DVDVR Message Board

2022 Subscription Services, Finances and Other Stuff

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Gonzo said:

G4TV is officially dead again and they didn't even make an effort to bring back Code Monkeys.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/g4-tv-channel-dead-again-shutdown/

Quote from the article.:

has been scrapped entirely with all shows canceled and the station shuttered. Scott said that the station never created any traction and wasn’t worth the money, which is probably very true considering many readers reading this probably just found out G4 was back. 

I knew they were talking about bringing G4 back.  I was unaware the site/network had actually launched.

Edited by madl

Too bad.  I thought they were off to a good start with all of the B4G4 programming featuring Austin Creed, Adam Sessler, and Kevin Pereira and I actually liked the new guys that were the hosts of the refurbished X-Play.

That Tyler1 E-sports show was a big fat turdburger, though.  Only Dellor is a more unlikeable Twitch streamer personality.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

G4 coming back was the result of something people were nostalgic for that had no reason to come back.  It could have stayed dormant where people can go back and say they brought gaming to mainstream TV when Youtube and all were either in its infancy or not even a thing yet.  Instead they kept to a formula that worked then and didn't really sort out how to make it work now.  They also tried to have everything from the start and without a solid foundation were doomed.  I would have just had them start on Twitch and show a mix of old and new content.  Then ride the wave from there and see where it takes them.

• Like 2

Hindsight being 20/20, I think the best time for a G4 re-launch would've been to have it coincide with E3 2022 since it is going to be the first live convention since COVID and the downsizing.  I think that would've made for a bigger splash.

G4 came back to little if any fanfare and it really showed.  I didn't figure out which channel it was on in my guide until like six months after it came back.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

G4 coming back was the result of something people were nostalgic for that had no reason to come back.  It could have stayed dormant where people can go back and say they brought gaming to mainstream TV when Youtube and all were either in its infancy or not even a thing yet.  Instead they kept to a formula that worked then and didn't really sort out how to make it work now.  They also tried to have everything from the start and without a solid foundation were doomed.  I would have just had them start on Twitch and show a mix of old and new content.  Then ride the wave from there and see where it takes them.

Did they integrate any of the programming into Peacock? Seems like all of that kind of programming would be better fit as a section of a streaming service not a cable channel. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Casey said:

So I guess this would be the right thread to post about Bob Iger taking the reigns back as CEO of Disney effective immediately, right?

The initial reactions have been pretty funny. Everyone's seeing what they want out of this. Fixing the pricing in the parks. An end to "wokeness." More "wokeness." No more adult content on Disney+. The Owl House getting saved. More Pixar. Less live action. etc. 

Netflix isn't saying but the scuttle is that their Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery one week theater run netted them approximately $15 million (in about 600 theaters)

Rival studios are, of course, saying its less - putting the number at only $12 million

Glass Onion starts its Netflix run on Dec 23

On the flip side - Strange World absolutely bombed for Disney

$11.9 million for the weekend ($18.6 million for the full 5 day Holiday frame)

It pretty much is the worst opening ever for a Disney movie (it barely beat West Side Story which made $10.5 its opening weekend but that was during the pandemic)

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Netflix isn't saying but the scuttle is that their Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery one week theater run netted them approximately $15 million (in about 600 theaters)

Rival studios are, of course, saying its less - putting the number at only $12 million

Glass Onion starts its Netflix run on Dec 23

Here's some more inside baseball on Glass Onion and really, Glass Onion and the Fablemans. So awhile back Glass Onion was supposed to release a lot sooner on Netflix. Then that all changed when Steven Spielberg went to Netflix to pitch a fit over the Fablemans competing with Glass Onion, so Glass Onion was then moved to Christmas time.

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

On the flip side - Strange World absolutely bombed for Disney

$11.9 million for the weekend ($18.6 million for the full 5 day Holiday frame)

It pretty much is the worst opening ever for a Disney movie (it barely beat West Side Story which made $10.5 its opening weekend but that was during the pandemic)

That's because Disney didn't promote it at all

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Apparently WBD wants to change the name of HBO Max to just Max. 

Ditching your brand name with 40+ years of recognition for some shit you can't even google is... pretty much on par with the rest of the decision WBD has made.

I will put this here since it seems better than clogging the TV thread with it

The Miss Universe Pageant is moving to The Roku Channel.

Steve Harvey is out as host and will be replaced by an unnamed female host.

It is a one year deal

26 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Ditching your brand name with 40+ years of recognition for some shit you can't even google is... pretty much on par with the rest of the decision WBD has made.

The sooner Zaslav sells this thing the better. 

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

HBO had their 50th anniversary last month, there was barely any mention of it on HBO or HBOMax. 

I had no idea Max Headroom was initially a music video/interview/basically a variety show in Britain; all I remember is being like six years old and seeing this weird shit on TV (the later sci-fi series). So, I delved into the original and found out they aired the video for the incredible Bauhaus cover of "Ziggy Stardust" along with Divine's "Walk Like A Man" (!) among other things. Sting appeared on one and RUTGER HAUER appeared on another. 

Was the other series good? Because that shit is right up my alley. 

On 12/6/2022 at 9:14 AM, odessasteps said:

Apparently WBD wants to change the name of HBO Max to just Max. 

Somebody making way too much money came up with a decision even a 5-year old would know is stupid. 

• Haha 1