DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

I did not see those matches but they were six months+ ago and she's been getting plenty of ringtime in Beyond and other places. Cagematch says she's had almost 40 matches since her last Dark appearance half a year ago which is almost twice as many matches as Jade has had in her entire career, or more matches in general than Anna Jay has had in her entire career. She's got a ways to go but the potential is through the roof.

Edited by Matt D

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Do we know if the quarterly specials like Battle of the Belts will be televised or streamed by TSN yet?

I haven’t read anything about Canada or the uk. Seems like we’re getting down to crunch time. Is anything listed on the TV guide yet? For me it’s already coming up on tnt, battle of the belts on the 8th from 8-9pm. 

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

I haven’t read anything about Canada or the uk. Seems like we’re getting down to crunch time. Is anything listed on the TV guide yet? For me it’s already coming up on tnt, battle of the belts on the 8th from 8-9pm. 

I don't think TSN lists what they're streaming that isn't on one of their 5 TV channels, and it's not listed for any of those as of right now.

God, SIGN TROY HOLLYWOOD!  I watched him wrestle Anthony Greene last week.  They should just start a division with Greene, Nese, Hollywood, Avalon and Serpentico.

• Like 3

Looks like they changed the name of Dark:Elevation to just "Elevation" which is a change I can get behind!

AEW Elevation: Tuesday January 4th (Japan time)

Riho vs. Valentina Rossi: Rossi is impressively tall and athletic. Riho looked good selling for her, and then looked really good making her comeback. Anyone complaining about Riho's "floaty physics" is not actually paying attention.

JP Harlow vs. Andrade El Idolo: Harlow has a great "80s jobber, but fit" goofy kind of look, with enough athleticism to make his reversals look believable. Andrade's finish looked very nasty.

Megan Bayne vs. Leila Grey: Bayne's entrance was great. Right up there with Andrade's. She has a great look (like a glamorous Amazon, if you will). And she does a pump kick, so she fits in with the rest of AEW's women!

Scorpio Sky (w/ Dan Lambert) vs. Ray Jaz: Jaz is another in the string of memorable jobbers, with a cauliflower ear and some nice amateur wrestling moves. It's fun to see Lambert on the YouTube shows.

I wonder if the folks complaining that AEW has signed too many people watch the YouTube shows. If you wanna see more dudes wrestle, and in particualr if you wanna see more ladies wrestle, it's not hard to do. It's also free. And you can skip the stuff that doesn't interest you if you don't watch it "live" (but, watching live, I'm pleasantly surprised by how interesting it all is).

Mike Orlando & Shayne Stetson vs. John Silver & Alex Reynolds (w/ The Negative One): John Silver is over like Grover driving a Land Rover through a field of fresh clover. Deservedly so. "He looks nothing like the Green Lantern" ?

Jake Atlas vs. Serpentico: No Luther ?My first time seeing Atlas. Hopefully it won't be my last. He is obviously good. I guess if he gets signed it's a tragedy since AEW already has too many really good pro wrestlers. "Stan Hansen is pisssed!" ?

Angelina Risk vs. Skye Blue: I'm happy with Skye Blue getting a YouTube push! Risk managed to show a lot of personality. Is anyone gonna complain about cartwheels in two matches in a row? I sure hope so!

Jay Lethal vs. Troy Hollywood: Cartwheels in three matches in a row! I hope somebody got fired for that blunder! Carlos Colon and Rene Lasartesse are rolling over in their graves!

Plus, AEW owes me a monocle. Mine popped out so hard it rolled under the fridge.

Hollywood got a chant (also deservedly so)! This was a great YouTube main event match.

Seriously, the YouTube shows are just chock full of good wrestlers doing good wrestling. If that's what you wanna see, AEW's gonna give you all you can handle and then some.

Also, if you wanna keep up with all the story lines, watch Being the Elite. I don't have time to watch everything every week, but I like and respect that AEW rewards their true hardcore fans by giving away so much worthwhile free content.

This was a hell of a nice appetizer before tonight's Wrestle Kingdom buffet. What a week this is going to be! Elevation (Jake Atlas debut). Wrestle Kingdom Night One (Shibata. Hiromu vs Despy. Shigo vs Okada...). AEW Dark:Just Dark. Wrestle Kingdom Night 2 (Naito vs Cobb, Tana vs KENTA...). AEW Dynamite (Dragon vs Cowboy 2!!!) (and Jade vs Ruby, etc.). AEW Rampage (Kingston, Santana, & Ortiz vs 2point0 & Garcia, No Holds Barred) Wrestle Kingdom Night 3 (NJPW vs NOAH). AEW Battle of the Belts (Riho vs DMD, and also Sammy vs Cody rematch). 

