DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

My mind is blown at this Svengoolie information. 

My friend's dad is a HUGE fan of Svengoolie and watches his show religiously.  So of course I had to show him some Danhausen and he's a fan.  I think saying he's the Svengoolie of wrestling is what sold him on the gimmick.  But the poor guy's up there in age so I can't see him actively looking up Danhausen stuff.  But at least my friend shows him stuff once a while.

So with all that said I'm begging for Danhausen to be on his show.  Punk was on there a couple years ago so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Guys, come on, work with me here. We can all agree that this was great. It is the great unifier.

That's Jordan Devlin's finishing move. He calls it the Devlin Side, but the NXT UK commentator keeps mispronouncing it as Devlin Inside.

15 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Just went back and re-watched the Lucha Bros vs. Young Bucks match from All Out. I think at this point I have to say that as far as I've been a fan of professional wrestling, the Young Bucks might just be the best tag team that I have seen. For two straight years (one could argue three if you wanted to throw Esculera De La Muerte on there) the Bucks have been in what I view as the best match of the year. Revolution 2020, that match against Hangman and Omega was just so good that I said and still maintain it was the greatest tag match I've ever seen. To have three storylines all going on at one time during the match, along with the actual match itself was just absolutely top notch. Fast forward to last year and they put on an absolute BANGER with the Lucha Bros inside the cage that the crowd gobbled up. Again, the backstory and history that the teams had between each other, the ripped masks, the blood, the pop, Penta embracing his family after the match. Talk about hitting on all points.

I get it, the Bucks aren't some people's cup of tea in the ring and that's fair - but as far as presenting a good storyline with a good payoff, they are as good as anybody in my opinion. Granted, I wasn't around for the Horsemen or the Freebird days so that stuff may not resonate with me as much as 1999-now but I'll be damned if the Bucks aren't in the pinnacle of wrestling tag teams.

While not around for the 80's era of wrestling live, thanks to the power of VHS, the 80's sets here, the Network, and Youtube, I've seen a lot of 1980's wrestling (unfortunately did not get Portland set though). I have previously compared the Bucks to a modern version of the Midnight Express, they kind of an amologation of the MX (Lane/Eaton version), Rock and Roll Express, and the Rockers. Them and FTR are two of my favorite teams this century, and helped revive tag team wrestling as a top of the card act and integretal part of a company.

• Like 4

Andrade has to be the new wrestler that when you see his name posted next to yours you instantly cower in fear.

So this Dark Elevation had roughly 10 matches on it, and it was 47 minutes long. They are getting better at timing this thing out, while having so many matches on it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 7

re: Young Bucks
at their worst, @just drew is right. the Bucks no sell, mug for the camera, and are the epitome of "get our shit in". i can't stand them.
at their best, they can pull off some fantastic matches and great storytelling. they're pretty great.
i see more of the worst than the best, but a lot has to do with their chemistry with opponents (they're best matches have been against long time friends Lucha Bros and Omega/Hangman). and for me, whether it's a straight tag match. I find that the Bucks excel in matches that don't have to follow a structure, but their shit looks dopey when they just ignore the rules of the match (lots of blame to Rick Knox as well- i roll my eyes when i see he's the official). 

re: A&W
we have an A&W restaurant in my town. it's delicious. the fresh brewed root beer on tap is amazing. Danhausen would be way better than some of the service i've gotten there tho.

also, i had no idea Svengoolie was still around, let alone nationwide. We've come a long ways, baby!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Svenghoulie is nationwide now. His show is on every Saturday night on MeTV.

He has been on a Roger Corman thing lately.  The Wasp Woman was on last weekend.

10 hours ago, just drew said:

Ruby isn’t on the level of Punk or Bryan, but she’s a huge star compared to most of the women on their roster, which is the point i was trying to make. I could’ve been clearer about that. 

That’s kind of my point about the UE guys, too. They’re vanilla midgets, and I think TK’s gotta get away from hoarding those type of guys, but they’re far more useful than the Joey Janelas of the world…

My dude, if you're this caught up on size, maybe AEW is not for you.  Vanilla midgets...lollipop guild.  Come on.  Honestly, I mean no offense by this.  I'm just restating something I know I posted a while back: if you don't like watching smaller wrestlers, or if you find smaller wrestlers getting over on bigger wrestlers offensive/unbelievable, you're going to have a bad time watching a wrestling company built around smaller wrestlers.  Even Punk and Danielson, who you are seemingly giving a pass, are two small for today's WWE.

