DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

If AEW continues signing more people just because they are established and have had TV time and experience in WWE, it's only going to exacerbate this problem further and not make it better. Their roster is too bloated. 

Develop and build who you have now. Up and down the roster, they have a fairly good mix. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

But how many people know that? 

As a black person I know. She don't look no fucking 25. Also, Anna Jay looks super young. 

I lived around 25 year old black women. They don't look like that, my friend. ?

Also, I don't know if you're read the several last comments, but Jade is basically an aberration. Shit, I would take Velvet as an answer over Jade.

• Haha 1

And Jade’s getting a push because she got attention from hanging out at Dark looking like a hot giant Amazon. Then people found her Instagram model account. Her push is based entirely around her looks. But then that’s the story of wrestling.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

And Jade’s getting a push because she got attention from hanging out at Dark looking like a hot giant Amazon. Then people found her Instagram model account. Her push is based entirely around her looks.

So you haven't read the thread clearly.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

And Jade’s getting a push because she got attention from hanging out at Dark looking like a hot giant Amazon. Then people found her Instagram model account. Her push is based entirely around her looks. But then that’s the story of wrestling.

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And to just say, "I THINK WE MIGHT HAVE THREE!" goes back to my point above. 

But that goes back to my point that your arguments feature constantly shifting goalposts. It's more of a kafkatrap to defend feels than a coherent worldview, and at this point I'll say lol no thsnks and wish you a good day.

Just now, RunningFromAmerica said:

But that goes back to my point that your arguments feature constantly shifting goalposts.

If you see that as shifting goalposts, then you're going to have a huge problem understanding diversity. People know that Tony Khan fucked up, but don't know exactly WHY he fucked up. 

They just see, "well, he got angry and reacted haphazardly to an ex-employee" and stop from there. Yeah, there is a much larger issue. And if people don't address it, then hey. Don't be surprised you see more instances of it.

Moreover, you cannot ask what the problem is and then say's it's way too complex when someone gives you an answer. As the young kids like to say, "that ain't it".

• Like 5

I’ll say this… Don’t underestimate Luger. He wasn’t the greatest, but I feel he was a lot better than people gave him credit, especially in 97’.

Oh he wasn't bad at that point, but compared to say a Scott Hall who was the litmus test of whether you could work or not (which is funny cause at 6'6" or 6'7", you would be normally the guy getting carried and not the other way around), he was LIGHT YEARS behind. Again, that's okay cause being a real worker wasn't his role.

Oh my God, The Outsiders were super underrated in 96-97, especially Hall. I remember not liking them holding onto the belts for so long, especially knowing what happens, but the Dusty finish at Souled Out did actually need to happen. The division needed Hall & Nash to hold the belts a bit longer, and they usually had the best, or 2nd best matches on the show. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Oh my God, The Outsiders were super underrated in 96-97, especially Hall. I remember not liking them holding onto the belts for so long, especially knowing what happens, but the Dusty finish at Souled Out did actually need to happen. The division needed Hall & Nash to hold the belts a bit longer, and they usually had the best, or 2nd best matches on the show. 

The one thing I wish they actually did was took better care of those belts. Those things were falling the fuck apart. Nash in particular carried his like someone dragging their bag of trash to the dumpster or recycling bin outside. And Nash is one of my favorite wrestling personalities. Like dude...come on. Show more respect to the titles than that. 

Speaking of WCW, and AEW. CM Punk’s return, and current feud with MJF is so similar to Piper’s return, and feud with Hogan. Right down to MJF/Hogan ducking Punk/Piper. Also the way Punk cuts promos since coming back, and the way the announcers fawn over him.

I want MJF to now threaten to beat up Punk in front of Larry, like Hogan did to Piper in front of his son Colt.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The one thing I wish they actually did was took better care of those belts. Those things were falling the fuck apart. Nash in particular carried his like someone dragging their bag of trash to the dumpster or recycling bin outside. And Nash is one of my favorite wrestling personalities. Like dude...come on. Show more respect to the titles than that. 

None of those WCW belts were taken care of. Even the world title eventually lost a plate too. 

None of those WCW belts were taken care of. Even the world title eventually lost a plate too. 

The top of the Big Gold was bent. That shit looked weird. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Moreover, you cannot ask what the problem is and then say's it's way too complex when someone gives you an answer. As the young kids like to say, "that ain't it".

Incoherence != Complexity.

Bear in mind I have Zizek as my avatar. Ok that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I would perhaps at least consider the possibility that I am comfortable with complexity and nuance.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
Zizek!

7 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Incoherence != Complexity.

You've never explained how it was incoherent. Just I don't understand so let me give up. Other people were able to understand my point. Probably cause they chose to actually listen. Which is exactly why Burgundy said her piece. Supreme said his piece, and I said mine. We're hoping people actually listen. If you don't want to hear people out, just say it.

We're going three years with this AEW thing, and I think people are trying to say the right things. However, they don't actually want AEW (or pro wrestling in general) to be that. They just want social media and online brownie points. 

