DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

3 minutes ago, Peck said:

If @Fartsauce and @Shartnado don't somehow end up in the next Crockett Cup then I've lost all faith in professional wrestling.

What happens when an irresistible Fart meets an immovable Shart? Two legends shake hands.

oh… wrestling is cool

Edited by Octopus
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

FYI Dish has Battle of the Belts listed as a sperate program from Dynamite or Rampage. Set you DVRs accordingly 

Also, on my cable at least, the switch from tnt to tbs isn’t automatic. Had to go in and manually set it to record. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

Do we know if the quarterly specials like Battle of the Belts will be televised or streamed by TSN yet?

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

I don't think TSN lists what they're streaming that isn't on one of their 5 TV channels, and it's not listed for any of those as of right now.

They list their bonus coverage, but clearly someone forgot to update the site.

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-direct-broadcast-schedule-1.1154152

Schedule isn't updated past yesterday. And it's not as though there isn't programming. Bonus NBA and tennis is running as I type this. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 9:02 PM, RunningFromAmerica said:

Anna Jay is pushed because she is young and smoking hot, The Acclaimed aren't *that* good in ring, The Butcher and The Blade are not average by any means...certainly better than Marc Quen (Kassidy has admittedly stepped things up recently). Best Friends....Wheeler Yuta pretty clearly isn't white, Trent Beretta is a pretty good pro wrestler. 

Plus there's a kind of shifting of the goalposts because one minute we're talking about who gets regular TV time and then the next we're talking about spots on the roster. The Blade isn't featured that regularly on TV, and it's not like Chuck Taylor is some major presence either. 

Scorpio Sky not only gets to fill a roster spot, but he's a former tag team champion and he won 'The Face of the Revolution' ladder match. He also had his own entrance camera for a long time. I honestly think quite a few of the referenced regular ass white dudes are quite a bit better than him at this point.

We went over the performers many pages ago though and Team Taz should be pushed to the moon....  All of em.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Bayne.jpg

I blame you, creeps.

**Fires up Google Image search**

That's right! I'm looking for sexy photos of Chuck Schumer. Mind your own damn business.

*Jimmy Valiant voice* "We gotta early contendah for post of the year right here bebbeh, oooh mercy!"

40 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Not to board police, but Rippa made a note in the general January thread that is probably applicable here.

The unwritten rule of the board is that all HOOK talk is allowed.

ELEVATION FEELINGS:

I gotta say, I disagree with some of the sentiment around here: I think Andrade could easily pull off being a world champion, even apart from the nerdy booking dreams of having Charlotte show up as a heat magnet. Everything he does just looks so, so good. Maybe he will eventually fill the AJ Styles role of wily, respected veteran that you can throw into the world title mix whenever you're not sure what else to do.

Also, I love that Megan Bayne has her own Dalton Castle's The Boys who are then, I guess, The Girls. Funny to be named Bayne and hailing from Athens. Good gimmick! Great bangs on the ref. Not enough John Norris-style bangs on the officiating crews these days. Great Tombstone. Would love to see her against Jade Cargill for reasons relating to the ratings.

Ray Jaz, the shooter, a high-end jobber name. I do not like watching Dan Lambert, but he absolutely excels at the old-fashioned art of making a live crowd boo you. Just a terrible, easily-hated face on that guy. Good at reminding the crowd of their dad. If Scorpio Sky could talk, what a great TNT champion. What a great IC champ.

I like the Mark Henry/Big Show/Schiavone commentary team. Very loose and chummy. "He looks like the Green Lantern." "He looks like the guy who ate the Green Lantern." [grim] "He looks NOTHING like the Green Lantern."  Would be fun to see the Dark Order have the tag titles for a bit. I think that's their natural cap at the moment.

Cartwheel DDT looks like a millions bucks. Jake Atlas could really find a lane for himself. Is it silly to think of an Atlas/Bowens powerhouse team? 

Enjoying Troy Hollywood's confusing hairstyle and Eddie Kingston ENFORCING THE RULES.  Would love to see a Jay Lethal - Adam Cole series.

I think I would have spent years saying how squash matches could never work in a modern context after growing up on early to mid-90's WWF, but AEW really has found a way to make them make sense. It functions as a showcase, on the side, for people who want to see it, and only elevates everyone involved. What a fun, clean way to manage internet fandom.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, The Idiot King said:

I gotta say, I disagree with some of the sentiment around here: I think Andrade could easily pull off being a world champion, even apart from the nerdy booking dreams of having Charlotte show up as a heat magnet. Everything he does just looks so, so good. Maybe he will eventually fill the AJ Styles role of wily, respected veteran that you can throw into the world title mix whenever you're not sure what else to do.

Oh he looks so comfortable now more than ever before. He’s also developed such a nasty streak with all that added upper body mass. I was surprised by how little he used lucha based offense here, and how good he was at doing the simple mean little things. I guess this was a demo for his eventual match with Darby.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Was Slick the only WWF (or WCW) performer to have a theme song that basically shitted all over him? It's like they came up with the music, and then later on had to come up with lyrics on the spot.*

*I think that's what happened with the WCW Slam Jam CD. Listen to the lyrics for Johnny B. Badd song. "And he looks like Little Richard!" A little on the nose, don't you think?

Johnny B. Badd's song also called him "that man from New York City" to rhyme with "pretty," even though he was clearly from Macon, Georgia.

28 minutes ago, Gorman said:

Johnny B. Badd's song also called him "that man from New York City" to rhyme with "pretty," even though he was clearly from Macon, Georgia.

24 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well to be fair, Johnny B. Badd was one contradiction after another.

It sounds like everyone was given an index card of vital stats and key character attributes they had to work into the songs. Some might be more accurate than others.

• Like 1

I still like that Barry Windham's song lets us all know that "he likes to beat people up, and he likes to have fun". Nice way to make it clear that we're not dealing with a one-dimensional character here. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3