• Like 6

Ok

Dark Elevation 1/10/22

Lethal/Kiss vs Valo/Steeler: Not sure this should be a permanent thing but Kiss and Lethal worked well here. Kiss' forearm on the outside around the finish was pretty mighty. Valo has a look that reminds me of dollar store HOOK. On the one hand, someone should tell Tony the name of Lethal's finisher. On the other, every cutter should just be called a cutter to prove a point.

Rose/Sakura vs San Antonio/Blue: Not a good placement for Blue. It's sort of like when you'd have a mid-carder teaming with an enhancement talent on old Crockett TV. You knew who was going to eat the fall but not a good look. Rose and Sakura mesh well together by this point and the corner stuff worked exceptionally well on this night which is the definition of whether an Emi match works or doesn't for me. I'm increasingly convinced that they should probably turn Rose.

FTR vs Brinks/Hawkins: Cash is the third best guy in the company on a week to week basis.

Hirsch/Velvet vs Mimi/B3CCA: Nice to see B3CCA here. I know they're going with dissension but it's a shame as these two really balance each other well. I won't go on more about that out of the corner Saito suplex. I actually don't like it as a finish (it's Devlin's someone says) as it is too easy to counter and takes just a bit too much cooperation, but as a surprise once in a blue moon sort of move, it's excellent. I like this wrinkle on Hirsch going heel where she was still buddy buddy jock pride camaraderie with Velvet over the chip on the shoulder version she's been going with when Statlander is in there. Velvet tends to have one speed move in every match that's very impressive.

Hobbs vs Clancy: I kind of missed this because I was writing about the Saito Suplex on the board but I don't think there was a lot to see. Hobbs put him on the top rope. Hobbs broke him in half. Etc. Hobbs vs Martin should be a lot of fun.

Marshall vs Clayton: Couldn't give Clayton the win here? Are they building HOOK vs Marshall? The Jersey Shore people seemed mostly annoyed to be called out by QT Marshall and not someone higher on the card. Clayton's only 27 and has size. There are worse investments. No superplex/fisherman buster combos though. None of that.

Andrade vs Good: Part of Good's farewell tour. You wish that he got a chance to show just a bit more on offense, but if he was in there to take Andrade's stuff, he did an admirable job of it. The crowd was on Andrade over Flair (both) things, wanting chops in the corner. I wanted Andrade's back elbow. No one ended up happy. Then later they chanted for Charlotte and he teased the Figure Four before locking in his horrific arm destroyer submission. Generally he builds to it in the match so I wonder how much was an audible responding to the crowd. He's really on the cusp of being a legitimate contender for Page now. They should put him over Darby and give him a shot.

Acclaimed vs Matthews/Ace: Another match, another good Bowens performance. I liked the punchline on the rap on Matthews working in IMPACT. Kingston and the match structure built to him coming in but he didn't get a chance to show much. Acclaimed feel more ready to be title contenders than they were a number of months back when Lucha Bros won the titles and they were the first defense.

Martin vs Andretti: Andretti kept up for a couple of spots there. There's potentially a world without Dante Martin where they could use Andretti in that kind of a role. This is a world with Dante Martin though, so he ate the moonsault, which was so high that it was almost like an upside down clothesline.

HFO vs DO: I feel like we haven't seen a lot of Quen in the last few months. Commentary was leaning in to Private Party making mistakes, which is ok but they've been around a couple of years now and have Hardy guiding them and maybe it's best not to do that. I love the finish but you have to be a little careful on the camera angle. It films way better from the side than the front or back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Technico Supporti don’t mind small wrestlers. Danielson, Jungle Boy and Jon Gresham might be my three favorite guys to watch right now. What bothers me, and I think this is my core issue with the Young Bucks, too, is guys not wrestling styles that make sense for their size. I’ve been out on oreilly and fish since they stood toe to toe with AOP and threw hands with guys who could literally huck them into the next solar system if they desired. Not only that, but they expected AOP to sell it like they’d been shot. When you’re the size of Kyle oreilly, you don’t get to wrestle like Sheamus. It’s a major turnoff and is made even worse by guys like Danielson and Punk going on tv and doing exactly what they need to to establish themselves as killers without destroying the suspension of disbelief.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, just drew said:

