DVDVR Message Board

2022 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Oh wait, 'Control' (and '24 hour party people' - two for the Manchester lads) were pretty great.

Yeah, those (especially the latter) were great. But how many others are there? Does Ray still stand up? Are any of the Billie Holiday pics any good? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I watched The United States vs Billie Holiday that came out...last year? The year before?

I liked it, but I know literally nothing about her life other than the music, so I can't really judge it on its merits as a biopic

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, those (especially the latter) were great. But how many others are there? Does Ray still stand up? Are any of the Billie Holiday pics any good? 

I always thought Ray was tacky sentimentality and a waste of a strong lead from Foxx.  Walk the Line straddled the line of mainstream demands a lot better.  The great leads helped them hit the mark.  Spacey’s Darin picture wasn’t for me.  The Tina Turner film was affecting as a kid, but is not a movie I have any desire to go back to.  I did like the hbo Tina doc, but I have a huge soft spot for Ms. Bullock.  If ever a blu ray collects the performances of Ike and Tina it would make clear their place either at the top or near it for best live groups of all time.  For now we have proof of that with the Big TNT show.  James Brown etc have nothing on goddamn Tina Turner!

Edited by HarryArchieGus

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hmmm, now I'm wondering how the James Brown pic with Chadwick Boseman turned out. I've seen the scene where he's wielding the shotgun in the office but that's it. 

I liked it. They take an interesting narrative approach to get around some of the musician biopic trappings. It’s kind of a tough sit since it’s primarily about Brown’s relationship with his co-writer/bandleader Bobby Byrd (Nelsan Ellis), and both Boseman and Ellis moved on at such young ages.

I should check that out.  I was curious about that one.  Jim Carroll, tho more oft thought of as a writer was also a musician, so I'd place 'Basketball Diaries' high on any music biopic list.  Fair enough to anyone thinking that's a stretch.  But biopics in general are kinda stinky and that movie isn't, so...  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

We're forgetting Sid and Nancy. Forrest Whitaker was good in Bird though I haven't seen all of it. There's also Great Balls of Fire and The Doors, though those both probably fall into the super cliche category. I've not seen much of the former but I've watched The Doors plenty of times, and man that is a really good bad movie. 

EDIT: Oh god, The Dirt. Total trash. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 2:57 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm hard pressed to think of many good music biopics in general (tho, I would list 'biopics' as amongst my least favorite genres)?  Oh wait, 'Control' (and '24 hour party people' - two for the Manchester lads) were pretty great.  And Todd Haynes' 'I'm Not There' was fun (tho, took a second spin to appreciate).  Does 'Purple Rain' count?    

I don't know how accurate it is, but I enjoyed Straight Outta Compton quite a bit and am not even much of a rap fan.

• Like 1

That was incredible in the theater, especially with a whole room of high school kids who had never heard "No Vaseline" before going "OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH" when they heard it. 

Anyway: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/nicolas-cage-interview-unbearable-weight-of-massive-talent

One film that’s referenced a few times in the film is 1997’s Face/Off, which is such a fan favorite. There’s been recent talk of a sequel, and that there’s a script reportedly in the works with writer Simon Barrett and director Adam Wingard attached. Is that a story you would like to revisit?

I have not heard hide nor hair about it. So often these things we read about are just conjecture without any base or foundation to it. I feel the same about National Treasure 3. It’s been 14 years. There’s no there, there. So, is it fun to think about? Sure. Would [Face/Off 2] be an exciting movie to make? Oh, hell yeah. But John Woo was such a huge voice in that movie. It couldn’t be a remake. I think these filmmakers even said as much — that something like that would have to be a sequel.

?

Edited by Curt McGirt

My favorite movie about a musician is still I'm Not There. It's so out there, and the soundtrack is full of great artists covering Bob Dylan songs.

Cate Blanchett as electric era Dylan... good shit, man.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

My favorite movie about a musician is still I'm Not There. It's so out there, and the soundtrack is full of great artists covering Bob Dylan songs.

Cate Blanchett as electric era Dylan... good shit, man.

Same here.

For me, Walk Hard killed the traditional biopic.  I can't watch one without thinking of that movie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2022 at 11:50 AM, christopher.annino said:

I don't even like musicals but found ROCKETMAN to be completely fucking great.

Criminal Taron Egerton wasn't nominated for an Academy Award and did his own singing unlike Rami Malek who mimed and won the Academy Award for Best Actor in Bohemian Rhapsody. Dexter Fletcher deserved a Best Director nod also.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Criminal Taron Egerton wasn't nominated for an Academy Award and did his own singing unlike Rami Malek who mimed and won the Academy Award for Best Actor in Bohemian Rhapsody. Dexter Fletcher deserved a Best Director nod also.

Just remembered Rami Malek beat Christian Bale's Dick Cheney in Vice. Bale was robbed.