DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I feel that the best case scenario for Anna Jay is she and Tay Conti end up the female equivalent of the Rock N Roll Express or the Rockers. Then at some point one of them turns heel, they feud, and ignites her career. I can definitely see a Barbershop moment happening, but it has to be WAYYYYYY down the line. Not the WWE thing of they tag for 6-12 months and then it happens. 

I can't picture Conti being a heel, whereas Jay is kind of mean on BTE and does it well enough.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, I want to be clear that I'm not trying to shit on Anna Jay for taking advantage of her opportunities or even saying that I don't understand why she's been given those opportunities.  Kelly Kelly was pushed because she was an attractive white woman, and never really learned how to run the ropes.  That isn't Anna, she's been working her ass off to improve and it's paying off.  

Kelly Kelly is a great analogy - she was drop dead gorgeous but yeah she couldn't go in the ring. Ironically, Kelly Kelly in some ways marked the beginning of the ned of the "Divas" WWE world.

Here is what I keep seeing - of the 4 women in the match the other night it was to me - Tay, Bunny (who is really surprisingly good in the ring), then Anna or Penelope. I give Tay a slight bump over the Bunny, but man the Bunny is just plain fun stuff.  Anna can get lost in there but man she worked so hard in the match. 

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I feel that the best case scenario for Anna Jay is she and Tay Conti end up the female equivalent of the Rock N Roll Express or the Rockers. Then at some point one of them turns heel, they feud, and ignites her career. I can definitely see a Barbershop moment happening, but it has to be WAYYYYYY down the line. Not the WWE thing of they tag for 6-12 months and then it happens. 

I was thinking the same thing other evening - who do you turn? Do you split Anna of from Dark Order with her I think RL boyfriend Jungle Boy? I think Tay could be the better heel but Anna could also make it work and it may actually help her character. What a delightful problem to have. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I can’t see Tay & Conti as the Rockers. Maybe Lex & Sting is more appropriate?

Lex and Sting always felt like two singles stars attached at the hip. Whereas those other two, coming off the street fight, feel like a real tag team. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Lex and Sting always felt like two singles stars attached at the hip. Whereas those other two, coming off the street fight, feel like a real tag team. 

They have a team entrance song, matching gear at times, a team name, a secret handshake. No team finisher though.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They have a team entrance song, matching gear at times, a team name, a secret handshake. No team finisher though.

This is apropos of nothing, but I hate their team name. Not just because it's the lazy portmanteau route, but also because Tay (phonetically 'Tie') doesn't rhyme with Jay. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Here is what I keep seeing - of the 4 women in the match the other night it was to me - Tay, Bunny (who is really surprisingly good in the ring), then Anna or Penelope. I give Tay a slight bump over the Bunny, but man the Bunny is just plain fun stuff.  Anna can get lost in there but man she worked so hard in the match. 

I think you're vastly underrating Penelope Ford. After he last few matches I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up the best of this group. Anna Jay is #4 as she is the biggest work in progress,  but the top 3 is really close in my eyes. I think Tay Conti is really talented and always improving, but she's 3rd. Penelope is second. The Bunney is my easy #1.

• Like 3

Ford needs to do waaaaaaaaay more to prove herself. She was one of the sloppiest workers of the division from the start. Like I said maybe these two should just lean into being brawlers to hide their individual in-ring shortcomings. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Anna Jay uses a Misawa style spinning leg lariat. With that tool they should do Total Elimination.

You'd probably have to have O'Reilly and Fish stop using the high/low combo if you were to go that route.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I think you're vastly underrating Penelope Ford. After he last few matches I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up the best of this group. Anna Jay is #4 as she is the biggest work in progress,  but the top 3 is really close in my eyes. I think Tay Conti is really talented and always improving, but she's 3rd. Penelope is second. The Bunney is my easy #1.

This may be the first time I've ever seen anyone other than her husband and *maybe* Rosemary ever refer to Allie as "above passible", let alone best person in a match.

20 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Malakai Black on Insta today posted:

"The colour will reveal the hidden. Wednesday two with a third to come."

