DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

For my fellow UKers:

AEW RAMPAGE TO AIR ON ITV & ITV4 IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

BY DAVE MELTZER | @DAVEMELTZERWON | JAN 1, 2022 2:26 PM

AEW has had a major upgrade when it comes to television in the U.K. with both ITV and ITV4 airing Rampage starting this week, as well as Dynamite being unedited on ITV.

ITV's main station is the second most-watched television station in the U.K. behind BBC 1.

Rampage debuts on Tuesdays nights at 11:05 p.m. on ITV4, with a replay late Thursday night on ITV.  It will be a late night airing with this week being at 11:40 p.m. to 12:40 a.m.

Rampage previously only aired on the FITE streaming service as part of the monthly pay service in the U.K. market where viewers get both Dynamite and Rampage live and commercial free.

The other upgrade is that Dynamite, which first airs late Friday nights in a revolving time slot on ITV 4, will have its ITV Monday night airing airing increase from an edited one-hour show to the full two hours.  

The show also airs in a revolving time slot usually starting at 11 p.m. or later.  While we only get ratings in the Observer for the ITV 4 Friday night show, which usually does anywhere from 100,000 to 185,000 viewers, the Monday night show when we did get numbers was doing more than 250,000 viewers making it by far the most widely seen wrestling show in the U.K.  That is due to the station as WWE programs are on a pay TV service with far less distribution.

Great news. (Itv is a free station for everyone, that's why it gets so many views, there is also a catch up free app too.)

Hoping we get both live or next day replays soon too. Used to love staying up into the wee hours to watch ppvs. I know some like Natural still do sometimes. I'm too old for that shit now myself though!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bryan said:

And while Tony Khan’s tweet was clearly not the right move (even if what he said is true), I don’t think people are being sympathetic enough to how insulting it might have been for him to essentially have his own personal experience growing up as a non-white person in America dismissed like that.

Swole is a Black woman in America who didn't grow up with a billionaire father.

Who's dismissing who here?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Great news. (Itv is a free station for everyone, that's why it gets so many views, there is also a catch up free app too.)

Hoping we get both live or next day replays soon too. Used to love staying up into the wee hours to watch ppvs. I know some like Natural still do sometimes. I'm too old for that shit now myself though!

Great news indeed and here's hoping we get live/next day replays. Yeah, depending on the card I tend to watch them live. Time difference is really something from the USA to the UK. If it delivers, it's worthwhile but when it doesn't, makes you feel worse. Love your avatar, @Leonidas. Robin Hood is one of my favourite Disney films to this day since watching it as a small boy.

Edited by The Natural

4 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I have at no point said I don't understand so let me give up.

I think I have gave somewhat of an explanation of why I think your viewpoint is fundamentally incoherent - noone wants to read a detailed philosophical breakdown of your position, and I would probably be accused of tone deafness or not reading the room or somesuch if I tried. You know this.

am-i-the-only-one-seeing-this-is-no-one-

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Maybe the local version. TBS The Superstation has been pumped out of my cable since we regularly got it in the Naughties.

Back in the 80s it was TBS that really leveraged cable forever. TBS meant Braves baseball, Georgia Wrestling on Saturday night and Ted tuner's favorite movies playing it felt like weekly. Had TBS one way or the other since I was in 7th grade in 1980. And yeah USA then had the MSG WWF cards. And then Southwest wrestling on Sunday

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The one thing I wish they actually did was took better care of those belts. Those things were falling the fuck apart. Nash in particular carried his like someone dragging their bag of trash to the dumpster or recycling bin outside. And Nash is one of my favorite wrestling personalities. Like dude...come on. Show more respect to the titles than that. 

This Kevin Nash? 

• Haha 8

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I lived around 25 year old black women. They don't look like that, my friend. ?

My mom turned 76 yesterday and aside from the arthritis, does not show the physical signs of a woman in her seventies.

Black don't crack.

Jade Cargill does not look like a woman pushing 30 years of age who also has a kid and a certified Master's in Child Psych.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My mom turned 76 yesterday and aside from the arthritis, does not show the physical signs of a woman in her seventies.

My mom will be 68 in March and has had bad arthritis for the longest (I wanna say at least 15 years). That shit ain't no joke. 

