DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

AEW desperately needs to quit running the same markets to help improve their carbon footprint in the wrestling industry. We all know that NOOOOOOORTHHHH CAROLINAAAA will sell tickets as will Chicago and the NYC area, but I feel between those three places and Texas - that's about the only place we have seen shows recently. I don't know if that's because of the pandemic, but they need more variety in the locations they choose to go to.

Also, last surprise for me was actually just a week ago with 2.0 and Danny boy FINALLY getting a big win over PnP and Eddie Kingston. PUSH THE NEW NASTYS NOW!!!

• Like 2

Yeah, felt like they went to the North Carolina well one too many times. One of those shows could've been in Greenville or Clemson easy. 

It's also bizarre to me that after that first fantastic Atlanta Dynamite in 2020, they took it forty minutes up the road to Buford. Gwinnett Co is massive, and heavily populated, but getting around on a weeknight there is a bitch. Got most of the Atlanta gridlock with none of the amenities or surrounding businesses. I wonder if State Farm in Atlanta is one of the venues WWE is trying to muscle AEW out of...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JLowe said:

WWE, we don’t support gory self-mutilation of women performers, but we do support regimes who mutilate reporters and jail women.

God damn pal self mutilation is uncouth. Murdering journalist and regular mutilation is just the cost of doing business.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

We were sort of talking about this in the Dynamite thread, but for as logically sound and non-intelligence insulting as AEW’s booking is (long term, wins and losses matter, continuity matters)….when was the last time they featured a genuinely surprising result or twist?

They did this in the beginning (Private Party over the Bucks being the obvious example), but man the road that these stories are taking seems a bit too tidy if you ask me. I’d like to see a curveball or three. 

Like Hangman’s arc was good. MJF/Punk/Wardlow is good. Bucks/UE split is good. But as sound as it all is, they are multi-month storylines that we know the ending to. Give me something totally out of left field every once in a while; Garcia over Sammy on Tuesday would have been a perfect example of mixing it up in a good way.

I honestly feel like having fairly predictable storylines is a good thing in wrestling, so when you do pull a swerve it hits harder.  One of the things that WWE did to lose me is trying to always swerve the audience.  Tell good stories even if they are predictable, and I'll be satisfied.  When you do swerve the audience, make sure that it matters and turns into something bigger.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Didn’t they (WWE) literally have a wrestler burn to death in the ring last year? 

Yeah but he didn’t BLEED.

Plus they singled out the women’s match, and not Danielson/Hangman 2, so you could probably draw conclusions that it’s more about how they perceive violence with men is acceptable but violence with women isn’t.

• Like 6

That statement wasn't made with fans in mind, only advertisers. If there's one advertiser that doesn't want to associate their brand with women bleeding all over the place, and if WWE's statement makes them realize it, they did their job. Smear the competition and make their brand less valuable.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

24 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

That statement wasn't made with fans in mind, only advertisers. If there's one advertiser that doesn't want to associate their brand with women bleeding all over the place, and if WWE's statement makes them realize it, they did their job. Smear the competition and make their brand less valuable.

The problem with this though is real violence hasn't been a stumbling block for advertisers in 15 years. UFC managed to blue chip sponsors as far back as 10-12 years ago. They've had several gory fights with women in primetime for the longest. If there is any stumbling block, it's going to be that it's either pro wrestling, MMA, or boxing period. That perception has been largely wiped away for a minute now. Once a company gets to certain level, that's pretty much it unless they go in reverse in terms of popularity. Otherwise, advertisers don't give a fuck. From 1998 to up until they banned blood, WWE regularly featured a bunch of bloodletting (granted much of it was on PPV and didn't involve women). Like an absurd amount for a company getting large TV ratings. Plus, you add in some of the violence against women and obscenity. Advertisers might have backed off a little, but it was never a large enough issue where advertisers were pulling out left and right. 

How many times have we seen in the NFL someone get placed on backboard after they just came back from an ad break that included brands like Microsoft, Coca-Cola, Pizza Hut, and Samsung? People have largely moved past some of the grisly and barbaric nature of sports, real or fake. 

If you're going to put the poison pill out there, you got levy stronger stuff than that.

I watched the Rampage episode with Pac vs Andrade 2 on it last night. This got me thinking two things: One, I've missed the intensity of PAC so much! And two, does anyone know if his parents are still alive? What are the odds of them tying the knot this late in the game and legitimize PAC's status, so he wouldn't have to be a bastard anymore?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Yes we are against bleeding but we have no problem watching Brock Lesnar shoot elbow someone to the point they are a complete mess.  And in Randy Orton case also give them a concussion.  Plus the fact that Brock has hit the blade a couple times for sure

I will say that AEW does overdo the blood.  Especially on free TV.  These street fights probably should be on a PPV but women are having enough problems getting shown

• Like 1

It's ok to ask women to move cross country, employ them, and then fire them three months later after enrolling their children in school, but bleeding on tv is where they draw the line?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You know, I can't help but think that WWE knew full well that putting that statement out there was going to get people talking... It's so hard to tell with them, because they can simultaneously seem completely manipulative and petty but at the same time totally self unaware.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

People will hate it, but TK is gonna for sure bring up the KSA or Trish barking like a dog by the end of the day

There’s no way his old man will let him say anything about Saudi Arabia, that’s for sure,

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

Fightful is reporting that Cody is a free agent and working without a contract right now while he’s the TNT champion.

Interesting with Cody on The Big Show as well.  Very Interesting TL put the title on Cody - he must believe a contract is being signed soon