DVDVR Message Board

INDY WRESTLING THREAD~

RIPPA

I watch wrestling with a much more mindless eye as opposed to a critical one these days for sanity’s sake,  so the atmosphere at GCW made it a fun show, but I really only enjoyed the Lucha 6 man and Christian/Rush from a quality standpoint. I popped a lot for theme song choices (Homicide, Gimme Back My Bullets, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road). This was my first gcw content, not sure I’ll watch again. 

• Like 1

I rolled the dice on this one and was pleasantly surprised.  Boy did it feel like an old ECW ppv (or maybe ALL IN).  Especially, from a production standpoint.  Bad timing cues left them with too much time left during the pre show and scrambling to squeeze everything in at the end.  Inexperience I’ll guess is the culprit here.

Blake Christian and Gringo Loco were stand outs to me. Plus I really liked having the rotation of announcers.  

But hey!  The stream held up great the whole show.  So my fear of an early 2010s ROH disaster was misplaced.  

Edited by Brandon Bones

Is bleeding banned in NYC? Because that was the most bloodless GCW show I've ever seen. It felt like they put all of the Deathmatch guys in the Brass Ring match and then had them not do glass spots, and I thought "Oh, they're saving the blood for the title matches". And then the title matches had nobody bleeding.

Mox vs Homicide felt like a very similar match to Mox vs Ethan Page two days earlier. 

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Will be curious to see the fallout from the Nick Wayne story, especially if the identity of the "squealer/narc" is revealed. 

(If he was indeed ratted out to the commission) 

Is that why Wayne wasn't on the card? Someone outed that he's only 16 and the NYSAC wasn't gonna let it happen?

Edit - since when is blood banned in NY? I watched Jay Freddie and Jason Axe for 2CW hit the Muta level with blood no more than 4 months ago in Rochester, NY.
f74xwBR.jpg

Edited by Krone Meltzer

Pulled the trigger and ordered the show. I really tried to get a sense of why this fed was getting so much hype. To me this felt like a giant local indy show. It had everything you would expect. The out of shape local guys. The "names" to bring in some casuals.  The lack of feuds/storylines. The indifferent crowd. 

Cardona/Janela match stood out as actually having a storyline and stupidity of it all was fun. I could see myself ordering future shows to see the storyline continue to unfold.

I was a pass on just about everything else. 

7 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Pulled the trigger and ordered the show. I really tried to get a sense of why this fed was getting so much hype. To me this felt like a giant local indy show. It had everything you would expect. The out of shape local guys. The "names" to bring in some casuals.  The lack of feuds/storylines. The indifferent crowd. 

Cardona/Janela match stood out as actually having a storyline and stupidity of it all was fun. I could see myself ordering future shows to see the storyline continue to unfold.

I was a pass on just about everything else. 

Yeah.  The show exceeded my expectations but overall I don’t see myself plopping down another 25 bucks.  Who knows?  Maybe they’ll find a booking that’ll draw me in again.  But it really needed to be FTR as the surprise for the tag title match.

3 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Blood is banned. They had a show a few years ago in NY get shut down due to Lowlife Louie bleeding.

It wasn't because he was "bleeding," it was because he was fucking SPRAYING blood from arterial damage after Gage gashed him with Mr Pizza Cutter.

8 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Last year my local indie was trying to find wooden tables for a tables match. They are hard to find and when you do they are 30 to 40 bucks each. Much easier to find and cheaper to use a couple of hollowcore doors across two chairs. Plus the doors will normally break. Seen many a table not want to break.

I understand doors are cheaper and easier to come by, but they make no sense and break kayfabe more than rope running does.  There's a reason for tables at ringside and spare tables under the ring.  But unless you're having a match at Home Depot or maybe in your local contractor's yard, there is zero reason to have a stack of interior hollow core doors just laying around at a wrestling match. 

