DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

1 hour ago, APO said:

Jade is literally the only black act in AEW that has a consistent push and/or gets TV time regularly. The Acclaimed are the only other act you could somewhat make a case for, but they usually lose any time they have a match on TV.

Powerhouse Hobbs.

Lio Rush

Dante Martin.

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So I think they will go to the judges decision on Wednesday. Danielson will almost lose during the final minutes, but he’ll win by split decision. We get the decisive third match at Revolution.

I think that Hangman wins before it goes to the judges (somewhere in the 30-45 minute range), and we see another Wrestle War '89 angle with one of the judges attacking him to set up the next program (Moxley would be awesome if he's able able to return).

• Like 1

Tbh been too busy with the New Year (by which I mean me and my gf made tasty nacho plates, drank Aperol Spritzes, finished Squid Game and watched all of It's A Sin - I did think Jill was a problematic (lack of) character, & there were 1 or 2 other interesting choices btw), but looking at Twitter (and a post or two on here)....the thing I really wondered was...what does valid actually mean these days because I see that word thrown around a lot.

If I assume for a few moments that Tony Khan is telling the truth about letting her contract expire (bearing in mind it would be legally pretty reckless for him to say it otherwise), then essentially he allowed her to save face with her story about applying her shadow work etc and essentially implying it was the driving force behind the decision (seemingly mostly hers) not to renew. As much as we indeed expect and love wrestlers to dine out on their stories and opinions upon leaving major promotions, if she was indeed effectively let go, then she was overplaying her hand a bit. 

Whilst yeah not sure he should have written that tweet, I can understand him thinking 'fuck this shit' and also maybe it's just cleaner to do releases in future.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
typo, & It's A Sin commentary
  • Like 2

I have a question to kind of stir away from this drama.

What's going to be the limitations of Dynamite moving to TBS now? Is there going to be an issue with saying shit and the blood? I would doubt it if I were gauging it off of 20 years ago TBS, but I don't really watch the channel anymore and I think they usually run like game shows and not as "edgy?" content.

They air Family Guy, and American Dad on there. Otherwise I’m not sure.

Back in the day the Turner networks were on WCW’s ass about blood. But nowadays the cable landscape, and what is seen as indecent has changed. Though we do know there is a line as seen with the Nic Gage match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Just now, Krone Meltzer said:

I have a question to kind of stir away from this drama.

What's going to be the limitations of Dynamite moving to TBS now? Is there going to be an issue with saying shit and the blood? I would doubt it if I were gauging it off of 20 years ago TBS, but I don't really watch the channel anymore and I think they usually run like game shows and not as "edgy?" content.

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They air Family Guy, and American Dad on there. Otherwise I’m not sure.

Profanity....I mean I see or at least saw American Dad ads in the middle of the day that had mature content. If that's happening at 1 or 2 p.m., I imagine it can be a little bit more risque later that night.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

I mean isn't one of thing people have constantly shit on WWE for is creative has nothing for you? Not sure why that should be a different with AEW. 

Because in AEW, there is no "creative" to speak of. Just TK and you yourself. Maybe you have a mentor type or someone willing to go to bat for you. 

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Profanity....I mean I see or at least saw American Dad ads in the middle of the day that had mature content. If that's happening at 1 or 2 p.m., I imagine it can be a little bit more risque later that night.

Cool, so shouldn't be any real change. I'm gonna be honest, I always thought TBS was in that tier of stations like CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS (basic cable I think it is?) that you would just automatically get over the air. Basically, when I would go and visit my mom in Tennessee back in like 98/99, I had one of those turn knob TV's with like 12 channels, but I got TBS so I just assumed that was always lumped in with those other channels. Because of my assumption of that, I wasn't sure if there were tighter parameters within their station than TNT. Hopefully that's not confusing lol

2 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Cool, so shouldn't be any real change. I'm gonna be honest, I always thought TBS was in that tier of stations like CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS (basic cable I think it is?) that you would just automatically get over the air. Basically, when I would go and visit my mom in Tennessee back in like 98/99, I had one of those turn knob TV's with like 12 channels, but I got TBS so I just assumed that was always lumped in with those other channels. Because of my assumption of that, I wasn't sure if there were tighter parameters within their station than TNT. Hopefully that's not confusing lol

For a long time it was. They went cable only in like, the early aughts. 

• Like 2

As far as I can remember, in Northwest Mississippi/the Mississippi Delta, we had TBS (channel 10 for us) and it was in that tier of channels. However, I believe the catch was you needed a basic cable package. I have an aunt who didn't have cable but did have an antenna. So she got the local ABC, NBC, PBS, and CBS channels but nothing else really. So yeah, you needed cable to see it. 

36 minutes ago, just drew said:

Because in AEW, there is no "creative" to speak of. Just TK and you yourself. Maybe you have a mentor type or someone willing to go to bat for you. 

Well this is just plain wrong. Creative isn't just a team of writers. Its the general bookers which while Tony is the Vince of AEW as the head guy, its well known the Bucks, Cody, Omega, & Brandi all have hands in it. 