?

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Everyone saying the roster is too full so they can't sign Atlas -- you can stick it, brother.

We've even got people clamoring for TROY HOLLYWOOD! Night and day on the austerity front up in here.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So um… Troy Hollywood. He looks like a skinny pimp, who got woken up in the middle of the night, but he’s actually really smooth in the ring. Where did he come from?

Per Cagematch, he was trained by Jay Lethal and has worked primarily on the Florida indie circuit the last few years. He did appear on a GCW show in Ybor City back in April and two MLW matches in NYC in 2019.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Was Slick the only WWF (or WCW) performer to have a theme song that basically shitted all over him? It's like they came up with the music, and then later on had to come up with lyrics on the spot.*

*I think that's what happened with the WCW Slam Jam CD. Listen to the lyrics for Johnny B. Badd song. "And he looks like Little Richard!" A little on the nose, don't you think?

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Most of the stuff on Slam Jam was written by Hayes, so, yeah, it wasn't going to be "good" songwriting.

Jive Soul Bro was a remake.  The original artist was “Captain Chameleon,” who somehow also did the original version of “Grab Them Cakes.”  I have no idea how any of this came to pass and it’s fucking bizarre.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Matt D said:

@GordlowExcuse me while I throw away all my carefully compiled notes on big boot cut offs and cartwheels and flatliner variations.

I don't want to put to fine a point on it, and maybe this doesn't need to be said, but:

I love that you watch and understand pro wrestling "differently" from me. To oversimplify, I think my more "childlike" broad-strokes, just enjoy everything (that doesn't offend or bore or frustrate me) as much as possible, and your more "academic" detail-intensive, analytical approach are both totally valid ways to get really into pro wrestling. 

Also you are super-good at putting your thoughts into words on a page, so it really helps me deepen and broaden my appreciation of our shared hobby (obsession?)

I don't quite get people who seemingly "enjoy" approaching pro wrestling with a full set of preconceived "these things suck" notions and repeatedly pointing out every time one of those things happen, as if to show how "refined" their hipster sensibilities are. I REALLY don't get folks whose approach is to fantasy book or "fantasy run the company" and then moan when what happens is what is different from what they would have done. (Although I'm sure we're all a little bit guilty of both of those approaches from time to time.

I very much appreciate anyone who watches with an open mind and can write about what they liked and didn't like and what they wish had been done better, which is obviously different from "just looking for stuff to complain about."

TL/DR: please,have at 'er w/r/t too many cartwheels etc. etc.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Ok, let's give this a shot. Cartwheels and cutters count will return next week. Or maybe tomorrow. I do have a lot of fun with these shows in part because I love the opportunities in enhancement and undercard matches and it feels so different and fresh from what wrestling we've been fed for the last 20+ years and harkens back to these things I took for granted as a kid.

Elevation 1/3/22

Riho vs. Valentina Rossi: Henry saying her name sounded like fine wine and Tony saying it sounded like a hitman (as she was laying in some knees) was pretty good stuff right there. Forget floaty physics: the telling sign of whether Riho is good in there is whether or not she sets up the 619 well. She does. The double stomp off the top worked pretty well too. Lots of oomph and that big smile of a spot well hit afterwards. Bring on Britt.

Harlow vs Andrade: Didn't get to see Andrade's great back elbow in the corner but he took his head off with the kick, worked the arm throughout to set up the finish, and popped Henry and Wight big for it. Harlow really needs the full mullet but if he's not going to get it, he can work as a fake cousin to Scott Garland on the indies like how there were a half dozen fake Morton cousins teaming with Ricky over the last twenty years.

Bayne vs Grey: Yeah, they're taking her seriously here. Full entrance. I thought she looked ok there. Grey only has 43 matches on Cagematch too, so it's not like watching her in there against Masha or even someone like Davienne. But she had a commanding presence and got to show off the power. I bet we see her have a really good match with King at some point in the next few months.

Sky vs Jaz: Lambert getting some shots in at ringside was fun. I honestly haven't seen a ton of Sky but I'm looking forward to Page/Sky vs Cody/Dustin if they give it to us to set up Cody vs Sky. Jaz had some good looking 1998 juniors offense.

