DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

In other, more heartbreaking free agency news - Peter Avalon is seemingly gone from AEW. Or maybe he’s been bumped down a tier, who knows anymore.

I am assuming you are saying that because of this

I'm guessing instead of releasing people, AEW will simply start letting old contracts expire and not renew them, which from a business standpoint, they should because they signed way too many people. Granted, I highly doubt Avalon was getting six figures guaranteed in AEW.

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm guessing instead of releasing people, AEW will simply start letting old contracts expire and not renew them, which from a business standpoint, they should because they signed way too many people. Granted, I highly doubt Avalon was getting six figures guaranteed in AEW.

They can always bring him in now and again without having him under contract too.

• Like 3

Lol I didn't realise Avalon was Norv Fernum in Impact/TNA.

If somebody wants to say 'they should have kept Avalon and not brought in Tony Nese ot [insert name]'......yeah, I feel you, you're probably not wrong. But there isn't really anywhere else to go with Pretty Peter at this point. He's got better as a wrestler, he's had a run and made a name for himself, but he is a jobber when all is said and done. He is also quite small. I imagine though that he'll be in all sorts of demand on the indy circuit - maybe if he can find another gear, he can come in with a better spot. If he's leaving AEW, I will miss him. But maybe it's better that way?

Cody going away for a few months wouldn’t be a bad thing. Cody likes a good worked shoot so why not “test the waters” for a few months on the indie scene. He can take the TNT Championship with him and defend it as “The Rightful Champion” maybe even film a season of Rhodes to the Top where he’s “out of AEW”. Then he can come back in time for Double or Nothing to have a Unification Match with Sammy. 

• Like 4

Honestly getting kind of tired of Tony Nese catching strays in these conversations as the alleged quintessential example of AEW signing too many guys and not having enough time for everybody. With the exception of the open challenge match with Sammy, Nese has exclusively been a Dark guy. He’s not taking meaningful time from anybody.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
15 minutes ago, EVA said:

Honestly getting kind of tired of Tony Nese catching strays in these conversations as the alleged quintessential example of AEW signing too many guys and not having enough time for everybody. With the exception of the open challenge match with Sammy, Nese has exclusively been a Dark guy. He’s not taking meaningful time from anybody.

But then they could've signed Buddy Murphy! And then Buddy Murphy would've been working Dark! And then everyone would complain about that!

31 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Lol I didn't realise Avalon was Norv Fernum in Impact/TNA.

If somebody wants to say 'they should have kept Avalon and not brought in Tony Nese ot [insert name]'......yeah, I feel you, you're probably not wrong. But there isn't really anywhere else to go with Pretty Peter at this point. He's got better as a wrestler, he's had a run and made a name for himself, but he is a jobber when all is said and done. He is also quite small. I imagine though that he'll be in all sorts of demand on the indy circuit - maybe if he can find another gear, he can come in with a better spot. If he's leaving AEW, I will miss him. But maybe it's better that way?

not that this should be an issue with Peter Avalon and the "Librarian", but AEW hasn't created very many gimmicks. When someone with a successful AEW-created gimmick leaves the company, how will they handle the rights to it?

Seeing lots of talk in various places about Cody being a free agent but very little mention of his role as an EVP. Isn't that fact, his behind the scenes role, a big part of his reality show? Do people REALLY think he's going to actually go somewhere else? Just seems like a weird technicality, like things are being negotiated but somebody leaked something, or they decided fuck it and are using the online chatter to get people to speculate. No matter what, I don't see it developing into anything. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, EVA said:

This doesn't count the 42 random shots of him watching from the crowd we've had to endure on Dynamite & Rampage lol.

58 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Cody going away for a few months wouldn’t be a bad thing. Cody likes a good worked shoot so why not “test the waters” for a few months on the indie scene. He can take the TNT Championship with him and defend it as “The Rightful Champion” maybe even film a season of Rhodes to the Top where he’s “out of AEW”. Then he can come back in time for Double or Nothing to have a Unification Match with Sammy. 

Damn.  He could be working a worked reality show while he works a worked wrestling promotion.  That's like 8-dimentional chess, man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This doesn't count the 42 random shots of him watching from the crowd we've had to endure on Dynamite & Rampage lol.

Damn that Tony Nese! It should be someone else seat-filling in the crowd!

... I don't know who! Just someone I like!

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Austin Gunn is very good at that.

I said someone I like, dang it. ?

1 hour ago, EVA said:

In other words, he's not adding any meaningful time to the product either. Why sign a guy just to book on AEW Dark?

• Like 1

I doubt Cody Rhodes would want to go back to WWE this point in time especially. I know people seem to believe Hunter is pretty much out of favor as far as any influence in WWE but Cody throwing subliminal shots at Hunter would make WWE not an option as far as leverage. I don't see New Japan wanting him. Unless he wants to be like the new Jeff Jarrett and work these NWA shows and maybe AAA. I don't see him anywhere else but AEW. 

Unless Vince wanted to Sign Cody to spite Hunter.