DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

27 minutes ago, alstein said:

I doubt any AEW talent will get to consistently work for ROH for example, and Mox wasn't allowed to work any US NJPW shows.

That was when Meij was still in charge. He was booked on battle in the valley in San Jose less than 2 months ago, and he may have been the main event and that’s on fite ppv one week before he had an aew ppv match (that got switched to the same date so then he was pulled). So everything’s different now. 

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Just to reiterate my point a bit, what option does firing someone open up that isn't already available? If Tony Kahn wants Johnny Gargano, he can sign Johnny Gargano. It's not an either or kind of thing. Oh shit he wants Gargano but the only way he has room to write his name on this piece of paper is by erasing someone else's name first. Bye bye Kip Sabian. That's not how it works. There's no salary cap or roster limit.

Completely get what point you're making here about people not needing to be fired/let go but just to throw another coal on the fire - while the Khan's money is of no concern to me, air-time is indeed a finite resource. 

If them signing Wrestler X means Wrestler Y gets less air-time, and I as a fan want to see more of Wrestler Y or want more reason to be invested in them, then that's going to affect my overall enjoyment of the show. We have already seen a lot of guys with promise shuffled down or had the amount of air-time get cut. 

If Tony and the EVPs want to make sure all of the friends they've made over the years get looked after that's one thing, but something like signing Jay Lethal, having him work 1 match on TV, then disappearing since, almost feels like a waste of TV time. That's not me saying I want more Jay Lethal, but there's someone else on the roster who could have benefited from that TV title main event spot who they actually have already invested time into and want to use going forward.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Raziel said:

A billionaire said he's gonna do something.  I trust his word.

Fair enough. But three years of demonstrated actions should count for something.

34 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Sometimes, things have to give - and to be fair - just like WWE, AEW can't stockpile on talent they aren't going to use. If it wasn't fair in WWE, it's not fair in AEW.

I don't think you're understanding the distinction between the two. They are not the same. WWE held Brodie Lee hostage for over a year against his will. AEW isn't holding anyone hostage. Kylie Rae wanted out and they let her out. It's about stability. WWE offered the Good Brothers monster money. They only made 8 months worth of it when they agreed to 5 years. What if they bought new giant houses because of the expected income? They're fucked. If you signed an equal AEW contract you can breathe easy knowing you'll get all 5 years worth of the agreement.

38 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I saw the Daniel Garcia IWTV Day in the Life Of thing, and he had a flexible day job while working indy shots. That was what, six months ago? He still works some indy spots. Does he still have to have a day job? Does he have more booking options that he can take more selectively so long as AEW approves? Does being associated with AEW help these guys with PWTees sales?

The best example yet. Do you think Garcia's life is better now or before AEW? Now what happens if in one year they decide they don't like what they have in Garcia and stop using him on tv? His life is still better off than not being in AEW at all. He has a consistent paycheck with job security and no need to work a shoot job, while still getting to work Dark tapings & take indy dates for extra cash. Now none of us believe that will happen because Garcia has a bright future. But the options are make a living off of wrestling, even if he isn't featured on TV, or don't make a living off wrestling at all and grind it out starving artist style without a paycheck. Having to work a day job. He is way better off being in AEW and not being used, than he is making indy payoffs. With Garcia's rate before AEW, he could have worked double shots 7 days a week and the cumulative total still wouldn't have been enough to pay all his bills.

**Over all the main point I'm trying to get across is my POV is the more wrestlers making a living off of wrestling, the better. The more power the wrestlers have in a contract, the better. We don't need quarterly firings for inflated stock reports. We don't need to limit the amount of wrestlers who get signed. Sign as many talented and deserving people as possible. Pay them what you agree to pay them. If they become unhappy with the arrangement, give them the power to leave if they want to leave. But the way WWE does it is not the way it has to be done.**

• Like 9

I think there's a big difference between saying, "Nese and Lethal shouldn't have been signed," and, "AEW shouldn't sign anyone else." I'm gonna guess most of us agree on the former.

