DVDVR Message Board

2022 Subscription Services, Finances and Other Stuff

RIPPA

Not gonna lie, when I joked about the Warner-Discovery merger basically being a repeat of the AOL-Warner merger with the incoming boss fucking hating everything done by the previous regime and nuke it, I really didn't think Discovery was going to outright nuke everything AT&T was letting Warner do.

17 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Peacock

I dont watch soaps but after 57 years at NBC, Days Of Our Lives will move exclusively to the Peacock streaming service in Sep. 

My mom, who has been watching it since pretty much day 1, is very unhappy about this move. And she GETS peacock. But she hates using it. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

HBO Max and Discovery + to merge

Well that had pretty much been known but at least they are starting to reveal plans

The two things will be merged under one "name" (name not announced)

Will happen Summer 2023 for the US. Other regions will be sometime in 2024

And then there was this

Alongside the news of the merged platforms, Warner Bros. Discovery seemed to suggest that it would no longer looking to follow the model of releasing items all onto its streaming platforms, with Perrette specifically noting that “In recent years, a strategy has emerged that suggests the video business will be better off collapsing all windows into streaming, overpaying for and over-investing in content, and offering it all at the same time for a low price” before saying that the company did not believe in that strategy.

Top Gun Maverick has passed Titanic for two different things

It (TGM) is now Paramount's highest grossing film ever

Maverick has also now has the 7th biggest domestic box office ($662 million)

Currently 6th is Avengers: Infinity War ($678 million)

It (TGM) has made even more internationally ($690 million) and I should point out that it hasn't played in China or Russia

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 11:49 AM, supremebve said:

It's truly amazing that you can buy a company you can't afford and just fire all the people who made that product valuable and claim you are making a profit. Capitalism everybody. 

CEO culture, baby.  Ride in on your horse, make some big and noisy moves to temporarily keep the stockholders happy, "resign" with a golden parachute once things inevitably turn south, then take another CEO job somewhere else and do it all over again.  It's like being a middling white QB in the NFL.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

And people think AEW isn't gonna get screwed next year with these fucks running WBD.

There is a reason I stopped bringing it up

I was tired of getting yelled at

Conversely, I’ve already gotten tired of trying to coax people down from the ledge, so I’ve pretty much stopped commenting on it. It’s clear that everybody has made their mind up and is just going to believe what they want, at this point.

Not going to jump into the what's WarnerDiscovery going to do to AEW, but I have a feeling in a few years the "basic cable channels" like TBS, TNT, USA, AMC, Paramount and the FX's will just be glorified preview channels for their respective corporate overlords streaming service.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Not going to jump into the what's WarnerDiscovery going to do to AEW, but I have a feeling in a few years the "basic cable channels" like TBS, TNT, USA, AMC, Paramount and the FX's will just be glorified preview channels for their respective corporate overlords streaming service.

That's sad but also I pretty much wouldn't mind it.  I use Sling for "basic cable" but all I really watch is:

• AEW shows
  • My local news, which is awful in both presentation and content and I could give up in a heartbeat
  • Better Call Saul, which wraps up soon

If AEW moved to DiscoveryPlus/HBO/whatever, I could cancel Sling and save $35 a month.

Disney has officially announced the price increases for Disney+ and Hulu

Disney+

• With ads (monthly) - $7.99 (This is the current price for the non-ad version0
  • Without ads (monthly) - $10.99
  • Without ads (yearly) - $109.99

Hulu

• With ads (monthly) - $7.99
  • With ads (yearly) - $79.99
  • Without ads (monthly) - $14.99

The story I got this from makes no mention of what is happening with folks that have the bundle that comes with ESPN+

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Disney has officially announced the price increases for Disney+ and Hulu

Disney+

• With ads (monthly) - $7.99 (This is the current price for the non-ad version0
  • Without ads (monthly) - $10.99
  • Without ads (yearly) - $109.99

Hulu

• With ads (monthly) - $7.99
  • With ads (yearly) - $79.99
  • Without ads (monthly) - $14.99

The story I got this from makes no mention of what is happening with folks that have the bundle that comes with ESPN+

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/10/23300460/disney-plus-price-increase-ads-streaming

They're adding two tiers to the bundle.

Bundle with just Hulu and Disney+ (with ads only) - $9.99
Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+ (with ads) - $12.99
Disney+ with no ads, Hulu and ESPN+ with ads - $14.99
Disney+ and Hulu with no ads, ESPN+ with ads - $19.99

So there's a bundle with ads of all three, a bundle with ad free D+ and the other two with ads, a bundle with D+ and Hulu ad free but ESPN+ with ads, but there's not a bundle with all three ad free?

I don't get the logic

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So there's a bundle with ads of all three, a bundle with ad free D+ and the other two with ads, a bundle with D+ and Hulu ad free but ESPN+ with ads, but there's not a bundle with all three ad free?

I don't get the logic

ESPN+ carries live programming (NHL, college sports), so my guess is that ads are unavoidable.