DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

25 minutes ago, just drew said:

It doesn't make sense, ever, for a guy like KOR to put himself in harm's way deliberately by getting inside the arm reach of guys like Akam and Rezar. The lack of common sense.

As far as Sheamus goes, he's just the first big, rawboned guy I could think of who wrestles a hard hitting, rugged style. Dude got his clock cleaned by Yoshi Tatsu. I'm under no illusion as to what the result would be if KOR and Sheamus got into a real fight. My issue is that wrestling isn't presented like a real fight, and as such perception matters.

It doesn't make sense that anyone would start a fight with a collar and elbow tie up, or that hitting the ropes will propel you back towards your opponent, or that anyone would ever lay down for a 3 count, or anyone would be able to realistically hit a destroyer or yoshi tonic, or why anyone would just fucking lay on the mat and let the opponent go up to the top rope and then jump onto them, and yet...

Like, I'm trying not to me mean here, but your arguments are bizarre at best. Maybe you'd be better off just watching old UWFi or Pancrase or something.

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Quen was out with an injury for a bit.

This post totally confused me because it looked like everyone involved used the wrong abreviations for Dairy Queen, A&W and IHOP.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I saw this last post a minute ago, and then realized my 4 year old had left her hat outside so I ran out to get it. And I have a meeting in now one minute instead of the 3 I thought I'd have before...

but maybe what would be helpful and productive in this situation would be for @just drewto reference some specific things in matches that he thinks Danielson and Punk (as he's mentioned both names) currently do well when it comes to creating reasonable suspension of disbelief.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just my hang up. That could be. But I don't think it is. I might be in the minority here on this board, but there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of folks who no longer watch wrestling who used to. And to try to hang it all on the proliferation of tiny guys to the main event would be disingenuous, it's worth noting that nxt hemorrhaged viewers while Cole, Fish, O'Reilly et al were on top, and that AEW ratings are creeping back up now that Omega and the Bucks aren't corrupting every show with their pretentious nonsense. 

WWE has long been a company in which whoever the top babyface is, they're an unkillable superhuman who doesn't sell. Doesn't matter whether they're 330 lbs or 185, if you're the top face in WWE, you wrestle like you're invulnerable.

Shawn Michaels no-sold Vader.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, just drew said:

Maybe it's just my hang up. That could be. But I don't think it is. I might be in the minority here on this board, but there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of folks who no longer watch wrestling who used to. And to try to hang it all on the proliferation of tiny guys to the main event would be disingenuous, it's worth noting that nxt hemorrhaged viewers while Cole, Fish, O'Reilly et al were on top, and that AEW ratings are creeping back up now that Omega and the Bucks aren't corrupting every show with their pretentious nonsense. 

Ok.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

This perception is indeed YOUR issue, and I can guarantee that the vast majority of people here don't think it matters as much. 

It might not be a major issue here but I would say the “who cares wrestling is bs anyway, this will look cool” mentality that too many modern wrestlers seem to have is a contributing factor to why AEW is constantly in the 700K to 1.1 million range. Despite WWE probably shedding more weekly viewers than that over the past 10-15 years.

• Like 2

@Craig H, you're generally one of my favorite posters here. Are you genuinely ok with small guys paying absolutely no attention to prohibitive size and weight differentials in regard to their opponents?

Edited by just drew

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

WWE has long been a company in which whoever the top babyface is, they're an unkillable superhuman who doesn't sell. Doesn't matter whether they're 330 lbs or 185, if you're the top face in WWE, you wrestle like you're invulnerable.

Shawn Michaels no-sold Vader.

Shawn Michaels is also 6'1, 225. That puts him several inches and at least 20 lbs heavier than most of the guys we're talking about here.

1 minute ago, just drew said:

Shawn Michaels is also 6'1, 225. That puts him several inches and at least 20 lbs heavier than most of the guys we're talking about here.

I've been known to really gripe about Michaels griping in his book about Demolition not giving him enough (when, actually, they gave him and Marty a ton, just once they found a believable way to earn it primarily through double teams and using their quickness). @Curt McGirt, have you seen this one?

Spoiler

But I will admit that I also pick my spot on that and don't mention it every time Michaels comes up. It's not always productive to conversations to do so.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bryan said:

It might not be a major issue here but I would say the “who cares wrestling is bs anyway, this will look cool” mentality that too many modern wrestlers seem to have is a contributing factor to why AEW is constantly in the 700K to 1.1 million range. Despite WWE probably shedding more weekly viewers than that over the past 10-15 years.

This is a really good, much less confrontational way of saying what goes on in my head. Thank you.

Just now, just drew said:

@Craig H, you're generally one of my favorite posters here. Are you genuinely ok with Kyle O'Reilly or Bobby Fish carrying themselves like Haku?

They're not. Go and watch a Meng match. Hell, go back and watch the AOP matches you keep referring to. Look at how much KOR and Fish get fucking destroyed by other wrestlers and when they're beating someone, it's through strikes that are above the game of their opponents, good double team offense, and submissions.

I mean, this isn't a discussion worth continuing because you're very much stuck in your head on this issue. You've admitted in the past that you have a tendency to be like this for a couple of reasons and so I think it's best to just let you be with your own beliefs or ideas instead of trying to change your mind.

I understand that some wrestlers go over the top with their selling, like acting like their back is totally broken, or they're in a state worse than Shibata was in after the Okada match, or they stop selling a limb, or whatever. What you're positing now and in the past, that some of these guys, the Bucks in particular, act like the Road Warriors isn't realistic at all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, just drew said:

He was never 225. That's a worked weight. When he was the IC Champ with a big round belly he might have been 215. Six pack Shawn was a Cruiserweight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxB said:

He was never 225. That's a worked weight. When he was the IC Champ with a big round belly he might have been 215. Six pack Shawn was a Cruiserweight.

You think? I'm genuinely curious. I'm not always great at estimating that sort of thing. I'm 100% sure Sean Waltman wasn't anywhere near his billed weight of 212 in 1994, but that's about where it ends.

I was really close to Shawn at a house show in like 96 (It was when he was WWF champ and was facing Golddust around the horn) and I was shocked at how small he was.  I was pretty small then, too, so it wasn't that I was a big guy or anything.

Growing up on 80's WWF, I thought there were way more 400 pounders walking around than there probably are.  

Aren't there stories of College Football players who were expected to be high first  Round draft picks, but then they went to the NFL combine and dropped off, when everyone found out they were three inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter than everyone thought?

• Like 1

The best is Prichard's story about how Vince thought Hakushi/Jinsei Shinzaki was going to be taller. Did Vince think he was going to be 6'6"? I would like to know how tall Vince pictured him to be.

Sidenote: You people have made me crave Sonic now, and it doesn't help that this the part of the country where there is one every 5 and a half miles.

• Like 1