DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

If I were making a list, Cornette would be on it too.

-weird, obsessive food compulsions.

-anger over inconsequential subjects.

-encyclopedic knowledge about specific subjects.

One could make a strong case for him, too…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

That tweet is everything I hate about Twitter and social media. There is such a thing about being too accessible as the president of a wrestling company. 

Facts, that was the point I was making. It's goes for the Bucks, Cody, Jericho and Brandi as well. I have very thick skin and I could care less how dumb these guys make themselves look in the shark infested waters of Wrestling Twitter man but what can you say 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, just drew said:

If I were making a list, Cornette would be on it too.

-weird, obsessive food compulsions.

-anger over inconsequential subjects.

-encyclopedic knowledge about specific subjects.

One could make a strong case for him, too…

I dunno what Cornette has and it might not be as bad as what Meltzer has, but Cornette has something. That much I know. This goes especially if you watch some of his promos in the 80s. I get his gimmick was loudmouth, rich momma's boy from Louisville, but the way he was yapping many times and some of the randomness therein. Either it was coke or he was dealing with something undiagnosed. I don't think Cornette has ever done a recreational drug in his life so I'm going with the latter.

• Like 3

I think what Cornette has is he grew up with very mouthy parents. He doesn’t have the look of somebody with something undiagnosed. He sounds like a guy who used to yell garbage at opposing players at the plate. A loud mouth, with a quick wit to insult.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think what Cornette has is he grew up with very mouthy parents. He doesn’t have the look of somebody with something undiagnosed. He sounds like a guy who used to yell garbage at opposing players at the plate. A loud mouth, with a quick wit to insult.

I didn't grow up with both parents unfortunately, but I did grow up with a black woman who was an extremely well versed shit talker. She didn't move from random topic to topic like Jim did in some of his promos. Part of it might be trying to be witty and wrestling not being scripted at the time (see his Ronnie Garvin Challenger line as an example), but then it kinda manifested in real life Jim Cornette when he talks about certain subjects. Again, part of it might be when I was listening Brian Last did a poor job of rangling Cornette in staying on subject. However, I see something being there as drew pointed out. 

Certainly haven't met TK personally, but based on how he presents himself on live shows and interviews, he comes off as smart, yet childlike. Also seems to struggle directly addressing people and, in the case of Swole, blurts out the first thing that comes out of his mouth rather than considering what to say.

I turn 48 in February. Last fall, I was diagnosed as being on the spectrum. I've always known I was a bit different, but I was unsure/afraid to find out what it is. Watching some of TK's behaviors and gestures, I see some of that in me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

After interacting with Cornette once, the two things I took notice of was exactly that, and the fact he knew where every single penny was in a room.

1 hour ago, just drew said:

So, as a white dude I'm going to try very, very hard to not overstep. I have some questions, though.

I've noticed elsewhere that folks have a problem with the state of the roster as it pertains to African American men. At the time the company was formed, who was out there that had any sort of notoriety that AEW could've signed? Kofi, Woods, Big E, Keith Lee, Lashley, Swerve Scott, Crews, Alexander, Benjamin, Trey Miguel, Rich Swann, the Mack... all elsewhere. I feel they've actually done a fairly good job getting the Acclaim over. Private Party has been used regularly, if presented a bit inconsistently. Lee Johnson has a bright future. Lee Moriarty. Shawn Dean. Lockhart. Will Hobbs. I imagine Keith Lee's price just went up, and for his sake I hope so. I just can't figure out what a reasonable expectation for black male main eventers given that there weren't any high level free agents out there at the time AEW was formed. Hell, Lee is the first real "A list" free agent that fits that bill in a year or so. 

Secondly, to the naked eye, AEW's roster is diverse. There have been four women's world champions in AEW. Exactly one has been white. They've gotten firmly behind the Lucha Brothers, P&P, Sammy Guevara, Jade Cargill, Thunder Rosa, Dante Martin, Ricky Starks and Scorpio Sky. Could they use a couple upper card male performers? 100%. But there are folks making it sound like AEW's roster looks like the crowd of goofs that stormed the Capitol last year. It ain't monochrome. 

Thirdly, Big Swole is a very, very average performer. She's probably reached her ceiling as a women's wrestler in a mainstream promotion. It's very hard for me not to be cynical about the motivation behind those comments.

