DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

Briscoes had a pretty awesome video on Facebook where Jay told Tony Khan to land his plane in their cornfield and it ended with Jay saying he was going to clear a path for the jet to land or something, so hopefully Briscoes are onto something. I think their promos would put AEW through the roof but who knows...

Just heard the new Gunn Club's theme and - AEW just hits on all their entrance music don't they? Like, I'm not trying to be too over the top or anything, but there are a litany of theme songs they have that I listen to in the car on occasion. I don't think WWE has had music this good in quite some time (although Roman's new theme goes hard AF), but Mikey Ruckus and whoever else helps with AEW's music does a phenomenal job. I think they all really hit the personality of the characters and adds to them.

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, Horatio said:

Briscoes had a pretty awesome video on Facebook where Jay told Tony Khan to land his plane in their cornfield and it ended with Jay saying he was going to clear a path for the jet to land or something, so hopefully Briscoes are onto something. I think their promos would put AEW through the roof but who knows...

Did you miss the one where Wheeler said they'd kick the shit out of the Briscoes in front of their own chickens?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Show has missed him, to be honest. There are so many people he could tear it up with. I really want to see him and Miro beef. Maybe Cole after Cole's likely title challenge.

I don't think it's likely that Cole wins the title for quite a while.  I foresee a lengthy title run for Page for starters.  Cole wil lmost likely be tied up with the Elite at least until Omega comes back. I don't know if Danielson takes the belt off of Page, but I'd be very surprised if his title reign isn't at least 6 months after the story they told to get him here.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Show has missed him, to be honest. There are so many people he could tear it up with. I really want to see him and Miro beef. Maybe Cole after Cole's likely title challenge.

I sure wouldn't mind seeing that Mox/Danielson match they were building to in the tournament.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I sure wouldn't mind seeing that Mox/Danielson match they were building to in the tournament.

That's kind of interesting, because it seemed like they were heading toward Mox playing the heel there.  Now, there's no way he's getting booed, at least for a while. Luckily, Danielson went heel in the meantime, so maybe they can still feud, but with the roles reversed.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I don't think it's likely that Cole wins the title for quite a while.  I foresee a lengthy title run for Page for starters.  Cole wil lmost likely be tied up with the Elite at least until Omega comes back. I don't know if Danielson takes the belt off of Page, but I'd be very surprised if his title reign isn't at least 6 months after the story they told to get him here.

I think Cole is losing to Page at Revolution. They've heated him up really well and I would think the blowoff with OC is coming at Beach Break next week. Bucks and Red Dragon will likely have a match at the PPV too, at least that's what they've been suggesting, so that would free Cole up for the big shot at Hangmin.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just saw a FB post (one of my friends replied to it, thanks algorithm) that AEW will be in Austin (technically Cedar Park) on March 23rd for live Dynamite and Rampage taping. Guess I'll be getting a ticket, hopefully the Covid situation will have settled down enough that I'll feel safe attending. I imagine we'll see Austin's own Dustin Rhodes.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Just saw a FB post (one of my friends replied to it, thanks algorithm) that AEW will be in Austin (technically Cedar Park) on March 23rd for live Dynamite and Rampage taping. Guess I'll be getting a ticket, hopefully the Covid situation will have settled down enough that I'll feel safe attending. I imagine we'll see Austin's own Dustin Rhodes.

March 16 in San Antonio, March 23 in Cedar Park.... wondering if that could lead back to Dallas the next week, days before Mania is in town.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

I don't think Danielson ever wins the platinum.  TNT or tag run possibly, I think he'll be upper card threat but fall short.

Having great wrestlers Goto themselves helps the prestige of your belt.

7 hours ago, alstein said:

I don't think Danielson ever wins the platinum.  TNT or tag run possibly, I think he'll be upper card threat but fall short.

Having great wrestlers Goto themselves helps the prestige of your belt.

I can see this, kind of like HBK after 2002 where he never won the title again but was still near the top of the show for most of his run.

Today, I watched the Rampage in which four women apparently self-mutilatied themselves and sent the (different from WWE) business back into middle ages. I thought it was awesome. Before seeing it, I read that there was a spot involving a split and tumbtacks. Seeing her entrance, I was certain that it would be Penelope taking it. I surprised that it was, in fact, The Bunny. So, they can both do splits? Amazing. 

Also, I watched the one with FTR vs Lucha Bros for the tag titles. Damn, I thought that Lucha Bros were supposed to be pretty much the best thing ever, but thus far, I'm not sure about that.

