DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

58 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

I might be overrating Tay as she is so easy on the eyes, but I am clearly not seeing Penelope the same. And thats's ok - talk about a subjective criteria. Not sure I can remember two set of true tag women tag teams in a long time in the US like this. WWF had the some of the Japanese teams over. The current WWE tag teams never seem to have this true well booked program. Where do they go for here with all 4? Bunny has really shown through for sure - her work on Friday night was stellar.  The visuals of her and her ability to find the camera so well - true modern pro wrestler.  Not female - just a pro. 

Been some great stuff, well booked and for the most part all of the one on one matches have worked. For one, the heels always got their heat back even when the lost going into the Death Match, and the Death Match was well paced and worked. 

The two things Tay has that are elite is that she is a very natural in-ring babyface, and her offense kicks ass.  Those two things can cover a lot of flaws.  Natural babyfaces are hard to come by.

Tay is one of my favorite squashers.

Edited by alstein

Tony Nese was indeed a really bad signing. What's worse is they keep showing him in the crowd during matches. Who the fuck thinks this jobber is going to beat anyone? 

Fish was unnecessary. They have a million tag teams. Another with Fish and KOR is fine I guess if they didn't have a ton of other teams already. 

Is Big Show really needed? 

If I never saw anyone from Gunn Club ever again I don't even think i would notice.

Abaddon is basically sitting, waiting around until next Halloween. 

Do we really need to have EVERYONE in the Nightmare Family or the Factory signed to AEW?

Guess what? TH2 are still in the company. Why? 

I would probably cut Andrade. As much as I liked him before, I tend to think he's lost a step unless it's a big match like the ones with Pac or Cody.

Brian Cage? See ya.

And there's more I would probably cut, but that's at least a start. Even still, here are the somewhat permanent fixtures of Dynamite: The Elite, Sting, Darby, Punk, Eddie, MJF, Britt, the Codyverse, various elements of the Inner Circle or Pinnacle, AmDrag, Page, and Orange Cassidy. Out of those regulars, who do you shelve for an extended period of time to make room for others? You probably have to put at least a third of them on the shelf. Not that I have a big problem with that, but that's challenging to say the least. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Tony Nese was indeed a really bad signing. What's worse is they keep showing him in the crowd during matches. Who the fuck thinks this jobber is going to beat anyone? 

Fish was unnecessary. They have a million tag teams. Another with Fish and KOR is fine I guess if they didn't have a ton of other teams already. 

Is Big Show really needed? 

If I never saw anyone from Gunn Club ever again I don't even think i would notice.

Abaddon is basically sitting, waiting around until next Halloween. 

Do we really need to have EVERYONE in the Nightmare Family or the Factory signed to AEW?

Guess what? TH2 are still in the company. Why? 

I would probably cut Andrade. As much as I liked him before, I tend to think he's lost a step unless it's a big match like the ones with Pac or Cody.

Brian Cage? See ya.

And there's more I would probably cut, but that's at least a start. Even still, here are the somewhat permanent fixtures of Dynamite: The Elite, Sting, Darby, Punk, Eddie, MJF, Britt, the Codyverse, various elements of the Inner Circle or Pinnacle, AmDrag, Page, and Orange Cassidy. Out of those regulars, who do you shelve for an extended period of time to make room for others? You probably have to put at least a third of them on the shelf. Not that I have a big problem with that, but that's challenging to say the least. 

Looking at recent AEW signings, I wouldn't sign Big Show, Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly, Bobby Fish, Jay Lethal and Tony Nese. Probably skip Andrade as well. There's only so many you can hire with the big roster as is and TV time for the rest to get on.

Edited by The Natural

I think a lot of the roster who were there at the start or in the early days are probably on expiring contracts. I wouldn't be too surprised if by summer you see a lot of guys who have been there a while just disappear off tv. I'm starting to think Brian Cage is already gone. When's the last time he was even on TV or the youtube shows?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, supremebve said:

Jade Cargill is good looking in a way that you don't see on a regular basis.  I've never met anyone in my 40 years of life who looks like Jade Cargill.  The world doesn't make many of those. 

