DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

On 1/6/2022 at 11:44 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

What's the all time best lights out moment?  The ones that come to mind for me are 'Taz-Sabu finally squaring off' at the November to Remember 96 (is that right?) or the nuclear explosion that was Jerry Lawler debuting at the ECW Arena.  The lesser stakes Cornette ECW debut was pretty rad too.

• Like 12

Having the TBS premiere back to back with the first TNT quarterly special was a mistake. The first Battle of the Belts was basically a throwaway show. Also, Ricky Starks vs. Matt Sydal for the FTW title? Matt Sydal is a jobber. Why even put that on the show? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, just drew said:

I know I have my quirks, but if I can't laugh at them then what's the point?

As the Joker says in Batman (1989): "Have you heard the healing power of laughter?" With what life throws at you, sometimes you need gallows humour or you'll cry. Good on you, @just drew. We'll agree to disagree on Sasha Banks ?.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

(apologies if already posted)

Tweeted 15 minutes after the Fightful report about WWE having an interest in Wardlow:

It’s a fine enough article but my goodness. If AEW were a mature company with a proper risk management program, “Tony K does some dumb shit on Twitter because he feels threatened when he reads something and it gets us thrown off the air” would be my top risk for the entire company.

Someone get the man some support. And I say that sincerely because I love the product and don’t want some reactionary TK Twitter nonsense to get them into deep shit.

Ding ding ding.

And as more people don't get renewed and leave the company and tell their stories, which will generate provocative clickbait, this has potential to escalate quickly. 

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

I know TK is the boss and everything, but the AEW social media accounts are controlled by Judge Jeff Jones (and I think Leva Bates) and they really need to get rid of Jones anyway.

Oh that would explain A LOT

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Ding ding ding.

And as more people don't get renewed and leave the company and tell their stories, which will generate provocative clickbait, this has potential to escalate quickly. 

It's happening already!

Here's some provocative clickbait from Matt Cardona: 

“I loved it. It was super cool. ...everyone was super welcoming. It’s something I definitely needed. Sometimes perception is reality. ...At AEW, it just didn’t work out at the time. There’s so many people there, and there just wasn’t anything for me at the time. No hard feelings, not to say I’ll never be there again because I would love to be. Obviously, there’s no doubt AEW is the place to be.”

And here's Baron Black escalating things

“There’s a certain trust level there and I’m very comfortable with everybody there. Everybody is friendly. We’ve been in Jacksonville together for almost over a year, so you get to know everybody, get comfortable, and make friends. There is a certain trust level they have there and I developed a lot of good relationships... I was more than ecstatic when we first went on the road and I was right there in Miami and I was one of the first matches when crowds came back. Our relationship is really good.”

Bang! Zoom! Feel the zing of John Skyler dropping heavy truth bombs

“That locker room at AEW was fantastic. Tony Khan was very gracious and kind to me when I was out injured, just to make sure that I was brought back on a regular basis, taken care of, even though I couldn’t wrestle. You know, but the locker room was great. It felt like a real team environment and I had a lot of fun matches there too that I really, really enjoyed like wrestling John Silver, wrestling Orange Cassidy which was probably my favorite match that I’ve had in a long time actually and I never thought in 2021, you know, if you would’ve asked me five years ago, I can’t believe I’m saying that right now. But, that match with Orange Cassidy was great. I got to wrestle my buddies, guys like SCU, it was just a lot of fun.... I was there for almost a year and eight months of that I spent on the shelf injured but, it was just a great experience overall and I think it really showed the world and opened a lot of people’s eyes on just what I’m capable of doing. Whether I have three minutes of TV time or 30 minutes of TV time, I think I kind of showed the world exactly what I’m capable of in terms of being a professional wrestler.”

