DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

Triple H has no allies left in WWE other than Michaels (*spit*) and Stephanie, right? That man is being frozen out. I want to see Cody vs. Triple H co-headlining with Danielson vs. Punk for the title at Wrigley lol. Let's go. ? Do a Wrestling with Shadows or 24/7 on bringing it together. "You see, I think it makes sense for me to get the win first, then I'll return the favour later." *Lionel Hutz escapes into retirement after squashing Cody*.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, alstein said:

That Jebailey signing got me back into fighitng game events.  A year later, I made semifinals in a game.  All because I wanted to see Liger and Kenny.

I know how difficult competing at the highest level in ANY game can be, so respect to you for reaching the semis! That's a great accomplishment. What game was it if you don't mind me asking?

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yes - check the general thread - WWE purged NXT of basically all HHH folks

The monkey paw trade y'all are gonna have to accept is that while you might get Regal you also might get the New Age Outlaws

Worth it for William Regal.

I have worried about Timothy Thatcher’s job security In WWE since the day he was announced hired.  There aren’t a lot of names in AEW that I wouldn’t want to see anymore just so they can hire people I may like more.

I have completely lost track of who all is available and when they are totally free and clear.

Would Stephanie trade up?   Her husband has proven to be weak physically and a failure in daddy’s eyes at putting pro wrestling companies out of business. She might just want a better model - one that doesn’t allow himself to be sick…like a psycho McMahon would feel.  

No, that’s silly.  They have those children and a steroid cycle they cherish. I don’t really think HHH and Stephanie are bad people.  It’s just Vince who is a sociopath and not worthy or capable of human emotions such as love.  He is as if The Grinch and Scrooge had a child.. and they deprived him of all human physical contact.

So…Thatcher, Gresham, Bandido, Danhausen, Toni Storm, Athena, Briscoes, Shane Taylor, Keith Lee, Chris Hero, Regal…that MIGHT be my full wish list for AEW.  Steen and GeneriZayn were on it before.  Owens staying with WWE has likely ended that duo’s AEW future before it ever began.

Ooh, they are starting with Hangman vs. Danielson

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I know how difficult competing at the highest level in ANY game can be, so respect to you for reaching the semis! That's a great accomplishment. What game was it if you don't mind me asking?

Calibur.  They were demoing it at CEO that year.  The game also developed a community that kept me sane during the pandemic, and I found a Dark Order-esque that helped me stay sane throughout the pandemic (I kinda ended up the nondescript but solid Reynolds of the group)

This hasn’t been brought up, but now because of that match, and the Britt match, the expectations of what a women’s wrestler is supposed to be able to do has changed in mainstream US wrestling. So if you’re a young women training, don’t think that promoters won’t ask you if you’re a person willing to blade for a match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Kennedi Copeland won the H20 Wrestling Deathmatch tournament in November and people complained she didn't bleed enough. Light tubes, thumbtacks, barbed wire, and she didn't get a full crimson mask.

But then she tweeted that she bled more than they realised because she got her period two days before, and they all got embarrassed and went all quiet and uncomfortable.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

This hasn’t been brought up, but now because of that match, and the Britt match, the expectations of what a women’s wrestler is supposed to be able to do has changed in mainstream US wrestling. So if you’re a young women training, don’t think that promoters won’t ask you if you’re a person willing to blade for a match.

False.

I can tell you on the independent level no one is going to require women to blade. Nor expect it. No one requires the men to blade either by the way. It's independent wrestling, no one is paying their bills from this. It's entirely voluntary. You have the workers that enjoy that style and gravitate to deathmatch wrestling and by doing so will be in companies where bleeding is going to be a large part of the storytelling. But you know that ahead of time. And it's your own choice. AEW is a national promotion paying you a livable wage. Them suggesting you bleed if you're comfortable with it is wayyyy different than an independent you work once every three months asking you to bleed for a $60 payoff or whatever.

Performers themselves may be more likely to suggest it because the taboo aspect of it is starting to fade for the women. But promoters are not just going to expect all women to blade now. That's just crazy.

• Thanks 1

It looks like Gabe Sapolsky was released as by WWE.  Was he mentioned with yesterday’s news and releases?  I don’t think I saw one mention of Gabe being among the releases announced on Wednesday.

Depending on his level of burnout Gabe coulda, shoulda, woulda make a fine mind to pair with the one and only (booker/creative) coach Tony K. I’m not saying that Gabe will help reinvent booking styles for the 21st Century.  TK hopefully wouldn’t feel second guessed all the time.  AEW just needs an experienced wrestling mind who doesn’t currently wrestle for AEW.  Gabe worked for ECW/ROH/Evolve/DGUSA with him owning those last two names on his promotional resume.  TK was a big ECW/ROH fan and he could use someone to bounce ideas around with.

Or you know, whatever…

Gabe's anger management issues and shady business practices (like paying people in t-shirts) probably put him on the "one to avoid" list.

• Like 4