Orlando/Stetson vs Reynolds/Silver: Ok, Reynolds is growing on me finally. I really love his dumb reinera facebuster move and he's good working from underneath in these tags. What stands out the most with Reynolds and Silver is that they work a lot harder than Santana/Ortiz to work their tandem spots into interesting moments in the match. They don't just come in and maul jobbers with them. There's always just a little more and it makes a huge difference on top of how smooth everything looks and how inventive everything is.

Atlas vs Serpentico: A lot of Germans too. Atlas seemed glad to be there. People seemed glad to have Atlas there. I was glad to have Atlas there. Kingston seemed glad to have Atlas there and that's saying something. Serpentico kicked some butt for a minute or two. Atlas' finish is spectacular, but you knew that.

Risk vs Skye Blue: Risk shows a ton of personality out there, very much in the moment. This might have been the best Skye Blue showing I've seen. She seems increasingly confident. She's 22. She wrestled 15 matches in November and December (see, here's my new gimmick since Gordi's screwing with my old, earnest one). That's 1/10th of her entire career's worth of matches. Get those reps in. I don't know about that finish though. She should just use the flying body press and make the announcers talk it up like she does it some sort of expert way. That'll show 'em.

Lethal vs Hollywood: I started this one thinking that Lethal was really giving Hollywood too much for his state in the company. He needs some definitive wins and I wasn't familiar with Hollywood, but then it became obvious what was going on and all was well. Really great way to make a guy who is game, who can bring it, and who is up for being made. Maybe it was due to familiarity with Lethal, maybe not, but I'm more than ready to watch him again and find out.

I felt like we needed one other match in there. Like... a main event with the Wingmen vs Bear Country or something.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I know you're just kidding, and I don't want to put to fine a point on it, and maybe this doesn't need to be said, but:

I love that you watch and understand pro wrestling "differently" from me. To oversimplify, I think my more "childlike" broad-strokes, just enjoy everything (that doesn't offend or bore or frustrate me) as much as possible, and your more "academic" detail-intensive, analytical approach are both totally valid ways to get really into pro wrestling. 

Also you are super-good at putting your thoughts into words on a page, so it really helps me deepen and broaden my appreciation of our shared hobby (obsession?)

I don't quite get people who seemingly "enjoy" approaching pro wrestling with a full set of preconceived "these things suck" notions and repeatedly pointing out every time one of those things happen, as if to show how "refined" their hipster sensibilities are. I REALLY don't get folks whose approach is to fantasy book or "fantasy run the entire company" and then moan (or - amusingly - get angry) when what happens is what is different from what they would prefer to see. (Although I'm sure we're all at least a little bit guilty of both of those approaches from time to time).

I very much appreciate anyone who watches with an open mind and can write about what they liked and didn't like and what they wish had been done better, which is obviously different from "just looking for stuff to complain about."

TL/DR: please, have at 'er w/r/t too many cartwheels etc. etc. I'm looking forward to reading it.

ARGHHH! HOW AM I STILL MAKING QUOTE?EDIT BUTTON MISTAKES IN 2022?!?!?

uhhhh....

how about this?

270191741_1118638715344566_7270265340325

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

Gordi, since you went and reiterated and I doubt the mods are paying attention now that everyone stopped swiping at one another, I absolutely appreciate the sheer joy you express, and the fact that you manage it in a way that isn't performative for any specific audience or even about necessarily just about being part of something so much as it's you expressing your honed and very personal tastes of many, many, (many) decades and the effortless skill of just naturally squeezing as much enjoyment that you can with the efforts that these wrestlers and this company puts forth. Maybe it's due to your connections and interactions over the years, but you're as good as any of us in seeing the humans within these performers but still going along for the ride in spite of it (or maybe because of it).

But yeah, 3 cartwheels in three matches in a row and 3 flatliner variations in three matches in a row means that something is just a little askew. Too many big boot cut offs in the first few matches too. Let's see some more imaginative layouts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

She uses the Mongo Spike, and does the Mongo cover!!!

I think I’m in love.

Wait, is she related to him?

Megan jobbed to Thunder Rosa a couple of times during AEW Dark last year.   In the interim, she's worked Beyond and OVW and had a hot feud with Masha Slamovitch.  Masha has signed with Impact, so there is a slight chance they could end up beating the crap out of each other again.

If AEW is going to sign anybody, it should probably be Marina Shafir.

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Only in Atlanta can anyone thing 2 white guys doing rap for a wrestler's theme was a good idea.

I do want to know who wrote 2 Cold Scorpio's music ,as well.

You shut your filthy whore mouth.

That's Badstreet, Atlanta, Ga, to you...

• Haha 3