And here's Danny Limelight venting his spleen on being relegated to the YouTube shows: 

“When I was at AEW, I was the go-to guy for big matches on Dark or Elevation. I was in the ring with Kenny Omega. I was in the ring with Jon Moxley. Konosuke Takeshita from DDT Pro. I was in the first-ever Elevation match with Jungle Boy. I was put in very serious matches, big matches, in my opinion. To me, they were big matches. Some people might have thought it was just Dark or Elevation, but to me, I was stepping into the ring with contenders for the championships, I was stepping into the ring with world champions, and I think I got to that point and I was put in those situations because I could deliver at any level with anybody.“

And Zicky Dice lets us all know what it is really like backstage at AEW: 

“I had a great time at AEW. It was awesome to be there. They have a great crew behind the scenes and everyone is so kind and polite. The whole vibe there is incredible. I was very grateful to be there. I always get these little goals in my career, little by little, and it’s cool to finally cross those off my list and see where you stand. Back to the drawing board and time to whoop some ass. Doesn’t mean I won’t show up there again. It was Shawn Dean who brought me in. I went and checked out a Nightmare Factory student show, I went to stop by and hang out. A few days later, Shawn Dean hit me up and was like, ‘Hey, want to come through?’ ‘Lets do it.’ I wore a suit in Jacksonville in June and I didn’t take that sucker off. IT WAS HOT! It was a great experience and shortly after that is when MLW reached out and IMPACT, I’ve been working Gallows’ shows Lariato Pro, and Scott (D’Amore) was around there. Everything lined up the way it was supposed to.”

Good Lord! People are cool and welcoming, there is a comfortable and friendly vibe, they take care of wrestlers when they are injured, build up wrestlers' self-confidence and give them valuable exposure, there's a great crew... it's hot.

It's amazing they haven't already been taken off the air. 

(I mean, I remember what happened with Big Swole recently, and it could happen again. And maaayyybbbbeee people are just being polite because they hope to be invited back some day...

But I was curious and I went looking, and this is legitimately what I found. Seems like most of the people who had a spell in AEW and didn't get a contract enjoyed the experience and are grateful for it and have benefitted from it).

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

It's happening already!

Here's some provocative clickbait from Matt Cardona: 

“I loved it. It was super cool. ...everyone was super welcoming. It’s something I definitely needed. Sometimes perception is reality. ...At AEW, it just didn’t work out at the time. There’s so many people there, and there just wasn’t anything for me at the time. No hard feelings, not to say I’ll never be there again because I would love to be. Obviously, there’s no doubt AEW is the place to be.”

And here's Baron Black escalating things

“There’s a certain trust level there and I’m very comfortable with everybody there. Everybody is friendly. We’ve been in Jacksonville together for almost over a year, so you get to know everybody, get comfortable, and make friends. There is a certain trust level they have there and I developed a lot of good relationships... I was more than ecstatic when we first went on the road and I was right there in Miami and I was one of the first matches when crowds came back. Our relationship is really good.”

Bang! Zoom! Feel the zing of John Skyler dropping heavy truth bombs

“That locker room at AEW was fantastic. Tony Khan was very gracious and kind to me when I was out injured, just to make sure that I was brought back on a regular basis, taken care of, even though I couldn’t wrestle. You know, but the locker room was great. It felt like a real team environment and I had a lot of fun matches there too that I really, really enjoyed like wrestling John Silver, wrestling Orange Cassidy which was probably my favorite match that I’ve had in a long time actually and I never thought in 2021, you know, if you would’ve asked me five years ago, I can’t believe I’m saying that right now. But, that match with Orange Cassidy was great. I got to wrestle my buddies, guys like SCU, it was just a lot of fun.... I was there for almost a year and eight months of that I spent on the shelf injured but, it was just a great experience overall and I think it really showed the world and opened a lot of people’s eyes on just what I’m capable of doing. Whether I have three minutes of TV time or 30 minutes of TV time, I think I kind of showed the world exactly what I’m capable of in terms of being a professional wrestler.”

And here's Danny Limelight venting his spleen on being relegated to the YouTube shows: 

“When I was at AEW, I was the go-to guy for big matches on Dark or Elevation. I was in the ring with Kenny Omega. I was in the ring with Jon Moxley. Konosuke Takeshita from DDT Pro. I was in the first-ever Elevation match with Jungle Boy. I was put in very serious matches, big matches, in my opinion. To me, they were big matches. Some people might have thought it was just Dark or Elevation, but to me, I was stepping into the ring with contenders for the championships, I was stepping into the ring with world champions, and I think I got to that point and I was put in those situations because I could deliver at any level with anybody.“

And Zicky Dice lets us all know what it is really like backstage at AEW: 

