DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

2 hours ago, A_K said:

Clicked that Twitter link, read down & saw Sammy/Tay post. That’s cool but what the fuck was that whole proposing on national television thing all about in the autumn? Wow 

A whole lot of personal stuff that I don't have any business knowing, except that realizing that actively choosing to put you personal life on social media sounds great until things go sideways and it creates unneeded drama if you are high profile.  Life is hard enough - but that is their choice. Not condoning all the internet trolls at all but the whole glass house thing fits too. 

• Like 1

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So was Jeff actually fucked up a while ago? We joked that it was a work, but I wouldn’t put it past him now honestly.

As in last month when the WWE released him?

Jeff and Matt say Jeff wasn't. The WWE clearly thought he was.

Either way - Jeff has a 90 day no-compete so unless Tony Khan's "soon" actually means March 9, it won't be Jeff

• Like 1

I really, really, really don't want Jeff Hardy in AEW. Him and Ric Flair are the two of the main guys I never want to see in AEW. Jeff would just feel like too much of a TNA signing.

Other than Keith Lee and a few others, I'd rather they keep going after people like Jake Atlas. Also, even though it's just based off of one match I've seen her in, they can feel free to give Megan Bayne the #allelite graphic any day now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chriskbrown50 said:

A whole lot of personal stuff that I don't have any business knowing, except that realizing that actively choosing to put you personal life on social media sounds great until things go sideways and it creates unneeded drama if you are high profile.  Life is hard enough - but that is their choice. Not condoning all the internet trolls at all but the whole glass house thing fits too. 

This is none of our business.  He liked one woman enough that he proposed marriage, he met another woman he liked more, and called off the marriage.  All of that is 100% legal and OK.  He doesn't owe any of us an explanation.  He doesn't really even owe the previous woman an explanation.  People are allowed to date who they want when they want.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

People are allowed to have opinions about stuff and public figures; the thought police around here is hilarious.

I don't really, except I appear to be the only person on the internet who actually thinks (thought?) that Pam is more attractive than Tay.

You are correct. However, two things real quick: 1) Who is this "Pam"? and 2) Why are you lying?

(And yes, from the previous discussion, I do know who she is as pertaining to Sammy, but I don't know exactly WHO that is. I'm just trying figure out the logistics of how someone being more attractive than Tay would even work? Is that allowed, first and foremost?)

• Haha 1

Hey, let's talk about something important, like you know, wrestling.

Dark 1/4/22

Angels vs Nese: I saw this last night and it feels like a million years ago now. In short, it was good. two guys who can hit a lot of stuff. Taz was fun on commentary with the scouting. I like that the moonsault missed. Angels is interesting as he's someone that sticks with me more in taking stuff or chaining things than actually hitting moves. There was a real sense of inevitability when Nese caught him out while he was trying to move out of the corner to hit the German. The pumphandle pilediver is a way better finisher than the knee, even if the German/Knee combo is pretty good. Taz saying that sometimes the pile driver just doesn't work was funny.

Anna vs Ellie: Smooth match for Anna. One of the best enhancement matches I've seen her in probably.

Gunn Club vs Perez, Green, Primetime: Green seems like a very useful guy to have around. Big but without the obvious upside as Liona. He's a guy you can put 10 or Hobbs over and really make it feel like an accomplishment. Perez vs Serpentico is probably the enhancement match I want to see the most right now. Fun commentary on this one between the fight over the name Austin and being perplexed by the finish where Austin Gunn just leaped out of the way like a maniac so Colton could hit a dropkick. Billy looks like he's having a lot of fun all the time.

Shafir vs Rossi: Interesting package with the music and the slow walk out. I'm torn since I want her to find some way to interact with the music more but the Iceman thing is probably the way to go. This didn't have any crazy throws, but she makes the most out of that hiptoss. I'm excited for her to be on the roster and I really think there should be a Deeb/Hirsch/Shafir trio.

Fish vs Ryzin: Less of a beating than I was hoping for maybe.  Ryzin stayed in it. My favorite bit was the leg screw and the kicks that led up to it.