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Well this is just plain wrong. Creative isn't just a team of writers. Its the general bookers which while Tony is the Vince of AEW as the head guy, its well known the Bucks, Cody, Omega, & Brandi all have hands in it. 

That's fair. I may interpret "creative" in the way Prichard uses it on his podcast: WWE's band of tv writers. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I think the biggest thing being missed in this entire situation is that as different as AEW is from WWE it is still pretty committed to maintenance of the status quo as far as who they push at the top of the card or even as a future star.  Then on top of that, when we discuss what black person should be in the main event, we are looking for people who are already at a main event level.  That doesn't make any sense.  If the problem is that black people aren't pushed to the main event, how the fuck do you expect to find someone on the black main event level.  That is like in the NFL when people bring up the lack of black head coaches, and then someone says, "Well, they just hire the person with the most experience."  So, black people should just stop trying, huh?  If the problem is that these opportunities don't go to minorities, you can't then ask for a minority who has the already had the opportunity.  They don't exist, which is the problem that we need to fix.  We can't fix it by looking for the people who aren't there, you have to look at the people who are there and give them an opportunity to fail.  

Black people are given chances to succeed, white people are given chances to fail.  When people talk about diversity and institutional racism, people start looking for klan hoods and burning crosses, but as bad as that shit is it's on the fringes.  The most prevalent and insidious part of racism is the complete and total dedication to maintaining the status quo.  No one expected Britt Baker to turn into the star she has become when she was put in that position.  She was given the opportunity to sink or swim, and it turned out she could swim.  Adam Page wasn't some can't miss prospect.  He was given the opportunity to see if he could take that next step, and he made it happen.  We  also can't look at Jade Cargill of all people and say, "see black people get opportunities."  Jade Cargill is Jackie Robinson.  I know she's not the first black woman in wrestling, but she is about as exceptional of a wrestling prospect that exists.  Jackie Robinson wasn't the best black baseball player, he just happened to be one of the most exceptional people this country has ever produced in almost every way.  Jackie Robinson was literally great at everything, and had to fight and claw to get to the major leagues to play against people who were allowed to just be good enough at baseball.  If you have to be Jade Cargill to get a shot, no one else is going to get a shot. 

Big Swole is an average ass professional wrestler, but black people don't get to be average.  Big Swole is no worse than Anna Jay, but Anna Jay gets to be average.  This shit will never change until black people get to be average at their job.  Black people get put into positions when everyone believes that they will succeed.  If there is a question about whether or not that a person will be successful, that position will go to someone else.  Black parents always tell their kids, if you want to get somewhere in life you have to be twice as good as the white people you're competing against...and it's true.  If someone has any questions about whether you are good enough to do something, the answer will always be no.  Over the last decade the NFL has had a huge influx of black quarterbacks who would have never got a shot in the past and that's great, but it's still not ideal.  Yes if you are Cam Newton or Lamar Jackson you can be the quarterback of an NFL franchise.  You know who you can't be?  Colt McCoy.  Colt McCoy has been an average ass quarterback for over a decade and he just keeps getting them checks.  It's perfectly fine to be average ass Colt McCoy, the vast majority of people at any position in any industry is overwhelmingly average.  You just can't be black and unexceptional in every way and expect to stick around like Colt McCoy.  We spent 8 pages talking about the two or three black people on their roster who get regular television time and it's Jade Cargill who is 1 of 1, Dante Martin, who is 1 of 1, and Powerhouse Hobbs, who in this day and age is 1 of 1.  Matt Hardy has a whole team of just regular ass white dudes (I know there is also Private party and that dude who looks like buff Low-Ki).  The Dark Order is full of just regular ass white dudes.  The Best Friends are just Orange Cassidy and his average ass friends.  You don't get to be black and fill a roster spot, and that is a diversity problem.  

This isn't true. It may have been true when Anna Jay started on AEW, but she passed Swole. Part of Swole's regression might have to do with lack of opportunity, but as of 1/1/2022 Anna Jay is the better performer.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Just now, just drew said:

That's fair. I may interpret "creative" in the way Prichard uses it on his podcast: WWE's band of tv writers. 

AFAIK, the only constant is Tony Khan. Those other people have some input at best, but those folks aren't only the level of Bruce, Pat, Gerald, Ross, and others have been over the last 30+ years. Vince isn't putting together matches finishes unless he felt had to. That was left to some of the agents especially key PPV matches. Vince had too much on his plate. I think when the Dark Order gaffe happened at the end of 2019, Tony took back pretty much everything and became more hands on with virtually everything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

AFAIK, the only constant is Tony Khan. Those other people have some input at best, but those folks aren't only the level of Bruce, Pat, Gerald, Ross, and others have been over the last 30+ years. Vince isn't putting together matches finishes unless he felt had to. That was left to some of the agents especially key PPV matches. Vince had too much on his plate. I think when the Dark Order gaffe happened at the end of 2019, Tony took back pretty much everything and became more hands on with virtually everything.