And the more I think it about, I'd be stunned if there WEREN'T more weekly Turner hours of AEW added when the contract comes up. Too much money on the table, on all sides.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Look, I've been very vocal that I think they should use Dark better with video packages or brief mentions on the main shows, but one of the real strengths of AEW relative to WWE is that we're not seeing the same match up week in and week out. I really think that over the span of years having all of these interconnected wrestlers with history with one another is going to create a broader framework where they can dump almost any pairing together on a Wednesday night and have it mean something due to history and the way things have been rotated while not seeming stale. That's quite the investment both for viewers and the company but it's like the world's best version of 97 WCW where Greg Valentine could randomly come out on a Nitro since they go to great effort to make every match every Wednesday mean something instead of a guy just coming out.

I've been longing for the same with Dark.  The Universal tapings have benefitted from more and more promos.  They aren't always good, but that's not so important as the opportunity.  Dark Elevation would benefit from more of that.  Love the post match in ring interview especially. And yes, more video packages.  The packages could be cut down to stand alones for the Youtube channel working as a nice promo for whomever is being covered.  It's interesting that they release the 'Road Tos' on the same day as Dark and not in combination.  Those packages have been consistently good.  

14 minutes ago, killsteve said:

If Tony and the EVPs want to make sure all of the friends they've made over the years get looked after that's one thing, but something like signing Jay Lethal, having him work 1 match on TV, then disappearing since, almost feels like a waste of TV time. That's not me saying I want more Jay Lethal, but there's someone else on the roster who could have benefited from that TV title main event spot who they actually have already invested time into and want to use going forward.

The idea with Lethal was that he was coming off being featured strong in another promotion and would draw attention to Sammy's TV title defense.  A good plan that executed beautifully IMO.  That wasn't that long ago.  Since he's been working out nicely on Dark, building up a little, before they have him fight another good TV match in a losing battle.  Lethal is likely a mainstay in the lower to mid card.  It's a nice spot for him and crucially offers a quality battle/succession point for a Dante Martin or somebody on the rise.  The Jay Lethal and Tony Nese pick-ups for this reason are quietly two solid and understated late 2021 pick-ups.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

So...switching gears.

This was news to me until I saw AEW post it. Megan Bayne has a match on Elevation tonight and it's against Leila Grey so no entry level job duty for pro wrestling's best prospect, the Total Package Lex Megasus.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

oh that’s right, I remember seeing she got a special entrance on twitter. She’s a big woman. 

A big woman or a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG woman?

Mild-Shocking-Adouri-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 8

27 minutes ago, Peck said:

A big woman or a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG woman?

Mild-Shocking-Adouri-max-1mb.gif

Was Slick the only WWF (or WCW) performer to have a theme song that basically shitted all over him? It's like they came up with the music, and then later on had to come up with lyrics on the spot.*

*I think that's what happened with the WCW Slam Jam CD. Listen to the lyrics for Johnny B. Badd song. "And he looks like Little Richard!" A little on the nose, don't you think?

What I like about AEW is how the cream rises to the top. Yes, there are always going to be people who are wasted or lost in the shuffle. It is the nature of running a wrestling promotion with a giant roster. However, you really can't compare it to the issues WWE had. Look at Day 1, after several years of hoarding independent talent, WWE has Ridge Holland to show for it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Was Slick the only WWF (or WCW) performer to have a theme song that basically shitted all over him? It's like they came up with the music, and then later on had to come up with lyrics on the spot.*

*I think that's what happened with the WCW Slam Jam CD. Listen to the lyrics for Johnny B. Badd song. "And he looks like Little Richard!" A little on the nose, don't you think?

Most of the stuff on Slam Jam was written by Hayes, so, yeah, it wasn't going to be "good" songwriting.

• Like 1

Just now, Raziel said:

Most of the stuff on Slam Jam was written by Hayes, so, yeah, it wasn't going to be "good" songwriting.

"Don't Step to Ron" is so bad, man.

And what makes it funny is the guy with perhaps the best song on the CD in Rick Rude hated his song. I know musical taste is subjective, but come on, Rick.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And what makes it funny is the guy with perhaps the best song on the CD in Rick Rude hated his song. I know musical taste is subjective, but come on, Rick.

Only in Atlanta can anyone thing 2 white guys doing rap for a wrestler's theme was a good idea.

I do want to know who wrote 2 Cold Scorpio's music ,as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The Black Cat ripoff or Simply Ravishing? Both of those are classics.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

We’ll see.. Enhancement matches don’t necessarily show off everything these people are capable of doing in the ring.

Sure, but my recollection is that her footwork was bad and she was often out of position. In a four-minute match.