Statlander, Hirsch, Velvet vs Michelle, Castillo, Tucker: The enhancement side felt like a pretty spot on GLOW team, and I mean that in the best way. Big "Moolah Trainees" vibe from them to the point where it could probably be an effective act somewhere. Everything with this angle has escalated pretty quickly and it's a good time to remember that at any one point there usually are a bunch of angles percolating in the women's division. Deeb and Shida had a set up for their fourth match with a video package recently and who knows when that'll drop, etc. I watch for the boop on the way out and Hirsch refused it. She was an effective jerk here, and even had a bit of a reason to have a chip as she was taken out and no one helped her. Velvet paying for the miscommunication was good. Statlander has a really deep Dustin-esque power slam that no one talks about. I'm all for heel Hirsch even if she is a great plucky babyface given her size.

Acclaimed vs Loco/Ray: Taz getting excited about Loco's name but actually getting it wrong was perfect. Ray moves like I think I would in the ring. Just lots of overshooting and flailing about gracelessly. I mean he still looked ok in there, but everything seemed kind of off. Acclaimed are looking better every week. I think they got put in the spotlight too early a couple of times but things are coming together

Hayter vs Wrenkowski: I thought a lot of this worked, to be honest. Pretty hard hitting. Hayter's big wind up on the chops is one of my favorite things about her. It was after Wrenkowski ate a big forearm towards the end that she stopped going up for things so who knows. Maybe spite, maybe shaken up.

Martin vs Hopkins: I like Hopkins a lot and I think he probably even deserves a bigger look (Taz was funny saying he was the true flier and should have gotten the Team Taz contract). I'm always irked he doesn't have the hat from the promo image though. Dante's funny. After he hit the moonsault, he had the Britt Baker look at the camera thing down and even winked and it was like a test pattern. They probably should have let him play Team Taz for another month or two just so he could pretend to be a heel and see if any of that stretching helped.

Sammy vs Ho Ho Lun: I don't think this was great. I have no idea what Lun was doing with his pacing but it led to the announcers sort of burying him and it was hard to blame him. You can be methodological if you're doing something meaningful in there or interacting with the crowd or well, anything. This was a lot of nothing. The world just ground to a halt when Lun was in charge. I thought he took Sammy's stuff ok but this was not how to make yourself in a Dark appearance.

Hobbs vs Cabana: It got a little muddled towards the end maybe but a lot of this was super enjoyable. Colt being vocal about Hobbs' strength gets him over while being funny. I thought Hobbs gave exactly as much as he should have. He didn't get knocked off his feet much.

Drake vs Pillman, Jr.: Drake is really good in there. He based well for Pillman early and when he took over after the Bonani distraction (with that great whip up into the ropes from the floor and whack) all of his stuff was credible. I'd say this was one of Pillman's better showings I've seen in a while. Shame he didn't get the leg hooked quicker off of Air Pillman. That's what tends to make that move work best.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Maybe you should realize that people who have differing opinions are allowed to have their opinions too without you feeling like they are policing your thoughts.  If you want to care about who some 20 year olds are dating, that's perfectly fine.  I'm 40, so I understand how fickle I was when I was their age with my dating life and I can't judge those people when they aren't doing anything I wouldn't have done in the same situation.  My mom told me something when I was very young, "your life choices are up to you, not me, not your friends, not anyone else."  Sammy can fuck the entire locker room as long as it's consensual, that's his life, he gets to do what he wants with it.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Maybe you should realize that people who have differing opinions are allowed to have their opinions too without you feeling like they are policing your thoughts.  If you want to care about who some 20 year olds are dating, that's perfectly fine.  I'm 40, so I understand how fickle I was when I was their age with my dating life and I can't judge those people when they aren't doing anything I wouldn't have done in the same situation.  My mom told me something when I was very young, "your life choices are up to you, not me, not your friends, not anyone else."  Sammy can fuck the entire locker room as long as it's consensual, that's his life, he gets to do what he wants with it.  

I cringe to think of living my 20s in the social media world. Not all progress is great for all of society

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's pretty clear that when you say something is 'none of your business' in response to someone expressing (a fairly circumspect) opinion that you are questioning their basic right to have that opinion.