Hasn't it been said the Bucks run the tag division? Same with Cody, Brandi, and Kenny with the women? Omega has mentioned multiple times trying do more with the women's division. Swole said he and she butted heads multiple times and that he even thanked her for the Diamante feud because it showed others it was ok to actually pitch ideas to them. The exec roles the Elite took on have always been implied to be booking based.

Anna Jay is pushed because she is young and smoking hot, The Acclaimed aren't *that* good in ring, The Butcher and The Blade are not average by any means...certainly better than Marc Quen (Kassidy has admittedly stepped things up recently). Best Friends....Wheeler Yuta pretty clearly isn't white, Trent Beretta is a pretty good pro wrestler. 

Plus there's a kind of shifting of the goalposts because one minute we're talking about who gets regular TV time and then the next we're talking about spots on the roster. The Blade isn't featured that regularly on TV, and it's not like Chuck Taylor is some major presence either. 

Scorpio Sky not only gets to fill a roster spot, but he's a former tag team champion and he won 'The Face of the Revolution' ladder match. He also had his own entrance camera for a long time. I honestly think quite a few of the referenced regular ass white dudes are quite a bit better than him at this point.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The exec roles the Elite took on have always been implied to be booking based.

They have some input but the only booker is Tony Khan. I think when Cornette starting his feud with them, folks started making the assumption that they all had bigger roles than what they had. However, the guy also said he heard Orange Cassidy was making $750,000 a year when the company started. 

It's not a booking committee. It's Tony Khan. 

5 hours ago, just drew said:

This isn't true. It may have been true when Anna Jay started on AEW, but she passed Swole. Part of Swole's regression might have to do with lack of opportunity, but as of 1/1/2022 Anna Jay is the better performer.

I would say that's what he was kinda getting it. Although with Anna Jay, I would say her lows were not quite as low as Swole's and she showed some upside for her experience level. She and others (Penelope Ford really impressed me last night cause I knew she was talented but not that talented) are starting to step up little and that's a good sign for the division.

I think what supreme is saying pretty much shows that pro wrestling has too many blindspots to be what many people want it to be. Even when you compare it to football and do the head coach thing (since it's that time of the year with the coaching carousel), a guy like Eric Bieniemy is probably going to get a HC job but it's going to be the most no win situation you can put him in where the team stinks and QB draft class is not that good to start a rebuild. And that will likely be his only shot at it which sucks.

Bringing it back to AEW, I think pro wrestling is too inherently unfair for it to be where diversity is truly balanced. I say that because when you think about it, it's always going to be about the look and the upside people think you have. To me, a Jade Cargill kinda fits into that Lex Luger mold where the people who worked with Luger knew he wasn't that good in ring and early in his career, borderline bad with no grasp of the fundamentals. Even into like 1997, Scott Hall while he was wrestling Lex made fun of his inability to do a simple collar and elbow lockup. However, Lex was going to get EVERY opportunity to succeed because he was slotted as one of the top guys early in his career. EVERY one. He got fat contracts and a spot at the top his entire career and needed to be carried for most of it. Still a legend in the business though.

Moreover, people are still looking for the folks who have that star potential. Even before I knew she was moving to pro wrestling, I knew who Jade was because she already had a large IG following because she was in that category of fitness influencers like Lita Lewis, Stormi Knight, Qimmah Russo, Kathy Drayton, Massy Arias, etc. who were good looking African-American/Afro-Latina/Afro-Caribbean women with spectacular, comic book superhero bodies. So Jade had an audience BEFORE AEW which is something Swole didn't have really before she was with AEW even though people knew of her through the indies.

Instead of using the Luger comparison, I would compare it to say a Curtis Hughes and Dwayne Johnson thing with Swole being Hughes and Jade being Dwayne. Yes, both are black and both particularly weren't that good in the ring when they first started. However, Dwayne was going to get EVERY chance to make it. Why? Cause he looked the way he looked on top of being Rocky Johnson's son. Go listen to everytime JR tells the story of when he first signed Dwayne and how the women were looking at Dwayne and ogling when they were sitting down to eat at the restaurant. Even when he was getting booed or jeered and Russo and creative didn't have anything for him to do when he came back from injury in 1997, he was never going to get fired or sent back to Memphis to work on his game. He was going to get every opportunity and in WWF on primetime television. Meanwhile, Curtis got some opportunities but he didn't really progress in the ring like he probably should have. I mean I've been watching some of those old syndicated WWF shows from 1993 when he was there. He looked impressive in some of those matches but other times (that match with Perfect at KotR 93 specifically) he looked rough. He was NEVER going to get the same shot as Dwayne got. 

There is some overlap even with the white people on the roster because Anna Jay being trained by QT was going to allow her to get multiple shots. Fortunately, it looks like it's working out because she was able to be part of a great match last night (whether you credit how the match was agented or the smoke and mirrors). Point being she got to be below average to average for a good while, and she's going to get that opportunity to grow because the company feels she has star potential and that look of a star. Unfortunately, that's the story of pro wrestling. And it's never going to change as long as that's the criteria.