Regarding the show, nothing says "true outlaw indie spirit" like putting bigger part timers over your homegrown stars.  This really was GCW's Wrestlemania!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I understand doors are cheaper and easier to come by, but they make no sense and break kayfabe more than rope running does.  There's a reason for tables at ringside and spare tables under the ring.  But unless you're having a match at Home Depot or maybe in your local contractor's yard, there is zero reason to have a stack of interior hollow core doors just laying around at a wrestling match. 

I don't know where you've been but there's a Forbidden Door in every arena now.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Agree with much of the sentiment discussed. 

I've loathed scrambles since they first started appearing on my periphery with ROH in the early aughts.  AEW's recent ladder matches have also made clear that I absolutely loathe ladder matches.  Sure, they can be done well, but it's a rarity.  That said, I loved the atmosphere of the Hammerstein and was really pulling for GCW.  Tho, realistically, I've never done anything but skim the GCW shows I've seen.  This was no different.  Did they make any mention of the fact that Lio Rush wasn't in the match after being advertised?  I would've loved one of those impromptu Paul E PPV promos to begin the show to lay out the changes.  I was jumping around clipping this match, so I'm wondering if AJ Gray did anything of interest after his diving elbow botch and getting the win?  Because I didn't see anything inbetween this and so subsequently it felt like a lame duck winner here.     

The Six man was excellent.  I'm really hoping AEW signs Bandido for my weekly TV pleasure.  Gringo Loco is only a better look (prison jumpsuit and bandana?) away from being a nice midcard level star.  

This is the second time I've seen Blake Christian cut a potty mouth amped-up-intense promo.  It could use some work.  The in ring with Rush was fine here, but I wasn't into enough to not skim passed most of it.  Lio is really talented, I can't help but think some CBT training would do him a world of wonders.

I really dig the Cardonas and am pleased to see them making things happen for themselves.  Not to say everything she does is great (and I never saw her WWE work), but Chelsea is a wonderful heel and an absolute star.  Why she isn't signed to appear on the Turner stations is a bit of a headscratcher.  Janela deserves credit for working his ass off to get into shape.  All that said, I couldn't help but skip most of the action.  Dug Brian Myers 'Edging' in there.  GCW could greatly benefit from the criminally underrated Myers.  I wonder if Soul Train Jones was supposed to do something other than the simple thing he seemed barely capable of doing?  

I only really caught the finish of Soho-Katch and I felt sorry for Ruby. 

I dug the highlights I skimmed of Effy-Jarrett.  I wonder what the thinking was that resulted in Jarrett going over? 

Great to see Mance Warner, can we get him an AEW contract already?  Seemed sorta lame to have Sabu show up incapable of doing anything.  I sympathize with his inability to do any moves, but can he at least be his ring gear?  The track pants don't quite do him justice.  Why is Bill Alfonso not blowing his whistle every week on somebody's television?  He'd be a nice pick-up for GCW, but I'm doubting this was anything but a one off.  Cueing up RVD's theme seemed like it was foolishly asking for a disappointed NYC crowd.  Why not just play Sabu's fantastic ECW theme?  

I didn't see much of Mox-Homicide (assume it was good) or the Tag Main (I'm sure the Briscoes did what they could).  Seems like a complete oversight to have the Briscoes set for a surprise opponent that everyone was expecting/hoping to be FTR.  On top of that not laying out a Gage bout prior seems like a mistake.  He's a regular not a reveal.  He and Tremont, no surprise, were able to garner a response in house, but I can't help but think the majority of the ppl watching, like me, were disappointed by the lack of Cash and Dax. 

Ha, Gage closing out the show with a few words was heartwarming, of course.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

If this show was an opportunity for GCW to cement themselves as the best place to go for wrestling outside WWE and AEW and win some new viewers, it was sadly a flop.

The sell out crowd were great, but the biggest problem remains the lack of real talent, and mixed with a bunch of questionable booking moves, disappointing no-show from Gresham, and some outright flubs made for a mixed bag that was more bad than good, though the core fanbase GCW already has may have left satisfied

The luchadores 6-man was easily the best match on the show and maybe the only thing that was actually good. Nice MPRO style spotfest. Not everything was timed smoothly (in fact there was way too much of guys obviously standing around waiting for their cue) but I liked that they added their own wrinkles to this format and those wrinkles were all pretty cool. ASF was the only weak link but all the rudos were really good.

