DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

I was under the impression that Marko had a shot on one of the prime time talent shows (The Voice?).  

It’s inevitable that some people aren’t going to make the cut.  But it’ll be interesting to see if AEW can NOT come across as the heartless corporate bastards that the E does.  Good fucking luck with that.  Someone always gets burned.

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

I was under the impression that Marko had a shot on one of the prime time talent shows (The Voice?).  

Yeah - it is the Voice but all it was so far was that he got a callback to audition for the tryout.

He was MIA from AEW TV long before the Voice thing came up. I thought it was notable that he was not booked to be part of the Jurassic/Elite feud, despite working some Dark matches during that same timeframe.

1 minute ago, EVA said:

He was MIA from AEW TV long before the Voice thing came up. I thought it was notable that he was not booked to be part of the Jurassic/Elite feud, despite working some Dark matches during that same timeframe.

In addition, Sammy's vlog changed the opening to remove Marko from it entirely and Marko has been completely absent. Even when Marko wasn't being used before, he would still be backstage and still be Sammy's roommate or travel buddy along with Fuego. They don't even mention Marko's name now. Not even a, "hope you're doing well" comment or anything. It has made me wonder if Marko rubbed some people the wrong way or Marko got dragged into whatever shit his brother was involved in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

AEW's use of the 'lights out' has been dodgy since the beginning.  It started with the Dark Order debut.  Clearly, or at least we/they learned, an ineffective way to debut two unknowns.  AEW does a lot of things very well, but 'lights out' has not been one of them.  I've enjoyed Black's use of it - save for the past couple weeks and the needless 'magic'.  His debut was, unless I'm forgetting, the best use of 'lights out' - only slightly ruined by Excalibur's awful 'Wait, that's not Tommy End' over-sharing call.  Everyone makes mistakes.  

What's the all time best lights out moment?  The ones that come to mind for me are 'Taz-Sabu finally squaring off' at the November to Remember 96 (is that right?) or the nuclear explosion that was Jerry Lawler debuting at the ECW Arena.  The lesser stakes Cornette ECW debut was pretty rad too.

Wasn't the first appearance of Sting after Hulk Hogan went NWO a lights out moment, followed by the cameras finally finding him in the rafters?

To me, it's a spot that's been done to death and I don't even like it as an entrance for Black. 

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Re: Marko. I think they just know I'm watching now and they want to keep me around?

I try not to get hung up on size but I think -1 is bigger than Stunt.

10 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Wasn't the first appearance of Sting after Hulk Hogan went NWO a lights out moment, followed by the cameras finally finding him in the rafters?

To me, it's a spot that's been done to death and I don't even like it as an entrance for Black. 

Maybe around Starrcade 97’ with the vulture, but early Crow Sting stuff had zero lights out.

• Like 1

To go back to the "dream signing" thing

In the WON, Dave was listing all the available names that AEW could sign and obviously they won't sign them all.

But to him - the folks they "have" to bring in are...

• Johnny Gargano
  • Keith Lee (Health permitting)
  • Ember Moon
  • Bandido

He did mention that he would also put Dragon Lee on the list but he knows "key people are negative on him based on the Cow Palace show and Hiromu Takahashi broken neck."

Meltzer all but said the Briscoes and Jeff Hardy are locks to be brought in

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

"There will be an announced change due to medical protocol to Saturday’s #AEWBOTB Battle of the Belts card."

Who's off the show? 

EDIT - Nevermind, forgot the show was already taped

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

To go back to the "dream signing" thing

In the WON, Dave was listing all the available names that AEW could sign and obviously they won't sign them all.

But to him - the folks they "have" to bring in are...

• Johnny Gargano
  • Keith Lee (Health permitting)
  • Ember Moon
  • Bandido

He did mention that he would also put Dragon Lee on the list but he knows "key people are negative on him based on the Cow Palace show and Hiromu Takahashi broken neck."

Meltzer all but said the Briscoes and Jeff Hardy are locks to be brought in

Read somewhere that AEW's coming soon to Cleveland, Ohio and that's the hometown of one Johnny Gargano.

32 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is KTB (Kyle the Beast)

And yes he worked a couple of Dark matches

I'm sure he's fine and all, but that name makes me think his gimmick is "Bad kid on a dirt bike, drinking a can of Monster, angry he's been banned from Call of Duty for using racial ephitets"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4