Lastly, what TK said is inexcusable. As someone who has dealt with a very mild ASD diagnosis my adolescent and adult life, Tony's response, along with some other things I've seen from him, makes me wonder if he has some undiagnosed ASD as well. It doesn't excuse what he said, it would just explain some of his behavior. FWIW, I personally believe autism is much more common than we think it is, particularly in professional athletes & entertainers.

Agree with most of this, but I can emphathasize with TK some on this. He never should have responded in kind like that, especially in such a public forum. That being said, a former college roommate introduced me to the ten times worse concept that I probably ascribe to too much. If someone wrongs you, you try to get them back ten times worse. I certainly have been not been missing Swole from Dynamite and later Rampage, and there a ton of more talented women on the roster that deserved to be featured on the main shows. I did not bat an eye when her contract expired and was not renewed. Not a smart business responses by TK and he should have taken the high road (Especially as such a front facing owner of the company), but also will not lose sleep over it and not stop plenty of discretionary income on AEW products/watching all of the main TV/BTE and some of the other programs).

"these 7 wrestlers all won on tv this month" is certainly an interesting defense too.

"Okay, we can't just note the people who are employed, let's note the people who won matches on TV"

Tony really needs a "John Barron" to handle the stuff that Tony Fuckin Khan shouldn't be saying. You can't handle some things in public like a message post poster from 20 years ago.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

You can't handle some things in public like a message post poster from 20 years ago.

Unless you're Dana White, then you can get bought out for $300 million and STILL somehow keep your job where you already were getting paid a ton of money.

• Like 2

Twitter is the single worst thing to happen to the world. Literally amplified peoples worst traits.  

TK should have put his phone down and walked away, I would guess most people realise AEW does have a very diverse roster, especially the womens division, and most people would have went “well I feel bad Swole isn’t there, but I don’t think she’s 100% correct on that point”

Also Sammy picked a great time to post this

Talk about burying bad news!

Edited by Ultimo Necro
Sammy Sammy Sammy
  • Like 2

There are lots of things that I find worth criticizing about AEW, lack of diversity is not one thing. Swole didn't get renewed because she's really not that good, and that's OK, it's how a business where you have to be really fucking good to get paid well works. 

That being said, it's not the first time Khan acts like a juvenile when confronted with criticism. He is not reacting like a guy in his position should. I have a few things on my mind as to why that is so, but it is all speculation since I don't know the guy... 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I'm not trying to be khan-trary, but perhaps Tony khan-sumed too much alcohol and that affected his self-khan-trol? Those tweets seem to khan-tradict his previously khan-scientious khan-duct. He should maybe hire a social media khan-sultant to help him avoid khan-tinuing khan-troversy in the future. Probably, a public show of khan-trition would khan-tribute to mollifying all khan-cerned parties.

Also, nice of Sammy to try and divert some of the heat away with that post. 

• Haha 4

TK always reacts way too quickly to criticism and it’s always being obvious on media scrums and the like. Any time anything remotely approaches criticism he acts like an ass and dismisses whatever was said. It’s always been a bad look and was bound to blow up one day. Someone within AEW should really recommend he gets someone to filter his tweets before they come out but I can imagine he reacts in the same way if this is suggested.

Swole’s comments about the internal structure in the company were pretty fair criticism and came off well. but I feel the diversity card was just a way for her to find an excuse to being let go instead of taking any blame for really not being good enough.

As it has been mentioned, apart from the World Title picture, the company has heavily featured wrestlers from a lot of backgrounds in a pretty consistent way.

But Tony’s tweet came off as very impulsive and not well thought out, shifting the attention to him in a bad way as expected. He should know better at this point but I feel he keeps getting worse and cockier each time.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I’m never not leery about people saying “he’s just like one of us” as a good thing. I know me. I don’t consider that a compliment. 

This is so true. I concur, wholeheartedly. Same here.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Swole’s comments about the internal structure in the company were pretty fair criticism and came off well. but I feel the diversity card was just a way for her to find an excuse to being let go instead of taking any blame for really not being good enough.

The problem with this train of thought is that her comments about diversity didn't really seem to be related to her own push but how she saw the company treating POC in general. She also wasn't let go as that implies she was fired. Her contract expired. Maybe AEW didn't try to renew because a lack of skill, but seeing that she said they were asking her about her issues with them on the way out that seems pretty unlikely and more a case of Khan being petty over criticism.

• Like 1