DVDVR Message Board

2022 Subscription Services, Finances and Other Stuff

RIPPA

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For those who have XBOX Game Pass Ultimate - you should have received notice to activate your free month trial of Paramount+

Grr...I of course find out about this now when two days ago I only saw the 7-day trial since I didn't use Game Pass.  I'll either cancel it and use a different email for the month trial or I'll just check out everything and be done with the app for now.

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Amazon is rebranding IMBD TV to Amazon Freevee

The relaunch is scheduled for April 27

Maybe they could put commercial breaks where TV shows have actual commercial breaks this time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Maybe they could put commercial breaks where TV shows have actual commercial breaks this time.

This is what I hate about pretty much all ad supported streaming. So many commercials randomly popping up in the middle of a scene, occasionally the middle of a line.

• Like 1

Part of the reason Amazon is doing it is apparently the number of original programming on the app is going up something like 70%

So I would imagine those shows at least would have normal ad breaks

On 4/12/2022 at 10:41 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Good, good.  We loved the movie and it brought back TONS of memories for my wife.  We had to pause it a few times for her to not only tell stories but also calm down after realizing how much that was her.  Really can't recommend this movie enough though I leave it up to her to do the recommendations.

Still think there was no good reason at all to not do it in theatres and this proves that whatever reasoning they had was bullshit.

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Given their subscription losses, they have to do something.

It is interesting that one of the two reasons they cited was folks password sharing

I would say it is more that folks have started to return to work and thought "I got this during the pandemic and now I don't need" to go along with the 852014412 million services folks have to choose from now

I think it’s that all the studios having their own channel means that you just pick who has either the best original content or is home to your favorite stuff. Amazon Prime has the factor of the free shipping and streaming content.

Well the sub numbers and this explains the complete shit Netflix stock is currently taking (it's currently down 37% on the day, which is fucking massive)

I'm sure pumping it's costs to over what Warner is charging for HBO didn't help.

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It is interesting that one of the two reasons they cited was folks password sharing

I would say it is more that folks have started to return to work and thought "I got this during the pandemic and now I don't need" to go along with the 852014412 million services folks have to choose from now

Probably ties into that "gotta pick which one I really want" reasoning that you're talking about, but quality of content is probably a factor too. For every good TV show or movie Netflix puts out, there's another 30 they pump out that's hot garbage, like some shitty Christmas romcom or a reality show about divorced people. And god forbid if you happen to like a show, there's a 60% chance Netflix will cancel it after a cliffhanger ending or something.

No, this isn't me still salty about Santa Clarita Diet being axed. Not at all.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And the first victim of the WB/Discovery merger is CNN+ which is getting shut down

It was doomed the second Zucker left.  That it's sub numbers are awful even 20 days into a launch didn't help.

That's not stopping the Fox crowd from taking victory laps today, even if they're about to find out from fucking around with Mickey's money.

Edited by Raziel