DVDVR Message Board

2022 Subscription Services, Finances and Other Stuff

RIPPA

On 4/22/2022 at 1:39 AM, Eivion said:

Did they? Weren't the numbers loss less than 1%?

It's less about the number and more about just "OMG we lost subscribers"

It sent the stock price tumbling.

Same with Facebook having less users for the first time ever a bit ago.

The percentage is trivial, but the goal and "only acceptable result" is constant growth. Like a tumor.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 3

Plus Netflix already projected it would lose subscribers again in Q2

And apparently there is some reporting that is saying Netflix's plan is to double down on their new video game department to help right the ship

Not quite sure how that would work but... yeah

I stopped subscribing a few months ago. I just found I was using it less and less as so many shows are spread out over so many different services. I want to watch Russian Doll season 2, but I'm sure there are other means that I can use for that.

Subscribed to Prime because they had a student deal for 6 months free and $4 a month for the rest of the time in school. Being an old guy in college has its perks.

Tubi had pretty much taken over as the streaming service I would use most, along with Plex for stuff I downloaded. Netflix just didn't make sense anymore. I would scroll for 2 hours to try and find anything interesting to watch, their selection is pretty poor once you blow through the few shows and movies you've bookmarked.

Comcast and Charter have announced a joint streaming platform

The two companies on Wednesday announced a 50-50 joint venture to develop and offer a next-generation streaming platform on a variety of branded 4K streaming devices and smart TVs to reach customers in major markets across the country with the platform.

Comcast will license Flex, its aggregated streaming platform and hardware to the JV, contribute the retail business for XClass TVs, and contribute Xumo, the free, ad-supported streaming service it acquired in 2020. Charter will make an initial contribution of $900 million, funded over multiple years.

The XClass TVs will be available through national retail partners and potentially direct from Comcast and Charter to provide more customer choice. Xumo will continue to operate as a free global streaming service available through the joint venture’s products and third-party devices. Charter will offer the 4K streaming TV devices and voice remotes beginning in 2023. Comcast will continue to offer the Flex streaming platform as a streaming device and service to its customers.

-------------

The joint venture’s products will feature hundreds of free content choices through Xumo, which currently delivers more than 200 unique streaming channels. Peacock also will be featured on the JV’s streaming platform, alongside other popular apps.

The closing of the joint venture is subject to customary closing conditions. This joint venture does not involve the broadband or cable video businesses of either Comcast or Charter, which will remain independent, the companies said.

• 4 weeks later...

Sweet sweet box office news - I missed you so

Everything Everywhere All At Once has become A24's highest grossing film in the US and Canada ever (Uncut Gems was the previous best)

Everything Everywhere has made just over $52 million domestically (almost $57 million worldwide)

For the A24 overall record, it still has to catch Heredity ($80 million worldwide thanks to a huge international BO)

• Like 1

Top Gun: Maverick made $156 million over the 4-day holiday weekend setting the following marks

- Biggest Memorial Day weekend opening (previous: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End’s)

- Biggest Tom Cruise opening ever (previous: War of the Worlds)

- 3-Day total ($126.7 million) is the 2nd largest for a Paramount movie (#1 is Iron Man 2)

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Top Gun: Maverick made $156 million over the 4-day holiday weekend setting the following marks

- Biggest Memorial Day weekend opening (previous: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End’s)

- Biggest Tom Cruise opening ever (previous: War of the Worlds)

- 3-Day total ($126.7 million) is the 2nd largest for a Paramount movie (#1 is Iron Man 2)

Yeeeeeeah! Bring on Flashdance: Maniac, Rain Man: Wapner, and Real Genius: Lazlo Hollyfield

But of course you know Stallone is like "Ay you know Cobretti...that's the one. People really loved that man...call Warner or Paramount or or dose guys still around or...."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Party's over. It was only ever going to take one poorly received quarter.

One thing many agree on is that the era of expensive vanity projects at Netflix, whether animation or live action (like Martin Scorsese’s $175 million The Irishman), is likely over. “This tendency to do anything to attract talent and giving them carte blanche is going away,” says one person.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/netflix-movies-knives-out-gray-man-red-notice-1235156868/

On 6/1/2022 at 4:05 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Party's over. It was only ever going to take one poorly received quarter.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/netflix-movies-knives-out-gray-man-red-notice-1235156868/

Giving Scorsese that much money never made sense without doing a robust theatrical run before putting it on Netflix. There was literally no path to ever making that money back.

Marvel put Morbius back in theatres because of all the "Morbin time" memes and it made $85 000, or $82 per theatre. Perfection

e: maybe i should have ventured into the comics folder and seen this was already mentioned? no, no i should not have

Edited by elizium
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, elizium said:

Marvel put Morbius back in theatres because of all the "Morbin time" memes and it made $85 000, or $82 per theatre. Perfection

e: maybe i should have ventured into the comics folder and seen this was already mentioned? no, no i should not have

Pedantic: That's fully Sony's call, not Marvel's

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Pedantic: That's fully Sony's call, not Marvel's

Although given how prominently they plastered the word "Marvel" on the trailer, some confusion is understandable. It appears Sony's current strategy is to be like one of those Disney knock-off companies, but for the MCU.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like a major point has gone over some exec's head.

EDIT: Goddammit, I pasted as plain text!!! I give up.

Edited by RIPPA
Fixed link

Comcast has announced that it will be ending the "Peacock is free for Comcast/Xfinity customers" benefit

No timetable was announced just that it would be ending

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You didn't read the full subject did you?

It only took me 6 months to realize that the Box office thread mereged with the Subscription thread.

• Like 1