Ultimately people can do what they like, and other people can judge them for it if they choose to. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Sammy Guevara did anything that should be illegal.

(To be clear, I don't even know what he 'did' - but if, hypothetically, it was at the shittier end of the spectrum, then I'd probably have an opinion about it. Engagement is not dating.)

But to be clear, and I agree with @NoFistsJustFlips - my issue was the more general enforcement of orthodoxy via rhetorical marginalisation of wrongthink. Which has become a large feature of the board in the last year or so, sadly perpetrated by often otherwise good posters.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

1 minute ago, chriskbrown50 said:

I cringe to think of living my 20s in the social media world. Not all progress is great for all of society

Yeah, I'm not someone who feels the need to update my social media with anything other than shit I find funny or interesting.  My personal life is just that, personal.  If you want to know about my sex life, you have to be the one who is having sex with me.  Otherwise, you'll be just guessing, because I ain't saying shit.  My 20s could have been a fucking TV show with the amount of random ass, stupid, and poorly thought out, decisions about who I wanted to date.  That's life, and I'm not judging anyone else about trying to figure this shit out.  

• Like 1

Oh fun the 13th convo about where Sammy puts his penis and if that's okay with people lol. ?

So I think the "dream signing" (which by the way was the interviewer's wording not Tony Kahn's) is pretty obvious. You have Dynamite in Cleveland next week. A big time Cleveland wrestler is now a free agent. Cody TNT open challenge. Johnny Gargano wins the TNT title in front of a hot home town crowd.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

This is none of our business.  He liked one woman enough that he proposed marriage, he met another woman he liked more, and called off the marriage.  All of that is 100% legal and OK.  He doesn't owe any of us an explanation.  He doesn't really even owe the previous woman an explanation.  People are allowed to date who they want when they want.  

Sammy should just be glad he isn't in NJPW.  Ask Taichi or Honma.

11 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Oh fun the 13th convo about where Sammy puts his penis and if that's okay with people lol. ?

So I think the "dream signing" (which by the way was the interviewer's wording not Tony Kahn's) is pretty obvious. You have Dynamite in Cleveland next week. A big time Cleveland wrestler is now a free agent. Cody TNT open challenge. Johnny Gargano wins the TNT title in front of a hot home town crowd.

Does Gargano feel like a "dream signing" in a promotion that already signed CM Punk and Bryan Danielson?  Does anyone?  I like Gargano more than most around here, and I hope they sign him, but if he's your dream, I kinda hope for you to have better dreams.

• Haha 3

I'm just vaguely worried that it's Velveteen Dream from how it was described.

So Gargano would be a relief compared to that. I can keep pushing the HFO Great White Hope Ace for him too and annoying all of you.

If it's about North American champions and he was being cute with that, Keith Lee would count as an option.

My North American dream signing? 9 time North American Champion Bill Watts.

Maybe not the right week for that one though.

• Like 2

It's wrestling and in a business where Scurl still gets employment in random places, so will Velveteen, but I don't think a major promotion ever hires him again. 

Gargano would be a huge disappointment as far as "dream" signings go. They have, like, 10 Johnny Garganos on their roster as it is. My hope is that Gargano goes to Impact, but also, if this pandemic ever fucking ends, that he can participate in the junior division in NJPW.

I'm sticking with Keith Lee as the signing, but I'm prepared to be let down.

EDIT: Plus, I think I recall Lee posting some more cryptic shit on twitter so maybe it all lines up.

Edited by Craig H

I'm not looking deeper but was the deal that the question was poised to him as "North American" by the person asking so as to cut off Japan? That means no one's being cute with it and Gargano/Lee/etc. aren't as straight to the top.

Khan's 100% dream signee would be Austin. He's got a ton of reverence for him but Austin gets a ton of money from WWE just to exist.

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Khan's 100% dream signee would be Austin. He's got a ton of reverence for him but Austin gets a ton of money from WWE just to exist.

I would love Austin, but if he comes in, then he’s gotta transform into the Southern heel manager he teased in WCW. Or start dressing like Blassie, and Pringle, and go by the “Stunning” moniker again. 

• Like 1