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Black don't crack.

Jade Cargill does not look like a woman pushing 30 years of age who also has a kid and a certified Master's in Child Psych.

Aside from like Angela Bassett, Sam Jackson, and a select few others (Lynn Whitfield and Phylicia Rashād for the longest), we do age like normal people. Poor James Brown aged like expired sliced bread that's been left out too long. 

Jade looks like a black woman in her late 20s/early 30s, which is completely fine. No one is going to mistake her for a college sophomore. If they do, I wanna know which college that is so I can swing by.

• Haha 3

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Mama’s Family would be a better lead-in to wrestling.

I want a Vicki Lawrence cameo in full regalia.

Sidenote: I had no idea Vicki Lawrence was from Inglewood and went to a (at the time) majority black high school. That's something.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Kinda late responding, but it’s Jade Cargill. In fact she probably has even less experience, and is being given a bigger push. But yeah, not too many.

Not really the same thing.  Anna Jay is good looking like 3 women at my gym, 4 girls who work at the local mall, and 10 bartenders within 15 miles of me are good looking.  You can find someone who is comparable to Anna Jay in the looks department, but we all seem to agree that is why she's been given so many chances.  Don't get me wrong, she's really fucking good looking, but not uniquely good looking.  Jade Cargill is good looking in a way that you don't see on a regular basis.  I've never met anyone in my 40 years of life who looks like Jade Cargill.  The world doesn't make many of those.  That's not the same thing.  It's like I said about Jackie Robinson, he had to be great at damn near everything to get his chance, all the other players had to be good at baseball.  Jade is really good looking, but that's not enough, she needs to be uniquely good looking to get that opportunity.  That is a completely different barrier to entry.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Not really the same thing.  Anna Jay is good looking like 3 women at my gym, 4 girls who work at the local mall, and 10 bartenders within 15 miles of me are good looking.  You can find someone who is comparable to Anna Jay in the looks department, but we all seem to agree that is why she's been given so many chances.  Don't get me wrong, she's really fucking good looking, but not uniquely good looking.  Jade Cargill is good looking in a way that you don't see on a regular basis.  I've never met anyone in my 40 years of life who looks like Jade Cargill.  The world doesn't make many of those.  That's not the same thing.  It's like I said about Jackie Robinson, he had to be great at damn near everything to get his chance, all the other players had to be good at baseball.  Jade is really good looking, but that's not enough, she needs to be uniquely good looking to get that opportunity.  That is a completely different barrier to entry.

And look how quickly they found her white counterpart in Kayla Rossi (another QT trainee). Once she gets good enough, she will be on the main shows soon enough. It's hard to really put those type of women in the same category as some of the other women in the roster because you can see why they would push those two. Post Chyna, there is a market for women who look like comic book drawings.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I mean, if we get a lot of Anna Jay in the looks department women who can wrestle I think we should start a fucking rainbow coalition.  

Wrestling has always been right place, right time - Anna Jay joining the Dark Order helped gave her more exposure for sure; the recent tag team battle has totally helped her too. Who knows where she ends up - WWE has had many really good looking women who never got the same chance. Run with it kid, it's a stupidly fickle business.  

1 minute ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Wrestling has always been right place, right time - Anna Jay joining the Dark Order helped gave her more exposure for sure; the recent tag team battle has totally helped her too. Who knows where she ends up - WWE has had many really good looking women who never got the same chance. Run with it kid, it's a stupidly fickle business.  

I feel that the best case scenario for Anna Jay is she and Tay Conti end up the female equivalent of the Rock N Roll Express or the Rockers. Then at some point one of them turns heel, they feud, and ignites her career. I can definitely see a Barbershop moment happening, but it has to be WAYYYYYY down the line. Not the WWE thing of they tag for 6-12 months and then it happens. 

• Like 3

Just now, chriskbrown50 said:

Yeah, I want to be clear that I'm not trying to shit on Anna Jay for taking advantage of her opportunities or even saying that I don't understand why she's been given those opportunities.  Kelly Kelly was pushed because she was an attractive white woman, and never really learned how to run the ropes.  That isn't Anna, she's been working her ass off to improve and it's paying off.