• Like 3

I'm an unofficial mod so I am not going to be making any formal decrees, but just a reminder that while I think this discussion is healthy and one that needs to be had, to please be respectful to each other. This is a very sensitive subject to many (for good reason) so before hitting Submit Reply just keep in mind these issues go beyond wrestling and are deeper than just what Tony said or what Swole said. We are all wrestling fans here and most of us are decent people, so like with all social media, don't forget there is a person on the other end of the keyboard and keep the conversation educational/constructive.

Not aimed at any particular person, just from reading this thread a few of the comments felt like they were veering in the wrong direction so just a general plea for civility and understanding from all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You've never explained how it was incoherent. Just I don't understand so let me give up. Other people were able to understand my point. Probably cause they chose to actually listen. Which is exactly why Burgundy said her piece. Supreme said his piece, and I said mine. We're hoping people actually listen. If you don't want to hear people out, just say it.

We're going three years with this AEW thing, and I think people are trying to say the right things. However, they don't actually want AEW (or pro wrestling in general) to be that. They just want social media and online brownie points. 

Okay this will be my last word on the subject today and tbh probably ever on this board.

I have at no point said I don't understand so let me give up. Just because I don't agree with you does not mean you have not been listened to you and frankly it displays quite a large amount of arrogance to think otherwise. This comes back to my original point that 'valid' has become a rather bad faith indication of preference at best, and a proclamation of immunity from criticism at worst, rather than any kind of substantial claim about the strength of an argument. At some point, horseshoe theory about freeze peach types and 'diversity advocates' rings true.

I think I have gave somewhat of an explanation of why I think your viewpoint is fundamentally incoherent - noone wants to read a detailed philosophical breakdown of your position, and I would probably be accused of tone deafness or not reading the room or somesuch if I tried. You know this.

Ultimately a large part of the diversity movement is about external compliance, saying the right things, and yes, signalling, over actually winning hearts and minds (or indeed genuine understanding). It may well be a successful strategy, we will see, but I prefer not to play and I hope Tony Khan takes a similar view. If you think it is about winning hearts and minds...well as someone who believes (edit: the fuss over) CRT is a moral panic, has spent a large amount of time on Twitter unpicking bullshit by guys like John McWhorter and the like, and indeed noticed some problems with race presentation in It's A Sin (it's on HBO Max I believe)....yeah that ain't it either. 

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
typo, CRT clarification

@OctopusBut it has to be from the Anaconda Vice. If all of a sudden in the weeks building to the big MJF Vs. Punk Revolution match, he starts trying to get a sleeper hold over in his matches, it’d be weird what with Anna Jay’s finisher being that. Or he can go back, and watch old Tenzan matches, and start jacking his different Vice maneuvers to establish different positions in the next two months. 

Actually, maybe Punk isn’t losing at Revolution. If this weeks build means anything, it looks like MJF will loose, and force Wardlow to give him his “Face of The Revolution” Sonic ring. Then probably have a TNT title match with Cody. Loose that because Wardlow doesn’t give him the ring in the moment he needs to it to secure a dirty victory. Then go on to face Wardlow at Double Or Nothing. So Punk’s probably going to face the AEW World Champion at Double Or Nothing. He’s going to get plenty of time to establish all those Tenzan Buffalo holds.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I thought it was pretty well known by everyone that Black America (which is a group of individuals, not a hive mind) considers some people to be blacker than others. "Am I Black enough for you?" by Schooly D came out in 1989, and the sentiment wasn't brand new then, was it?

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I thought it was pretty well known by everyone that Black America (which is a group of individuals, not a hive mind) considers some people to be blacker than others. "Am I Black enough for you?" by Schooly D came out in 1989, and the sentiment wasn't brand new then, was it?

Not even the first song with that name. Billy freakin' Paul!

• Thanks 1

For my fellow UKers:

AEW RAMPAGE TO AIR ON ITV & ITV4 IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

BY DAVE MELTZER | @DAVEMELTZERWON | JAN 1, 2022 2:26 PM

AEW has had a major upgrade when it comes to television in the U.K. with both ITV and ITV4 airing Rampage starting this week, as well as Dynamite being unedited on ITV.

ITV's main station is the second most-watched television station in the U.K. behind BBC 1.

Rampage debuts on Tuesdays nights at 11:05 p.m. on ITV4, with a replay late Thursday night on ITV.  It will be a late night airing with this week being at 11:40 p.m. to 12:40 a.m.

Rampage previously only aired on the FITE streaming service as part of the monthly pay service in the U.K. market where viewers get both Dynamite and Rampage live and commercial free.

The other upgrade is that Dynamite, which first airs late Friday nights in a revolving time slot on ITV 4, will have its ITV Monday night airing airing increase from an edited one-hour show to the full two hours.  

The show also airs in a revolving time slot usually starting at 11 p.m. or later.  While we only get ratings in the Observer for the ITV 4 Friday night show, which usually does anywhere from 100,000 to 185,000 viewers, the Monday night show when we did get numbers was doing more than 250,000 viewers making it by far the most widely seen wrestling show in the U.K.  That is due to the station as WWE programs are on a pay TV service with far less distribution.

• Like 1