@Technico Supporti don’t mind small wrestlers. Danielson, Jungle Boy and Jon Gresham might be my three favorite guys to watch right now. What bothers me, and I think this is my core issue with the Young Bucks, too, is guys not wrestling styles that make sense for their size. I’ve been out on oreilly and fish since they stood toe to toe with AOP and threw hands with guys who could literally huck them into the next solar system if they desired. Not only that, but they expected AOP to sell it like they’d been shot. When you’re the size of Kyle oreilly, you don’t get to wrestle like Sheamus. It’s a major turnoff and is made even worse by guys like Danielson and Punk going on tv and doing exactly what they need to to establish themselves as killers without destroying the suspension of disbelief.

Are there any matches of the Bucks you can recall off the top of your head from AEW where this is prevalent? I'd like to go back and re-watch it to see what you're talking about to have a better understanding. 

Don't think I've ate there unless it was on the road, but I always thought A&W was supposed to be like a Dollar Tree Dairy Queen (where Dairy Queen is kind of a Dollar Tree Sonic... or maybe it's vice versa?). Anyway now I am wondering if Canada has Sonic and Dairy Queen, and if not can we possibly loan them to you in exchange for King of Donair. 

...I will probably go to Dairy Queen for lunch now.

EDIT: Your Svengoolie feature on Saturday will be Tarantula. It is followed by episodes of Star Trek, Buck Rogers, Kolchak, Lost In Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel, The Invaders, and The Powers of Matthew Star.

See, isn't this better than arguing about the Bucks?

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

It's been a long time since I've gone to A&W because it's practically on the other side of town, but the last thing I got from there was a hot dog and a root beer float. It was good. Hard to mess up either of those.

Danhausen about to usurp Snoopy for A&W mascot. What a world. 

From what I understand there is a huge difference in quality between A&W Canada and the US equivalent. Apparently the Canadian version is superior in every way. I've only ever had the US version, once, and I wasn't impressed. 

Huh, I didn't know they had breakfast. 

Sonic and Dairy Queen are actually disparate when you think about it, besides both having shakes and sundaes and very similar burgers and fries. I mean Sonic has the drive up and nobody else does that. 

Because of this conversation I might even end up going to Arby's. Yeah, I said it. 

1 hour ago, just drew said:

When you’re the size of Kyle oreilly, you don’t get to wrestle like Sheamus.

I got news for ya, Kyle O'Riely would beat the absolute shit out of Sheamus in a real fight. Muy tai / jujitsu trained athletes are always gonna be able to tie weight lifters up in a pretzel. Sheamus is portrayed as this bar fighting hooligan character. But it's a character. He's a body guy that would gas out quick in a shoot fight setting. I say this as someone who agrees with you and doesn't really like watching O'Riley. I wasn't a fan of Bobby Fish either, until his AEW run. Something about the singles matches he's been working have been clicking for me in a way his matches never used to. But yeah man, Sheamus is built for show not for go. So your eye test is failing you here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@NoFistsJustFlipsthat's fair, and believe me, I've seen it. I'm well over 6 ft tall and 240+ lbs. I'm a big strong guy who probably grades out at a "B-" in Muay Thai and "C-" in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. My least favorite sparring partner is about 5'4, 130 lbs, but dude is a legit blue belt in BJJ and would be a black belt in Muay Thai if such a thing existed. His hip swing is always perfect on his kicks and they fucking hurt. We always joke that I look like King Kong trying to swat the planes down when I'm chasing him and he's kicking me. My issue is #1; most fans have never had that experience, and #2; As much of an angry fucker as the aforementioned sparring partner is, he'd never just stand there and try to corner me and impose his will on me. At that point he's toast. I'm gonna forearm him out of his shoes and call his wife and tell her she's the main breadwinner now because it's damn near impossible to win bread when you're in a coma. I think that's what bothers me. It doesn't make sense, ever, for a guy like KOR to put himself in harm's way deliberately by getting inside the arm reach of guys like Akam and Rezar. The lack of common sense.

As far as Sheamus goes, he's just the first big, rawboned guy I could think of who wrestles a hard hitting, rugged style. Dude got his clock cleaned by Yoshi Tatsu. I'm under no illusion as to what the result would be if KOR and Sheamus got into a real fight. My issue is that wrestling isn't presented like a real fight, and as such perception matters.

Edited by just drew