is blind and uses sonar like a bat and Batman is an adrenaline junkie that flies experimental aircraft and fast vehicles, like a daredevil!

And father time eventually took care of your example there, Gordlow.

Edited by Shartnado
Oldman is an old man, now...

20 minutes ago, Horatio said:

I can see adding young Garcia to the mix but Garcia's got Judas written all over him (NOT A FOZZY REFERENCE).

He really feels like the heir apparent to the American Dragon throne and should absolutely do a longterm mentorship under Dragon until he doesn't feel like he needs Danielson anymore. He's so fucking good technically and in terms of psychology. Danielson took years to get the character stuff down and even longer to get the promos. Garcia has the character work nailed imo but could use a lot of help with promos. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Horatio said:

On a different topic, I have been wanting to do a deep dive on Brian Pillman, jr. ... I keep hearing people say he's best he's ever been but then others saying he just doesn't fit.

I think someone can both be “the best they’ve ever been” and yet still “not very good.”

Brian Pillman Jr is one such person.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EVA said:

I think someone can both be “the best they’ve ever been” and yet still “not very good.”

Brian Pillman Jr is one such person.

I feel that he moves too slowly; it's as if he's practicing/training while running the ropes rather than hitting them at full speed, except that's really his full speed? Does that make any sense?

Edited by Hamhock

My concern with Brian Pillman Jr. is that he's Brian Pillman Jr. I think he's a fine young man. Good head on his shoulders. But he's also Brian Pillman's son. 

When he was finally given the chance to get the mic in AEW, he was kind of like a deer in the headlights. I think he did fine as a worker in his big matchups, but he seemed uncertain and unsure of himself in his promos. His go-to move was raising his voice when he sounded lost.

I'm worried that Pillman won't be able to step out of his father's shadow and find his own identity. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

My concern with Brian Pillman Jr. is that he's Brian Pillman Jr. I think he's a fine young man. Good head on his shoulders.

Ehhhhhhhhhh his social media presence would suggest otherwise.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

Garcia has the character work nailed imo but could use a lot of help with promos. 

I actually think the opposite, I think. Garcia’s promos remind me a lot of Eddie Kingston, in that they’re not pro wrestling promos but a guy who could legit fuck someone up just talking. I like that. But his character work? If this was EWR, he’d have No Gimmick Needed or something, because… well, he doesn’t really have one. The same way he cuts his promos is exactly how his character is presented. No frills, nothing extra presented or added. Just a guy who can do everything he talks about.

So maybe not the opposite of what you said, but I think for his experience, he’s doing quite well. Putting him with Danielson would go a long ways, actually.

• Like 3