DVDVR Message Board

2022 Subscription Services, Finances and Other Stuff

RIPPA

MGM will no longer partner with Universal Studios for International Movie distribution.

Their new partnership is with Warner Brothers

However the deal will not include the following movies: Bond 26, Till and Women Talking (these still fall under the old distribution deal with Universal)

Nexstar is officially becoming the owner of CW

They are buying a 75% stake from WB/Discovery and Paramount (each will split the remaining 25%)

The sale is supposed to close sometime during the third quarter

On 8/11/2022 at 5:55 PM, Stefanie Without Stefanie said:

ESPN+ carries live programming (NHL, college sports), so my guess is that ads are unavoidable.

Yeah,  i remember when it first launched,  they didn't show commercials on some of the live programming,  but they also didn't have anything to put in their place. It was just a static screen, and I don't blame them from selling that space. They can show nothing for free or something for money,  might as well show something. 

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Nexstar is officially becoming the owner of CW

They are buying a 75% stake from WB/Discovery and Paramount (each will split the remaining 25%)

The sale is supposed to close sometime during the third quarter

According to the Nexstar CEO, the average age of the CW viewer is 58, so they’re changing their programming to target… the 58 yr olds they’re already attracting?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

According to the Nexstar CEO, the average age of the CW viewer is 58, so they’re changing their programming to target… the 58 yr olds they’re already attracting?

Is that all the old comic book readers watching Flash et al? 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 hours ago, supremebve said:

Yeah,  i remember when it first launched,  they didn't show commercials on some of the live programming,  but they also didn't have anything to put in their place. It was just a static screen, and I don't blame them from selling that space. They can show nothing for free or something for money,  might as well show something. 

Yeah, since the NHL package would still have local carriage requirements, they have to take those ad breaks, so it's either simulcast the local commercials or plug in the overlay. If you're paying someone to override the local signal with the overlay anyway, you might as well plug in your own commercials, like you said.

Same goes for college sports having media timeouts baked into their rulesets. I once watched a college basketball game where there was dead air because there was no local televised broadcast but they still had a radio broadcast, so since there were no commercials to override, you just had dead air and a shot of the stadium hard cam to watch for three minutes.

Video Game mega company Embracer has bought Middle Earth Enterprises, the holding company that owns all of J.R.R. Tolkien’s works

The rights include movies, books, theatrical productions, video games, theme parks and merchandise in Tolkein’s most famous literary works – “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” – as well as “matching rights” in other literary works related to Middle-earth and authorized by the Tolkien Estate and HarperCollins, primarily “The Silmarillion” and “The Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth,” two compilations which were published after the writer’s death in 1973.

Embracer already had the rights to publish board games and card games based on “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit”

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Lol I can’t wait to find out who Embracer is laundering money for one day.

Saudi Arabia already injected them with a few billion dollars earlier this year or last, can’t remember when.

So… y’know…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Video Game mega company Embracer has bought Middle Earth Enterprises, the holding company that owns all of J.R.R. Tolkien’s works

Embracer already had the rights to publish board games and card games based on “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit”

They're also buying Limited Run Games.

https://embracer.com/release/embracer-group-enters-into-an-agreement-to-acquire-limited-run-games/

HBO Max said goodbye to:

Spoiler

12 Dates of Christmas
About Last Night
Aquaman: King of Atlantis
Close Enough
Detention Adventure
Dodo
Ellen's Next Great Designer
Elliott From Earth
Esme & Roy
The Fungies!
Generation Hustle
Genera+ion
Infinity Train
Little Ellen
Mao Mao, Heroes of Pure Heart
Messy Goes to Okido
Mia's Magic Playground
Mighty Magiswords
My Dinner with Herve
My Mom, Your Dad
Odo
OK, K.O.! – Let's Be Heroes
The Ollie & Moon Show
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
Ravi Patel's Pursuit of Happiness
Select Sesame Street Specials
Make It Big, Make It Small
Squish
Summer Camp Island
The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo
The Runaway Bunny – Special
Theodosia
Tig n' Seek
Uncle Grandpa
Victor and Valentino
Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs

• Sad 1

I'm just absolutely baffled by what the plan is with removing original content they own.

I get wanting to cut costs. I get wanting to merge the two brands into one streaming service.

I don't get how making the service less appealing by reducing content that they already own and do not have to license helps.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm just absolutely baffled by what the plan is with removing original content they own.

I get wanting to cut costs. I get wanting to merge the two brands into one streaming service.

I don't get how making the service less appealing by reducing content that they already own and do not have to license helps.

From the Variety article linked below. 

Taking off the titles from streaming would also help Warner Bros. Discovery cut costs by removing lesser-watched programs to save money on residuals.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/hbo-max-originals-removed-1235344286/

MoviePass is attempting a comeback

MoviePass, the movie theater ticket subscription startup that had a meteoric rise and fall, will relaunch in beta form on Labor Day, Insider can exclusively report.

Insider reported last November that MoviePass cofounder Stacy Spikes had bought the company back after its parent company, Helios and Matheson Analytics (HMNY), went bankrupt. Since then Spikes and his team have been diligently working on a relaunch of the popular service.

Beginning at 9 a.m. ET on Thursday, a waitlist will open on moviepass.com for those wishing to join the beta version.
The waitlist will be open for five days on a first come, first served basis. It will be free to sign up with MoviePass — all that's required is an email address and zip code. Once the waitlist closes, the initial group of beta users will be notified on Labor Day (September 5) and will be offered three price tiers to choose from.

Prices will vary depending on the user's home market, but general pricing will be $10, $20, or $30 a month. Each subscription option will give the user a number of credits to use each month to see movies. There won't be an unlimited option during the beta version.

Users who make the cut for the beta will also be given 10 friend invites to use MoviePass.

According to MoviePass, the service has partnerships with 25% of theaters in the US. Users of the beta version will be able to order movie tickets through the app or can wait for their MoviePass card to come in the mail and use that at any theater box office that accepts MasterCard.

The card will be black, as MoviePass is scrapping its previous red branding. Insider was given an exclusive first look at what the card will look like:

6302b27ac2794d00197eebe2?width=1000&form

https://www.businessinsider.com/moviepass-relaunching-details-how-to-sign-up-2022-8

Depending on the stock quote at the moment, Discover/WB has now lost more than $2 billion in market cap since they removed everything from HBOMax.  

David Zaslov, Super Genius. 

• Haha 2

I debated putting this in TV but since it is more of a business decision

NBC is considering handing over its 10 p.m. primetime programming hour to local stations, Variety has confirmed.

Insiders say that this conversation has happened multiple times over the past 10 years, and emphasize this is not the first time this option has been discussed at the broadcaster, this is just the most recent in an ongoing conversation and could lead to no changes at all.

Additionally, sources say NBCU is not mulling this as a cost-cutting move that would lead to less programming, but one made to best utilize the broadcast brand vs. streaming and cable options.

“While NBC is the number one network, we are always looking at strategies to ensure that our broadcast business remains as strong as possible,” an NBC spokesperson said in a statement to Variety Friday. “As a company, our advantage lies in our ability to provide audiences with the content they love across broadcast, cable and streaming.”

NBC declined further comment.

NBC wouldn’t be the first broadcaster to leave the 10 p.m. hour to local stations, something Fox and the CW Network have been doing for years. Currently, NBC, ABC and CBS are the only English-language broadcast networks that air shows at 10 p.m., usually dramas.

The Wall Street Journal first reported the news