Hmmmmm… King will most likely show up. Julia definitely returning as a heel. But someone else after those two?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, A_K said:

No. Scorpio Sky was recently in a significant TV feud. Hobbs has had more significant presence since late summer (incl Punk match; Ring Battle Royal presence). Dante Martin is 20, has had significant TV time & been widely presented as the next rung below the “pillars” for future stardom. So this is simply incorrect.

Scorpio's back in a tag team jobbing to guys older than he is and being Lambert's lackey. No consistent push there at all. He gets good TV time, though he comes off as 3rd on the pecking order behind Lambert and Page.

Hobbs? Dude had 8 matches on TV and lost all but two of 'em. He went almost 3 whole months without a TV match between losing to Adam Page near the end of June to beating Brian Cage in September. Even when Ricky's neck was jacked, they never really tried to do anything with him.

Martin does get a lot of TV showcase matches, but that's not really a push. Have to see where the Team Taz stuff is going, honestly.

16 hours ago, A_K said:

Wardlow: What exactly has he done other than stand around and be MJF’s muscle taking off his robe for the last 2 years? Lose to Cody on Dynamite and beat a few jobbers like Baron Black, Jason Hotch and Chandler Hopkins on Dark/Elevation in 24 months

Wardlow wins pretty much every time he has a TV match and they protect the hell out of him unlike Hobbs.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Malakai Black on Insta today posted:

"The colour will reveal the hidden. Wednesday two with a third to come."

I'm calling it now,  the mist changed Pac and he'll be joining Malakai Black's faction. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'm calling it now,  the mist changed Pac and he'll be joining Malakai Black's faction. 

I'd be down with that, but for me, I don't see the point unless they go with a Pac/Black vs Lucha Bros feud, and if Black is going to be teaming with anyone regularly, I'd think it would be Brody King. Still a cool possibility. Though I do wonder if they'll do any kind of follow up or fake out with Julia first.

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

I might be overrating Tay as she is so easy on the eyes, but I am clearly not seeing Penelope the same. And thats's ok - talk about a subjective criteria. Not sure I can remember two set of true tag women tag teams in a long time in the US like this. WWF had the some of the Japanese teams over. The current WWE tag teams never seem to have this true well booked program. Where do they go for here with all 4? Bunny has really shown through for sure - her work on Friday night was stellar.  The visuals of her and her ability to find the camera so well - true modern pro wrestler.  Not female - just a pro. 

Been some great stuff, well booked and for the most part all of the one on one matches have worked. For one, the heels always got their heat back even when the lost going into the Death Match, and the Death Match was well paced and worked. 

3 hours ago, Dog said:

Penelope really had no idea what she was doing in that submission match. ?

This is why I had her rated lower - that match was really painful to watch at times. 

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I can't either but I thought same about Bayley and look what she's done.

Tay turning heel with Sammy as smarmy, arrogant characters could work. Anna Jay has been purposely been a tough figure in the Dark Order, but unless you tirn part of the Dark Order not sure that happens. 

I guess it's progress, but is WWE really that better at the whole "diversity" thing when you look at how they treat their black champions?

Bianca Belair - unceremoniously jobbed out to Becky Lynch at SummerSlam in less than 30 seconds after parading all that good will from Belair's story with the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania. Even when Hulk Hogan actually did the job to people, he was never treated like this. Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch never got treated this way as champion. They were always extremely protected. 

Bobby Lashley - Didn't become champion until he was 45 years old. Look at the circumstances in which he won the title and even lost it. 

Big E - held the title for four months. Constantly jobbed throughout the title run. Loses the belt in eight minutes in a multi-man spam finisher spotfest to 44-year-old part-timer Brock Lesnar. All the while, Roman Reigns is treated as the true top star and face as the company.

And then look at how they treated Keith Lee on the main roster and that offensive BEARCAT gimmick.

I think what Big Swole said that is relevant is that they are bringing in too many people and they have too many wrestlers on the roster with too little to do when many of these wrestlers want to work and be on TV. 

Tony Nese was a bad signing. No offense to Tony Nese. OK, you've reunited The Undisputed Era in AEW. Now what? You already kind of set up Adam Cole with the Superkliq beforehand. But now you've got even more guys on the roster than you can really handle.