“I had a great time at AEW. It was awesome to be there. They have a great crew behind the scenes and everyone is so kind and polite. The whole vibe there is incredible. I was very grateful to be there. I always get these little goals in my career, little by little, and it’s cool to finally cross those off my list and see where you stand. Back to the drawing board and time to whoop some ass. Doesn’t mean I won’t show up there again. It was Shawn Dean who brought me in. I went and checked out a Nightmare Factory student show, I went to stop by and hang out. A few days later, Shawn Dean hit me up and was like, ‘Hey, want to come through?’ ‘Lets do it.’ I wore a suit in Jacksonville in June and I didn’t take that sucker off. IT WAS HOT! It was a great experience and shortly after that is when MLW reached out and IMPACT, I’ve been working Gallows’ shows Lariato Pro, and Scott (D’Amore) was around there. Everything lined up the way it was supposed to.”

Good Lord! People are cool and welcoming, there is a comfortable and friendly vibe, they take care of wrestlers when they are injured, build up wrestlers' self-confidence and give them valuable exposure, there's a great crew... it's hot.

It's amazing they haven't already been taken off the air. 

(I mean, I remember what happened with Big Swole recently, and it could happen again. And maaayyybbbbeee people are just being polite becuae they hope to be invited back some day...

But I was curious and I went looking, and this is legitimately what I found. Seems like most of the people who had a spell in AEW and didn't get a contract enjoyed the experience and are grateful for it and have benefitted from it).

I hope you're being compensated for this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I hope you're being compensated for this. 

AEW is a big enough company now that it's probably not the total utopia it was at its formation in 2019, but it's still a very fun locker room on the whole with much more depth up and down the card (while retaining a solid focus of focusing on showcasing home grown guys to go with the other experienced talent). However, that is not nearly as exciting as wanting violence and to troll from that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Who, me?

271553490_638065117617968_44909702027361

Repping the original AEW logo with the grey border as well which I prefer to the white. We both snagged the AEW Logo Premium Varsity Zip Hoodie (2019 Colours) last year at 50% off. It was my 36th birthday present from my Mum/Dad/Little Sister. It's a great hoodie, recommend it to y'all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Big Z said:

AEW is a big enough company now that it's probably not the total utopia it was at its formation in 2019, but it's still a very fun locker room on the whole with much more depth up and down the card (while retaining a solid focus of focusing on showcasing home grown guys to go with the other experienced talent). However, that is not nearly as exciting as wanting violence and to troll from that.

I’m sorry that’s what you want. Don’t know why you would. 

No matter how good the environment in the AEW locker room is, different people are gonna have different experiences, and not all will be positive. The next time someone comes out with a non-positive report, Tony's second-best option would be to say "I'm sorry you feel that way. I wish you the best," the best option of course being to not say anything.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

No matter how good the environment in the AEW locker room is, different people are gonna have different experiences, and not all will be positive. The next time someone comes out with a non-positive report, Tony's second-best option would be to say "I'm sorry you feel that way. I wish you the best," the best option of course being to not say anything.

I dunno. I've got a couple one-match guys and some pandemic-era Dark dudes who are think you're crazy for talking that way. Spicy takes from inside definitely aren't coming. 

On 1/11/2022 at 9:30 PM, Gordlow said:

It's not from AEW, but here is some rock-solid evidence that The Young Bucks have always been primarily interested in getting themselves over as if they were the Road Warriors:

Honestly I enjoy the Bucks a whole lot more if they worked more spots like thins into their matches on a regular basis 

• Like 1

I have no indication that the AEW locker room is not a great place to be, but let's remember that we're talking about professional wrestling companies here.  You kind of have to grade on a sliding scale.  The vast majority are a nightmare.

All I'm saying is, it may not be perfect, but maybe just a whole hell of a lot better than what most wrestlers have seen over their careers.

• Like 4

So AEW drew 5,100 to an arena that holds 21,00. I looked it up The Reynolds Coliseum also in Raleigh holds 5,600 for basketball. Maybe they should have ran the Reynolds. It would have looked better on TV.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Infinit said:

That sandwich she posted looks outstanding. 

Also, I had to do a double take at her typing out 4chefs. I thought it was 4chan at first. Now I want a site called 4chefs that does good in the world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2