DVDVR Message Board

2022 Subscription Services, Finances and Other Stuff

RIPPA

In the hopes of luring more Movie and TV productions to film in the state, Arizona is set to pass a 15-20% tax break on production costs. The credit will have annual cap rising from $75 million to $125 million over three years.

Basically, they were tired of everything going to New Mexico

The full story is a hoot for the baffling logic the politicians - both for and against - used in casting their vote

https://variety.com/2022/politics/news/arizona-film-tax-credit-125-million-1235308004/

That is a funny read. Leaving the politics out of it, this is probably the best quote otherwise: 

Rep. Justin Wilmeth, a Republican from Phoenix, argued during a floor debate that the state has been losing out to “other states that are uglier and less cool than Arizona.” 

Not sure if Arizonans (is that even a term?) consider their state "cool". Then again, probably the worst of them (see above) think it's too cool. 

EDIT: Heh, if Woke Hollywood reads this I hope they decide to stay in New Mexico just to spite them.

Edited by Curt McGirt

I don't want to start an advice thread so this might be where to put my question. 

I have a Dish Network DVR. How can I save some of the files on it to a PC? I have a ton of Dynamite and Rampage and basically everything else that I'd like to save on some kind of external hard drive or my new laptop to save up space. If I have to buy another DVR and chain them together, I can do that too. 

Minions: The Rise of Gru became the biggest opening ever over 4th of July weekend ever with $125.1 million

It surpassed Transformers: Dark of the Moon ($115.9 million) for the record

We just did it for Paramount+ (Discovery back half of the season, Picard S2, BNW, back half of Prodigy for the 10 year old, Blues Clues for the 4 year old), Starz (The Becoming Elizabeth show, the Ghostbusters movie), and Epix (Because the wife likes how batshit crazy Brittania is). 

Not sure if there's anything else we'll look at on any of these.

Yes it is sports related but many have it via the Disney bundle

The cost of ESPN+ is jumping from $6.99 a month to $9.99 starting August 23 (A yearly subscription can be bought at $99.99)

The Disney Bundle's price will remain $13.99 however the always ominous "for now" was included in the press release

• Like 1

This is the reason I never signed up for the Disney Bundle.  I might have saved $1/m, but I refuse to give any money to ESPN after 22 years of subsidizing that bullshit with my cable bill while never once watching it.

PSA for the gamers among us: the 22nd (so probably tonight at midnight) is the last day to redeem either a 6 month (PS5) or 3 month (PS4) trial of Apple TV+. I previously had a free trial through Apple when I bought a new iPhone a year ago, and it still let me claim this with my Apple ID, so yeah. Go get that shit.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Because just what everyone wanted... Hulu will now start airing political and issue ads

I'm surprised they weren't already. Guess it will serve as encouragement for people to go ad-less .

They absolutely have been airing political ads for a while.  I was getting boatloads of local ads for county garbage I didn't care about.  Plus they've been doing a lot of those lame-ass dark money ads about specific bills that Big Tech or the medical/pharma industry are lobbying for/against for a long, long time.  Though I'm not surprised about the initial dropping or the subsequent backlash: cowards gonna coward, after all.

Okay - apparently it was they weren't running ads for "contentious issues" (NPR specifically stated abortion rights and gun control in their story)

Everything Everywhere All at Once has become the first A24 movie to make over $100 million globally

Current breakdown is $68.9 million domestically, $31.1 million internationally

• Like 2