Earlier in the week, I watched Page-Danielson I, albeit while cooking, but that certainly didn't seem like 60 minutes. The action kept going and it was not like some Iron Man matches over the years. I probably need to watch it again and maybe watch the rematch again straight afterwards.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Today, I watched the Rampage in which four women apparently self-mutilatied themselves and sent the (different from WWE) business back into middle ages. I thought it was awesome. Before seeing it, I read that there was a spot involving a split and tumbtacks. Seeing her entrance, I was certain that it would be Penelope taking it. I surprised that it was, in fact, The Bunny. So, they can both do splits? Amazing. 

Not only was this match great, it is one of the better garbage brawls I've seen in a long ass time.  We get a lot of these type of matches, but this one actually felt like it was a worthy blow off for a heated rivalry.  The blood absolutely added to the match as it made it feel like all 4 women were willing to put it all on the line to beat their opponents.  We just got a street fight between Eddie Kingston/Santana/Ortiz and Daniel Garcia/2.0, and it fell flat to me.  It really felt like just another in a series of matches.  The 4 women in the TayJay vs. Bunny/Ford really went out there and bumped all over the place, bled, and made me care about their match.  If putting on matches that make people care is bad for the business, the business is doomed.

• Like 3

I disagree with that take.

Here's what we wrote about the Kingston/Santana/Ortiz vs Garcia/2.0 match.

Spoiler
AEW Rampage 1/7 (Taped 1/5)

Eddie Kingston/Santana/Ortiz vs. 2.0 (Jeff Parker/Matt Lee)/Danny Garcia

PAS: You put some New Yoricans in a street fight and I am going to be into it. This had a JAPW arena brawl vibe to it, lots of moving pieces, big shots and great little moments of character work. Eddie Kingston is the best wrestler in the world, and is the highlight of every match he is in. I loved the ground and pound on the floor, with Kingston trying to clear Garcia's guard, and all of the leg selling was killer. King hopping across the ring to hit the Exploder ruled and was a heck of babyface hot tag spot. 2.0 are just great filler guys, can pretty much play any role up and down the card and make it work. Garcia is obviously headed for bigger things and I am excited for them to revisit the Kingston feud down the road, I could easily see it as a main event match for a big title.  

MD: I don't want to be mean about this, because the effort and layout were both very good for the TayJay vs Ford/Bunny match, but a brawl like this exposes what happened with them as a lot of bells and whistles. Again, not anything necessarily wrong about that, but this is striking, as it didn't need any of that and it was still gripping. I'm generally the low SC vote on Santana/Ortiz, but here their double teams (which usually feel more like ends unto themselves than means to achieve a greater purpose) worked as a tool for them to assert dominance whenever the action actually did make it back into the ring. Kingston's selling and overall sense of defiance was spot on as always as was Garcia's dickish targeting of the leg on the outside. 2.0 got to show some extra versatility here proving that they could take a lot of stuff and fill the space properly in a garbage brawl. From a structural standpoint, it felt a bit off to me how after Garcia/2.0 eliminated Kingston and therefore had a theoretical numerical advantage for the stretch, they still lost. Maybe you could play it up that they paid some sort of greater cost by being so focused on Kingston, but it raised a flag. I probably would have liked this more if it ended after the bell shot.

ER: I have been loving this feud, and this was the best match of the feud so far. It really did capture that classic 2000s indy brawl feel, the kind of match where you can have 6 favorite guys. Jeff Parker was a huge standout for me. I was an Ever-Rise fan, and like that he's one of the few guys left who throws a strong fistdrop, but here he looked like a heel indy legend. He's out there in perfect street fight gear, sporting a mustache and haircut that makes him look like Eric Roberts in Star 69, which is a fucking great way for a wrestler to look. Santana and Ortiz had some fire double teams in this, some great timing on a cutter where Santana slid into the ring to toss Ortiz back into Parker, and no matter what the Inner Circle did Parker had the timing and ring placement down precise. Parker also threw the best punches in a match that has several good-to-great punchers and really fueled the big babyface comeback. Matt Lee is a great unhinged idiot and also kept gluing himself into things, working in and out with everyone and running into constant chaos on the floor. The Kingston/Garcia was some awesome story advancement, with Garcia taking advantage of a Kingston slip on the floor and immediately going after his knee like an asshole. Kingston was his perfect self, egging on his own beating, never able to help himself from making his beating worse. They worked a hot finishing stretch into a brawl that was more about stiffness and strikes (like an old JAPW or IWA-MS brawl) than about modern AEW garbage stunt brawling. There were some big spots, but they managed to convey a ton of violence without using blood, and it takes a great brawl to stand out like this without the AEW crimson. 

• Like 4