Oh I don't know about that. I've been watching DC Titans lately and have been fantasy booking a Jade run in to tag with Starfire and Blackfire for the past few episodes. I'll be in my bunk.

• Like 1

Khan has it on record that one of his biggest priorities in putting Dynamite together is having good, long and varied matches on TV every week. That’s why the show’s format won’t switch up. That’s a big reason why the roster is so big. That part is all by design, even if you may or may not agree with his goal.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zendragon said:
I saw this and was kinda confussed, but it might be a responce to Darius shitty comments about needing to be white passing to be pushed

Darius? Darius Martin? When did he say that?

ANYWAY, does anyone have any guesses as to who the three judges are going to be? Because although there would be a poetry to having Terry Funk, Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat out there, I don't see that happening. If they went with "Hangman is the 4th Champion, so the first three Champions should be the judges" and it's Jericho, Moxley and Omega, that would be good. Everyone would be expecting one of them to attack the winner and demand a shot, but you wouldn't know which of them was going to do it.

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/DLockPro/status/1477099186671820806

https://twitter.com/DLockPro/status/1477332792941895689

https://twitter.com/DLockPro/status/1477336490246123523

Darius Lockhart clarified his position. He was addressing colourism in Western society as a whole, not throwing certain AEW wrestlers under the bus.

15 minutes ago, Dog said:

Will the TNT and TBS championships be defended exclusively on their respective networks? ?

Given that they made it a point to have Cody defend the belt on the last Rampage of the year, that might be the case.

When March Madness rolls around (pandemic pending), will we have a truTV champion as well?

• Haha 3

When they announce the Owen Hart tournament, I hope they fill it up with the lower card guys. Instead of Danielson, Punk, Cole, and the like, give us John Silver, Dante Martin, Pillman Jr., and Jack Evans.

2 minutes ago, Ace said:

When they announce the Owen Hart tournament, I hope they fill it up with the lower card guys. Instead of Danielson, Punk, Cole, and the like, give us John Silver, Dante Martin, Pillman Jr., and Jack Evans.

Only big ribbers are allowed in it and you win by causing your opponent to break with laughter in the middle of the match.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Khan has it on record that one of his biggest priorities in putting Dynamite together is having good, long and varied matches on TV every week. That’s why the show’s format won’t switch up. That’s a big reason why the roster is so big. That part is all by design, even if you may or may not agree with his goal.

It is really only noticeable because of where the women’s match is placed. Outside of that they do spice up the placement of the matches, and segments.

Scanning through the AEW roster page and I see they have 95 active wrestlers which is just absurd to me - let alone with three hours of National TV. I get keeping it fresh, and having Dark/Elevation, but I think you could easily trim that number by 20 and still be in completely fine shape. I think this is part of the problem with having those C/D shows that do nothing but bump people's records up so they can be fed on TV. Gunn Club is a great example. They have done nothing of note on Dynamite or Rampage except for the one attack on Paul Wight. Next thing you know, they're being fed to Darby and Sting. 38-0 streak built up to be crushed in a week. Now don't get it twisted, I'm not implying they were going to be tag champs, but those shows are used to basically get people "somewhat" over and then be fed to someone.

Fuego Del Sol had the contract signing at the first Rampage and hasn't done anything since then. Kip Sabian hasn't been seen except for the concourse area in months, maybe almost a year at this point. PAC has had great matches with Andrade, but does anyone feel like PAC has moved up or down the card at all since - well since his debut really? You know the roster is only gonna get larger with names like Jeff Hardy, Briscoes, Keith Lee, Johnny Gargano, RoH's roster, ect. available as free agents and there's just no place for the Acclaimed, Lance Archer, Lee Moriarty, The Wingmen, Starks/Hobbs left on the card.

I get these are huge names available to you, but the best analogy I can think of is this. AEW was a bowl of ice cream and all it needed was some sprinkles on it (CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Adam Cole) to help enhance it... Instead, it's been covered in sprinkles and you can't even see or taste the ice cream anymore. 

• Like 4