Has it been confirmed why Gresh wasn't there? That really deflated the crowd and brought them back down to earth, and that Christian vs Rush match was forgettable.

Cardona vs Janela kinda worked as a tribute to absurdly over-booked ECW fuckfests but at 20 minutes went way too long for my attention span, and the actual wrestling wasn't particularly good.

Riot vs Katch was also pretty mediocre and that finish really soured the crowd. They were already going to be disappointed in Katch losing, but teasing an avalanche piledriver then just having a standard Riot Kick as the finish really didn't play well at all. That and Jarrett over Effy were really baffling calls.

There is a universe where Moxley vs Homicide could have a cool bloody street fight together, but in this universe we get them working another tired New Japan tribute match which was dead boring.

Main event at least had a huge pop for Gage's return but that finish, good grief what a fuck up that was. Made everything look real bush league, which isn't a great look for your lasting impression.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, killsteve said:

If this show was an opportunity for GCW to cement themselves as the best place to go for wrestling outside WWE and AEW and win some new viewers, it was sadly a flop.

I agree, but let's be honest it was never meant to be.  Outside of the better (not great) production, this Hammerstein show was pretty consistent with (what I've seen from) their regular offerings.  I would have loved for them to hit a homerun and go beyond their regular quality level, but that's not realistic.  I actually really admire the fact that GCW/Lauderdale have no interest in producing TV and aim to just continue 'as is'.  That said, my GCW routine will continue to be reading their show results and taking a glance at the barely occasional match recommendation.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I agree, but let's be honest it was never meant to be.  Outside of the better (not great) production, this Hammerstein show was pretty consistent with (what I've seen from) their regular offerings.  I would have loved for them to hit a homerun and go beyond their regular quality level, but that's not realistic. 

I have seen pretty much every GCW show of the last three years or so and it's my favorite promotion in the world.

Yesterday's show was far far below average when it comes to quality for GCW. Chances are you pick any random GCW show out of their catalog and it'll be much better than yesterday's offering.

Does anyone know who said the "I've seen a million GCWs come and go and it's not going to last" quote to Brett Lauderdale? I initially thought it was someone like Jim Cornette, but of course, why would Lauderdale care about what that guy thinks. This must have been someone he used to respect a lot.

Edited by The Z
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Z said:

I have seen pretty much every GCW show of the last three years or so and it's my favorite promotion in the world.

Yesterday's show was far far below average when it comes to quality for GCW. Chances are you pick any random GCW show out of their catalog and it'll be much better than yesterday's offering.

Does anyone know who said the "I've seen a million GCWs come and go and it's not going to last" quote to Brett Lauderdale? I initially thought it was someone like Jim Cornette, but of course, why would Lauderdale care about what that guy thinks. This must have been someone he used to respect a lot.

I'd love to know some highlights in the GCW catalog that you would recommend checking out?  

9 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Some have found ways around it but if the NYSAC is there and someone blades they will shut it down.

Fighting in the crowd will get it shut down too. The NYSAC guy rang/made someone ring the bell in the middle of Dr. Wagner and Psycho Clown when they went to the crowd and used a garbage can in Queens a few years back. They ignored the bell, but quickly went for the finish. 

12 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'd love to know some highlights in the GCW catalog that you would recommend checking out?  

Their last show, "Say You Will" was much better than this one IMO. I'd recommend that as a good starting point.

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

There's no reason for kendo sticks or all manner of other plunder that are regularly used in other promotions either. At least in GCW where garbage matches are a regular occurrence it's reasonable they'd have them on hand for matches that stipulated them.

• Like 1

I went to the show and had fun. Tremont and Gage are much bigger deals than FTR to me. I might have left if it was FTR. I stayed the extra 15 minutes for the main and ended up with a 55 minute wait for my train home.

I go to many of the shows in NJ. I prefer the deathmatch tournaments. The regular shows can sometimes have too many flippy guys, comedy and stories.

• Like 1